Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Slater, Jiminez, Prothero and even Chrissie Powell....

.......I hope you are reading this and understanding how badly let down Charlton fans feel about the club's approach to cup matches.

The poor buggers (not me) who lost money and 2+ hours of their lives watching that crap deserve at least an apology and a refund.

Dount theyre reading this mate. Probably sipping on champagne in the VIP of a members club.
  • Options
    Didn't go as it was my grand-daughters first birthday ...but to be honest, after the last few years cup 'action' I probably wouldn't have bothered anyway. Kudos to all who went ...you were let down badly.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Davo55 said:

.......I hope you are reading this and understanding how badly let down Charlton fans feel about the club's approach to cup matches.

The poor buggers (not me) who lost money and 2+ hours of their lives watching that crap deserve at least an apology and a refund.

Dount theyre reading this mate. Probably sipping on champagne in the VIP of a members club.
    Reading CPs comments on the OS, to his credit he sounds totally gutted - but think you might well be right about the others.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    stonemuse said:

Didn't go as it was my grand-daughters first birthday ...but to be honest, after the last few years cup 'action' I probably wouldn't have bothered anyway. Kudos to all who went ...you were let down badly.

Happy birthday to stonemuse's Grand-daughter, you did your Grandad a right favour :-)
  • Options
    In not sure the board can take any blame for today!

CP is in charge on first team affairs and if today wasn't good enough the blame lies with his players and the man himself.
  • Options
    Thought Stephens played well and Button was very good.
    Wish Waggy or Dreen had played instead of Cook.
    Subs should have come on at half time.
    Hot chocolate kept me warm for about 20 minutes.
  • Options
    I went in a party of six, with only oner other regular. What a pile of crud. What was the team talk pre match"Try it long, if they cut it out try again, and again and again .........."

I liked the look of Kerkar early season but his form has deserted him and he looks awful. Cooke seemed unable to put in a cross without hitting it into another player, except once when he managed to kick it into is own face. My friend is a Celtic fan and she could not believe how poor we were and looking through the eyes of someone who wanted his team to shine in front of friends I was so dissapointed.
  • Options
    Magic of the cup...mmmm
  • Options
    I'm not too fussed about the team selection (we must have had most possession in the first 45) but the way most players applied themselves was poor.

It seemed to me they were not really bothered about putting that bit more effort in when required. Who do you blame for that, them or the manager?
  • Options
    We are a similar level to Huddersfield as the league table shows. Therefore after we weaken our side more than they do it is no real surprise to lose. As soon as we went 1-0 down it had defeat written all over it. Shocking performance. And could Huddersfield really have the fattest fans in the Championship? Some real porkers on view today? Also was King Fatty who bared his belly with a woman a lot younger than him? Or was it a bloke? Very strange!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite enjoyed myself today. Sat in a different stand with some mates I don't normally sit with. Switched ends at half time. Had a laugh. Life's not so bad.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Unfortunately many clubs, including our own, now treat survival in the league as total priority with the cup as a sideshow

I don't disagree with this line of thinking but what I do object to is the dross that was served up which effectively took the p*ss out of those that made the effort to support the team today.

What is also shows is that our squad is just not good enough. CP went on record saying he wanted 2 players for every position and he basically got them...............problem is that half are not good enough.

• Options
    Very poor match and worth about 99p rather than the £15. Not a lot between the teams and if Powell had put out a stronger side I think Charlton could have won. Huddersfield didn't do much apart from score but were well-organised. We had a few half-chances and that was it. Wilson, Devite, Cook, Kerkhar and Wright-Phillips were just not good enough today. If Powell wants to try out some of his 'squad' players fine, but let the supporters in for no more than a fiver.
  • Options
    Can't say as I can remember many games in 40 years when I have actively not wanted us to score to avoid having to endure any thought of a replay (not that there was much prospect anyway). Utter garbage like 99% of recent cup performances. Here's hoping for an away draw next season so I can avoid any possibility of going through that again!

Wide players today were a joke. Cook looked like someone we had plucked from the crowd and Kerkar just isn't up to taking on anybody, how either are in the first team squad at this level I will never know. As for Dervite, after Watford and today, looks like an accident waiting to happen - please tell me Cort is going to be fit for Blackpool?!
  • Options
    Interesting that we took more to Fulham last season than we got at home today.
  • Options
    Posting late after reading a few on here.

TBH I'd rather see us beat someone at home on a Saturday in the league. But that doesn't mean I expect to watch an inept performance from the lads just because it's the Cup.

It must have been a guessing game as to whether H'Field would put out a strong team or not & hence who we should start. SCP was hinting earlier in the week at making changes & giving some young'uns a look in . Maybe he should have gone the whole hog and started a couple of them - they definitely couldn't have shown less than Cook for instance.

It seems obvious to me that Grayson put out his best team in order to bury the memories of their last drubbing quickly - and of course it worked against a changed & unbalanced Charlton eleven...err, make that ten again !

No real positives at all to take from the game. Thought Stephens was our best player today - at least he got stuck in , and at the other end of the scale, felt BWP missed a golden opportunity to shine . Not sure whether he'll still be around at the end of the month & I'm afraid I wouldn't be buying a new box of tissues if he departed.

So, a whole week to get the troops back into the fighting spirit they undoubtedly showed at Vicarage Rd . How we need a good performance & 3 points next Saturday ! Perhaps a couple of deals will take place before then , who knows. We need Wilson & Solly back where they belongs, for sure with hopefully a fit Cort at the back with Morro. JJ back in the side too and hopefully Fuller up front. Can't help feeling that SCP was really let down by a few today & not sure whether the culprits will see much action in a red shirt from now on. Like us, he should have a clearer picture now who the grafters are in the squad & who are the also rans. Sad, but true .

Let's hope he is given some cash to strengthen the problem areas during the window.

Keep the faith !

• Options
    Stig said:

We lost a game of head tennis.

And SCP lost his head when he picked that team .

• Options
    edited January 2013
    The F.A cup is officially dead. You can blame it on managers resting player ( ie today ) or the F. A for playing semi finals at wembley but mainly because the TV companies have destroyed the cup by switching games to ridiculous times . R.I.P the F.A cup
  • Options
    The manager is quite rightly prioritising the league over the cup. If first choice players had played and been injured we would all be moaning. We are no way safe from relegation. The FA Cup is finished, it doesn't matter any more really. These things happen. It's hardlysurprising the players treat it like a glorified friendly - they know that if they were any better they would probably be rested and when they come out of the tunnel at the start, the ground's empty.

It's terrible that with 30 seconds to go we chose (Wilson? I forget) to pass back to a player near the centre circle rather than lump it into the box and try and get an own goal but that just sums up the afternoon, really.

Win v Blackpool with fresh players who have had a weekend off and revisit this thread then. The manager has made the right choice.
  • Options
    Piss poor team selection by Powell. Shouldnt treat the FA Cup as a unwanted distraction.

Boring game and shit atmosphere other than the lads in the corner of the East Stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Out of the four it's Powells job to say it's good enough or it wasn't good enough and he came out said it wasn't good enough. So credit where its due.
  • Options

Can't say as I can remember many games in 40 years when I have actively not wanted us to score to avoid having to endure any thought of a replay (not that there was much prospect anyway). Utter garbage like 99% of recent cup performances. Here's hoping for an away draw next season so I can avoid any possibility of going through that again!

Wide players today were a joke. Cook looked like someone we had plucked from the crowd and Kerkar just isn't up to taking on anybody, how either are in the first team squad at this level I will never know. As for Dervite, after Watford and today, looks like an accident waiting to happen - please tell me Cort is going to be fit for Blackpool?!

If we are at home to someone like that next year then maybe we should play at Welling to get a better atmosphere

• Options

The F.A cup is officially dead. You can blame it on managers resting player ( ie today ) or the F. A for playing semi finals at wembley but mainly because the TV companies have destroyed the cup by switching games to ridiculous times . R.I.P the F.A cup

Brighton beat Newcastle, Hastings have a great day out at 'Boro, according to match reports there were many other terrific games. It's alive and kicking.

• Options

Stig said:

We lost a game of head tennis.

And SCP lost his head when he picked that team .

Not sure he did really. I've no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing: keeping squad players happy regardless of the result.
  • Options
    Unlucky enough to have got tickets for yesterday but lucky enough that I didn't realise one of the kids had a party and I was on babysitting duties instead of going to The Valley .....
    The team we put out was better than I expected as was Hudders but sounds like we performed less than expected
    Times change and due to the ridiculous monetary state of the game the difference in sentiment to the cup from clubs has changed but that doesn't excuse the lack of effort from anyone.
    Once again Dervite showed why SCP was reluctant to sub Morro in the Derby game at ht :-)
  • Options
    I guess a positive from yesterday is it proves to the owners that we need some squad strengthening. A win may have papered over the cracks.
  • Options

Magic of the cup...mmmm

who remembers
    I
    it had all looked so different when Powell scored his first ever goal for Charlton against the team he supported as a boy to set Spurs rocking in this delayed fourth-round tie.

• Options

Brighton beat Newcastle, Hastings have a great day out at 'Boro, according to match reports there were many other terrific games. It's alive and kicking.

Yep the third round as a whole was pretty good, enjoyed the United v Hammers game, twas just us that ruined it !
  • Options
    All clubs should be made to pick their strongest team for the FA Cup. Barring injuries, they should be forced to play the players who have played in the last ten matches.
  • Options

All clubs should be made to pick their strongest team for the FA Cup. Barring injuries, they should be forced to play the players who have played in the last ten matches.

Give the fourth Champions League spot to the winners of the FA Cup, or have a playoff between the winners and the team that comes fourth - that's the only way teams will take it seriously.