Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited May 3
    Swisdom said:
    Charlton made a number of contract offers to George Dobson pre and post Christmas. The midfielder has signed a pre-contract agreement with Hungarian club Fehérvár. 

Am I the only one reading that and thinking - there's nothing new there that we didn't already know ergo that door is NOT completely closed.  Perhaps discussions ongoing.  That is far from a definitive statement imo

I thought the same

Edit only read the original post not the club link. Seems there's no way back then. 
  • Options
    I am a little surprised Tyreece is going to sign given that NJ didn’t play him too much and doesn’t seem fancy wide forwards

If your assessment is wright about how Jones sees Campbell, then why have they offered him a contract.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Current Squad

Central Midfielders:
    Aaron Henry
    Conor Coventry 
    Conor McGrandles 
    Karoy Anderson
    Scott Fraser
    Terry Thomas

23 players, so only 3 less than Jones' magic 26 as it stands, and he definitely wants 3 keepers. 

Of the above, i expect 6 or 7 of them to be moved out minimum, either on loan or being sold, especially in central midfield and centre backs, and I expect 10 or 11 signings to then cover that and fill any gaps. 
    You're an absolute shower !
  • Options
    edited May 3
    LTKapal said:
    Sage said:
    Goalkeepers:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer
    Harry Isted

Right Backs: 
    Kayne Ramsay
    Nathan Asiimwe
    Tennai Watson

Centre Backs:
    Lloyd Jones
    Lucas Ness
    Macaulay Gillesphey 
    Rarmani Edmonds-Green 
    Zack Mitchell

Left Backs:
    Thierry Small

Central Midfielders:
    Aaron Henry
    Conor Coventry 
    Conor McGrandles 
    Karoy Anderson
    Scott Fraser
    Terry Taylor
    Tayo Edun

Wingers:
    Tyreece Campbell

Strikers:
    Alfie May
    Chuks Aneke
    Daniel Kanu
    Miles Leaburn

From the squad above:
    • I have moved Edun into midfield as this is where I believe Jones sees him as a player, not at left back.
    • In bold are the players I expect to be part of the squad next season with probably 5 or 6 of them in the starting 11. 
    • In italic are the players I think will be assessed early in pre-season who could potentially be moved on if the opportunity arises and Jones does not think they're going to feature much. I expect at least one of them to leave.
    • In strikethrough are the players I think will be sold/free to leave if the club can move them on.
    • This leaves 11 players I think will definitely be here come the start of the season.
    • 7 players who will have their futures assessed and allowed to leave if Jones believes that is the right decision.
    • 4 players who will definitely be allowed to leave and/or be sold/let go.
    • Overall, I think we could see as many as 10 players coming in.
    Moving on team of the year inductee Tennai Watson, how could you!
    I know this is tongue in cheek, but at 27 he's played just 123 league games and was brought in very, very late because we had not signed a right-back earlier. He was never first choice and he's proved this season to be nowhere near the level of a top/promotion chasing side.

People will point out that he played for Milton Keynes when they finished 3rd, but so much of that success was down to a front 3 of Parrott, Eisa and Twine with players like Darling and O'Riley chipping in. Since then, Twine has done very well in the Championship, Darling plays in the Championship, and O'Riley plays for Celtic. Eisa does score goals and Parrott is probably one who has not lived up to the potential Spurs hoped he would, although he is only 22.

Ramsay is clearly ahead of him in terms of ability, potential and profile of player Jones will want, and if we can move Watson on, who has a year left on his contract, we absolutely should. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have ben made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Glad Tyreece is staying, would have been such a waste to just let him walk away
    Agree with GM. Thomas did a decent job covering several positions. He is unlucky not to get a del but will end up with another Div 1 club and probably do quite well.
    Hector has so much talent but seems to lack concentration. 
    I trust we can import some defenders who will fight like tigers rather than fanny around.
  • Options
    To be honest I think this is phase one of the squad rebuild. Huge task to move on those we need to and replace with better all in one window. Of course I hope I’m wrong but I see season 25/26 as the season we get promoted not 24/25. The mountain is just too steep and high to be done in one attempt. 
  • Options
    Shame there wasn't a final paragraph that read.....

And we will be listening to offers for

Mcgrandells 
    Fraser
    Taylor 
    ....the rest, barring 1 or 2 exceptions 
  • Options
    A big turnover of players in the summer.
    Hoping for some decent signings.
    Terry Taylor will be like a new signing ( again )
  • Options
    For me, Isted did nothing to prove he is a better keeper than AMB, If anything he showed he was more erratic and a shit kicker. I'd ship him out personally. I'd also get rid of Watson, Edun, McGrandles, Fraser, Taylor and Henry. 

If Fraser wanted to stay, i'd personally keep him, however i think he wants a move back up to Scotland. Henry has done nothing on his loan or with us to show his good enough for us sadly, as i always thought he had some much potential. Taylor i'd keep but send out on loan, don't personally believe his done anything to merit being even a squad option atm. McGrandles just isn't for us, Tennai i'd keep as a backup, Edun can do wherever he wishes. 

Goalkeepers:
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2nd choice
    Harry Isted

Right Backs: 
    Kayne Ramsay
    Nathan Asiimwe – send on loan, league 2 team until Jan
    Tennai Watson

Centre Backs:
    Lloyd Jones
    Lucas Ness
    Macaulay Gillesphey 
    Rarmani Edmonds-Green 
    Zack Mitchell – loan out for season

Left Backs:
    Thierry Small

Central Midfielders:
    Aaron Henry
    Conor Coventry 
    Conor McGrandles 
    Karoy Anderson
    Scott Fraser
    Terry Taylor
    Tayo Edun

Wingers:
    Tyreece Campbell

Strikers:
    Alfie May
    Chuks Aneke
    Daniel Kanu
    Miles Leaburn

• Options
    If there remains a cadre of players with time left on their contract, but are not willing to leave (which I suppose is their right) I wonder if playing over age players in the U21 games is realistic.
    Get some mileage out of them as it were, and keep them ticking over.
  • Options
    Personally would have kept Hector possibly Wickham but agree with everything else.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have ben made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Might be wrong but feels like misplaced credit. Hard to argue that our defense kept us up. It was the defense that kept us from competing in this league and kept us drawing so many games, with only Carlisle having less clean sheets.  
  • Options
    Had a look at the out of contract players in the Championship and League one, personally a few names on here that i'd be happy with

Out of Contract Players Championship/L1 2024

Goalkeepers

Christian Walton – Ipswich
    Ben Hamer – Watford – just for the nostalgia
    Jed Steer – Peterborough

RB’s
    West Harding – Millwall
    Jamie Shackleton – Leeds
    Jordan Williams – Barnsley – He’d be my first choice
    Sean Long – Cheltenham
    Fin Stevens – Oxford
    Tom James – Leyton Orient

LBs
    Sam McCallum – Norwich – Out of contract and lots of potential, also from Canterbury

Brendan Galloway – Plymouth
    Ben Williams – Cheltenham
    Tom Pearce - Wigan

CBs

Jimmy Dunne – QPR

Di-Shon Bernard – Sheff Weds

Patrick Bauer – Preston
    Josh Knight – Peterborough
    Sam Hughes – burton
    Sean Raggett
    Jack Simpson – Leyton Orient
    Jason Kerr – Wigan
    Sam Sherring - Northampton

DM/CMs
    Hakeem Odoffin - Rotherham
    Dominic Ball – Ipswich
    Alan Browne – Preston
    Joe Williams – Bristol City
    Greg Docherty – Hull
    Jordan Thompson – Stoke
    Jamie Lindsay – Rotherham
    Marcus McGuane – Oxford
    Shaun McWilliams – Northampton
    Sonny Carey – Blackpool
    Herbie Kane – Barnsley
    Tom Bayliss – Shrewsbury
    Mark Helm – Burton
    Joe Powell – Burton
    Daniel Mandroiu – Lincoln

Wingers
    Jordan Gibson – Carlisle
    Femi Azeez – Reading
    Nicky Cadden – Barnsley
    Mickel Miller – Plymouth
    Chris Willock – QPR
    Tyrhys Dolan – Blackburn – What a signing it would be but never going to happen

Strikers
    JCH – Peterborough
    Daniel Udoh – Shrewsbury
    Aaron Connolly – Hull
    Tyrese Campbell – Stoke
    Sinclair Armstrong – QPR – Have 1 year Option
    Sam Gallagher – Blackburn – Have 1 year option

• Options
    edited May 3
    May have missed it, but hopefully they have offered Kayne Ramsay an extended contract like Small, we need that done asap if not already...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have been made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Might be wrong but feels like misplaced credit. Hard to argue that our defense kept us up. It was the defense that kept us from competing in this league and kept us drawing so many games. 
    I haven't said anywhere it was the defence that kept us up though. I did say he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, which is true. He played every game despite there being a fair few other options available in that area. He played every minute under Jones apart from when he got hurt against Barnsley and came off with 2 minutes to go. Across that time Jones used Ness, REG, Gillesphey, Hector and Lloyd Jones but Thomas is the only one who was always chosen and we improved defensively (19 goals conceded in 16, 30 goals conceded in Appleton's last 16 games) in that period, otherwise we wouldn't have stayed up. Jones didn't come in on a brief to just see out the season, he had to turn our results around to keep us in the league and he most consistently chose Thomas to help do that. Thomas didn't do it single-handedly but it's a fact that he was called upon more than anyone else to get that job done.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    May have missed it, but hopefully they have offered Kayne Ramsay an extended contract like Small, we need that done asap if not already...
    Signed a three and a half year deal when he signed. 

Small has been offered new terms and if rejected we have him on a years extension at the very least. 
    Thanks @covered_end_junior ..., now you mention it, I do remember this...🙄
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Chunes said:
    I do feel a bit bad for Thomas. He played every single game under Jones across all three CB positions and captained the side for our biggest result. He looked like he was one Jones trusted to do a job and there's no denying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation. Towards the end Thomas started to fall apart though and his timing on that really wasn't great. I'd like to think of it as Jones trusted Thomas to do enough to keep us away from relegation but now that we're heading into a transfer window he's not at the high level required and we're aiming higher, which implies certain promises have been made. Considering we brought him in on a bit of a random free transfer as cover he played 61 games for us, filled in well at LB the previous season and until the fairly miserable end was probably our most consistent defender this season. Not good enough to be starting for a team pushing for promotion but he did the job that was asked of him in his two seasons and I'll think of him well for that.

Might be wrong but feels like misplaced credit. Hard to argue that our defense kept us up. It was the defense that kept us from competing in this league and kept us drawing so many games. 
    I haven't said anywhere it was the defence that kept us up though. I did say he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, which is true. He played every game despite there being a fair few other options available in that area. He played every minute under Jones apart from when he got hurt against Barnsley and came off with 2 minutes to go. Across that time Jones used Ness, REG, Gillesphey, Hector and Lloyd Jones but Thomas is the only one who was always chosen and we improved defensively (19 goals conceded in 16, 30 goals conceded in Appleton's last 16 games) in that period, otherwise we wouldn't have stayed up. Jones didn't come in on a brief to just see out the season, he had to turn our results around to keep us in the league and he most consistently chose Thomas to help do that. Thomas didn't do it single-handedly but it's a fact that he was called upon more than anyone else to get that job done.
    I feel it's not too much of a leap? You're saying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, I'm just saying that the defense doesn't deserve much, if any, credit for that. 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Tyreece Campbell from Stoke would be good for a laugh.

As for released or not retained players, it brings me back to that old tale of advice from one football manager to another:

'make sure that your player's legs go, on another manager's pitch'
  • Options
    Exactly the decisions I would’ve made so I’m very happy with this list.

Bonus news that Tyreece Campbell has already signed a new deal.

Big summer ahead.
  • Options
    Thomas proved he's a steady L1 defender and a decent character, and will get another contract elsewhere in L1. Somewhere like Cambridge for example. Is he a promotion team defender though? Unlikely. 

I suspect that he and Hector have also suffered from being the 2 out of contract centre backs, when the other senior CBs Jones, REG and Gillesphey who I suspect have yet to entirely win over NJ, are under contract to 2025, 2026 and 2026 respectively, and thus much harder to move on if he wants to bring in new defenders.
    Yes, if we were looking to maintain the same sort of level as last season then Thomas would certainly get another contract. But the fact of the matter is that we want (well, need) to improve considerably across the board.

Thomas is probably a decent enough defender. But we don't need "decent enough" we need excellence. I am sure he won't be without a job for too long but I honestly can't see him ever being "one that got away" either.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I feel it's not too much of a leap? You're saying he was a central part of the team Jones put out to steer us clear of relegation, I'm just saying that the defense doesn't deserve much, if any, credit for that. 
    Well he was a central part because he played every game. That's just factual. He could have played other defenders but he didn't. And I think you're off base with the defence because defence was the thing that needed to improve and it did. We scored 21 goals in Jones' 16 games and 21 in Appleton's last 16. Our problem was never scoring goals, it was the amount we conceded, especially late on. Across that cross-section of matches we scored the same number of goals under Appleton but conceded 21 more and kept no clean sheets. It's difficult to want to give the defence credit (which I never have at any point, that's come from you, I've just said I feel bad for Thomas because he did his job when called upon by Jones and has now lost it) because they went from terrible to sometimes not awful, but it was only by the defence cutting down on the constant errors that led to goals and not switching off after 85 minutes that we stayed up. There's more to it than that, players like Kanu and Anderson defended from the front and Small provided more wide threat but from an attacking perspective we didn't transform to save ourselves, we became harder to beat as a team. If you think the defence weren't involved in that at all then cool I guess
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Delighted. Higher standards needed for our CBs. Teams don't get promoted by constantly giving away cheap goals away and Hector, Thomas, Innis, etc... were bona fide experts in switching off in key moments. Standards need to be much higher. 

I think Jones is the one to drive those standards and to find the players who live up to them

I hope next season we start with a much more consistent backline
    We need more consistency across the entire team. Many of our players could do good things at times, which gained the supporters, but then they would either switch off, doing something stupid or go off and doing something outside their set role. If we want to get out of this league then all that has to stop - you could see that Jones was trying to enforce some consistency, only for it regularly to be undermined by some of the players losing concentration. 
    I'm not sure Jones's substitutions of May recently weren't linked to Alfie deciding to go hunting for the ball rather than staying in position