Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    lolwray said:
    AshBurton said:
    As chair at Old Colfeians, I put together an occasional nostalgia piece for our Past Players newsletter. While researching what happened in April/May ten years ago, I just stumbled across @lolwray ‘s stellar bowling figures in a Sunday friendly vs Catford & Cyphers: 5-1-17-4. Well bowled that man! He did, however, fail to trouble the scorers in both of his early season innings against OCs in 2014. 
    You won't be surprised to hear I don't remember both the innings but it's nice to be reminded of the bowling ..Thankyou. I seem to remember it was a murky spring afternoon. Always a pleasure playing against Old Colfeians..I also remember bowling at the middle of a young Caswalls bat many years ago at Horn Park.( late 70s) .if you can find that scorecard I'd be very impressed .
    Oh yes, young Mr Caswall. A very good player and absolute master of taking a single off the last ball of an over. I watched in admiration from the other end as he scored 1,300 runs at 103 in his last year at school. He didn’t like facing first though, so I generally received at least 6 balls while batting with him. 
  • Options
    The skipper of Catford Cyphers in this particular game did the right thing in taking off one of the opening bowlers and bring himself on - no doubt in order to ensure that the other opening bowler had to spend all night buying jugs for taking a 10 fer! Fortunately, I wasn't playing for Sidcup in this game but did play with all of them including, of course, with Brian Smith.

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/304560  
    Likewise always a pleasure playing against Sidcup..I think Brian Smith and Roger Shaddock considered me a walking wicket but I have taken my fair share of Sidcup wickets over the years, always enjoyed playing against the likes of Jim Waterhouse and Hugh beresford - Webb 
  • Options
    It looks like Tom Davies, recently playing for Warks 2s, has left Canterbury and gone back to Lordswood.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    It looks like Tom Davies, recently playing for Warks 2s, has left Canterbury and gone back to Lordswood.
    That's interesting although he was on the Canterbury team sheet on Instagram for today's game (no score up as yet) and didn't play for Lordswood. They have Thando Ntini back and rumour has it that Adeel Hussain returning too. Those three playing would be a very potent seam attack.  
  • Options
    Our 3s played a bit of a silly game. Got their oppo 89 all out and were dismissed for 40 on the frankly homicidal second deck at Bexley Park, where batting second means any half quick bowler could potentially face a tribunal for committing war crimes
  • Options
    Bickley 1s played Bromley Common in a friendly. Bickley batted first and rattled up 288-9 with all of their top seven getting runs (highest score 52). In reply BC were 177 with the wickets shared with all bar their overseas and two keepers getting a bowl. Which sets them up nicely for the trip next week to St Lawrence & HC who have, of course, Darren Stevens in their ranks plus the NSW and Sydney Thunder player, Jason Sangha. 
  • Options
    https://midessexcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/6342973

Look at H Pearson’s wicket for Little Baddow eventually given out apparently for Obstructing the field , correct decision I believe 
  • Options
    https://midessexcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/6342973

Look at H Pearson’s wicket for Little Baddow eventually given out apparently for Obstructing the field , correct decision I believe 
    Well he has kicked the ball so probably yes. The fact that he hasn't protested his innocence at any point perhaps also serves to confirm his guilt. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Our 3s played a bit of a silly game. Got their oppo 89 all out and were dismissed for 40 on the frankly homicidal second deck at Bexley Park, where batting second means any half quick bowler could potentially face a tribunal for committing war crimes
    Didnt know they were still using that pitch. The ridge on a length is interesting it can take your teeth out or break your toes from exactly the same ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Didnt know they were still using that pitch. The ridge on a length is interesting it can take your teeth out or break your toes from exactly the same ball.
    My son was playing for Blackheath on the other pitch. There was some debate to play  given the state of the pitch (it hadn’t been covered). BH got put in and all batters struggled; inching their way to 112.  Bexley Park 1s were then rolled for 44 with the spinners practically unplayable.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    My son was playing for Blackheath on the other pitch. There was some debate to play  given the state of the pitch (it hadn’t been covered). BH got put in and all batters struggled; inching their way to 112.  Bexley Park 1s were then rolled for 44 with the spinners practically unplayable.
    I once managed a junior game on Pitch 1 when we ended up having to bowl from one end because the batsmen and keeper couldn't pick up the ball due to the low sun behind the bowler's arm!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    That's interesting although he was on the Canterbury team sheet on Instagram for today's game (no score up as yet) and didn't play for Lordswood. They have Thando Ntini back and rumour has it that Adeel Hussain returning too. Those three playing would be a very potent seam attack.  
    Despite Canterbury's Instagram posting of their team, his absence was the one change to the side that actually played. Lordswood have now confirmed on Instagram that he is returning to them which is a big blow to Canterbury given his contribution last season with both ball and bat.  
  • Options
    And Tanni is playing for Gravesend this season....
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Pedro45 said:
    And Tanni is playing for Gravesend this season....
    .......and was the shortest retirement known to man! That was the rumour prior to last season but he stayed at Blackheath for another season and the same prior to this season. The urge to play was clearly too much. 
  • Options
    Bickley Park 1s have a relatively tough start to the season on their return to the PL - away to St Lawrence & HC to face the likes of Steveo and Jason Sangha of NSW and Sydney Thunder fame. One coincidence is that Bickley's overseas this season plays at the same club as Sangha. Hope there won't be any of that nasty sledging!  
  • Options
    I'm standing at Blackheath on Saturday for their KCL Premier opener against Minster. Blackheath won their national cup game last weekend easily by ten wickets, while Minster's game was a conceded victory. Could be a close game...
  • Options
    BH putting out a reasonable side on Sat, bolstered by their new Aussie and new ‘keeper.
  • Options
    Friendly against Herstmonceux for me ! 
  • Options
    My mates and I are playing several years-long games of club cricket bingo. This includes score bingo (one guy has scored every score from 1-100 except 18, I think), but most importantly, club name bingo. I'd love to fill the card.

So - if anyone has friendly fixtures against teams whose names start with the letters I, J, Q, T, U, V, X, Y, or Z, can you let me know if there's a space in your team for a slow spinner who "is actually quite good considering the state of him" please? Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    My mates and I are playing several years-long games of club cricket bingo. This includes score bingo (one guy has scored every score from 1-100 except 18, I think), but most importantly, club name bingo. I'd love to fill the card.

So - if anyone has friendly fixtures against teams whose names start with the letters I, J, Q, T, U, V, X, Y, or Z, can you let me know if there's a space in your team for a slow spinner who "is actually quite good considering the state of him" please? Cheers
    Does ex-blues count? Surely you can get a game against T Wells, Tonbridge, or Three Bridges?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Does ex-blues count? Surely you can get a game against T Wells, Tonbridge, or Three Bridges?
    Tenterden ?

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

https://ighthamcc.play-cricket.com/home
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

https://upchurch.play-cricket.com/home
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

https://yalding.play-cricket.com/home
  • Options
    First (played) league game of the season for our seconds today away at Boreham Royals CC 
    my expected weight loss never happened , I’ve replaced chocolate with cakes and crisps = still a cat funt 
    knee that was improving has deteriorated cos I’m lazy and not done enough physio and work on it recently, getting all my excuses in early 

Sunday friendly team is short and I may have to do back to backs ffs cos boffin is looking at TikTok on his phone all daystudying for his A levels , prick 

good luck to all those playing , umpiring , scoring and watching today 

get your sun lotion out 

• Options
    First (played) league game of the season for our seconds today away at Boreham Royals CC 
    my expected weight loss never happened , I’ve replaced chocolate with cakes and crisps = still a cat funt 
    knee that was improving has deteriorated cos I’m lazy and not done enough physio and work on it recently, getting all my excuses in early 

Sunday friendly team is short and I may have to do back to backs ffs cos boffin is looking at TikTok on his phone all daystudying for his A levels , prick 

get your sun lotion out 

You're SUCH a hero, morts ! 

Overweight .  

On one leg.

Knackered before you start. 

And a giant multipack of Walkers' finest in one hand. 

A martyr to the cause.  :D
  • Options

get your sun lotion out 

Overweight .  

On one leg.

And would still get in Kent’s opening 5 batsmen…
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

get your sun lotion out 

Overweight .  

On one leg.

And would still get in Kent’s opening 5 batsmen…
    Given Compton and Crawley today yes
  • Options
    I'm never fucking umpiring again. Not with teammates like these