Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 15th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Apologies if I’ve missed it said, but why was Burstow starting, are Chelsea picking our team now, it made no sense.
  • Options
    They need to put a bid in for Stockton.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Stig said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I want Albie to be a success but 6s in the ratings are madness. 

I'm not sticking it on him though, his confidence is shot and yet we've not allowed him to play with the u23s in the time he wasn't even on the bench.

TBH, I've given up on hopes of Albie being a success at Charlton. He's 22 years old and has had four seasons with the first team. I can't honestly say I've seen the development I'd have liked since he was a teenager. He's rapidly approaching the footballing golden-years of his mid-twenties, but he's still not reached a level where I'm comfortable seeing him regularly in our first team.

I think he's the sort of player who could carve out a decent career in midfield for someone like Gillingham or Colchester... and then at some point he'll come back on a visit and make us look stupid for letting him go.
    Sadly 'we' are now becoming a Glingham or Colchester in the eyes of players. Not a QPR or even Millwall. So sad. 
  • Options
    I have always been a big fan of JJs and like the guy.
    but after his summing up or the game yesterday 
    he could have been summing up every Game we have lost this season 🤔🤔🤔👎👎👎👎
    we are Shite and we keep getting beat by shite 
    At home 👎👎
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    HandG said:
    JamesSeed said:
    HandG said:
    Simonsen said:
    Clare did some good things but he's not a defender in a million years. Not great for their 2nd....he can be tighter to help with a block. Very poor for their 3rd....let matey advance and pick his spot. 

Useful squad player but I agree with Chris Perry....not a first choice defender (if you want to go up). 

Whole mess is evident in last 5 mins. Crying out for long diagonal up to Stockley and Aneke and pick up the bits. Instead we fuck about passing inside to Dobson while Aneke is hovering about outside the area. No appreciation of what was needed. Just as we finally tried it, the ref blew for full-time.

This is a very poorly coached team. 
    I didn’t go today but have just watched the highlights back and the first and third goals really show why these players don’t work in this formation.

Blackett-Taylor and Jayisiemi have both had good moments attacking at wing back but are too often  caught out of position or don’t track their man when defending. That’s because they are out and out wingers…

Clare has been very good for much of the season at centre half but, to echo Simonsen’s comments above, the way he failed to close down their attacker for their goal today along with some of his other decisions in recent weeks show that he is still a square peg in a round hole. That’s because he ain’t a defender…

I really hope Jackson gets it right next season but, if he is going to stick with this formation, he needs to have a huge clear out of this squad and that may as well include all the wingers because, as good as they may be going forward (particularly CBT), they are always going to leave gaps in behind which will lead to goals conceded.
    All wing backs are going to leave gaps sometimes, it’s the nature of the position. It’s how the team copes when that happens that’s the issue. 
    That is true but you would expect them to have the defensive instinct to stick with their runners? Or the positional sense to know when to go to a man or drop off? 
    Yes, a top quality wing back will do that, but a L1 winger who’s learning the wing back role is always going to get it wrong sometimes, which is why you’d expect his teammates to be looking out for him. And remember, Jackson plays a hybrid system which effective utilises one defensive wing back, and one attacking wingback, so there should be extra cover.

I’d hate to abandon probably our best attacking player for not tracking back (not that I noticed him not tracking back at the time). As others have said, you should be prepared to adapt the system to fit your strengths and weaknesses sometimes. 
  • Options
    Look at how much we improved once JFC and Washington came on - why didn’t they start ??

Burstow - waste of time - pack him off to Chelsea now

Pearce, in his younger days, would have Stockton in his back pocket - alas, now age is catching up on him

Dobson, very good

Stockley - has he forgotten how to jump ??

Overall, so poor to lose to Morecambe, given their position

If we had started with JFC and Washington we would have won that…..
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sorry to disappoint @mendonca but I rarely post on these threads. I haven’t for a while. I won’t say much on the game yesterday but what I will say is this, prepare yourselves…

The level of uncertainty across the whole club at the moment does not help anyone to perform. The only thing we know is Jackson has a contract until the end of next season. Great, so when we aim to bring in the calibre of player we so desperately need to get out of this league, they’re signing for a club and a manager who might not be here 12 months, or less, later. The performance related aspect of Jackson’s contract adds another dimension to this summer’s recruitment that only makes it harder. And it’s already going to be incredibly difficult as it is.

From the squad we had yesterday, 8 of those are either out of contract or on loan. The remaining 10 were MacGillivray, Harness, Clare, Dobson, Gilbey, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor, Jaiyesimi, Stockley, and Aneke. The first 7 of those are out of contract in 2023, Jaiyesimi and Stockley in 2024 and Aneke in 2025.

It means we have a huge cloud of uncertainty in the playing squad too. Those out of contract either know they’re leaving or others like Forster-Caskey and Washington are yet to receive another offer for a new deal. You also have the 7 from yesterdays squad who are out of contract in the summer of 2023. They will know a big turnover is coming, are they part of the plans? Do they get offered a new contract to extend? Are players going to come in to their position who are better than them? The club is so reactionary that we don’t plan ahead enough. Well done Sandgaard, you handed out long term contracts, but we only ever deal with the here and now, and even then that’s too late most of the time.

When you look at the squad as whole, objectively, we are in a mess and all the creates is more uncertainty. Maybe we are now digging that bit further into why we’ve had such awful discipline this season.

Whether we as supporters like it or not, all of these factors play a part in the performances and results that we see. As much as Jackson will be trying to get everyone pulling in the same direction, he’s faced with external forces pushing back from all different directions. It makes the job incredibly difficult. But on the whole, considering where we were when he took over, I think he’s done quite well.

Let’s dive in and look at the squad and where we are and where we are going…

On the back of yesterday’s programme, we had 32 players.

Three of those goalkeepers, not including Maynard-Brewer who was sat next to me yesterday. MacGillivray has a year left and been hit and miss this season. Henderson is out of contract and will leave. Harness has a year left and is young and unproven.

Eleven of those are defenders, two of which include young Barker and Elerewe. That makes it 9, not including Clare who is a midfielder playing in defence. 8 of those 9 are either out of contract or on loan. Gunter, Souaré, and Castillo are going, Famewo likely too, Pearce is past it in my opinion and we need better, Purrington and Matthews staying or leaving is anyone’s guess but I think many would prefer they leave, and then there is just Inniss, a top defender for this league when fit and not suspended, but that is the main question mark. It literally leaves Lavelle, a centre back who joined on deadline day in August and has not completed a full season of League One football in his career.

Thirteen of them are midfielders. That’s including young Tyreece Campbell who cannot be expected to be part of the first team squad. So that leaves us with twelve. Nile John has yet to play a single minute for us, Watson is retiring, Lee and Leko are on loan, Forster-Caskey has just come back from his second long term injury and is out of contract, Clare plays in defence, Morgan and Gilbey have been uninspiring for much of this season and neither score anywhere near enough from midfield, Jaiyesimi the same. It leaves us with recent signing Fraser who has had it tough since joining, POTY Dobson, and go to man Blackett-Taylor who now plays in a wing-back role, admittedly very well.

Five of those are strikers. That includes young Kanu which would be unfair to include him as first team. Burstow is going back to Chelsea but he’s shown to be not ready for this level yet either, he’ll probably go into their U23s for half a season. Aneke is a top player for this level but is much better as an impact sub. Washington is out of contract and that then leaves Stockley, a player who dictates much of how we play, albeit he does, and will continue to, score goals at this level.

Broken down, you’re now able to see the level of uncertainty spreading right across the club. The enormity of the job at hand this summer. Looking at things in isolation after an awful result against a struggling Morecambe, it’s easy to be reactionary, but doing so shows we would be no different to how the club is right now. Take a step back and understand where we are and you’ll see how much of a mess we actually are in.

I am not getting fooled by Sandgaard and the solid foundations of a good team or anything he wants to say like running a football club is common sense. I don’t believe he actually understands the size and importance of the job at hand this summer and how his actions have contributed to the level of uncertainty surrounding the club.

Thousands of supporters are feeling apathetic at a time when we’ve been through hell in our lives and are facing a financial crisis that will leave many in ruin. It’s a recipe for disaster. What makes it worse is the only way this club is successful is when everyone pulls in the same direction and even if we have external forces pushing us back, whatever they may be, when we pull together we overcome them and achieve. And so we come back to that word again, uncertainty. I am just not certain we will have everyone pulling in the same direction unless they get the next 4 months almost perfect. That is what makes thing so sad.
    And there you have it. Great analysis Sage.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I’ve seen a few other clubs fans say that Morecambe are the worst team they’ve faced this season and we got played off the park by them. Depressing as fuck.
    They were total crap for the first 15 mins. Had them on the ropes. I can’t explain the other 75.
    Much like the 75 to 80 minutes in the other games that we've supposedly "dominated in" for the remaining 10 to 15 minutes, the opposition has been better than us. It's not like this is an isolated incident, is it...

Morecombe
    Lincoln 
    Accrington

But we beat Rother-f ckin-ham, so what's everyone moaning about?

And how JJ can think we're in a good place, is mind boggling imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The answer to our problems is huge investment. The question is whether Thomas has a) the ability or b) the desire to provide it. I’m not confident. 
  • Options
    As disappointing as the result was, It might be a blessing in disguise. When you read the comments after the Rotherham win, past regular poor performances are washed aside for certain players and they are ok as squad players.  To many results like Saturday suggest not.

A bad result and less than convincing performance against a side struggling to stay up and very much in keeping with events of the season should shout to JJ & TS complete overhaul is required rather than tweaking the squad.  

Saturday was a timely reminder of what is required in the close season. 

The reality is the midfield is not good enough and the defence has to many mistakes in it.  I've lost count of the goals through individual mistakes including the keeper, posters on here have stated during the season.    
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sorry to disappoint @mendonca but I rarely post on these threads. I haven’t for a while. I won’t say much on the game yesterday but what I will say is this, prepare yourselves…

The level of uncertainty across the whole club at the moment does not help anyone to perform. The only thing we know is Jackson has a contract until the end of next season. Great, so when we aim to bring in the calibre of player we so desperately need to get out of this league, they’re signing for a club and a manager who might not be here 12 months, or less, later. The performance related aspect of Jackson’s contract adds another dimension to this summer’s recruitment that only makes it harder. And it’s already going to be incredibly difficult as it is.

From the squad we had yesterday, 8 of those are either out of contract or on loan. The remaining 10 were MacGillivray, Harness, Clare, Dobson, Gilbey, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor, Jaiyesimi, Stockley, and Aneke. The first 7 of those are out of contract in 2023, Jaiyesimi and Stockley in 2024 and Aneke in 2025.

It means we have a huge cloud of uncertainty in the playing squad too. Those out of contract either know they’re leaving or others like Forster-Caskey and Washington are yet to receive another offer for a new deal. You also have the 7 from yesterdays squad who are out of contract in the summer of 2023. They will know a big turnover is coming, are they part of the plans? Do they get offered a new contract to extend? Are players going to come in to their position who are better than them? The club is so reactionary that we don’t plan ahead enough. Well done Sandgaard, you handed out long term contracts, but we only ever deal with the here and now, and even then that’s too late most of the time.

When you look at the squad as whole, objectively, we are in a mess and all the creates is more uncertainty. Maybe we are now digging that bit further into why we’ve had such awful discipline this season.

Whether we as supporters like it or not, all of these factors play a part in the performances and results that we see. As much as Jackson will be trying to get everyone pulling in the same direction, he’s faced with external forces pushing back from all different directions. It makes the job incredibly difficult. But on the whole, considering where we were when he took over, I think he’s done quite well.

Three of those goalkeepers, not including Maynard-Brewer who was sat next to me yesterday. MacGillivray has a year left and been hit and miss this season. Henderson is out of contract and will leave. Harness has a year left and is young and unproven.

Eleven of those are defenders, two of which include young Barker and Elerewe. That makes it 9, not including Clare who is a midfielder playing in defence. 8 of those 9 are either out of contract or on loan. Gunter, Souaré, and Castillo are going, Famewo likely too, Pearce is past it in my opinion and we need better, Purrington and Matthews staying or leaving is anyone’s guess but I think many would prefer they leave, and then there is just Inniss, a top defender for this league when fit and not suspended, but that is the main question mark. It literally leaves Lavelle, a centre back who joined on deadline day in August and has not completed a full season of League One football in his career.

Thirteen of them are midfielders. That’s including young Tyreece Campbell who cannot be expected to be part of the first team squad. So that leaves us with twelve. Nile John has yet to play a single minute for us, Watson is retiring, Lee and Leko are on loan, Forster-Caskey has just come back from his second long term injury and is out of contract, Clare plays in defence, Morgan and Gilbey have been uninspiring for much of this season and neither score anywhere near enough from midfield, Jaiyesimi the same. It leaves us with recent signing Fraser who has had it tough since joining, POTY Dobson, and go to man Blackett-Taylor who now plays in a wing-back role, admittedly very well.

Five of those are strikers. That includes young Kanu which would be unfair to include him as first team. Burstow is going back to Chelsea but he’s shown to be not ready for this level yet either, he’ll probably go into their U23s for half a season. Aneke is a top player for this level but is much better as an impact sub. Washington is out of contract and that then leaves Stockley, a player who dictates much of how we play, albeit he does, and will continue to, score goals at this level.

Broken down, you’re now able to see the level of uncertainty spreading right across the club. The enormity of the job at hand this summer. Looking at things in isolation after an awful result against a struggling Morecambe, it’s easy to be reactionary, but doing so shows we would be no different to how the club is right now. Take a step back and understand where we are and you’ll see how much of a mess we actually are in.

I am not getting fooled by Sandgaard and the solid foundations of a good team or anything he wants to say like running a football club is common sense. I don’t believe he actually understands the size and importance of the job at hand this summer and how his actions have contributed to the level of uncertainty surrounding the club.

Thousands of supporters are feeling apathetic at a time when we’ve been through hell in our lives and are facing a financial crisis that will leave many in ruin. It’s a recipe for disaster. What makes it worse is the only way this club is successful is when everyone pulls in the same direction and even if we have external forces pushing us back, whatever they may be, when we pull together we overcome them and achieve. And so we come back to that word again, uncertainty. I am just not certain we will have everyone pulling in the same direction unless they get the next 4 months almost perfect. That is what makes thing so sad.
    Cheers for that @Sage - Interesting that you sat next to Ashley yesterday

How is he doing with his injury, does he expect to play for Ross County again this season, if you can say?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Sage said:

Cheers for that @Sage - Interesting that you sat next to Ashley yesterday

How is he doing with his injury, does he expect to play for Ross County again this season, if you can say?
    Still out with a broken nose. Was at the home game against Lincoln as well. Didn’t ask about Ross County but with being down south for a little bit I would anticipate/guess that the season is likely to be over for him.
  • Options
    Like others have said, why on earth are playing CBT at LWB!? He's absolutely mustard and should just be given license to attack 
  • Options
    I like our commentators but I though Terry was out of order saying MacGillivary could have come for the second. The defence should have dealt with it but it was too far from goal. MacGillivary made an error for their third, but he is not a problem in my eyes. Happy to have him next season.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Like others have said, why on earth are playing CBT at LWB!? He's absolutely mustard and should just be given license to attack 
    He is being given license to attack. He was our second most attacking player by average position yesterday, only slightly behind Mason Burstow.

It was the same against Lincoln and Burton at home, as well as Doncaster away where he was behind only Washington in all three matches. Against Rotherham he was behind the two strikers and Albie Morgan, in the same terms.

The persisting myth that he’s not allowed to get forward as much as possible because our formation is 3-5-2 just doesn’t hold up.
  • Options
    Excellent analysis Sage. 32 players is a ridiculous number for a league 1 club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is being given license to attack. He was our second most attacking player by average position yesterday, only slightly behind Mason Burstow.

It was the same against Lincoln and Burton at home, as well as Doncaster away where he was behind only Washington in all three matches. Against Rotherham he was behind the two strikers and Albie Morgan, in the same terms.

The persisting myth that he’s not allowed to get forward as much as possible because our formation is 3-5-2 just doesn’t hold up.
    All the makings of a good wingback.
  • Options

Agreed, but that's not really the point. The issue is that he's not up to the defensive aspects of a wing back role.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Shite show in general yesterday and we got nothing, which we just about deserved...again,.. but one point regarding Mac, he is getting some serious grief regarding "that" throw, he was quick thinking in trying to get an attack started and, Matthews was just being a lazy sod, ball watching and should take all the flak, waiting for the ball rather than going to meet it, result the oppo guy waltzes up and say's cheers for the offer, result obvious,.. just my opinion...but true.. B)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Doing better than 16/17, not far behind 10/11.

• Options

• Options
    Is that the guy who uses text tickers to decide XG or is he legit?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Same thing week in week out recently. 6 goals in the last 5 games but the expected goals would have us at around 10 or 11. We are not anywhere near ruthless enough which puts more pressure on the defence, which is poor as it is. 
  • Options
    Watching Wigan v Cambridge, nice game with a first goal that looked like one we concede on a weekly basis and a 2nd goal we can only dream about.  My take away is that teams in this league can beat each other and all of them can beat us.