Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released & Retained list 2024

Comments

• Options
    Small not signing the longer term deal put in front of him is a real concern. We can of course trigger the one year extension but I fear that if it’s obvious he’s not going to sign then the club will cash in now. Disaster as he’s just the sort of player we need for a tilt at top six. 
  • Options
    Small not signing the longer term deal put in front of him is a real concern. We can of course trigger the one year extension but I fear that if it’s obvious he’s not going to sign then the club will cash in now. Disaster as he’s just the sort of player we need for a tilt at top six. 
    How do you know that he's not signed it now
  • Options
    edited May 8
    Millwall rumoured to be looking to sign Small.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Well they'll have to offer a monetary amount seeing that he's under contract for another 12-months with us
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    We’ve offered him a longer deal and I have little doubt that if he’d signed it we’d have been told. Perhaps it is still bouncing around the negotiation table but he doesn’t seem in any rush. I don’t  blame him for that but looking at his previous I’d say him and his agent move to wherever he gets the best deal quite readily. It’s a concern I think because he’s exactly what we need.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    We’ve offered him a longer deal and I have little doubt that if he’d signed it we’d have been told. Perhaps it is still bouncing around the negotiation table but he doesn’t seem in any rush. I don’t  blame him for that but looking at his previous I’d say him and his agent move to wherever he gets the best deal quite readily. It’s a concern I think because he’s exactly what we need.
    Have you considered the players are on their holidays?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 8
    Richard J said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Is that other than the FLW site which looked to be speculation rather than firm interest?
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/millwall-raiding-rivals-charlton-athletic-thierry-small/

Millwall: Raiding rivals Charlton Athletic can give Neil Harris a solution - View

PUBLISHED 15 HOURS AGO

No doubt Oliver Walton is a Millwall fan on a wind up.

It turns out Football League World is just a more formal version of that website from ten years ago where anyone could post a transfer they dreamt up and it would get published anonymously.
  • Options
    Football-rumours.com was great fun every summer because they'd literally post anything no matter how outlandish. 

FLW does seem quite similar but tries to pass itself off as journalism. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I'm all for George Dobson. And I'm all for what he's done for us.
     But if this regime are really going to walk the walk then they will need to find someone much better than Dobbo to hold dawn that slot.

Nostalgia is clouding a lot of judgement. But there is much better out there.
    Whether we are willing to pay for it is another matter.

So Charlton Athletic finished 16th in League one, and now we are going to try to attract a better midfield player than Dobson to the Valley !
    George never seemed to miss a game, never hid, and played 150 odd games at a higher standard than most of his colleagues over the duration of his stay. 
    Yes, he tried to be omnipresent and cover every blade of grass and do every job going.

I appreciate that George signed on the dotted line for next season in Hungary but despite the lost of face and if that means offering a big contract for league 1 then we need him and more like George with his fitness and ability to play 90+ minutes.

If that ship has truly sailed then Dobbo will be sadly missed.

From what I've heard via a mate who works with one of Dobbos mates is that he is going to be taking home 3 times what he was earning here after tax.

He wanted to stay but Andy Scott fucked it up with his derisory opening contract offer. I think the ship has sailed although there is always that 1% chance we spunk our entire summer budget on returning it to port 
    We shouldn't, and we won't 
    I very much agree.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    We have triggered a one year deal so anyone that wants him will have to pay a fee.
  • Options
    If was offered a Championship level contract at championship pay levels, you cannot blame him for thinking about or even taking it.
    I would guess Championship pay is on average 4 times greater than league 1.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    We have triggered a one year deal so anyone that wants him will have to pay a fee.
    Well that’s what I said. ‘Cash in”. Not ideal though is it. I suppose it’s the harsh reality of being a mid table third tier club. 
  • Options
    The Small position is pretty similar to the Dobbo one, he may not want to stay with us another year but he is contractually obliged to. Anyone who wants him will have to pay a fee or wait a year. I wonder if all those who were in denial about the Dobbo situation will be as steadfast in their beliefs that contracts aren't legally binding :smiley:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    Well that’s what I said. ‘Cash in”. Not ideal though is it. I suppose it’s the harsh reality of being a mid table third tier club. 
    Ok. Fair enough.. if he does go at least we will make a profit on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NugNug
    edited May 9
    So this is weird, am in the US at the moment and just caught the first 10 minutes of this tv show Lloyd Jones is doing (I won't be watching it anymore absolutely awful).

Anyway when introducing him they said he was at Cambridge last season showed him in a Charlton shirt then he said he was in between teams. Didn't mention Charlton at all. Wonder if this was filmed last summer?
  • Options
    Nug said:
    So this is weird, am in the US at the moment and just caught the first 10 minutes of this tv show Lloyd Jones is doing (I won't be watching it anymore absolutely awful).

Anyway when introducing him they said he was at Cambridge last season showed him in a Charlton shirt then he said he was in between teams. Didn't mention Charlton at all. Wonder if this was filmed last summer?
    It was filmed last summer, before he joined us.
  • Options
    I've reflected on our releases again and decided that they're for the best. In Hector, Thomas, DJ and Dobson we've released numbers 6, 3, 7 and 4. Camara was 8 and he's gone and hopefully we'll move on Fraser at 10. It's a shame we've retained Ness at 5 but overall it means than we can stop this recent number horseshit we've been at recently. Coventry 40? REG 47? 47?! Ramsay 66? I'm not having it. We can spend the summer signing proper players and giving them proper numbers, while not letting Edun take 7 because I'll be upset if we do. This is the most important thing.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Is that other than the FLW site which looked to be speculation rather than firm interest?
    FLW - just a clickbait site (and as MarcusH26 said) pretending to be serious journalism.  

NewsNow seems to promote these type of amateur “what can we make up today” type sites.   

Those involving the well informed and trusted Cawley excepted.  

That said - fire enough bullets and you’ll get a hit eventually. 

• Options
    I tend to go in terms of reliability that's not Cawley, Football Insider/Pete O'Rourke is usually pretty solid. We rarely seem to appear on sites like The Athletic unless it's long form pieces about ownership 😅
  • Options
    I agree. FLW is a nonsense site, which is pure clickbait, save for the odd parasitical piece from credible sources.

In fairness, they do headline the odd article as an ‘Opinion’ piece, which I suspect are knocked up by interns who incompetently trawl social media and discussion boards to make crap up.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I tend to go in terms of reliability that's not Cawley, Football Insider/Pete O'Rourke is usually pretty solid. We rarely seem to appear on sites like The Athletic unless it's long form pieces about ownership 😅
    Thanks for the heads up on that.   I’ll keep an eye out.    

(Despite my clickbait views… I just can’t help but jump in a couple of times a day 🤦🏻‍♂️)
  • Options
    Does anyone know what sort of fee we might get for Small? I think he's not ready for Championship week in week out. If its first team footie he wants he should stick around for the next year here. If its quadruple wages benchwarming "doing a Parker" he should go. 
  • Options
    edited May 13
    Does anyone know what sort of fee we might get for Small? I think he's not ready for Championship week in week out. If its first team footie he wants he should stick around for the next year here. If its quadruple wages benchwarming "doing a Parker" he should go.