Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Derby v Charlton Athletic | Tues 27th Feb 2024

Comments

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Reluctantly, @msomerton, just wanted to check your score for Coventry in the payer marks thread wasn't a typo of some sort, as it's notably and significantly lower than everyone else's.. just curious.. i only followed the game via the match thread on here..

Jscore: 6
    ISTED: 7
    R.E.G.: 5
    THOMAS: 7
    GILLESPHEY: 7
    T.WATSON: 6
    COVENTRY: 5
    CAMARÁ: 4
    ANDERSON: 7
    SMALL: 7.5
    LADAPO: 4
    KANU: 7
    ANEKE: 7
    MAY: 6 
    That is correct. Over all it was a shocking guy poor game of football from both teams and in the first half we were the worse team by a mile.
    Second half we stepped up our endeavour and got the win of which I am very glad. 
    But the skill levels were low on the whole.

Agree the 1st half was poor BUT:
    You don't think the pass from Coventry for Kanu to run on to when he was brought down was skillful ?
    You don't think that Coventry closing down and getting his foot in is anything to do will skill ?
    You don't think that giving your all against the team 2nd in the table which Conor Coventry did is worthy of more than 5.
    No skill involved in Aneke receiving the ball and giving a good weighted pass to Kanu who hit a good shot which was saved and Anderson showed amazing skill to keep that shot under the bar ?
    Lots of skill shown on a terrible pitch in the 2nd half but just head tennis in the 1st.

Reg had a good game as well but I appreciate you mark as you see and you saw a different game to me as you thought the two lads were 5's.

As I have said on many occasions a win will always mean players gain higher marks as fans are in a better mood as opposed to the normal this season; plus winning at Derby for the first time in 25 years.

We all voted the two Ipswich lads as our bottom two.

I honestly thought you fell asleep at HT so apologies for that assumption.
    No I watched all the way through. And there were the odd decent moment , but far more poor passes tackles and scuffed clearances. Even Isted made an half hearted double fisted punch out , thar came back two passes later luckily they were worse in the 2nd half. If AMB had made that punch he would be lambasted  in the player marks for it. 

• Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    Reluctantly, @msomerton, just wanted to check your score for Coventry in the payer marks thread wasn't a typo of some sort, as it's notably and significantly lower than everyone else's.. just curious.. i only followed the game via the match thread on here..

That is correct. Over all it was a shocking guy poor game of football from both teams and in the first half we were the worse team by a mile.
    Second half we stepped up our endeavour and got the win of which I am very glad. 

You don't think the pass from Coventry for Kanu to run on to when he was brought down was skillful ?
    You don't think that Coventry closing down and getting his foot in is anything to do will skill ?
    You don't think that giving your all against the team 2nd in the table which Conor Coventry did is worthy of more than 5.
    No skill involved in Aneke receiving the ball and giving a good weighted pass to Kanu who hit a good shot which was saved and Anderson showed amazing skill to keep that shot under the bar ?
    Lots of skill shown on a terrible pitch in the 2nd half but just head tennis in the 1st.

Reg had a good game as well but I appreciate you mark as you see and you saw a different game to me as you thought the two lads were 5's.

As I have said on many occasions a win will always mean players gain higher marks as fans are in a better mood as opposed to the normal this season; plus winning at Derby for the first time in 25 years.

No I watched all the way through. And there were the odd decent moment , but far more poor passes tackles and scuffed clearances. Even Isted made an half hearted double fisted punch out , thar came back two passes later luckily they were worse in the 2nd half. If AMB had made that punch he would be lambasted  in the player marks for it. 

I have no idea why anyone attaches any significance to the player's marks thingy. Is it important or something?
  • Options
    Major said:
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

I have no idea why anyone attaches any significance to the player's marks thingy. Is it important or something?
    It is to fans to express their assessment of the players and the managers abilities.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    Major said:
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

Only to Geeks like me who would give players marks in a Sunday league as an 8 year old in my local park !

TBF assessing players came in handy when I managed and coached young teenage teams.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Davynix said:

Drop Dobson and look what happens! All you Andy Scott doubters take note….

The last two games have perfectly demonstrated why that solid defensive base is always the foundation for success. It was ugly, it was hard to watch, but, even though we conceded, we were still in touching distance. Crucially, that meant when their keeper had a rush of blood to the head and we got that bit of luck for Kanu’s shot to bounce back to Anderson (who still had plenty to do, btw), we were scoring goals to win three points, not rescue one.

Fair play to Nathan Jones for turning our defending around so dramatically. I really hope it lasts.  Also, great managerial vision from him to pick Kanu, Anderson, and Small (who, let’s not forget, couldn’t get a game in bloody Scotland) as the players to turn us around. The three of them, all under 20 (!), have made a huge difference.

The warm inner glow of a well deserved and hard-fought win on the road. It’s a been a long time, but welcome home my old friend – please stick around for while.

THIS, exactly, great post

Apart from the claim about Andy Scott and Dobson. Rewriting of history. A contributory factor of any poor form from Dobson, was likely unsettling by Andy Scott's Mismanagement in the first place.
    Turn around is due to Nathan Jones. Watch the post video scenes. Incredible. Really happy with win, and the greater control Nathan Jones and Paul Hart has around football and playing affairs the better.
     Just corrected that, hope you don't mind  :#
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:

Skill levels are not the only criteria used when marking a player.What about attitude,effort and general willingness to run your balls off for the shirt when the oppo are having most of the ball.
  • Options
    The way he grabs Connor Coventry in that full-time clip. Fuck me I’d run through walls for that man. We’ve got a diamond here 
    You can see Coventry is shocked initially & prob thinking "fucking hell, this guy is a nutter!" 
    TBF, he’s not the only one thinking that…fcking great isn’t it 😄
  • Options
    Absolutely loved Anderson’s goal. Great to see someone shoot from range. All too often we try one pass too many when we get near goal and lose possession. As the late, great Bobby Charlton said: If you don’t shoot, you don’t score. 
    And top marks for the passion shown by NJ. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

Only to Geeks like me who would give players marks in a Sunday league as an 8 year old in my local park !

TBF assessing players came in handy when I managed and coached young teenage teams.
    You get a few that seem harsh on a player but enough people do them to ensure the marks are pretty representative IMO. I think it would be a good idea if we could put some money into a pot to get a trophy which could be presented to the winning player by AFKA or LL.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Lest we forget:

L Gillingham FA Cup
    L Reading EFL Trophy
    D Cambridge   2-2 H
    D Barnsley       1-1 A
    D Burton           1-1 H
    L Orient            1-0
    L Bristol R         2-1
    L Oxford           1-2
    D Port Vale       3-3 A
    L Posh              1-2
    L Burton            2-0
    L Northampton  2-3
    D Blackpool      1-1 A
    L Derby.            0-1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    L Reading        2-0
    D Lincoln         1-1 H
    D Bolton          3-3 A
    D Pompey       0-0 H
    W Derby          1-2
    A small printed version of this warning should go in Michael Appletons battery compartment for the next poor club that picks him off the shelf.
    It mustn’t be forgotten that he did have a good run of results too. Maybe we should print that off for one of our rivals.

Also, although I appreciate and value the mega positivity on here atm, we should remember that it’s what happens in the long term (as seen with Appleton) that counts. If NJ can get us to 59 points this season, only then will I believe that we could really get top two next season. Anything less and I’ll take it with a pinch of salt because the false dawn of 2019 footballwise, followed by Covid lifewise,  has really killed my previous willingness to believe and trust in anyone until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    What a difference a month makes eh? 5 points from 3 games most of us wouldn't have been overly surprised if we had taken nixies. In fairness it wasn't like we were playing 2009 Barcelona, we were playing 3 sides we were unlucky not to beat but the effect Nathan Jones has had is legitimate 

I loved the aggression and the intent Anderson showed all game, it was how he looked pre-season and he carries on like that we will have a beast of a midfielder on our hands. Daniel Kanu, I have to say his performance made me feel a bit emotional, he ran his guts out and did so willingly. Bradley and Casion were cooked trying to wrestle him and deal with him. 

Small looks a real find, early days but he is the first choice left back who looks like he cam defend at least as well as he travels up the pitch. 

I'm going to pick a fault for their goal, we have to be more switched on at set pieces, runners have to be stayed with and blocked, I think it was Small who left Bradleys run to the near post, I'm being a bit harsh as it was a great delivery and finish 

We carry on with that level of intent, aggression and intensity we will be absolutely fine and will be exciting to watch too. I think I speak for most of us when I say I can handle us losing but I cannot accept us not competing and there has been far too much of that for the last 4 years. Jones seems to have delivered the right message to the group and I'm here for it 
    I haven’t seen it back, but my initial thought was the two at the near post allowed one of their player to hold onto them and prevent them challenging for the ball. Unmolested I think it would have been a simple headed clearance.
    I say “allowed” because they needed to be stronger.
  • Options
    Got to say, I was really impressed with Cashin for Derby. Even taking away his goal (which I thought was a great and brave header), he seemed to be constantly breaking up our attempts of getting forward (especially in the 1st half). I  think NJ recognised this, as after the break we seemed to draw him out of position and find the space behind him, rather than trying to play through him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking vlog mate, nice to have some emotion, as you represent the majority of us👍
  • Options
    Yeah great vlog, thought you captured the match emotion very accurately
  • Options
    first time I have watched one of your vlogs, what can I say........

fucking good! and thanks 
  • Options
    Cracking vlog mate, nice to have some emotion, as you represent the majority of us👍
    Cheers 😂 I think it's just because of the occasion, I don't think I've acted like that over a routine win, starved for 3 months will do that I suppose 

thecat said:
    Yeah great vlog, thought you captured the match emotion very accurately
    Glad to hear :) I really liked the people behind me getting involved, makes the vlogs a lot more fun for me. 

first time I have watched one of your vlogs, what can I say........

fucking good! and thanks 
    Really appreciate that Lancs, certainly filled the swear jar to the brim that's for sure. Was even cringing a bit when I was doing the editing but hey ho 😂

Don't believe I'll be getting a gig at Sky Sports anytime soon put it that way 
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. It was nerve wracking enough following the match thread on here!! Forgot what a win feels like!!
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. It was nerve wracking enough following the match thread on here!! Forgot what a win feels like!!
    Cheers mate, truly loved making this one. 
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Will save that for tomorrow. Big night out has consequences 😬. 
  • Options

• Options
    That post match video of the boys and NJ got me right in the feels!! Not ashamed to say I had dust in my eyes watching that.

What a transformation at our club. WOW.