Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Hamer

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Talking terms with the reading goalkeeper.

Comments

• Why do we need another keeper? Sullivan good enough for 1st choice! Ridiculous, we need another CB and striker!
  • Why do we need another keeper? Sullivan good enough for 1st choice! Ridiculous, we need another CB and striker!

Because I suspect Elliot has rejected the contract offered to him and is going to be sold.
  • If he's better than the others -- and his record suggests he might be -- I'd sign him in a flash.  An improvement in the GK position pays off like no other.

we need the best we can get in all positions, if Hamer has just become available at the right price then CP is quite right in going for him. Elliott has not looked fit for the past year and Sullivan is just OK. To state the obvious, the defence must have faith in the keeper otherwise everything goes to pot.
  • Would be a very good signing imo better than both Elliot and Sullivan .
  • Did he play against us for Exeter? If so, Taylor probably knows all about him.
  • Did he play against us for Exeter? If so, Taylor probably knows all about him.

Yes Clem. When they beat us at The Valley.
    yeah. I thought he looked quite solid that day. But that's the only time i've seen him play so i won't give it the big un.
  • Supposedly Elliot was waving upset at the game yesterday so last game for the Addicks and to be sold?
  • Sponsored links:

• Supposedly Elliot was waving upset at the game yesterday so last game for the Addicks and to be sold?
    Funnily enough I did notice him linger and wave a bit dramatically to us but thought nothing of it as he's usually fairly interactive with the fans.
    Funnily enough I did notice him linger and wave a bit dramatically to us but thought nothing of it as he's usually fairly interactive with the fans.

If he is going, and if he is it hasn't come about today, the decision to play him yesterday was bonkers.
  • When it's on the OS and all that but seemed a very good keeper while at Exeter.

If he's better than Robbie and Sullivan then good.  If we can get some money for Elliot than sad as I'd be for him personally then that's good too.   And maybe good for Robbie to have a fresh start too.

Where is this all coming from anyway?  Twitter no doubt but who on twitter?
  • edited July 2011
    Talks with Hamer is reported on the O/S Henry
  • Talks with Hamer is reported on the O/S Henry
    OK, I will believe it the : - )   but Francis was in talks with Bournemouth so not a done deal.

If only CL had money to sponsor one more player's shirt : - )
  • This makes most of the 95 comments on the "Who Should Be No. 1" thread redundant! This has come out of the blue to me and I suspect everyone else on CL.
  • This makes most of the 95 comments on the "Who Should Be No. 1" thread redundant! This has come out of the blue to me and I suspect everyone else on CL.

Those of us in the clique have of course known for a while.
  • Good keeper, would of liked him to have signed for us. He has plenty of confidence but like all keepers will makes the odd mistake. Oddly I thought he played much better away from home than at home last year.

• Henry, as a fan of Robbie, do you not think that playing for his boyhood club and all that is maybe a hinderance to him?

Maybe playing for a club that he has no emotional ties with might help him in his career?
  • Henry, as a fan of Robbie, do you not think that playing for his boyhood club and all that is maybe a hinderance to him?

Maybe playing for a club that he has no emotional ties with might help him in his career?

I don't think that explains his lack of fitness, the things he's good - at shot stopping and crosses, he's very good at, but needs to learn to command hia area better and being beaten from distance happens a tad too often for my liking. That suggests a lack of mobility and positioning and anticipation need to be worked on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, yeah he has his faults (as most do, esp at this level). But i was just wondering if he'd be a bit more relaxed, which in turn might help concentration if he wasn't at a club he has emotion feelings towards. Trying to hard and petrefied of making a mistake.
  • Well, yeah he has his faults (as most do, esp at this level). But i was just wondering if he'd be a bit more relaxed, which in turn might help concentration if he wasn't at a club he has emotion feelings towards. Trying to hard and petrefied of making a mistake.
    Would've thought he'd be more relaxed playing for us than new club, surely more pressure when you move?
  • edited July 2011
    Henry, as a fan of Robbie, do you not think that playing for his boyhood club and all that is maybe a hinderance to him?

I don't think that explains his lack of fitness, the things he's good - at shot stopping and crosses, he's very good at, but needs to learn to command hia area better and being beaten from distance happens a tad too often for my liking. That suggests a lack of mobility and positioning and anticipation need to be worked on.
    I don't think that Ellliott has been fully fit since the middle of the season before last .. according to his Wiki entry Newcastle may be interested in paying over £500,000 for him .. is CP aware of this (lmss)

Perhaps. For some players it would be a help and others a hindrance. 

I don't want to start another "robbie is good/no he's not" debate as we've had enough of those already but I think a fresh start would be good for him.  He clearly divides opinion and as a Charlton fan himself the negative responses he gets from some other Addicks must be harder to take than if he was a fan of another club.

• Haha trusty wiki.

How much do people think Eliott is worth, £100k,£150k?

• Well, if Newcastle paid £500k for him, that would go a small way into pardew repaying his debt to us. Wonder if he'll give us £7m for this great RB we've got? :-D
  • Well, if Newcastle paid £500k for him, that would go a small way into pardew repaying his debt to us. Wonder if he'll give us £7m for this great RB we've got? :-D
    I suspect the Wiki entry is either a wishful thinking entry by RB's agent or a Millwall or Sunderland fan having a laugh. 
  • Another goal keeper then a right back and forward then we are sorted.
  • Another goal keeper then a right back and forward then we are sorted.
    what about central defence?
  • Didn't see this coming!!!