Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Is Bowyer now claiming that top 6 has never been the aim? Is he fucking sure?
    It makes absolutely no sense, he’s saying that where we are in the table (7th) is “overachieving” but also where we are in the table (out of the playoffs) could get him sacked at the end of the season. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

Tired of the flip flopping depending on whether we win or lose.
    Are you seriously saying that no other manager could have done a better job? 
    No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

It’ll be interesting to see what TS does if
    anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...

Every six months bring in a manager if things are not going well?
    I thought Bowyer had been in charge since March 2018 so nearly three years now. He's done a very poor job this season up to now going by results and performances.

If there's no upturn by the end of the season he deserves the sack. 
    I think what Elfs is saying is that when people call for Bowyer to be sacked they like to repeat the stat of X number of wins in 21 (?) games... On that basis he's saying that any Manager who has a similar run should also be sacked

100%
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think the defence is our issue and there's not an alternative manager that would get more out of them.

If we get Inniss and Famewo back then the side will look completely different but time is running out in terms of this season.

Think he deserves the season and especially when he hasn't had his first choice centre backs for over half of it.

No doubt some would get more from this squad - plenty would do similar or worse too, think Slade, Parkinson, Robinson and personally I’d include Powell in that group as well.

I’d want a big rebuild if we somehow went up with this squad, it would seriously struggle in the Championship.

I find it difficult to blame Bowyer and Gallen for that when they had to sign over 10 players in two weeks with the salary cap in place. I think it’s safe to assume very few promotion sides have been built in similar circumstances.

I’m not fully Bowyer in or out at the moment. For me if we change manager it’s probably
    not going to resolve the main issues, I see it more likely to end in the way Powell’s first season did and we’d come to accept this squad isn’t quite up to it. Too many players who are good on paper and yet at the same time many of them we’d happily replace in the summer.

anything over the next few months. A few decisions could be the difference between his plan and ambition coming together or several years of us sloshing around in this league.
    Powell inherited a hopeless squad from Parky and couldn't do anything with them - Parky was pretty unfairly sacked in my view given the dross he was working with then.

Bowyer has a much better squad than Parky had and we're basically showing relegation form over the last 18 games - a bit more than a blip. He's underachieving and if he continues like this he fully deserves the sack. The patience of TS will run out...

I thought Bowyer had been in charge since March 2018 so nearly three years now. He's done a very poor job this season up to now going by results and performances.

I think what Elfs is saying is that when people call for Bowyer to be sacked they like to repeat the stat of X number of wins in 21 (?) games... On that basis he's saying that any Manager who has a similar run should also be sacked

100%
    Managers ultimately get sacked if they're doing badly and under perform - if Lee doesn't meet the expectations of the owner he will be removed. If TS is happy with Lee's performance then Lee will have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I make Bowyer right. We're certainly overerchieving

😂 Eh? Bowyer in crowd are almost a cult at this point. He could say the earth was a triangle and you'd all agree
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:

😂 Eh? Bowyer in crowd are almost a cult at this point. He could say the earth was a triangle and you'd all agree
    It's a square.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm only going to say I think the point is moot. He'll be here the rest of the season and that's when a decision will be made. 

I do think that anything short of top six should (and will) mean goodbye but TS is going to be the one to make that call whatever we say on here.
  • Options
    I didn't watch the game. Can't be bothered with that at the moment.

If this was a 2018 bowyer...we would be in the top 4. 

Post Karl Robinson Bowyer had the power.

I don't want him to go as I don't think it's the Charlton way, but starting to perhaps sound like he won't re-generate, from a personal perspective.

Everyone needs a routine solid normal pre season to wash off and start again. He of all people needed it and he didn't get it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

100%
    Managers ultimately get sacked if they're doing badly and under perform - if Lee doesn't meet the expectations of the owner he will be removed. If TS is happy with Lee's performance then Lee will have nothing to worry about.

Sandgaard was quoted as saying he wanted promotion in two years.  He believed in Bowyer.
    Bowyer, being realistic, has until December 2021 maximum.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

If this was a 2018 bowyer...we would be in the top 4. 

Post Karl Robinson Bowyer had the power.

That’s some good conjecture!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:

At least a triangle consistently gets three points!

• Options
    I’ve  slaughtered Bowyer in the past but not today.

Two of those goals today were straight out of the Premier league. I have never seen goals of the quality we’ve been seeing at our place ever in league one.

our performances have definitely improved in the last few weeks. We are retaining possession for a start. There was a bad vibe in the place. The digging players out. The chopping and changing. It’s all stopped
    The squad wasn’t right at the start of the season. When have you ever known players to be hooked and moved on halfway through a season?
    I can’t remember it before.

If he has to go, he has to go. But things have definitely improved,even if results are not showing that yet.

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.
    Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.
    OK its exactly the same situation 
    No, it clearly isn't exactly the same situation, so a bit odd of you to cite Klopp's success over the last few years, implying that Bowyer hasn't had any success, when he quite obviously had given the circumstances he was working under.
    Has it been successful though? Yes we went up but came straight back down. He could easily leave us in a very similar position to the one he took over in. 

Admittedly the circumstances have mostly been horrendous, so progress was a long shot. Unfortunately for him it’s not anymore so he’s open to a lot more criticism. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

100%

Sandgaard was quoted as saying he wanted promotion in two years.  He believed in Bowyer.
    Bowyer, being realistic, has until December 2021 maximum.
    I believe he’ll go if we don’t get top 6 this season. Is Sandgaard going to believe he’ll be the man to take us up if we finish 9th or so this season, I can’t see it. 
  • Options
    It would be a massive risk on Sandgaards part if we keep going on like this. A strong case can be made against Bowyer rightly or wrongly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I know he gets bombarded with messages on Twitter, but I'd be interested to know if TS reads this forum.  I'm guessing not, but it would give him an insight into the waning support for Bowyer in recent weeks that he wouldn't get from watching games as there are no crowds 
  • Options
    I know he gets bombarded with messages on Twitter, but I'd be interested to know if TS reads this forum.  I'm guessing not, but it would give him an insight into the waning support for Bowyer in recent weeks that he wouldn't get from watching games as there are no crowds 

An opinion is that 'others' answer Sandgaard.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, it is his money and his risk. We have to be thankful for him saving the club. We can't demand he sacks Bowyer, but we can try to help him by suggesting he does.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Easy to call that squad dross now but at the time many didn't agree and wanted both Parky and later Powell sacked. In a year or two I don't think we as a fanbase we will rate this squad as highly as we do now.
  • Options
    I know he gets bombarded with messages on Twitter, but I'd be interested to know if TS reads this forum.  I'm guessing not, but it would give him an insight into the fickle support of football fans generally and at Charlton in particular 

Whilst I accept that is generally true, I don't think fans that are calling time on Bowyer are being fickle in this instance.  We've been poor for a sustained period now & the season is slipping away
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    shine166 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Another defeat for Liverpool today. 2 wins from the last 7 games, not won at home since mid-December. 

Van Dijk's injured, blah, blah, blah, Gomez is injured, blah, blah, blah. As if that's a reasonable excuse! Klopp's clearly lost it, bloke hasn't got a clue. Can't believe they've not sacked him yet and brought in Paul Jones or Danny Cowley.
    Good comparison if it wasn't for Liverpools succes over the last few years 
    Yeah I know, ridiculous comparison by me. Klopp's barely spent a penny, whereas Bowyer's had his pick of lower league free transfers and inexperienced loanees. I bet Klopp would have jumped at the chance to sign Macaulay Bonne for £100k and Deli Oshilaja on a free. And Bowyer had the advantage of Lyle Taylor refusing to play, whilst poor old Jurgen had to put up with Mo Salah expecting to start every week.

Klopp's had barely any support from Liverpool's billionaire owners whereas good old Roland couldn't get his wallet out quick enough. Really you have to say it's an absolute disgrace that Bowyer wasn't sacked straight after the play off final. 

Oh but hang on, he was sacked straight after the play-off final, and all the stupid Charlton fans complained about it because they ridiculously thought he'd worked a miracle in getting us promoted, so Roland reinstated him, so that we had to put up with him nearly keeping us up with the lowest budget in the Championship and absolute meltdown going on behind the scenes with the ownership.

Yep, you're right. You're definitely right.

If we're counting 'nearly keeping us up' as an achievement, then I'm really not sure what to say. Excuses can be made, and many are valid, about Taylor and the behind the scenes proceedings, but we also dropped a lot of points in games we should have done better from. 

As for the overachieving quote from today, god knows what has given him that impression.
  • Options
    The overachieving comment is really odd - where's the old Bowyer who had high expectations? That was something I really liked in his first spell managing at this level. He gave the players more belief, it built up their confidence and he demanded they put in 100%. It meant we always competed in games even if we didn't always have the quality or the type of players we needed.

He might think this squad isn't good enough for the top 6 but why say it? It gives the players a ready made excuse for their defensive errors and inconsistency.
  • Options
    I've given it some thought & I honestly think the 'overachieving' comment is aimed at TS.  I think Bowyer possibly knows his job is in jeopardy & this is a 'please don't sack me' plea to the owner  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!