Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    5 year season ticket holder, regular home and away for 44 years. Unless our manager says next year they will play a full strength side in the cup, I shall not be attending any further cup matches:(

Waste of £15 and my time. Not happy. Credit where due, Stephens was our best player today. We created no chances, so what does that say about him?
  • Options
    The result shows that we have a really thin squad. It also shows that Charlton will be in trouble if we sell Solly. Wilson is a better right half than right back, and it takes his much needed dynamism out of the midfield and leaves Stephens and Pritchard struggling.

If the owners are demonstrated how thin the squad is and what happens if you take Solly out of the team, and that we need him (+reinforcements) then the whole shambolic episode has not been a total waste of time.
  • Options
    We are just not a team at home are we? there is no cohesion between the midfield and forwards. Stephens plays far too deep and never looks for a probing through ball. With Solly out we not only weakened the defence, but also lost any attacking threat down the right. We seem to get out passed and out fought by every team. It must be a nightmare playing up front. We seriously need to start keeping it on the deck and start pushing forward as a unit rather than long punts all the time. Whatever happened to the attractive passing football that we were playing when Paul Hayes was up front? I'd much rather see Waggy and Green than Cook and Kerkar. Really getting sick to the back teeth of seeing our players sent off and penalties against us every game.
  • Options
    redman said:

Did they get lost?

No, they were going to Palace!
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time i enjoyed a game less than that, i will not bother going to any more cup ties if the club can't take it seriously. The only bright spark is we know Button is more than capable back-up for Hamer.
  • Options
    I couldn't be bothered with it today we are woefull at home and this was on the cards even if we had played Hastings a complete waste of time why 7000 bother is beyond me
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

About as poor a game as you will ever see. Not one chance from open play for Charlton. Dervite is hopeless without Cort next to him.

Try dervite is shite & you will be nearer the truth
  • Options
    Pathetic performence in the cup yet again. The managment team and the board need to take a long hard look at themselves, this same old shit has been going on for too long now. Hopefully Huddersfield get a home game televised against Man Utd next.
  • Options

I couldn't be bothered with it today we are woefull at home and this was on the cards even if we had played Hastings a complete waste of time why 7000 bother is beyond me

My feelings exactly.
  • Options
    I think all the comments here pretty much sum it up. I was expecting nothing & got less than nothing.
    I too am a 5 year S/T holder, a S/T holder for 40 years & have only missed about 5 home games League & Cup in 40 years. I go to most aways as well.

I have to say I really don't know if I'll bother with these small cup games anymore. As others have said, if the club aren't bothered, why should I ?

This has been going on now for nearly 20 years hasn't it ?

PS No doubt I will still go next season, but I'll be sitting by myself, as everyone else will have come to their senses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Maybe next season we could give the clubs we draw in the cups a bye it would save our fans a lot of time and effort and money.....sorry but that was just total and utter shit today!!!
  • Options
    We lost a game of head tennis.
  • Options
    Nug said:

I sat near the away bench and Grayson went absolutely mental when Pritchard got booked. Didn't look that bad from where I was. They were a bunch of moaners, Beckford and Vaughan didn't shut up either.

Grayson was going nuts because the ref blew the whistle instead of playing advantage when Udders were about 3 on 1 at the half way line.
  • Options

Nug said:

I sat near the away bench and Grayson went absolutely mental when Pritchard got booked. Didn't look that bad from where I was. They were a bunch of moaners, Beckford and Vaughan didn't shut up either.

Grayson was going nuts because the ref blew the whistle instead of playing advantage when Udders were about 3 on 1 at the half way line.
    Thanks that makes sense, teach his player not to make a meal of it in future!
  • Options
    Pitiful.
    I wont bother explaining to my son about the magic of the Cup next year - this was his first taste of the great competition, but I don't really know what to say now.
    Mind you, many on here should be happy. They had already decided it was an irrelevance before the game.
  • Options
    Complete crap.The FA Cup is a great tournament and we should have gone for it.My expectations were for a mid table finish so surely we could have tried to give it a go.It was a joke and I feel completely let down,I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that again.We have got to take these cup competitions seriously,for gods sake we are not Man Utd,Chelsea etc.What a joke.
  • Options

I went so that I could see fringe players play and sit in a different stand! At £20 for me and my lad it was cheap enough.

Boring game. The players never stopped running, but there was little attempt to play the ball on the floor. As usual, can't tell if this is because they are incapable or under strict orders.
  • Options
    Truly awful today. Looking at the team beforehand I thought they'd do enough to compete but Huddersfield were better in every department.

It was a complete contrast to the league game in November in that when Huddersfield were a goal and a man down they fought like tigers which eventaually earned them a draw- compare our reaction to the same circumstances today.

The only player to come out with any credit was Stephens if only for the crunching tackle on Clarke in the 1st half- now he just needs to find those shooting boots a bit more!
  • Options
    Predictable. Avoided this one, thankfully. The disappointing thing, reading from here is that those not on CP's league teamsheet didn't make a point to be !! Onwards and upwards, the league is our real bread and butter
  • Options
    Supporter for over 40 years and I still get excited about the FA Cup. I dream that one day we will have a decent run.

Like everyone else, I am fed up with make shift teams being sent out that try hard but are just not going to deliver when I, like many thousands of other loyal fans, have made the effort to turn up and give my support.

Right now I hope I have the conviction not to bother next year. Like "Covered End" I will probably weaken. But that doesn't make it right for the club not to try its best and put out its strongest side.

Highlight for me was the size of that beer belly the Huddersfield fan flashed when they scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just got in. Couldn't get 'up for it' like for a league game so decided to not worry too much about the result. As it was they had the better of the first half but were pretty impotent second half. When we realised they weren't much cop at the back we pressured them much quicker. However a number of things confirmed.
    1. Dervite and Kerkar are squad players at best. Kerkar was anonymous and Dervite deserved his red, particularly as he made a hash of controlling the ball.
    2. Button looks very decent back up for Hamer.
    3. Wilson is not a right back, however he handled Scannell ok. Is much better at right mid.
    4. BWP has not got much longer with us.
    5. Evina is good going forward, less so defensively. Bit of a panic whenever he was receiving the ball.

One more thing...Stephens was the best midfielder on the pitch today. I'm ready to be pilloried but I made a conscious effort to watch him, especially on the ball. And whilst he did lose the ball on occasions, he also hit some sublime passes out to Kerkar and Evina.

Spot on.

You forgot Cook.

I wish I could.

• Options
    Green and waggy must be shit not to get in ahead of kerkar and cook.

Was Fuller in the squad?
  • Options
    Unfortunately many clubs, including our own, now treat survival in the league as total priority with the cup as a sideshow
  • Options
    I agree on Wagstaff. Ok he's not the best but he is much better than Cook. Powell must want both Green and Waggy out.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Just saw this on the BBC website:

Charlton manager Chris Powell: "To say I'm frustrated is the understatement of the year. I'm not enamoured with what happened today.

"I know we went down to 10 men but we went out with a whimper.

"It was a poor goal for us to concede and it gave us a mountain to climb. I'm not happy with the way it has panned out."

And how much did you pay to watch it Chris?
  • Options
    Disgraceful performance and total disregard to the fans who bothered to go with the team picked. Why not play your best team and if you get a comfortable lead then you can protect/rest players.
    I guess the problem is this season is that the management team can't decide what their best team is.At least after today I can tell them, Cook, and Kerkar are not part of it.
    Can anybody tell me how much we earned for the defeat today? Huddersfield received £67,500 for winning, they also now have the chance to earn £90,000 for a win in the 4th round, plus extra gate money. Obviously money isn't an issue for the board...........
    Seriously pi**ed off with the club's attitude towards the cup competitions and the fans who give up their time and money in the hope we will actually put in a performance.
    I will of course still turn up for the cup games next season regardless.

• Options
    So after today it is clear to me that our strongest team is:

Hamer - Solly, Morro, Cort, Wiggins - Wilson, Pritchard, Stephens, Jackson - Haynes, Fuller
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    stonemuse said:

Unfortunately many clubs, including our own, now treat survival in the league as total priority with the cup as a sideshow

I don't disagree with this line of thinking but what I do object to is the dross that was served up which effectively took the p*ss out of those that made the effort to support the team today.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

So after today it is clear to me that our strongest team is:

Hamer - Solly, Morro, Cort, Wiggins - Wilson, Pritchard, Stephens, Jackson - Haynes, Fuller

Correct
  • Options
    Slater, Jiminez, Prothero and even Chrissie Powell....

.......I hope you are reading this and understanding how badly let down Charlton fans feel about the club's approach to cup matches.

The poor buggers (not me) who lost money and 2+ hours of their lives watching that crap deserve at least an apology and a refund.