Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Major major trouble. Massive roll of the dice on Jones. Here’s hoping he can do it. Relegation to League 1 was supposed to be a holiday where we’d batter everyone. Imagine being in division 4...
    Imperative we stay up 
    Carry on like this and we won't be imagining it!

Each transfer window must get more difficult with our reputation as career killers.
  • Options
    I repeat this for about the fifth time now.

But does anyone else think that we could sign a world best XI and still be shit?  Like genuinely it’s like we have a disease slowly shutting the team down that we don’t have a cure for it.
    Spot on. I won't use the Big C word because i have it myself but it's like we are rotten to the core and no player , manager or owner has the answer and neither do we to be fair. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Major major trouble. Massive roll of the dice on Jones. Here’s hoping he can do it. Relegation to League 1 was supposed to be a holiday where we’d batter everyone. Imagine being in division 4….
    Imperative we stay up 
    I still don't really understand how these players are so poor; they shouldn't be on paper. I'm hoping Jones is the right appointment, but I can't help thinking Warnock would be a better fit right now.
  • Options
    charlton v bromley is the upside.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    What happened to AMB's head?
    Derby had a FK after five mins (?), AMB punched the low cross clear, and got a wack for his troubles
  • Options
    Derby five clean sheets from their last nine away games makes it hard to judge whether we were toothless or they’re just very good at keeping the ball out of the net. Probably both?

We started both halves well - would go as far as to say we were better than them for those periods. And they weren’t exactly better than us for long spells at all. But for all the effort, I think it dawned on us that there was going to be no way through them today and the confidence was sapped.

Another day where one mistake costs us but taking in the whole game, I do see signs of positive play and that the next win is right around the corner. It may even be next week at Reading.
    I genuinely wish I could be as optimistic as you. Fair play mate 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just home from that. What a rotten, rotten game.
  • Options
    I honestly feel if Jones is not able to change the weak & fragile mentality in this team by next Saturday and Reading turn us over then we are going down. 

As we have such a tough run and all we can hope for is that new manager bounce. 
  • Options
    We have nobody who can play that killer pass from midfield….maybe Fraser but he’s gone now….
  • Options
    Jones has got his work cut out 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    We have nobody who can play that killer pass from midfield….maybe Fraser but he’s gone now….
    T Taylor from next week hopefully 
  • Options
    "Charlton's ppg so far this season would, on average, see them relegated after a full League One campaign"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I repeat this for about the fifth time now.

But does anyone else think that we could sign a world best XI and still be shit?  Like genuinely it’s like we have a disease slowly shutting the team down that we don’t have a cure for it.
    Spot on. I won't use the Big C word because i have it myself but it's like we are rotten to the core and no player , manager or owner has the answer and neither do we to be fair. 

This is exactly it. Jones wont work. Sorry but he wont. 

Thats no dig at him, or his skills, but he isn't what we need in our state. He may well be a great manager, but the problems lie so much deeper. We are not recoverable in a logical and methodical way. I said back when the current consortium took over that they needed to uncover what being Charlton Athletic is all about again. We are not like any other club - we have had periods of success, but they have happened in ways that are synonymous with being an Addick. 

This didn't have to happen.

• Options
    19th, 3 points clear of the drop but all of the teams below us have games in hand, including Port Vale with three games in hand and one point behind us. 
  • Options
    Possession: Charlton
    Shots: Charlton
    On Target: Draw
    Corners: Charlton
    xG: Charlton
    Passes in oppo half: Charlton
    Touches in oppo box: Charlton
    Shots in oppo box: Derby
    Tackles: Derby
    Goals: Derby
  • Options
    Very good interview with Fleming on Charlton TV. Spot on with the problems. Really would like him to be a prominent coach under NJ.  
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    19th, 3 points clear of the drop but all of the teams below us have games in hand, including Port Vale with three games in hand and one point behind us. 
    Nothing to suggest, and one thing being forgotten, is the fact that none of those teams will suddenly turn into winning machines over the next couple of months either. 

We're all down the bottom because we cant win games. 
    Form from last 5 games: 

24. Carlisle: 0 Points
    23. Fleetwood: 4 Points
    22. Cheltenham: 3 Points
    21. Reading: 8 Points
    20. Port Vale: 4 Points 
    19. Charlton: 1 Point
    18. Burton: 5 Points. 

They don't need to be winning machines, just better than us.