Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Most teams do take it serious
  • Options
    That was sheer and utter drivel....perhaps the club would like to refund all of us that bothered to turn up their ticket fee.

That is the first time in 40 odd years of watching Charlton that i said to my son i hope we dont score, as were unlikely to score 2 and dont really want a replay. 3/4 of my mates and people around me didnt bother to go yesterday for the reason the club dont give a monkees.

Shame on the club to treat this competition as if it doesnt matter.
  • Options

Shame on the club to treat this competition as if it doesnt matter.

This sentiment seems to be pushed but we had only 6000 Charlton fans there yesterday, that's 10,000 'regular' fans who have taken the exact stance people as they we are assuming the club/team/manager/tea lady took. Couldn't be bothered.

Me included.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yet another 3rd round on my birthday ends with an awful perfomrance and a predictable defeat - really wished I'd stayed in the pub.

Only positives for me were Stephens, who I thought looked every inch a Premiership player yesterday and Button who really impressed - particularly with one great save.

Kerkar and Cook were absolutely dire.

It also means that if the O's can beat Hull in their replay, the game at the KC can still be on a Saturday, as a tuesday night rearranged fixture up their means at least a days leave is required.
  • Options
    This game demonstrated two things for me:
    1. We daren't sell Solly just yet.
    2. We desperately need a striker in place of the now "defunct" BWP!
  • Options
    As other people have already said I feel like I have been robbed of £15.
    Powell should have informed the fans earlier that he wasn't taking the game serious and then I wouldn't have wasted my time and money attending.

The club should do the decent thing and give the supporters a refund!
  • Options
    Another example of the skewed finances of football where clubs are financially so desperate to prioritise the league that the FA Cup is for clubs like Charlton an irrelevance to their season. Getting an injury to a key player is far too great a danger even at the expense of taking the piss out of the supporters.
  • Options
    Valley attendance yesterday 64% below season average, biggest % deficit of any cup match, according to MoS figures.
  • Options
    Think it would also be the abysmal home form having an impact on that, not just the lack of interest in the FA Cup. Visiting The Valley to watch the team these days is a gruelling experience.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

We lost a game of head tennis.

And SCP lost his head when he picked that team .

Not sure he did really. I've no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing: keeping squad players happy regardless of the result.
    If that is true, is he "firm" enough as a manager, they have to earn the right to play & if they play must give their all. Seen enough of Kirkar etc to know they are not good enough.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

Stig said:

We lost a game of head tennis.

And SCP lost his head when he picked that team .

Not sure he did really. I've no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing: keeping squad players happy regardless of the result.
    If that is true, is he "firm" enough as a manager, they have to earn the right to play & if they play must give their all. Seen enough of Kirkar etc to know they are not good enough.

As I hinted earlier, I believe the performances ( or rather non performances) of at least a couple will confirm for SCP that they are just not up to his standard.

• Options
    se9addick said:

All clubs should be made to pick their strongest team for the FA Cup. Barring injuries, they should be forced to play the players who have played in the last ten matches.

Give the fourth Champions League spot to the winners of the FA Cup, or have a playoff between the winners and the team that comes fourth - that's the only way teams will take it seriously.
    Agree give 4th champions league spot to FA cup winners
  • Options
    WSS said:

Valley attendance yesterday 64% below season average, biggest % deficit of any cup match, according to MoS figures.

Incredible. Where does everyone go?

I'm not one of the 'Powell out' mob but yesterday was dire. Ive been to two games now - today and millwall where we havent had one chance from open play. Not one chance!!!
    If Villa want stephens they can take him - him and pritchard completely dominated by hudders midfield and never got a hold on the game.

Only positives - button and the red division.
  • Options
    Anyone else notice their keeper was wearing yellow top and black shorts - same as the officials! I wondered if our gallant men were confused...
  • Options
    WSS said:

Is that ever ? I'm sure we got about 2,000 for one of our JPT games (Barnet home maybe?) and our av. Attendance must have been about 10/11,000 at that point ?
  • Options
    Shame that the FA Cup has been devalued by giving no hopers ie Kerkar and Cook a run out! Am seriously worried Chris Solly was rested on orders from West Ham (not to be cup-tied), hope I'm wrong. We cannot afford to lose him and Dale Stephens. Agree with the many comments why weren't Waggy and Danny Green playing? Last decent home cup game I saw was Sheffield Wednesday at home years ago!
  • Options
    Sat directly behind the oppo dugout in the west and the only exciting moment was when one of our lot started shouting abuse at Grayson. On the pitch was dire but not a single meaningful chant from our lot.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

WSS said:

Is that ever ? I'm sure we got about 2,000 for one of our JPT games (Barnet home maybe?) and our av. Attendance must have been about 10/11,000 at that point ?
    I'm guessin that is about the cup matches this weekend not for every Charlton cup match ever
  • Options
    I reckon a lot more than 10,000 regulars were missing from this one. A number of posters in this thread (me included) are not regulars and went to the game with family / friends who wouldn't normally go. The regulars had the good sense to stay away from it.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I reckon a lot more than 10,000 regulars were missing from this one. A number of posters in this thread (me included) are not regulars and went to the game with family / friends who wouldn't normally go. The regulars had the good sense to stay away from it.

Kind of a chicken and egg situation - do clubs not take the comp seriously because only 6,000 fans turn up? Or do no fans turn up cos the club and manager doesnt take the comp serioisly?

I think if only a few of us turn up, which has happened for last few years, (bar fulham) it gives the impression we don't care and that its okay for the manager to play a second rate team and not take the comp seriously. Unfair on the ones that bother the show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this carries on like this we will be supporting a club that will never win another cup in its history total disregard will there ever be a season when we give it a go because i cant see it.
  • Options

johnny73 said:

Kind of a chicken and egg situation - do clubs not take the comp seriously because only 6,000 fans turn up? Or do no fans turn up cos the club and manager doesnt take the comp serioisly?

I think if only a few of us turn up, which has happened for last few years, (bar fulham) it gives the impression we don't care and that its okay for the manager to play a second rate team and not take the comp seriously. Unfair on the ones that bother the show.
    You're right. It's a bit of both. I'm not going to be hypercritical like others either. Powell kept our fringe players match fitness up, would have learned at lot more about the squad depth (we have none) and for those players worth keeping would have technical feedback to give. Losing didn't cost us any league points and sends a message to the board about the lack of squad depth. (Not necessarily a message about signing new players but a message of don't sell the good ones we already have).

At the same time I understand the frustration of such an apathetic day. I took my 15 year old daughter (making her a third generation attendee) hoping I could convince her not only to support charlton but also like football in general. Perversely she had a good time.

Cafc put a lot into the football for a fiver days to expand their supporter base but don't realize that fringe fans are also likely to go to a game like yesterday (reduced attendance fees - sit anywhere etc). They should be looking to make these kind of games an event instead of treating it as a training exercise.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Slater, Jiminez, Prothero and even Chrissie Powell....

.......I hope you are reading this and understanding how badly let down Charlton fans feel about the club's approach to cup matches.

The poor buggers (not me) who lost money and 2+ hours of their lives watching that crap deserve at least an apology and a refund.

Out of the four it's Powells job to say it's good enough or it wasn't good enough and he came out said it wasn't good enough. So credit where its due.
    What, for deliberately picking a weakened team? What else could he say? He chose the team and it was a slap in the face to the fans who paid to watch it.
  • Options
    Some of us are just gluttons for punishment. Couldn't agree more with Danny bakers summing up of the FA CUP as thin gruel these days.
  • Options

Cafc put a lot into the football for a fiver days to expand their supporter base but don't realize that fringe fans are also likely to go to a game like yesterday (reduced attendance fees - sit anywhere etc). They should be looking to make these kind of games an event instead of treating it as a training exercise.

This does sound like a sensible comment. Wonder what Airman thinks about it?
  • Options
    Bad mistake to shut the North Upper for these games. It may save money but it completely ruins the atmosphere as most of the vocal support comes from there.
  • Options
    I think the FA dictate minimum prices etc. for FA Cup games.
  • Options
    Is 'cup-tied' going to be the new buzzword for this January window? There is no chance in hell that Chris Powell would drop a player he wanted out on the pitch due to a possible bid from another team. He just wouldn't do it. Solly was rested because he plays every league match, and his back-up is generally at right midfield and so there's not a lot of scope for cover if he gets injured.

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounded like an utterly dire performance. Powell will not have sent out a team that he didn't think could compete so some of the players who played yesterday will have to have a look at themselves. Cook is young and hasn't played much so he'll probably be given more time but it could be the end of tha road for some others. Maybe early to call time on BWP - sounded like he was superb against Derby when it mattered more
  • Options

Bad mistake to shut the North Upper for these games. It may save money but it completely ruins the atmosphere as most of the vocal support comes from there.

Provides the opportunity for a good training day exercise for the grab squad though :-)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

It also means that if the O's can beat Hull in their replay, the game at the KC can still be on a Saturday, as a tuesday night rearranged fixture up their means at least a days leave is required.

er, not sure what you are on about Addicted as the 4th round is on the 26th Jan when we have Sheff W at home - unless you are talking about the 5th round ( no idea when that is but I wouldn't have thought is was the 16th Feb when we play Hull) - if so they have another game to play before you need to start worrying