Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Fri 03 Jul 2020| Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    usually I’m annoyed at these games because we do generally bottle it, but tonight we could’ve carried on playing long into next season and we were never going to score.

i can’t fault the job Bowyer has done in getting us organised and well drilled, but the lack of talent and ability to win games and create chances is there for all to see.  I can see why he set up the way he did for Cardiff and expect the same at Brentford (could be a very hard watch, they’re a million times better than Cardiff).

we toiled and we puffed and apart from the 10th - 35th minute when we couldn’t get to grips with their set up.  We sorted it formation wise, but then it comes down to the ability of the players to be able to create the chances and score.

What can we do.  Taylor has walked away, Bonne was a national league player last season having to jump 2 divisions, Hemed is like a clapped out old banger we’ve picked up with his best years well behind him.  McGeady can probably produce this ability to shoot with either foot once every 3 weeks in training.  Williams can zig zag the ball forwards 10 yards before being fouled, injured and out for 3 months.  Aneke looks like he might have a touch, but can only last 10 minutes.  Green hasn’t really shown anything of any substance and Cullen is not an attacking midfielder.  Doughty and Morgan are really the only other other 2 options when it comes to adding to our attacking and both of those were on loan at non league clubs prior to Xmas.  

That sums up the situation.  We’ve got a good spirit, a bunch of players that for the most part give their all.  Our management team are performing miracles having gotten us to where we are, they can do no more now.  

Our season will come down to our ability to pick up wins against Reading, Brum and Wigan.  We need 7 points from our remaining 5, but realistically 7 from those 3 as they all around us

Good post. Agreed I don't think there's much more Bowyer can try with the crop of players he's been handed.

We just have to hope that we get a couple of goals via a bit of luck in the last few games and that teams around us drop a few points the meantime.

I think if some of the 6 below us drop points over the weekend that may give the players a bit of confidence. If they all win again and the gap closes then I worry.
  • Options
    It's painful being a Charlton fan... 
  • Options
    Totally blunt up front, needs sorting or else we will get dragged into the shit. 

It's difficult to sort if you have no other strikers to come in & you have no midfielders weighing in with goals & we're already in the shit. Wigan are appealing their 12 point deduction & with the EFL who knows what decision they'll make ?
    It is still in our hands .... just. If Chuk is the answer up front then surely he must start & play for as long he is able. I haven't seen the games but surely if Bonne & Hemed are so out of touch why start them both ? If McGeady is so shit playing wide bench him & then if we're chasing the game bring him on to play a more central role behind the front two, & hopefully picking up loose balls around the area, he's got a decent shot on him, at least have a go. I'm sure there's still a lot of twists & turns with everyone below us picking up wins just the same as us but with Brentford next & Leeds last game + our inability to score I fear the worst. Bedwetter Bob
  • Options
    I think it is long overdue for Davison to have a crack of the whip up front now,he surely cant do any worse than our other forwards surely????  I said the other night after the draw that I would like to have seen him play in tonights match. He maybe very young and raw but he is up for a battle,looked hungry when he played earlier this season ,can put himself about a fair bit and has a shot on him. Come on LB give him a half at least,might just wind our other forwards up a bit to pull their finger out!!
  • Options
    I actually thought for a brief 10 minute period Aneke and Hemed had a bit of a understanding. McGeady also looked a lot more dangerous centrally. We'll move on, hope results go our way this weekend and try and beat Brentford 
  • Options
    In reality our strikers DIDN'T have that many clear cut chances. Other than the Bonne one on one, the other shots were half chances really, and while Bonne should have done better, even Kane and Aguero miss plenty of one on ones

The reality is that we didn't create enough, whether in open play or from set pieces. In the first half Millwall looked dangerous from nearly every set piece, it's a limited way of attacking but they did it well.
  • Options
    Don't know whether it's because I'm not there, or because I honestly thought we played okay, but I'm not really that pissed off at all, whereas after the game at their place I was fuming.

More concerned than angry tbh as with the form of the teams below us we still probably need two wins which is looking a big ask with how toothless we are up front. 
  • Options
    Can’t be bothered to pick the bones out of it - Millwall games are a write off.

one thing that baffles me is Oshilaja at left back...I just don’t understand Bowyers thinking behind it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor game with a squad that has lacked quality all season, thank heavens we had a good start to the season. 

Williams has more assists than any other player in our squad. Yet he has only started 13 games and was given 15 minutes tonight to get us a result. 

According to LB we had five clear cut chances and they had one half chance that they took. I suggest he watches the game again. Then he publicly blames Bonne for costing us the game by missing the one on one. As if his confidence isn't low enough as it is.

So yes we probably can't go for it in the way we might like against Brentford and Leeds because those two sides would probably rip us to shreds on the counter. But let's see a little bit more adventure against the likes of Reading, Birmingham and Wigan because we simply have to win two of those games.
  • Options
    Williams needs to be back in the team, he had 5 or 6 assists before he got injured, we're seriously lacking on the creativity front. 
  • Options
    As been said, I always write off Millwall games. It's psychological. I am disappointed still and annoyed. But CAS Trust have royally mistimed their latest Twitter post. I feel for Wigan, but don't piggyback this defeat. Not only is it poor taste, but I want them to fight for us first and foremost. And thats not by going 'Think of Wigan' tonight of all nights.
  • Options
    Shame on those who have ripped off our club recently ,I refer to a certain  so called money man who has a taste for Range rovers!  and lest we forget the COWARD that was once our main striker  .I pray that karma really does work .Regards to tonight’s match our defence was superb,but. where were our forwards? I hesitate to use the word strikers.! Keep the faith everybody.
  • Options
    Disappointing tonight as not much in the game,thought/hoped we were going to get a point!
     Stoke v Barnsley tomorrow! A Stoke win keeps Barnsley 5 points away
    from us but a 2-0 Stoke win takes them above us-A draw would be best??
  • Options
    Disappointing tonight as not much in the game,thought/hoped we were going to get a point!
    Hard to tell what we want... 

do we want the bottom two to be as far away from us and then Wigan to have points deducted

or 

so we want as many teams between us and the relegation zone
  • Options
    What we do want is a goal from Open Play...Please.....!!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

do we want the bottom two to be as far away from us and then Wigan to have points deducted

or 

We want those teams around us to draw when they play each other and to lose when they play anyone else. Apart from when they play us of course! That way if we beat Wigan and say Reading too we might be just about safe.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

or 

We want those teams around us to draw when they play each other and to lose when they play anyone else. Apart from when they play us of course! That way if we beat Wigan and say Reading too we might be just about safe.
    Granted, but they would be 10 Christmas’ at once! 

In reality, teams are going to pick up points - it’s how we prefer they do it is the question  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Our strike force just isn’t good enough for this division and that’s it. Stick Lyle and Grant up top and we win that game 3 or 4-1. Hemed and Bonne tried, but they’re simply not up to the Championship
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Piss weak referee lets Cooper off with yellow card for horror over the ball studs up assault on Morgan. Only a yellow for thrown elbow by Molumby who followed up with blow to head also on Morgan. Morgan not fit for 2nd half Cooper scores winner. Whitestone this one’s on you you inadequate spineless farce. Hopeless cowards like you ruin the game. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

or 

Granted, but they would be 10 Christmas’ at once! 

In reality, teams are going to pick up points - it’s how we prefer they do it is the question  
    I hoped I'd answered that one but, if you're asking me to predict how those teams' results will actually go, all I can say is that if I could do that I would currently be residing in a tax free jurisdiction like those Cayman Island and Lookout chaps - counting all my money!
  • Options
    Williams must not even be turning up for training for Mcgeady to be starting over him. I don't get it
    Mentioned on the past couple of match threads that he has been sexting his boss's missus during lockdown.
  • Options
    It reminds me of the sheffield wednesday home match, millwall weren't that good. we were just worse.
  • Options
    Shame Cullen had his worst game in a while. I think that was pivotal to the result. As well as that, too many players shoehorned into the wrong position, plus Bonne's effort spinning to safety off the tip of the keeper's toe instead of into the net (literally a couple of millimetres from being a great finish). 

All season, we have played better against the more expansive teams, hence the reason we are unbeaten against the current top six. Unfortunately, we have a bad habit of losing to teams that play minimalist football. This is something Bowyer needs to address, because if we get sucked into their style of play like we did tonight, then the taller, more muscular and cynical side will nearly always win (Preston, Birmingham and Middlesbro at home spring instantly to mind).

Despite one or two decent chances, our forwards are lacking confidence and snatching at the occasional opportunities they get. Bonne has shown he can be a half decent poacher inside the box, but we need to get the ball in there regularly, and not with a hopeful diagonal cross from halfway inside the opponents half.
    Hemed too needs good crosses into the box, preferably pulled back from the byline. With Aneke and Doughty also able to get a shot away in tight spaces, surely we just need to concentrate on getting the ball in there quickly and more often. Tonight, our best chance came from two 50/50 challenges breaking our way in a matter of seconds. We need to have a go! Off the top of my head, at home to West Brom, away to Fulham, home to Fulham (last 30 minutes), home to Forest, away to Swansea (2nd half), we took the game to our opponents and really rattled them. With the defence we have, we should trust them and attack more.
  • Options
    The way Bonne runs really pisses me off, he does this annoying side on run like his prepared for something to happen, yet is so immobile