Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    johnny73 said:

johnny73 said:

I reckon a lot more than 10,000 regulars were missing from this one. A number of posters in this thread (me included) are not regulars and went to the game with family / friends who wouldn't normally go. The regulars had the good sense to stay away from it.

Kind of a chicken and egg situation - do clubs not take the comp seriously because only 6,000 fans turn up? Or do no fans turn up cos the club and manager doesnt take the comp serioisly?

I think if only a few of us turn up, which has happened for last few years, (bar fulham) it gives the impression we don't care and that its okay for the manager to play a second rate team and not take the comp seriously. Unfair on the ones that bother the show.
    You're right. It's a bit of both. I'm not going to be hypercritical like others either. Powell kept our fringe players match fitness up, would have learned at lot more about the squad depth (we have none) and for those players worth keeping would have technical feedback to give. Losing didn't cost us any league points and sends a message to the board about the lack of squad depth. (Not necessarily a message about signing new players but a message of don't sell the good ones we already have).

At the same time I understand the frustration of such an apathetic day. I took my 15 year old daughter (making her a third generation attendee) hoping I could convince her not only to support charlton but also like football in general. Perversely she had a good time.

Cafc put a lot into the football for a fiver days to expand their supporter base but don't realize that fringe fans are also likely to go to a game like yesterday (reduced attendance fees - sit anywhere etc). They should be looking to make these kind of games an event instead of treating it as a training exercise.
    Excellent post, johnny73

• Options
    Cup match at home, knew it would be bad but that was worst than I was expecting. Utter terrible showing from everyone in red.
    Only positives were the keeper played okay and Azeez made his debut. That was it for me. I don't like slating are players but I felt we looked better with 10 men than 11 because Cook wasn't on the pitch at this point. We've been poor at home this year why didn't we try and restore confidence in everyone with a good showing yesterday. Powell is the right man but that was dire yesterday. Utter crap
  • Options
    Spot on johnny but I've a feeling its going to fall on deaf ears?
  • Options
    Hudds at home to Leicester in the next round. Leicester will be happy with that after putting six past them last week.
  • Options

Is 'cup-tied' going to be the new buzzword for this January window? There is no chance in hell that Chris Powell would drop a player he wanted out on the pitch due to a possible bid from another team. He just wouldn't do it. Solly was rested because he plays every league match, and his back-up is generally at right midfield and so there's not a lot of scope for cover if he gets injured.

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounded like an utterly dire performance. Powell will not have sent out a team that he didn't think could compete so some of the players who played yesterday will have to have a look at themselves. Cook is young and hasn't played much so he'll probably be given more time but it could be the end of tha road for some others. Maybe early to call time on BWP - sounded like he was superb against Derby when it mattered more

Of course if an offer is on the table and the club are keen on it but it would reduce if the player was cup tied CP would rest the player. I agree he would not do it if it were specualtive. That said, I am not sure that Solly was being held back due to a bid or that as you have said he's played a lot of football.
  • Options
    Would have drawn Leicester at home . No big loss I suppose.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Millwall home to Villa
    Palace home to Man City if they beat Stoke
    Brighton home to Swansea or Arsenal
    Southend or Brentford home to Chelsea

All attractive ties, and good for the bank balance...
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Cafc put a lot into the football for a fiver days to expand their supporter base but don't realize that fringe fans are also likely to go to a game like yesterday (reduced attendance fees - sit anywhere etc). They should be looking to make these kind of games an event instead of treating it as a training exercise.

This does sound like a sensible comment. Wonder what Airman thinks about it?

Cup rules, timings and the revenue split leave the club with very limited room for manoeuvre in terms of ticket offers. The club could only have reduced adult tickets to £10, although it could have offered £1 tickets for kids and perhaps £5 for concessions. I doubt if it would have made much difference in terms of net revenue, it may have done something for the atmosphere, but bear in mind that experience suggests that new supporters tend to be quiet anyway. On balance they probably got the pricing wrong, but it's not clear cut. It was a weak draw in a busy spell of home matches.

I take the point that there are other things that could be done, such as pre-match entertainment or kids' activities, but I'm sceptical the first Saturday in January is the right time to be doing that. There will usually be cost attached and as the club only gets 45 per cent (I think) of the value of the ticket after VAT - that's £5.63 of a £15 ticket - it is already struggling to cover costs on the game.

When we have done Football for a Fiver the plans have been laid early and the marketing preparation done before it is announced. Even with the third round of the FA Cup, you only get a month's notice with Christmas included. You'd never recoup the marketing costs of Football for a Fiver, especially given the £10 minimum price and revenue split.

I'm afraid there is a spiral of decline which starts with the decision - over a number of years and not just at Charlton - not to put out the best team, although Chris Powell is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If Solly had played and been sent off or injured he'd be blamed for that too. But I agree yesterday was unremittingly awful and I think if we have a similar fixture next year the attendance will be even smaller.

One point to bear in mind, however, is that yesterday's crowd will be much more accurate than usual, because there are very limited comps allowed and no absent season ticket holders. To that extent the disparity with the league average is not as big as it appears.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Airman.
  • Options
    Another championship club at home . So the route to wembley would have not been that hard .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cookz10
    Apologies for that performance yesterday. Wasn't upto scratch quality wise
  • Options
    Next year could always seek solace in following double;
    1) Peanuts choice for the Welsh National plus
    2) Whoever Charlton play in the third round.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    WSS said:

@cookz10
    Apologies for that performance yesterday. Wasn't upto scratch quality wise

Nice one Cookie: how about you and your team mates paying for a free beer / bovril for all those producing a ticket stub from yesterday's game at the kiosks on Saturday v Blackpool as an even nicer gesture?

I don't do Twatter, perhaps someone could forward this on my behalf.
  • Options
    Fair play to the lad ... He's young and still learning
  • Options
    One day a Charlton manager will take the FA cup seriously.THis was a good opportunity to progress squandered.I thought we might have turned the corner at Watford but even with a few changes this was a pathetic performance.Dervite deserved everything he got and should have a club fine slapped on him in addition.Only Button justified his selection,if we are going to survive in this division we are going to need some new players starting with a striker with some ideas and a holding midfielder.Again poor tactics and substitutions let us all down
  • Options

We are just not a team at home are we? there is no cohesion between the midfield and forwards. Stephens plays far too deep and never looks for a probing through ball. With Solly out we not only weakened the defence, but also lost any attacking threat down the right. We seem to get out passed and out fought by every team. It must be a nightmare playing up front. We seriously need to start keeping it on the deck and start pushing forward as a unit rather than long punts all the time. Whatever happened to the attractive passing football that we were playing when Paul Hayes was up front? I'd much rather see Waggy and Green than Cook and Kerkar. Really getting sick to the back teeth of seeing our players sent off and penalties against us every game.

I have been saying this since he was dropped. We become lazy, and and one dimensional when Yann plays.

Not Yanns fault. He can play in the floor. But our midfield and defense take the easy option and punt it to him!
  • Options

"Disappointed for the fans, but we were always in it but just couldn't snatch an equaliser."

I'm really glad we didnt snatch an equaliser.

• Options

I sat in the West stand today near some morons who spent the entire game slagging Stephens off who I felt was our best player today. He did a lot right today and seems to be getting stuck in a lot more - I hope he stays.

• Options
    wasn't going to go but did. was like a crap reserve game and i knew it would be - they always are these days. total and utter crap. sad the way we treat the fa cup. pissing league this, league that - we're always concentrating on getting promoted, not getting relegated, building for this or that. huddersfield were full strength, why weren't we? count me out of cup games from now on until i see a change in approach to them.
  • Options
    I wasn't at the game as I had a long-standing family committment but you were probably in my seat because that sounds like the moron who sits next me!
    Describe please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Felt when they scored the lads in red let themselves get a little too frustrated and that is cost us.
  • Options
    next season maybe the club will put a team out but I think they were right not to so this time - and it was flagged well in advance...
    CAFC must move up in the league over the next 12-18 months in order to attract fans, players and maybe new finance...
    one bad run and we are scrapping with the bottom clubs (again) one good run and we are edging towards the play offs... key players like Solly, Hamer and the forwards MAY be in the shop window but it's just as likely that they are wrapped up in cotton wool ready for next Saturday...
    Of course if we fail to win on a Saturday (again!) with all these players rested then that will add to the anxiety...
  • Options
    thing is, come next year there will be something else we are prioritising. i understand it so i guess the best thing is that i just won't bother in future.
  • Options

thing is, come next year there will be something else we are prioritising. i understand it so i guess the best thing is that i just won't bother in future.

Same here.

You're either prioritising promotion or staying up. Seemed to me like this was a year to give it a crack due to our midtable position.

• Options
    to every fan who went yesterday and has slagged Stephens off you know fcuk all about football.
  • Options
    Well, there was one person near me who said he'd drive him to Villa.

The rest were that bad that he made him MOM!
  • Options
    as I said knows fcuk all about Football as he was very good at Watford as well.
  • Options
    The thing about Dale is that at least he knows what to do with a football and looks like he has seen one before.

Whether he does it or not is another question!
  • Options

to every fan who went yesterday and has slagged Stephens off you know fcuk all about football.

I wouldn't disagree with you there. Of the 11 who started the game, he would be amongst the last you'd point the finger at.

• Options
    Agreed - first 25 mins, he was playing as well as i'd seen him play - faded after that but given the tripe he was surrounded by, who can blame him. If nothing else, at least the board got a clear look at the strength of our 'squad'!