Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• Options
    Still puzzled why Hector and Thomas played more regularly than any of the CBs under Jones. I don't entirely buy the idea that he was evaluating them, as he didn't do that with the loan players, with the likes of Watson, Ladapo and Camara, all vanishing.
    Jones was injured, Ness isn't as good as them right now, REG is the puzzler for me. A back 5 with Ramsay and Small on the wings, needs pace, power and leadership in the middle. I think REG can offer the pace, we need 2 new centre backs to give the leadership and power
  • Options
    Great to see loads of bang average players off the books! The only vague prospect of promotion next season is a massive overhaul of the squad. Ever the optimist, I hope we bring in some real quality early in the pre-season so can have a flying start to the season.
  • Options
    I am a little surprised Tyreece is going to sign given that NJ didn’t play him too much and doesn’t seem fancy wide forwards
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Nice clear out, still some chaff to get shot of, a big turn over again but with Jones thats someone who has a clearer idea of what they want and need, so confident.

• Options
    Can’t really argue with any of the decisions apart from Dobbo but that ship has sailed. Nevertheless, once we get over ourselves, we should, with decent investment be able to sign better than George if the aim is promotion albeit our record isn’t great in that department.  Let’s hope the lessons of that debacle are learned.  I’d not have stressed if we let T Campbell go but I suspect he’s relatively cheap to keep and we’ve seen that if he’s handled properly there is something in there so he will hopefully mature. As things stand we have a squad of 23 that would just about manage to avoid relegation if nothing else changed. So we still need major surgery and a significant number of real quality incomings. It will be an interesting summer. 
  • Options
    I am a little surprised Tyreece is going to sign given that NJ didn’t play him too much and doesn’t seem fancy wide forwards

Jones has said a few times that he wanted some wingers/wide forwards to have options to play a different way. TC did come on a bit towards the end so maybe Jones has said to him you need to work on some bits and I can improve you.

I get the impression Jones likes the young projects like this that he can work on and allows the budget to get spent on the starting 11 as TC will not be on massive money. 
  • Options
    Some clubs list players that they are listening to offers for. However, I don’t think we should do that, weakens the negotiation position and we could maybe use some of these other players in trades? Fraser in a part deal for max dean maybe? Or Mcgrandles for the Lincoln GK? 
  • Options
    Hopefully quite a few under contact that we'll manage to move on as well. 

Tayo Edun
    Scott Fraser
    Aaron Henry
    Harry Isted OR AMB (keep one as backup) 
    Conor McGrandles

Lucas Ness (at least out on loan)
    Terry Taylor? (impossible to judge, worth a look in pre season) 
    Tennai Watson? (Could Ramsay be backup and a new first choice RWB been brought in)

Can't argue with much/all of this.  But I doubt it will be easy to move some of these guys on.  McGrandles might attract interest I suppose.  Maybe some will take payoffs in the hope of getting a longer deal elsewhere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:
    Charlton made a number of contract offers to George Dobson pre and post Christmas. The midfielder has signed a pre-contract agreement with Hungarian club Fehérvár. 

Am I the only one reading that and thinking - there's nothing new there that we didn't already know ergo that door is NOT completely closed.  Perhaps discussions ongoing.  That is far from a definitive statement imo

And the bit lower down where they wish him all the best in Hungary after reiterating his professionalism in every game and training session? 

The. Door. Is. Closed
    Yeah I didn't see that first time.

Cheers Dobbo and all the best
  • Options

Jones has said a few times that he wanted some wingers/wide forwards to have options to play a different way. TC did come on a bit towards the end so maybe Jones has said to him you need to work on some bits and I can improve you.

I get the impression Jones likes the young projects like this that he can work on and allows the budget to get spent on the starting 11 as TC will not be on massive money. 
    I think Jones thinks he can convert him to a number 10/striker. If not he offers the option to change formation in game.

Glad he is staying as he is always a threat when he comes on.
  • Options
    Dobson goes - very sad at this. Knew it was coming, but it still feels like a kick in the nuts to lose such a committed player at a time we're rebuilding. 
    Hector goes - it's a bit of a 'wait and see' one for me. Blew hot and cold. Sometimes he'd look unbeatable, but there always seemed to be a mistake just around the corner. If we can get better, then I'll be happy. 
    Thomas goes - Woohoo, let's have a party. Hopefully this is a turning point and we'll never sign players at this level again. Beer anyone?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Charlton made a number of contract offers to George Dobson pre and post Christmas. The midfielder has signed a pre-contract agreement with Hungarian club Fehérvár. 

Am I the only one reading that and thinking - there's nothing new there that we didn't already know ergo that door is NOT completely closed.  Perhaps discussions ongoing.  That is far from a definitive statement imo

That and the other bit could also be messages for George and his agent that Nathan is moving on with his plan and as things stand that plan won’t include George. As Dobson is reported as saying, Charlton could have done things better. Looks like they are now. If there is still a deal to be done it’s up to them to come back. If there isn’t then Nathan has already moved on with Plan A.
  • Options
    Not totally surprised but disappointed for Richard Chin simply because he was played virtually all his first team games out of position. Perhaps knowing the lad is clouding that judgement. I would like to think that there will be news of a new contract for Zach Mitchell given that runs out next season.  
    I agree that he perhaps didn't get a fair chance with us being played out of position, but When Chin went back to Dartford for a second loan spell this season, then on to Bath another NLS club it became clear that he wouldn't make it with us. I was surprised he couldn't even get a NL loan, as he's 21 now.

• Options
    Not totally surprised but disappointed for Richard Chin simply because he was played virtually all his first team games out of position. Perhaps knowing the lad is clouding that judgement. I would like to think that there will be news of a new contract for Zach Mitchell given that runs out next season.  
    I agree that he perhaps didn't get a fair chance with us being played out of position, but When Chin went back to Dartford for a second loan spell this season, then on to Bath another NLS club it became clear that he wouldn't make it with us. I was surprised he couldn't even get a NL loan, as he's 21 now.

I felt the same way about Harry Beadle when it happened to him but was equally gutted when his brother, James, left although absolutely understood his reasons for doing so. Which is why I mentioned Zach and that contract extension. Let's not forget he is another one who has a sibling he sees on a day to day basis who has enjoyed a better side of things recently. If he decides to leave then so be it but how much compensation is there for a 20 year old with less than a year to run?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Perhaps you need to read the next paragraph after that. 
  • Options
    Agreed with most of whats been said but i would ship both keepers out if i could. Neither are good enough. Rumours linking a pompey keeper with us but had one of theirs a few years back and he was crap too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Dobson (who was obviously gone) and Hector the only two of the departing I would have kept. The dislike for Hector is one that will always baffle me as he often looked very good. To each their own I suppose.

The Wickham and Lualua experiments were just that, experiments. LuaLua never started and never really impressed in his cameos. He always seemed an awkward fit apart from having worked with Jones before. Wickham impressed in flashes, and if he didn't have such an awful injury record, or if we didn't have Chuks, he might have been offered a contract. As it is, you can't have him and Chuks on the books at the same time. Both are good enough to play at a higher level, and both are held back by their fitness issues. 

TC staying is a good move. He had a down year but I think there is a lot more to come from him. Small was probably the second best signing made last season after May. Offering him a new long term deal is incredibly sensible. He's the same age as Anderson and Asiimwe, and younger than Kanu and TC.

The biggest problem is that there are a few players under contract who have question marks over them, most of whom have joined in the last year. 
    A good post. Spot on in everything I'd say. 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    He will go on to be a good player for someone, just unfortunately struggled at this level. He will always have the Brighton game where he was excellent and kept Mitoma quiet
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Current Squad

Goalkeepers:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 
    Harry Isted

Right Backs: 
    Kayne Ramsay
    Nathan Asiimwe
    Tennai Watson

Centre Backs:
    Lloyd Jones
    Lucas Ness
    Macaulay Gillesphey 
    Rarmani Edmonds-Green 
    Zack Mitchell

Left Backs:
    Tayo Edun
    Thierry Small

Central Midfielders:
    Aaron Henry
    Conor Coventry 
    Conor McGrandles 
    Karoy Anderson
    Scott Fraser
    Terry Thomas

Wingers:
    Tyreece Campbell

Strikers:
    Alfie May
    Chuks Aneke
    Daniel Kanu
    Miles Leaburn

23 players, so only 3 less than Jones' magic 26 as it stands, and he definitely wants 3 keepers. 

Of the above, i expect 6 or 7 of them to be moved out minimum, either on loan or being sold, especially in central midfield and centre backs, and I expect 10 or 11 signings to then cover that and fill any gaps. 
    A new goalkeeper. Cover for the left back. A new centre back. 2 new midfielders for Mcgrandles and Fraser another winger and one more centre forward = silverware. Anything less = tuppaware!
  • Options
    Still puzzled why Hector and Thomas played more regularly than any of the CBs under Jones. I don't entirely buy the idea that he was evaluating them, as he didn't do that with the loan players, with the likes of Watson, Ladapo and Camara, all vanishing.
    Yeah if he trusts REG and Macca less than Hector and Thomas that's quite worrying
  • Options
    I’m happy with the retained/released list. 

Massive summer trying to get this squad up to scratch now. 
  • Options
    All about the calibre of player we bring in for me, remember getting excited when Adam Matthews and Chris Gunter signed, and then getting excited when they left, when will we learn! 🙄
  • Options
    Pleased with that. Still some contracted chaff on the books but Nathan will have to manage that.
    For the case of Tyreece, I think decent wide players are hard to come by these days. There is a player in there. He needs to step up now.

Hector and Thomas the big losers considering their run of games last season, but 100% the right decision to move them on.
  • Options
    This must rate as first on here where we all agree on something the club has done and despite players now out of work, they can only blame themselves. Hector is going back in his career and didn't push himself until it was contract renewal time, Thomas was only ever brought in as cover and ended up being a fixture in a back four or three that had calamity written all over it. Neither of those two players know how to organise a defence or even talk to the rest of the back line. As for the players still out on loan, if Fraser comes further south than Berwick, I'd be shocked and I would like to think that McGrandles will get a permanent at Lincoln. Still more to depart, the two goal keepers, Edun, Henry and possibly Lloyd Jones. Everything positive at the moment, up next is who they bring in, surely it can't be as bad as last year, could it ? 
  • Options
    I hope we can off load a lot of those players still under contract, other wise another bad season coming.