Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Extremely poor - but what we've come to expect in the cups. The only positives I was able to take were an assured debut from Button, some game time for Taylor ( who will now start next week ), Azeez's debut ( a big lad, isn't he and presumably still growing ) and a good performance from Stephens.

Poor old Cook looked totally out of his depth - just like at Forest - and Yann and BWP were extremely poor - even in the context off a game of hoofball. I am afraid that they are not good enough.

We clearly didn't take it all very seriously, although it was surely right of Chris to play Button and Taylor and hard, in truth, to argue against giving Jackson, Fuller and Solly a rest. A little surprised that Cook got a game ahead of Green and Waggy unless one or both of them are on their way this month.

At least my Huddersfield Town mate was happy - albeit concerned by ( a )their complete inability to pass the ball in the second half and take advantage of the extra man and ( b ) the extraordinary number of free kicks they conceded around the box.

All washed down with a freezing and mildly unpleasant pint of Murphy's in Bartrams. Not one for the memories.
  • Options
    Well that goes down as the worst game of football I have seen this season. Watching the Huddersfield fan fall A over T when they scored and the half time coffee were the highlights for me.
  • Options
    Awful from start to finish, void of ideas, tactically inept. God help us if we ever have cook and kerkar on the pitch at the same time again. We really do need some creativity brought in.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    fair enough slag the team off for being pony as they were. personally i'm more embarrassed we took more to an away game last year at exactly the same stage more than the result. bit of a reversal to the usual home/away rows.
  • Options

fair enough slag the team off for being pony as they were. personally i'm more embarrassed we took more to an away game last year at exactly the same stage more than the result. bit of a reversal to the usual home/away rows.

yeah but.... Millwalls attendance today was equivalent to their extra support that came out just to see us at the 'den', 100% of Millwalls regular support therefore stayed away!

• Options
    seth plum said:

yeah but.... Millwalls attendance today was equivalent to their extra support that came out just to see us at the 'den', 100% of Millwalls regular support therefore stayed away!

ha ha ha you are right. i forgot millwall's attendance has everything to do with us.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Absolute tosh. Another Valley Saturday letdown. Can only remember one deflected shot saved by Smithies. Only positives for me were Button's performance and Azeez getting on. Don't know if Stephen's was being scouted today, he played like he was. Woeful attendance as usual for this type of game. Managed to get five newbies to go. I am now in hiding in case I take one.
  • Options
    I was all set to come to this but, just as I was leaving, got a call from one of my daughters to sort something out urgently.

Glad I didn't bother now from reading this thread. How did Azeez do?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I was all set to come to this but, just as I was leaving, got a call from one of my daughters to sort something out urgently.

Glad I didn't bother now from reading this thread. How did Azeez do?

Wasn't on long enough to really assess. Couple of nice touches but gave a bad simple pass in their half which put us on the back foot and got out muscled in the air. Would liked to have seen more of him.
  • Options
    Well what can I say, Chris Powell showed a total disregard for the competition and Charlton fans today, I can't afford to spunk £20 and the put that team out was taking the piss.I was right in line for their goal Dervite let's Beckford run past him, then looks over his shoulder at him three times and still doesn't bother to get goal side. The error that led to his sending off ie air kick, was the same that led to Watford's third, let's not forget he gave away the penalty at Watford. He doesn't know how to get goal side , basically he is shit. People slagging BWP off make a point of just watching him, off the ball,he worked his bollocks off again got no decent service and gets subbed,after last season I think he has been treated shoddingly and was a darn site better than kermo today.Stephens was my MOM for us and those,eagerly awaiting his transfer to Villa want to ask themselves where the creativity will come from if he goes.he was very good against Watford and again today.Other plus points Evina got another 90 mins and improves with everygame, Button looks very impressive and can't understand the moaning about his kicking.Lastly Azeez looks like he will be a right handful. But to summarise Huddersfield fielded a full strength team, Powelly took the piss, was only ever going to be one winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am fed up with being understanding about putting out a second string team for cup games, I don't want excuses and platitudes, I don't want to be reasonable, I just want to see a decent cup run for once.
  • Options
    I don't care about a cup run, I just expect whatever team we put out to look like they want to win
  • Options
    Rubbish game. Not going to bother taking friends who I often bring to cup games again, just makes my team look shite.
  • Options
    Wot a difference a year makes over 7000 went away to the cottage more than at home today even after our loss thought we gave it a go and went home still buzzing! This year well just feel robbed of my time and cash and the WHOLE club should be ashamed of today and if ANY of the staff have any morals they should not be picking up their wages this week?
  • Options
    Glad that Stephens performance is being acknowledged-sitting in the East gives you a much better perspective on things and he was very good today particularly in the first half. Shame he rarely had an outlet of any note.

That was one of few positives (BWP and Pritchard also did okay) though and other than that, it was hoof it to Kermo. A shame because Huddersfield looked average and, even playing poorly, we were the better side after Dervite got sent off.

In the great scheme of things, I don't really care though and I'm surprised so many of you get so rattled-we've been rubbish in the cup for 50 years and today was not a huge shock.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Glad that Stephens performance is being acknowledged-sitting in the East gives you a much better perspective on things and he was very good today particularly in the first half. Shame he rarely had an outlet of any note.

That was one of few positives (BWP and Pritchard also did okay) though and other than that, it was hoof it to Kermo. A shame because Huddersfield looked average and, even playing poorly, we were the better side after Dervite got sent off.

In the great scheme of things, I don't really care though and I'm surprised so many of you get so rattled-we've been rubbish in the cup for 50 years and today was not a huge shock.

Time to get the popcorn me thinks :-)
  • Options
    I sat in the West stand today near some morons who spent the entire game slagging Stephens off who I felt was our best player today. He did a lot right today and seems to be getting stuck in a lot more - I hope he stays.
  • Options
    Just saw this on the BBC website:

Charlton manager Chris Powell: "To say I'm frustrated is the understatement of the year. I'm not enamoured with what happened today.

"I know we went down to 10 men but we went out with a whimper.

"It was a poor goal for us to concede and it gave us a mountain to climb. I'm not happy with the way it has panned out."
  • Options
    worst game of football i've been to in a long time. can't remember any decent chances for either team, didn't think either looked like scoring, ever. Having said that, they were better than us, and showed more desire, so no complaints with the loss. having said that, have you ever seen such a moany bunch of footballers? especially big physical ones like that, gerrard never bloody shut up he moaned about EVERYthing
  • Options
    I sat near the away bench and Grayson went absolutely mental when Pritchard got booked. Didn't look that bad from where I was. They were a bunch of moaners, Beckford and Vaughan didn't shut up either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    took my non football supporting mate along, think that'll be his last... stinker of a game . Huddersfield moany as fook, and us inept for the full 90 minutes. Every player very poor. BWP plays and we decide to hoof it up to him vs physical players, my nan could conjur up better tactics than that.

Ah well, league it is....
  • Options
    Pelham123 said:

Woeful attendance as usual for this type of game.

what type of game ? - you mean our usual enept performance on 3rd round day when playing a non-Premiership side ?? Par for teh course and why so many regulars decided to give it a miss.

putting aside how dull & lifeless we were, I was interested to see how some of the fringe players performed; Kerkar might as well go back to Rangers as the Scottish 3rd division is about his level. Cook has not impressed me at all this season & he had 90 mins to show what he is made of............well, he showed it is mainly soft cheese and powder as he contributed very little - crossing was poor and didn't do much else. Kermy is starting to show that perhaps last season was a one-off or that League One is his level - he maybe brave and jump around a lot but his first touch is usually a lay off to someone else and doesn't want to shoot at all. BWP tried hard & chased down defenders but nothing really fell for him. Button ok and a handy back-up to Hamer. Taylor looked a bit ring rusty, which is only to be expected seeing as this was his first start since August, but he was still dependable as always. I won't knock Azeez as I've been waiting to see what the future may look like, but I don't think he won a ball in the air, but looks like he has some pace

As mentioned earlier, I just hope we don't have to rely on Kerkar & Cook for the rest of the season and we really need 3 or 4 quality players in soon.

• Options
    Poor performance, but given the team we put out, our inability to get going in front of a sparse crowd, not to mention our previous crap cup record, hardly surprising. The fact tht we rested the likes of hamer, solly, fuller, morrison and jackson, only bringing on the latter 2 due to the dervite sending off and the total ineffectiveness of cook, shows where cp's priorities lie, which i find somewhat disappointing given our reasonably comfortable league position. I should have known better however.
  • Options
    Why bother to go when CP picks a shit team. Solly not in squad, read anything in to that?

Thought the team were poor but Dervite & Taylor were terrible, hope we do not see them as a partnership again or we will be in big trouble.
  • Options
    Of no relevance whatsoever but the two coachloads of Stoke fans in the Porcupine in Mottingham certainly had a good time.
  • Options
    I've just seen the attendence............less than 7,000 !!!!

no wonder there was no noise or atmosphere
  • Options
    Did they get lost?
  • Options
    Luton had a bigger crowd than Us, Millwall & QPR.
  • Options
    No need for any tactical analysis today. The game was won and lost before the kick off, when Grayson picked his first team and CP picked a reserve team.

If we're not gonna take this competition seriously, any chance of letting us know beforehand. Perhaps the fixture can be asterisked in the programme as a Charlton XI, as we do for pre-season friendlies.

A real shame, because the FA Cup used to be the greatest competition in the world. It may as well be played midweek now, as a lot of clubs treat it no more highly than the Johnson's Paint.
  • Options
    About as poor a game as you will ever see. Not one chance from open play for Charlton. Dervite is hopeless without Cort next to him. Cook probably played himself out of contention too. Mister Powell...learn a lesson; you cannot play two light-weight wingers in a 4-4-2...at least one them has to be able to put a foot in. Up there with the most boring games of all time.

PS: What has happened to our pitch? It's gone so far downhill in a few years. Watford's used to be atrocious but looks like Wembley in comparison. Might have something to do with our shite home form.