Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Those fans who supported the appointment of Nathan will have to live with his methods of reshaping the squad. I am still sceptical mainly due to the comments of Bob Munro at the time. Remember he was a director at Stoke when NJ was manager.

• Selling May to Huddersfield looks like a bonkers decision unless they offer truckloads of cash which seems unlikely.

Not exactly a step up for May.
  • Are we back on the Alfie meltdown?
  • I would be surprised if we see Alfie in a charlton shirt again unfortunately.. Seems to be Huddersfield number 1 target.. 
  • I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there's no way the seemingly rational new ownership, and our new manager who openly talks about getting promoted will sell Alfie.

Also why genuinely would Alfie want to go to another league one side? Because he knows the manager? I doubt they'll be offering him shed loads more than we are paying, and it would mean uprooting his family again
  • I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there's no way the seemingly rational new ownership, and our new manager who openly talks about getting promoted will sell Alfie.

Also why genuinely would Alfie want to go to another league one side? Because he knows the manager? I doubt they'll be offering him shed loads more than we are paying, and it would mean uprooting his family again
    If he's not likely to get a game here he might.

It wouldn’t surprise me, heard rumours as soon as Jones came in that he wasn’t a fan of May and I think that was confirmed by the amount of times he was subbed and the signing of Wickham. Just have to trust the process at this point but I’d like to start seeing these signings come in.
  • Sponsored links:

But why would he want to stay at the club when they won't play to his strengths? He also had a great relationship with said manager

I am gutted that Alfie probably won't be here next year as he was the bright spark of a miserable season last year, but if we are going to get promoted then we need to back Jones to implement the team he wants. If that means using this money to help pay for the squad he wants then it makes sense.

If we still don't back that sale up with the players that Jones wants though then I agree it is rubbish.
  • I'll stand corrected if and when anything happens. Just seems to be ludicrous to even consider selling a 20+ goals a year striker regardless of how much you don't get on with him. I'm hoping this turns out to be more panic than substance 
  • Are we back on the Alfie meltdown?
    Yes I am sorry, but international melt downs just don"t do it for me!!!
  • Redhenry said:
    Bad news 🤣
    All he needs is a whippet and a flat cap.
  • I'll stand corrected if and when anything happens. Just seems to be ludicrous to even consider selling a 20+ goals a year striker regardless of how much you don't get on with him. I'm hoping this turns out to be more panic than substance 
    Too much smoke for there to be no fire whatsoever - think it's been discussed in a Cawley piece which is more or less conformation that at the very least the interest from Huddersfield is genuine.

May be a U turn from any of the 3 parties or it falls through or changes for other reasons but its definitely not "just" panic/speculation with no substance.
  • Bonkers!

Nothing to do with the owners they given NJ full power to decide who goes and who he wants to come in 
  • Selling May to Huddersfield looks like a bonkers decision unless they offer truckloads of cash which seems unlikely.

Not exactly a step up for May.
    It would be for his bank balance.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we got north of a million for a 30 year old who has never played higher than league one I fail to see how it’s not good business. Can only judge when his replacement is in the building.
    Or indeed replacement(s) with that sort of cash at this level.  Whilst we may not be able to find a 20 goal a season striker to replace Alfie, we might be able to bring in some players that can give us more overall team goals.  After all, our second top scorer was Blackett-Taylor who left in January and then it was Miles Leaburn who got injured in December and didn't play another game all season.  The rest of the team didn't pitch in with enough goals, as we know, but if we look at Barnsley and Oxford who took the last two play-off spots, both had two or three player on double figures and others chipping in with 6-9 goals each.

I'm not saying we should let him go, I think he is one of the best strikers in this division, but if there are reasons to sell, and we can get a good price, it may not be the end of the world.  It will be a bold move to sell him, however, because if we fail to improve and progress this season, the fans will deem it a failure and point to Alfie's sale as the key reason behind it.
  • If we got north of a million for a 30 year old who has never played higher than league one I fail to see how it’s not good business. Can only judge when his replacement is in the building.
    Has there been a reliable source quoting the million plus fee? I don't really doubt Alfie is worth it but I'm just surprised we managed to pick him up a year younger for a fraction of that last summer
  • Incoming transfer who we reckon then ?
  • Yann897 said:
    Incoming transfer who we reckon then ?
    Hopefully Berry
  • Berry I would assume. 
  • Got to be Berry or Edwards surely
  • Yann897 said:
    I reckon a signing or two tomorow, Berry and Mitchell maybe.
    and I got a lol for this 👀
  • follett said:
    If we got north of a million for a 30 year old who has never played higher than league one I fail to see how it’s not good business. Can only judge when his replacement is in the building.
    Has there been a reliable source quoting the million plus fee? I don't really doubt Alfie is worth it but I'm just surprised we managed to pick him up a year younger for a fraction of that last summer
    It’s more of a hypothetical than anything, nothing concrete and if/when it’s announced no doubt it will be undisclosed 
  • Out of date Berries!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!