Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Connor Wickham joins on a short term deal

Comments

• Options
    A decent player at this level. Always seems to play well against us. I make this a good signing 
  • Options
    Love Jones' comment... "We like the Human being"

Well good to know we haven't signed an alien 

I find this distrust of Aliens very worrying and typical of the 'Little world' approach.
    Just because aliens footballers only piss oil and their waste comes out wrapped up and don't have a heart it doesn't mean they don't want to give 100%; as long they have been programmed to kiss the badge and do a tunnel Jump after scoring a brace and can say 'we move on' after a defeat, then no problem.
    Might explain Kirk that one.  
  • Options
    Hopefully he’s fit enough to have an impact. If he is then it’s a sensible enough short term addition. We certainly need another more physical strikers. Ladapo isn’t cutting it in that department (or many others right now) and although Kanu is making a decent fist of it it’s not exactly his natural game and we’re relying a lot on a 19 year old with now real cover. 
  • Options
    Hope no-one expects him to do too much pressing.
    I’d heard he was quite handy with an iron.
  • Options
    Now that is a classic Charlton Life signing. The only way it could be more CL is if it was a pay as you play contract. A deal til the end of April is really weird, you'd think if we properly wanted him we'd give him to the end of the season but it implies he's there just to cover the rest of whatever Chuks' new injury is. I guess we'll see how he goes, he's not exactly the anti-Chuks with his injury record though. If he doesn't immediately pull up and stay injured for the rest of his tiny contract it'll be something
    9 games to go. Season finishes away at Wycombe on Saturday 27th April
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bit of tightness in Chuks
    Indeed, I hear he never buys a round on team socials 
  • Options
    If nothing else, I’ve learnt when the season definitely finishes from this thread.

Looks like a good idea for two months. Ladapo hasn’t scored the numbers we hoped, Chuks is out, and good to be able to rest Kanu when needed. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Wearing 13 is going to trigger a few (it’s me I’m few).
    Fuming
  • Options
    Now that is a classic Charlton Life signing. The only way it could be more CL is if it was a pay as you play contract. A deal til the end of April is really weird, you'd think if we properly wanted him we'd give him to the end of the season but it implies he's there just to cover the rest of whatever Chuks' new injury is. I guess we'll see how he goes, he's not exactly the anti-Chuks with his injury record though. If he doesn't immediately pull up and stay injured for the rest of his tiny contract it'll be something
    Season finishes 27 April.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The deal being April and not the end of the season screams we want to stop paying you once we're safe, and will probably get someone else next season.
    April is the end of the season
  • Options
    What's with all these Aneke wasn't injured 2 wks ago, conspiracy theory posts? Chuks has been injured the majority of time at the club in both spells and just can't be relied on FFS! No idea if CW will be any good, but he's an experienced lad on a short term deal. May take the burden off Kanu a little too as he's been run into the ground recently as the main physical front man
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Any rumours on Chuks, Gribbo?
  • Options
    edited March 8
    mendonca said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ5WBk78sZQ

Decent bowl-cut that. Has grown up. Come on Connor, push us into the play-offs!
    Whoever the interviewer was, he was a breath of fresh air!.
    The other chap rambles on and on, gives his opinion, states the obvious and then asks whoever it is to agree with him.
    Wearing out my mute button.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Always hated it when he was along against us, ball sticks to him. Has a lot of technical ability and to be honest is playing below himself. Good signing 
    Yeah, I don’t notice opposition players much but I do recall him being a handful against us a couple of time. He the white Chuks Aneke - big, strong, ball sticks, always unfit!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bit of tightness in Chuks
    Indeed, I hear he never buys a round on team socials 
    That’s because he goes home after half an hour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Addicks boss said: "The experience, physicality and quality he has makes him a really good signing. We’re pleased to have him in and it’ll be interesting to see how much we can get out of him."

Sounds like a punt on the basis of the above NJ quote, but it's a small commitment on our part.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The Addicks boss said: "The experience, physicality and quality he has makes him a really good signing. We’re pleased to have him in and it’ll be interesting to see how much we can get out of him."

Sounds like a punt on the basis of the above NJ quote, but it's a small commitment on our part.
    I would suggest it is more to get the squad understanding the way he wants to play next season and personally don’t read anything into it.
  • Options
    As most people agree, there is little downside but, unless I'm missing something, 67 League starts in the last 11 years tells its own story. 
  • Options
    edited March 8
    If anyone can get the best out of Connor Wickham, it's Nathan Jones...don't rule out a years contract at the end of the season...
  • Options
    How is he only 30? Feels like he’s been around forever 

Probably because he made his debut for Ipswich when he was 11 days past his 16th birthday day.
    120 games in Premier league
    113 games in Championship
    64 games in League 1

65 goals in 297 apps
  • Options
    The deal being April and not the end of the season screams we want to stop paying you once we're safe, and will probably get someone else next season.
    This screams you haven't looked at the fixture list.
  • Options
    Stat of the day

'Striker' Connor Wickham turned Pro in 2009.
    He has never reached a double figure goal tally for any of the seasons he's played.
    Good job he's only got a few weeks then.

5 in that time wont be too bad.
  • Options
    How is he only 30? Feels like he’s been around forever 

Probably because he made his debut for Ipswich when he was 11 days past his 16th birthday day.
    120 games in Premier league
    113 games in Championship
    64 games in League 1

65 goals in 297 apps
    And he's actually much nearer 31 given his birthday is on the last day of March
  • Options
    I thought it was amusing when the interviewer mentioned Connor's experience and the young talented players in the squad.  Connor gave a detailed answer, he made it clear that he was not here to cheer lead, he is here to get a place in the team.

Interviewer:  'And how do you see your role helping some of the younger players coming through as well?' 
  • Options
    Echo most poster on here. Aneke/Leaburn probably not fit enough for the rest of the season & Ladapo hasn't been pulling up trees. Just need a physical presence up top to relieve the pressure & to hold things up.

Nothing to lose & everything to gain.