Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know how long Campbell’s contract was extended for?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    TT is a league one player but not a top six league one player. I’m sure he’ll get a new club and not disappoint.
    He's good enough for where we ended up last season. But not good enough for where we want to go. He's decent when we need outstanding.
    That is my view on almost our entire squad. NJ has squeezed about all he can out of this group and I believe him when he days that they have given their all.

I might give my all when I do a 10k road race, but no matter what, when Mo Farah is on the field, I'm not getting anywhere near (the front 10,000).

These players simply aren't top end players and expecting anything else that where we ended up is delusional. The owners have woke up and realised, it's now time to lump in more or bail out. 

If they end up throwing good money after bad, well that's football ownership! 
    Absolutely spot on.

Most of our squad are at best, average League 1 players.

None of this team would have got into Chris Powell’s 2012 squad.
    And, very few if any would have got into Lee Bowyers 2019 squad.

Unless we have a massive change of personnel, thoughts of instant promotion is nothing but a dream.

• Options
    I don’t know, but I’d guess one year with the club having an extra 12 month option after that. 

In terms of balancing the squad, we’ll need some relatively low cost players in there to ensure we have adequate budget for the superstars we’re just bound to sign. I would imagine Tupac is cheap, so worth giving him another year to see if he progresses makes sense.
  • Options
    A week?
  • Options
    With regard to Campbell didn’t it say he’d been offered a new contract and that he’d accepted that offer but not that he’d actually signed it?
  • Options
    A very low key way of revealing a contract extension, compared with the separate announcement with "player proudly signing a piece of paper" photo you usually get...
  • Options
    Maybe the comms team forgot to add the ‘pre’ before contract? 😉 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very low key way of revealing a contract extension, compared with the separate announcement with "player proudly signing a piece of paper" photo you usually get...

I wonder if that is NJ.  He isn't exactly forthcoming on injury returns so maybe just his way?
  • Options
    One thing I’ve noticed in occasional flashes of play, is that Kanu, Campbell and Anderson have a good feel for where the other two are going to go - I also think I saw that from Campbell / Asimwe early in the season. If they progress, I think they could be a very useful group, especially when you add Leaburn to the mix. But they will definitely need some experience and steel to back them up. 
    Yes, I've observed that too SA. Bodes very well for next season with ML back too. Amy ideas who that steel and experience might be? A top goalie and a CB aside I think that steel is the last piece of the jigsaw. Really looking forward to next season...
  • Options
    We need a solid spine as has been mentioned on here several times. 

A consistent center back, a solid box to box midfielder, a proven big man up top. 

Then we need to rely less on the kids and more on better players so our kids can have loans to an easier league.

I hope not to NL though as even though recall is easier the challenge in recent years has shown our players come back stagnant - zero progression at most of the NL loans, coaching maybe not as good or the players become lazy as it's too easy a challenge. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We need a solid spine as has been mentioned on here several times. 

A consistent center back, a solid box to box midfielder, a proven big man up top. 

Then we need to rely less on the kids and more on better players so our kids can have loans to an easier league.

I hope not to NL though as even though recall is easier the challenge in recent years has shown our players come back stagnant - zero progression at most of the NL loans, coaching maybe not as good or the players become lazy as it's too easy a challenge. 
    maybe some short sharp NL loans to boost confidence, thinking really of Daniel Kanu's stint at Southend which was curtailed after a great start with them, because of our injuries. Certainly came back a more confident player.
  • Options
    One thing I’ve noticed in occasional flashes of play, is that Kanu, Campbell and Anderson have a good feel for where the other two are going to go - I also think I saw that from Campbell / Asimwe early in the season. If they progress, I think they could be a very useful group, especially when you add Leaburn to the mix. But they will definitely need some experience and steel to back them up. 
    I think this is an excellent point.
    I don’t know if it is a good or bad thing for those who have grown together and played together for many years should all kind of graduate together, but there is certainly an almost telepathic understanding and trust between some groups of our youngsters of the same cohort.
  • Options
    Shows what a great academy we have, and the experience all the above gained from playing together in the U18/U21's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be "interesting" to see what Nathan makes of Fraser when he turns up for pre season...will he see a "silk purse" or a "Sow's ear"...that could be one to watch...🙄
  • Options
    Be "interesting" to see what Nathan makes of Fraser when he turns up for pre season...will he see a "silk purse" or a "Sow's ear"...that could be one to watch...🙄
    Can’t see it working out for him here. He wanted to go back to Scotland (likely still the case) and he’s not suited to the high intensity and energy style Jones wants. It’s why Anderson played so much and players like L Watson were left out.
  • Options
    I'm all for George Dobson. And I'm all for what he's done for us.
     But if this regime are really going to walk the walk then they will need to find someone much better than Dobbo to hold dawn that slot.

Nostalgia is clouding a lot of judgement. But there is much better out there.
    Whether we are willing to pay for it is another matter.

So Charlton Athletic finished 16th in League one, and now we are going to try to attract a better midfield player than Dobson to the Valley !
    George never seemed to miss a game, never hid, and played 150 odd games at a higher standard than most of his colleagues over the duration of his stay. 
    Yes, he tried to be omnipresent and cover every blade of grass and do every job going.

I appreciate that George signed on the dotted line for next season in Hungary but despite the lost of face and if that means offering a big contract for league 1 then we need him and more like George with his fitness and ability to play 90+ minutes.

If that ship has truly sailed then Dobbo will be sadly missed.

He did kind of drop off quite heavily for 4/5 games later in the season, then picked up again for the last 3/4 games. 
  • Options
     But if this regime are really going to walk the walk then they will need to find someone much better than Dobbo to hold dawn that slot.

So Charlton Athletic finished 16th in League one, and now we are going to try to attract a better midfield player than Dobson to the Valley !
    George never seemed to miss a game, never hid, and played 150 odd games at a higher standard than most of his colleagues over the duration of his stay. 
    Yes, he tried to be omnipresent and cover every blade of grass and do every job going.

I appreciate that George signed on the dotted line for next season in Hungary but despite the lost of face and if that means offering a big contract for league 1 then we need him and more like George with his fitness and ability to play 90+ minutes.

From what I've heard via a mate who works with one of Dobbos mates is that he is going to be taking home 3 times what he was earning here after tax.

He wanted to stay but Andy Scott fucked it up with his derisory opening contract offer. I think the ship has sailed although there is always that 1% chance we spunk our entire summer budget on returning it to port 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

From what I've heard via a mate who works with one of Dobbos mates is that he is going to be taking home 3 times what he was earning here after tax.

He wanted to stay but Andy Scott fucked it up with his derisory opening contract offer. I think the ship has sailed although there is always that 1% chance we spunk our entire summer budget on returning it to port 
    We shouldn't, and we won't