Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• edited May 3
    MarcusH26 said:
    fenaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Forgot Aaron Henry existed. 
    Still can't believe he got the deal he did last year. 

Seems to have all the technical ability but none of the other side of the game. Couldn't get in a struggling (at that time) Crawley side. Would be very surprised if he stayed. 
    From the few reviews I saw from Wealdstone fans, even they weren't overly impressed when he returned there.

Never know Jones may be the one to be able to get something from him, but be surprised.
  • to be fair cant argue with that list, had a soft spot for Chin but he hasn't exactly set the world alight on any of his loans. Glad Hector has gone, thought Thomas could do a job but you need more than that to get promoted.
  • fenaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    A quick google shows he's been National League standard this season. 

Anderson has been better than Henry has ever been for Charlton, Coventry is more similar of a player and he's looked better, even in his off games. 

Henry had a wicked shot on him in the right situations, but was otherwise average at reading the game, picking passes, closing players and tackling. I don't want to bash him too hard but think L2 is going to be his ceiling, which is no mean feat but still not good enough for Charlton. 

Not sure why we renewed him either given all of that.  
  • I think Dobso  staying was a long shot, personally I'm very happy with that, I'd have only kept Dobo, Small and Campbell. All the others I'm glad to see go. I total rebuild is needed and we need to be shopping in very different places this time round then where we have for the past 5 seasons, I think history clearly shows that.
  • Would've liked to have kept Wickham but totally get why it probably isn't sensible. 
    It was a case of ‘in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king’ with Connor Wickham. In his cameo appearances he stood out because he can and does do the right things, however he’s not a promotion season viable option because he’s not going to be playing match after match. If there’s enough in the budget after the other places are filled i think he’s still got something to offer the squad though.
  • edited May 3
    Leuth said:
    Get the feeling Jones might try and 'release' quite a few of those still under contract as well (by selling them any way we can). If he can offload :cry: Hector :cry: so CALLOUSLY then there's a swathe of them who played significantly worse that he won't want around either
    You recovered from losing NabySarr 
    You will recover from losing Hector. 

I look forward to seeing your next player to champion. 
    Keep the faith Leuth. 😉
    I thought it might be Gillesphey but actually I'm starting to think he's not great either. It has to be a centre-back too. I'm running low on options. REG? He doesn't have the expansive passing range of the others, but he does have the enterprising forward burst in his arsenal
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Get the feeling Jones might try and 'release' quite a few of those still under contract as well (by selling them any way we can). If he can offload :cry: Hector :cry: so CALLOUSLY then there's a swathe of them who played significantly worse that he won't want around either
    You recovered from losing NabySarr 
    You will recover from losing Hector. 

I look forward to seeing your next player to champion. 
    Keep the faith Leuth. 😉
    I thought it might be Gillesphey but actually I'm starting to think he's not great either. It has to be a centre-back too. I'm running low on options. REG? 
    I'm sure we'll get a new CB you can get behind. 
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    :):):):):)
    Shut up
    "It's personnel."
  • Sponsored links:

• I mean, honestly? It's probably a good sign that Hector has been released, even if I wouldn't have done it personally. It shows that there really is about to be a huge shift in playing staff, and that the ambitions are higher than having Jamaica's captain. I await our signings with excitement
  • More telling is who we sign and how soon. 

No surprises so far. 
  • Obviously sorry to see Dobo go but hopefully it will mean that Coventry can be deployed in a more forward position which I think suits him better. 
  • Think the final paragraph of the article closes the door on Dobson:

In particular, the club would like to thank George Dobson, who has played 144 games for Charlton since joining in 2021. He's given his all for the club in every training session and every game and everyone at the club wishes him all the best in Hungary.
    Yup. That last para is actually the key one.
  • No real surprises,regards Fraser,there was a very good footballer there 2 years ago,perhaps Jones can get that level back,but we do need someone who can carry the ball and get a few goals.
  • fenaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Saw him play for Wealdstone a couple of months back. He's fine if he's given space. Not so fine if he's closed down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Aaron Henry might turn out to be this generations Wiredu, or even Hackett.
    As in OK, but not ours any more.
  • edited May 3
    Delighted. Higher standards needed for our CBs. Teams don't get promoted by constantly giving away cheap goals away and Hector, Thomas, Innis, etc... were bona fide experts in switching off in key moments. Standards need to be much higher. 

I think Jones is the one to drive those standards and to find the players who live up to them

I hope next season we start with a much more consistent backline
  • sam3110 said:
    Current Squad

Goalkeepers:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 
    Harry Isted     Neither of these looks like a firm Number 1, maybe the cheaper one is kept as reserve and offers invited for the other Need Better

Right Backs:   Looks like we've got adequate cover here for the first time in about 3 seasons
    Kayne Ramsay   
    Nathan Asiimwe
    Tennai Watson

Centre Backs:  Based on what they did this last season we could be in for another defensively catastrophic season - they've all been several sorts of dreadful on many occasions. REG is the least bad, Ness and Mitchell have scope for development.  Very rigorous pre-season of basic coaching needed to get this lot anywhere near standard - Radical surgery probably needed but financially very difficult
    Lloyd Jones
    Lucas Ness
    Macaulay Gillesphey 
    Rarmani Edmonds-Green 
    Zack Mitchell

Left Backs:  Need at least one more
    Tayo Edun - nope
    Thierry Small - definitely yes

Central Midfielders:  McUseless and Pvt Fraser need to be found clubs far far away from SE7 & SE9 to be replaced with a new Dobbo and a creative sparkler
    Aaron Henry  Nope
    Conor Coventry  maybe
    Conor McGrandles  Oh God No!!
    Karoy Anderson  Definitely
    Scott Fraser nope
    Terry Thomas  dunno yet haven't seen enough

Wingers:
    Tyreece Campbell  yep

Strikers:
    Alfie May  the best - the problem here may be resisting offers from higher up
    Chuks Aneke broken
    Daniel Kanu  still learning but continuing to improve
    Miles Leaburn  lethal when fit.  At 20 he'll just be getting stronger all the time - there's been a lot of guff dribbled about his "injury problems"  He got Done by a Welling thug in preseason which fnucked his season right up and then did a hamstring - tall young players may be susceptible to muscle and tendon pulls but with the time he's had, not being rushed back and a steady full pre-season he should be fine come August.  He's taller than Chuks, he's faster than Chuks, he's damn near as strong as Chuks he'll be giving 3rd division defenders nightmares, bruises and bruises on their nightmares.  The next problem with ML will be keeping him in the January deluge of Championship offers but NJ and the owners can cross that bridge when we get there (at the top of League 1) 

23 players, so only 3 less than Jones' magic 26 as it stands, and he definitely wants 3 keepers. 

Of the above, i expect 6 or 7 of them to be moved out minimum, either on loan or being sold, especially in central midfield and centre backs, and I expect 10 or 11 signings to then cover that and fill any gaps.   Can't argue with the numbers needed my concern is the cost of that much recruitment, a few duffers may have to be carried for a while.

• Fairly happy with the list apart from Dobson but was always a small hope something would be sorted.

I agree still think many more will be shipped out one way or another with Jones making it clear they have no future here.

I think the budget goes into around 9-10 starters and the others make up the squad to push for starts.

Jones must have control we can’t keep making the same recruitment mistakes that is leaving us with so many players the current manager did not pick or fit into there plans on contracts. This is now got to be a Jones project for the long term.

• edited May 3
    Excellent decisions (all of them)