Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Derby v Charlton Athletic | Tues 27th Feb 2024

Comments

• Options
    Great to see the reactions from those not involved tonight as well, like Tayo
    I thought that originally then I changed my mind. Edun reacted like that because the camera was on him 😂
  • Options
    Not read it said but for once wasn’t it nice to have a competent referee.
    tell that to the Derby fans. On their forum they thought he was hopeless.

One even said and I quote "it felt like nothing short of GBH would get a Charlton in the book. Well, they certainly tried hard to live down to that standard, but the ref wasn't interested. His indifference to their thuggery certainly contributed to that second half performance because, unlike against Stevenage, the players were completely knocked out of their stride by these tactics."

which just shows why Nathen Jones says "I don't want to keep Derby at arms length, I want to knock Derby clean out!"
    What a bunch of delusional cry babies !
  • Options
    People were moaning that we didn't replace our best player in January and it turns out our best player all along was a child we've convinced to chase after people like they murdered his cat
    I went to bed with a smile, woke up with a smile, and this thread is one big smile - but nothing has made me smile more broadly than this.

Mind you, did you see the post-match interview with this "child"? He spoke with a maturity and measure way beyond his 19 years. Terry of course was bursting with enthusiasm about the quality of his finish, but he just said "oh, well I just caught it well, it's a basic skill" and i thought, "blimey, kid, I can't wait to see some of the more advanced skills you're obviously working hard on"

Terry's most often used phrase in commentary last night was "superb work by Daniel Kanu"; in the last 10 minutes they wondered if he needed to be subbed and he answered them by roaring past his defender in the channel for the umpteenth time and winning us a precious time-wasting corner. 

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned though, is Alfie May, the forgotten man, probably averaging about 4 hours disturbed sleep a night, who came on and slotted into a number 10 role and then had to convert a penalty. I could hardly bear to watch, as missing that could have had huge consequences for the season. No worries, low and hard into the left corner. No keeper in the world had a chance with that. 

Still smiling...
    Love this post, PA.

Stating the obvious to Addicks,  THREE ex Academy players were on the pitch for every minute of the match last night.

TWO are teenagers.

The THIRD proudly wore the captain's armband.

All three gave their all, ran their socks off & the wide smiles on their faces at the final whistle was a sight to behold. 

Like his 19 year old team mate a week or so ago, the "child" showed us how mature and committed he is to this famous old football club when interviewed post match. 

So, what's the common denominator ?

Clearly something special has been added to their existing skills, pride in "the shirt" and their composure both on & off the pitch. 

Stand up, Nathan Jones.

But, if questioned about their journey to the exalted heights of EFL  football , I am 100% certain that another name would be first on their lips.

Lest we forget.....

Steve Avory.
    Plus Lucas Ness when he was called upon, and he stood up to the test.
  • Options
    A word about Anderson’s strike. It would have been very easy to send that flying over the bar but he hit it perfectly which is a sign of a cool head on such young shoulders.

Along with Small and Kanu, we have some great youngsters making an impact. 
    Computing the rippling net was weird to mentally assimilate, yet afterwards Karoy shrugs and says it was an open goal.
  • Options
    Reluctantly, @msomerton, just wanted to check your score for Coventry in the payer marks thread wasn't a typo of some sort, as it's notably and significantly lower than everyone else's.. just curious.. i only followed the game via the match thread on here..

Jscore: 6
    ISTED: 7
    R.E.G.: 5
    THOMAS: 7
    GILLESPHEY: 7
    T.WATSON: 6
    COVENTRY: 5
    CAMARÁ: 4
    ANDERSON: 7
    SMALL: 7.5
    LADAPO: 4
    KANU: 7
    ANEKE: 7
    MAY: 6 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What I have noticed from the celebration videos from after the game last night is how all the players who did not play or have not been playing much seemed to be buzzing. Jones seems to have got them to all buy into what he is looking to do, and they all seem to be in it together.

Only player I didn't spot celebrating was Dobson, but maybe the camera man didn't pick him up?
  • Options
    meanwhile, in Székesfehérvár...

I wonder how Fehérvár Life has taken the news that they've signed a pre-contract with an English player who can't even hold down his place in a 3rd division team battling relegation....

and for balance, I'll admit I was crapping myself just seeing CBT's name on the Derby team-sheet. One fairly harmless cross was all he had to show for his supposedly match-changing cameo. His team-mates didn't seem much interested in giving him the ball either.

Funny old game...

• Options
    edited February 28
    Leuth said:
    Reluctantly, @msomerton, just wanted to check your score for Coventry in the payer marks thread wasn't a typo of some sort, as it's notably and significantly lower than everyone else's.. just curious.. i only followed the game via the match thread on here..

Jscore: 6
    ISTED: 7
    R.E.G.: 5
    THOMAS: 7
    GILLESPHEY: 7
    T.WATSON: 6
    COVENTRY: 5
    CAMARÁ: 4
    ANDERSON: 7
    SMALL: 7.5
    LADAPO: 4
    KANU: 7
    ANEKE: 7
    MAY: 6 
    These are the marks of someone who watched the first half then heard later that Chuks came on and we won 
    Also I thought REG had his best game for us but that’s the problem with players marks some posters have a downer on certain players and always mark them low whereas others, no names (if the cap fits), have their favourites and always mark them high 😉.
  • Options
    The Ipswich boys were the only poor performers yesterday?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    The Ipswich boys were the only poor performers yesterday?
    Looked like it was a game too early for Camara to be starting, Ladapo seemed fairly quiet. Think if either of them play on Saturday we'll see a better performance
  • Options
    meanwhile, in Székesfehérvár...

I wonder how Fehérvár Life has taken the news that they've signed a pre-contract with an English player who can't even hold down his place in a 3rd division team battling relegation....

and for balance, I'll admit I was crapping myself just seeing CBT's name on the Derby team-sheet. One fairly harmless cross was all he had to show for his supposedly match-changing cameo. His team-mates didn't seem much interested in giving him the ball either.

Funny old game...

Think that was only his 3rd time in the squad and he’d only played one half before last night … not exactly getting their fans infused yet. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The goalkeeper challenge for the pen looked like a red card to me. Seen those given anywhere else on the pitch. 
    I don't think it was a red. The keeper made a massive mistake going for it. Kanu knew he had to beat him to the ball and get a touch, any touch, which he did. It was a 100% penalty, superbly bought by Kanu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I said on match thread - when our 2nd went in (and what a strike) - I went mental - ran up and down my hallway like a maniac - my 2 dogs retreated upstairs in fright - that is how a proper CAFC team plays - fight, application, shape, desire etc etc

BUT most of all WE play football (well we try - it is Div 3) - Derby, hmmmm
    You're posting again, have you finished in the bedroom already ? :D
    Flash by name, over in a flash by nature.
  • Options
    It won’t get any better than today for Charlton.

Points deduction for Reading

1-0 down 1-2 up and win at Derby …

All other results go our way with Stockley grabbing to late goals to earn a draw at Port Vale.

Most of us couldn’t see that happening.
    Great birthday present. I'm 57 tomorrow. 
    This is a quote from 2003 right?
    My god, no! Back then he was saying we’d get relegated.
  • Options
    As I said on match thread - when our 2nd went in (and what a strike) - I went mental - ran up and down my hallway like a maniac - my 2 dogs retreated upstairs in fright - that is how a proper CAFC team plays - fight, application, shape, desire etc etc

BUT most of all WE play football (well we try - it is Div 3) - Derby, hmmmm
    You're posting again, have you finished in the bedroom already ? :D
    Flash by name, Flash by nature.
  • Options
    Who on earth are those scummy kids giving abuse to Alfie May celebrating his goal? It’s not as if he was taking the piss.

The parents should be ashamed.
  • Options
    How the hell are they 2nd in the league!