Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options

• Options
    edited June 27
    Steven81 said:
    It’s a risk swapping May for Godden but I don’t hate it. 

Should still be capable of getting 15+ goals in this division and if the difference pays for Ahadme who’s capable of 15+ himself, we’ve replaced 23 goals with a theoretical 30+… and there’s no guarantee that May gets 20+ again next season either.
    No guarantee a striker who's got 14 goals in the last 2 seasons and is nearly 33 is going to do anything for us either,surely may and ahadme would be a better prospect or are we just using that may money and don't actually have the money we say we do to spend possibly.
    mart77 said:

Should still be capable of getting 15+ goals in this division and if the difference pays for Ahadme who’s capable of 15+ himself, we’ve replaced 23 goals with a theoretical 30+… and there’s no guarantee that May gets 20+ again next season either.
    Tbf Callum it could also be argued that May with Ahadme, better supply from midfield and the wing backs, could get 30+ goals on his own. It can be spun both ways.
    Don’t strongly disagree with either of you, just trying to offer a perspective that Jones might be viewing this from given that he doesn’t seem keen on Alfie. 

It’s definitely a big risk moving on from someone who you know has produced for the team in the last 12 months.

What I will say about Godden’s numbers being lower is that he’s been playing at a higher level than Alfie. 

1) There is no guarantee Alfie would manage to score 14 in the Championship & 2) the last time Godden played at this level he was scoring 1 in 2 (good enough for 23 in a 46 game season) before the season was cut short by the pandemic.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Godden instead of May ruins our EFL chances
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Godden instead of May ruins our EFL chances
    Not saying he’s Alfie Mays replacement it was just to compare the players, with very similar stats and Godden bigger I thought it was interesting. I’d like to see both with ahadme what with the injury worries of Aneke and Leaburn .
  • Options

On initial thought, I'd say May getting 20+ goals is far more likely than Godden getting 15+ goals. 
    How can you be so sure of that without seeing Godden play? He got 14 in 26 the last time he was at our level.
  • Options

On initial thought, I'd say May getting 20+ goals is far more likely than Godden getting 15+ goals. 
    How can you be so sure of that without seeing Godden play? He got 14 in 26 the last time he was at our level.
    It's an initial thought, as I said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 27
    Scoham said:

May is at his peak while Godden has declined the last few years.

May is also settled here, we know he’s a good fit for us.
    Agree, it’s a risk. Hopefully Jones and co. have seen enough in Godden to believe it’s the right decision and a risk worth taking.
  • Options
    Steven81 said:

No guarantee a striker who's got 14 goals in the last 2 seasons and is nearly 33 is going to do anything for us either,surely may and ahadme would be a better prospect or are we just using that may money and don't actually have the money we say we do to spend possibly.
    mart77 said:

Tbf Callum it could also be argued that May with Ahadme, better supply from midfield and the wing backs, could get 30+ goals on his own. It can be spun both ways.
    Don’t strongly disagree with either of you, just trying to offer a perspective that Jones might be viewing this from given that he doesn’t seem keen on Alfie. 

It’s definitely a big risk moving on from someone who you know has produced for the team in the last 12 months.

What I will say about Godden’s numbers being lower is that he’s been playing at a higher level than Alfie. 

1) There is no guarantee Alfie would manage to score 14 in the Championship & 2) the last time Godden played at this level he was scoring 1 in 2 (good enough for 23 in a 46 game season) before the season was cut short by the pandemic.
    Wasn’t digging you Callum 👍🏼 I just feel that the risk is very big for us and one which if we don’t get right could very quickly see another season of nothingness. 
    Like you say, if it’s true that Jones doesn’t fancy May (I believe it is), then I’d probably rather a punt on a younger, hungrier striker that we could develop, but then I guess we’ve got Kanu, Casey and Mbick coming through ourselves, so that’s why Godden might look a good option.

I hope I’m wrong, but if we sell May and don’t make a very quick start and then additionally finish the season in the top 2, I think shots will be fired at Jones and the recruitment team.
  • Options
    I know I am dreaming. But Nathan Jones demands so much of his players and the offensive ones are very often substituted. May was taken off almost every game under Jones and we didn't have anyone who could come on and do the job he was doing. You want 2 for every position so maybe they want them both? Sometimes Godden starting but most of the time, coming on for 20/30 mins to keep that intensity up
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Scoham said:

Agree, it’s a risk. Hopefully Jones and co. have seen enough in Godden to believe it’s the right decision and a risk worth taking.
    A risk where if all goes right, he'll score a purported 5 less goals than May ;)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

A risk where if all goes right, he'll score a purported 5 less goals than May ;)
    Lol take the point but there’s more to getting out of this league than just having a bloke who can score lots, as last season showed us.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I know I am dreaming. But Nathan Jones demands so much of his players and the offensive ones are very often substituted. May was taken off almost every game under Jones and we didn't have anyone who could come on and do the job he was doing. You want 2 for every position so maybe they want them both? Sometimes Godden starting but most of the time, coming on for 20/30 mins to keep that intensity up
    Nice thought but I’d think May, Godden, Leaburn, Kanu, Chuks and potentially Ahadme is one too many strikers.
  • Options
    Don't really know enough about Godden's style to know if he'd be a useful replacement for May or not - though we don't know that we're getting him or that he's replacing May, maybe we're sending Kanu out on loan and want a short-term replacement for him - but if he is a replacement for May it makes me think about Leaburn a bit more. Once he's fit, he's a 20 year old who already has 15 L1 goals and would have had a lot more than that by now had he not just missed pretty much the whole season. If we do get Ahadme as well then it would make sense to have Godden alongside those two to rotate Miles in as much as possible. We're not just going to sit a player with that much potential on the bench and maybe May doesn't fancy rotating out with Leaburn and/or Ahadme like Godden would. Who knows, I guess we'll see
  • Options
    I just hope if we do sign Godden then the fans don’t get on his back or hold it against him for potentially replacing May as I know it would be a big move that he’s wanted before as he has a soft spot for Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Godden would be a very good option to have if he was mainly coming off the bench. But if we were to head into a 46 game season with a guy who is 33 and seems to be on the decline, as one of our main starting strikers then that doesn't seem a smart move.
    Which he will be. I’m confident Jones won’t start a May type striker next season, hence why we’re cashing in on May. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    If you’re getting 1M+ for May, whilst replacing him with the Ipswich guy and Godden, I think that’s a good deal to me. 
    This is the thing, Alfie to Godden isn't the comparison to make. 

It's either Alfie to Godden & Ahadme, or Alfie to Godden + est north of £700k to (hopefully reinvest). Of course the deal only makes sense if the money is going back into the squad, but given the owners intentions this window so far I'd suggest they likely are - Nathan wouldn't have got behind a penniless project.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Godden would be a very good option to have if he was mainly coming off the bench. But if we were to head into a 46 game season with a guy who is 33 and seems to be on the decline, as one of our main starting strikers then that doesn't seem a smart move.
    Which he will be. I’m confident Jones won’t start a May type striker next season, hence why we’re cashing in on May. 
    We've not sold him yet.
  • Options
    ‘Centre forwards determine where you finish’ 

Interesting comment from Mr Rodwell!
  • Options
    I think the way he answered the question on the speculation around May, suggests to me that he's going.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think Kanu will be the alternative to May/Godden, he only regularly started alongside May because we didn’t have a fit target man.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Move to make it easier to sack Scott if the first half of the season doesn’t go well
    This just sounds so amateurish. Keep the man who oversaw the worst finish for 98 years, give him the new £7m player budget but plan to sack him once it goes wrong. How many chances does he need, the rest of the SMT obviously have no faith. Charlie is not filling me with much confidence right now.
  • Options
    Rodwell has just mentioned a player coming in from Jamaica if they can get it sorted , assume this will be a youngster from Mount Pleasant.