Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• Terrell Thomas getting released suggests one thing to me. That is we have centre halves under contract which we might see as squad players so the intention is to bring a few centre halves in that are better than Gillesphey and Jones. I think had either of these two been out of contract we may have kept Thomas for his verstatility. 
    I hope that’s the case . We assumed last season we’d get better than Albie Morgan .  If we replace those two with better , we’ll all be delighted . 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have been made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Glad Tyreece is staying, would have been such a waste to just let him walk away
    Might be wrong but feels like misplaced credit. Hard to argue that our defense kept us up. It was the defense that kept us from competing in this league and kept us drawing so many games. 
    I haven't said anywhere it was the defence that kept us up though. I did say he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, which is true. He played every game despite there being a fair few other options available in that area. He played every minute under Jones apart from when he got hurt against Barnsley and came off with 2 minutes to go. Across that time Jones used Ness, REG, Gillesphey, Hector and Lloyd Jones but Thomas is the only one who was always chosen and we improved defensively (19 goals conceded in 16, 30 goals conceded in Appleton's last 16 games) in that period, otherwise we wouldn't have stayed up. Jones didn't come in on a brief to just see out the season, he had to turn our results around to keep us in the league and he most consistently chose Thomas to help do that. Thomas didn't do it single-handedly but it's a fact that he was called upon more than anyone else to get that job done.
    I feel it's not too much of a leap? You're saying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, I'm just saying that the defense doesn't deserve much, if any, credit for that. 
    Well he was a central part because he played every game. That's just factual. He could have played other defenders but he didn't. And I think you're off base with the defence because defence was the thing that needed to improve and it did. We scored 21 goals in Jones' 16 games and 21 in Appleton's last 16. Our problem was never scoring goals, it was the amount we conceded, especially late on. Across that cross-section of matches we scored the same number of goals under Appleton but conceded 21 more and kept no clean sheets. It's difficult to want to give the defence credit (which I never have at any point, that's come from you, I've just said I feel bad for Thomas because he did his job when called upon by Jones and has now lost it) because they went from terrible to sometimes not awful, but it was only by the defence cutting down on the constant errors that led to goals and not switching off after 85 minutes that we stayed up. There's more to it than that, players like Kanu and Anderson defended from the front and Small provided more wide threat but from an attacking perspective we didn't transform to save ourselves, we became harder to beat as a team. If you think the defence weren't involved in that at all then cool I guess
    No, not at all, I'm saying they don't deserve credit for a problem they played a big part in creating and perpetuating. If you think our defence deserves credit for avoiding relegation in league one, and for only bettering Carlisle's clean sheet record (who finished 16 points off safety), what can I say? No point in us having a row about it, I just think our standards for players and this football club couldn't be further apart. 
    Which is again not what I said, but I think this time you've been having an argument with yourself really. I can do nothing further for you.
    You seem to be insisting that Tyrell doesn't deserve credit, while at the same time listing a myriad of reasons why he does deserve credit...?  I'm not sure why there is anger when I point that fact out? If you have a clearer point to make without meandering then I really invite it. But otherwise I'll say it again, I think it's genuinely a waste of time to get in a row, especially when we demonstrably have different standards when it comes to defenders. (To which I politely recall two years worth of Innis discussions. And also invite you to revisit your comments on this same thread from last year.)
    Angry? I'm incredibly confused. You've honestly been having an argument with yourself using me as a placeholder for some reason and now you're pulling receipts on discussion that were apparently had two years ago? I don't even know who you are! As I say, I can do nothing further for you, there's no row. Move on.
  • Hope we’ve resigned the Campbell that closed down for the penalty and come on in the 2nd half v Reading, and not the one we saw for the whole rest of the year. Looked for much of the year as a young player with no confidence and little enthusiasm. 
    Possible Possible that his lack of game time isn't due to Jones not rating him but rather recognising that in the doldrums of last season someone still very young and green might be better off taking a step back temporarily and coming back in a "new" team after a proper preseason where Jones can play with other tactics and formations.

With all respect to the lad he doesn't really seem to be one you'd keep "just for numbers", if he's been retained it suggests that he's in the plans to me.
  • seth plum said:
    Watching Tyreece Campbell coming through in the U21’s he was most frequently deployed counter intuitively on the wide left.
    I lost count of the times he seemed trapped on the by-line/goal-line yet he wriggled past with skill and sleight of foot and would cross for a goal.
    I hardly ever saw him tracking back or defending.
    His very first games in the senior team were on the wide left, indeed that game against QPR, and that breakaway long range goal were from a similar position.
    I don’t see him in the central just behind a striker role (unless he learns it) nor do I see him helping out defensively…when he can mess up caught out in deep positions.
    I think his weakness this season has been a combination of three managers varying his deployment and not exploiting whatever strengths he has, and going off his normal game because (rightly) some tracking back to help out is always a first team requirement. He looks to me a players easily dragged down when it all doesn’t go right.
    In my personal opinion Tyreece is a young footballer who is a test and a challenge to a manager/coach. He has inbuilt skill and quite decent pace and athleticism (though not bulk and strength), it is up to him to be taught and to learn more, a expert level of support will help him to emerge as a better player.
    I would play him wide left in front of Small.
    I could see Tyreece playing as a 10 in a diamond or 352. With a free role to drift out wide and cause overloads on both wings.

He at times gives the ball away, but that from trying to play probing/high risk passes. There is a real player there and I’m delighted he’s signed a new deal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope and believe that as Jones brings in his own players there will be a positive effect on those players that are wanted on the retained list. I still have faith that AMB can be a good keeper and would keep him over Isted as a number 2. AMB is still young hass played behind a poor defence for two seasons.

Tyreece had a poor second season, its not7nheard of in a young player and could be a revelation.

What we need more than anything is a leader or two on the pitch a young Jason Pearce who is a bad ass shit houser!
  • Hope we’ve resigned the Campbell that closed down for the penalty and come on in the 2nd half v Reading, and not the one we saw for the whole rest of the year. Looked for much of the year as a young player with no confidence and little enthusiasm. 
    I suppose he is too young to be sure. The same with Ness.  Both have the potential.
  • Campbell with confidence to burn off the defence and try a pull back or cross into a leaburn/aneke/may is an asset. Capbell with no confidence wandering around the park like someone has not instructed a toddler what to do is a waste of a player on the pitch. 

He's currently both. If he gets injured he will lose his 10-20 yard pace which, while he learns how to compose a pass is his major asset. Worth a punt but thats what it is. Not yet a reliable game changer. 
  • RedRyan said:
    Offered him an insulting contract that reflected his “squad player” status, offered him an “improved” contract that was still off what GD wanted, finally offered him what he’d asked for in the first place but by then it was too late and the damage had been done. Would have willingly sent him away in Jan/Feb during the middle of our relegation crisis.
    Yeah but apart from that…….😉
  • seth plum said:
    Watching Tyreece Campbell coming through in the U21’s he was most frequently deployed counter intuitively on the wide left.
    I lost count of the times he seemed trapped on the by-line/goal-line yet he wriggled past with skill and sleight of foot and would cross for a goal.
    I hardly ever saw him tracking back or defending.
    His very first games in the senior team were on the wide left, indeed that game against QPR, and that breakaway long range goal were from a similar position.
    I don’t see him in the central just behind a striker role (unless he learns it) nor do I see him helping out defensively…when he can mess up caught out in deep positions.
    I think his weakness this season has been a combination of three managers varying his deployment and not exploiting whatever strengths he has, and going off his normal game because (rightly) some tracking back to help out is always a first team requirement. He looks to me a players easily dragged down when it all doesn’t go right.
    In my personal opinion Tyreece is a young footballer who is a test and a challenge to a manager/coach. He has inbuilt skill and quite decent pace and athleticism (though not bulk and strength), it is up to him to be taught and to learn more, a expert level of support will help him to emerge as a better player.
    I would play him wide left in front of Small.
    I could see Tyreece playing as a 10 in a diamond or 352. With a free role to drift out wide and cause overloads on both wings.

He at times gives the ball away, but that from trying to play probing/high risk passes. There is a real player there and I’m delighted he’s signed a new deal. 
    Can’t see him at as 10 in a diamond really, but gives us energy and width in the last 15 or 20 mins. 
    I think he can still improve from where he is, and I actually think he has to if we’re serious about going for promotion. 
  • To quote Eels:

Everyone loves you, nobody cares
    An awful collection of enemies and friends
    Congratulations to you with sad regrets
    I'm tired of the old shit, let the new shit begin
  • edited May 5
    That clip has reminded me how decent Albie's balls were. (Cue ooh matron gif)

Decent free kick, maybe a little too much on it if we're being hyper critical.

The cross for Dobson though pinpoint. 🤌🏽

Could argue for work rate and delivery he could be Jones esque were he still here. Shame about the other parts of his game mean he wasn't quite good enough for promotion - as shown at Blackpool too. (3g & 3a)

• Dazzler21 said:
    That clip has reminded me how decent Albie's balls were. (Cue ooh matron gif)

Decent free kick, maybe a little too much on it if we're being hyper critical.

The cross for Dobson though pinpoint. 🤌🏽

Could argue for work rate and delivery he could be Jones esque were he still here. Shame about the other parts of his game mean he wasn't quite good enough for promotion - as shown at Blackpool too. (3g & 3a)

Oh, ok then……

• Sponsored links:

• RedRyan said:
    Offered him an insulting contract that reflected his “squad player” status, offered him an “improved” contract that was still off what GD wanted, finally offered him what he’d asked for in the first place but by then it was too late and the damage had been done. Would have willingly sent him away in Jan/Feb during the middle of our relegation crisis.
    Thank you. See, @Henry Irving, that is how you answer a request for information. 
  • I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have ben made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Glad Tyreece is staying, would have been such a waste to just let him walk away
    Agree with that summary of Terrell. 

Gave his all every time he featured - a real team player -but some will only remember the errors he made whilst being more forgiving of others.

I wish him well & hope he finds another club before too long. 
    I loved Thomas's contribution during that hugely entertaining game v Ipswich. 

With the game set at 2-2 Ipswich scored two more during extra. Thomas then scored to make it 3-4, but most importantly grabbed the ball and sprinted back to the centre circle.  In the time remaining he made an absolutely crucial tackle before Dobson levelled it in the 98th minute.  Nothing wrong with the spirit of Thomas - I'm sure he'll not be long without a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BcrAByBqw
    More goals in added time than most games get in 90m. 
  • Terrell is unlucky as his form for last few games dipped…..didn’t realize how young he is ….28 and around his physical peak……thought he was in his 30s…..however the defense needed clearing out…as an academy product hope he gets a new club soon….
  • edited May 5
    Watching that Ipswich 4-4 game again, I remember thinking at the time that if they hadn't spent so much time pratting about celebrating their goals, they would have got the three points...what an injury time that was, full of both ends on the emotions scale...😫😫😊😊
  • Terrell lacked awareness and tactical nous. Technically a good player just not complete and consistent 
  • TT is a league one player but not a top six league one player. I’m sure he’ll get a new club and not disappoint.
  • edited May 5
    thenewbie said:
    TT is a league one player but not a top six league one player. I’m sure he’ll get a new club and not disappoint.
    He's good enough for where we ended up last season. But not good enough for where we want to go. He's decent when we need outstanding.
    Spot on. I wish I had some data scraping tool to analyse this site because I think statistically, "decent" would be the overwhelming adjective used in recent years. It's such a deceptive word because it feels positive but means average. And it's been used to describe so many players. 

There is no defending our recent record and the crap who have turned out for us. Let's not accept poor standards. I don't for one second think our manager does.
  • edited May 5
    Why do we keep LOL'ing Ronnie's posts, like the one at the top of this page, clearly posted to get the reaction it did, just what he wanted...there is nothing remotely funny in the post, just reactionary...