Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

to every fan who went yesterday and has slagged Stephens off you know fcuk all about football.

I wouldn't disagree with you there. Of the 11 who started the game, he would be amongst the last you'd point the finger at.

I agree, so many do not seem to see that the players who are trying to make the differance are also the ones to get caught out in possession and miss place a pass. A winger trying to hit the goal line is going to miss out on average 50% of the time as well. It is often not about ability alone, it is also about trying to do what the manager has asked you to do and there are times when doing that goes against your own judgement, but this is what you are required to do.

These are also the players that win you games and then they are heroes. Stephens and Pritchard are two of our best and most effective performers this year IMO

The better level you played football at yourself, the more likely you are able to understand this.

The old saying ''If you do not want to make a mistake - don't do anything'' is so true and is magnified on the football field. How many did that apply to yesterday? Who were the two exceptions? I rest my case.

• Options
    agreed again - for me, only stephens, kermo, pritchard, and to a certain extent, evina were actually doing anything other than going through the motions yesterday. The worst culprits were cook, kerker and bwp - the 2 wide players were totally anonymous. Bwp wasn't so bad but was more interested in getting through the game without being whacked by one of the 2 bully boy centre backs than anything else.
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure why Stephens divides opinion so much. To my mind he is our best footballer...this is different to being our best player. He was the best midfielder on show yesterday. I think he has added a steeliness to his game of late, his challenge on Gerrard was Shirtliffesque.
    Now, I am not saying he has played well consistently. But, he has shown enough to suggest that he could be a very good player at this level and higher in the future.

Yes, his passes don't always come off and yes, he gets caught in possession but it was no surprise that yesterday he sprayed the ball around because he had two wingers( albeit pretty inept ones) who at least looked to provide real width and and pace. Of course he will always be accused of playing the ball sideways when Jackson and Pritchard are our 'wingers' because they don't bomb on and get ahead of him.

Yesterday he showed good touch and vision and at least showed he gave a damn. I'd like him to stay and become a really good player with us.
  • Options
    Late on here putting in my two penneth. to Chris Powell ( whom I support by the way) I am really angry with you I made a 360 miles round trip as usual and I expect to be treated with some respect in that a team should have been chosen to at least compete and win the tie. Instead I was taken for a fool. Cook and Kerkar first ream players, you are really having a laugh. Taylor as captain? he showed no leadership at all but was probably too busy covering up for Dervite who was completely abject.

I wish I was one of the 10,000 or so missing fans I would have saved my self a great deal of money.
    I did not expect to see the full first team out there but the wholesale changes were just taking the p***s out of us all, under the trade descriptions act maybee we shoul all be getting a full refund of our ticket money and travelling expences. If the club cannot take this great competition seriously then in future I certainly won't.

Really angry.
    Willieduff
  • Options
    Like a few posters here I am also late with my input but I have to say I am pretty disgusted with the whole thing. Firstly it is clear that the club or at least the manager doesn't consider the F.A. Cup as a priority hence we fielded a weaker team which then proceeded to play like they had never seen one another before. As someone else here said we didn't have a shot on goal for 62 minutes which really says everything about the match. Few of the players acquited themselves to any acceptable standard it was appalling.

Now what really gets in my throat is that for this cup tie, which it appears the club wasn't taking too seriously, the club decides to do two things. Firstly they close large chunks of the ground and then charge £15 for a ticket! If this is so insignificant in terms of Football why not say to season ticket holders that they can come to the match for a nominal charge lets say £5 at least the ground would have had atmosphere and we could more readily accept that we would be watching a second string team.

lasty I wonder who the finacial genius is behind out club. Boxing Day they charged £30 for s ticket and the place was pretty empty I wonder how many they would have got in if they had charged a lower amount? I suspect they could have attracted another 3-4000 if they had charged £15 but who knows. This debacle has really tainted this season for me a little and I for one will not be attending any future cup matches.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Glad that Stephens performance is being acknowledged-sitting in the East gives you a much better perspective

So this is why I disagree about players performances with my friends in the north?
  • Options
    Also late on here posting after witnessing the debacle on Saturday. Yet another case of misplaced optimism that we would/could beat a struggling team that had not won in 10 matches, of the same league as us (and therefore no 'panic' factor involved), and because we were at home, nothing to really lose and on the back of a great win at Watford.

Unlike recent home games where I thought our line up looked attacking and creative, the sight of Evina with Kerkar and the inexperienced Cook filled me with more than a touch of concern. Rarely though over my 32 years following this wonderful club can I recall such a woeful performance with not a single memorable chance and their keeper unchallenged all match.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the trend for all away teams to show so much more skill, effort and determination. The days of Fortess Valley seem long ago. The statistic that Charlton cannot win at home on a Saturday any more was, initally, interesting but is now becoming somewhat concerning and simply must change.

Did SCP underestimate Huddersfield in choosing that starting line-up? Maybe.

Did we really go into this with the notion that the FA Cup is not important and that 'our priority is the league'? I can't agree with that stance given our relatively comfortable league position. It's my view that winning is infectious. Back to back wins (AND breaking the Saturday jinx) would have been worth its weight in gold. Now we are faced with having taken a step backwards in terms of team and manager confidence in the way forward.

Even my long-standing loyalty and optimism for cup games is running very thin. We must have the single worst FA cup record of any team of our standing.............over many, many years. When that involves different managers let alone playing squads, I just don't understand it. So frustrating!
  • Options

Like a few posters here I am also late with my input but I have to say I am pretty disgusted with the whole thing. Firstly it is clear that the club or at least the manager doesn't consider the F.A. Cup as a priority hence we fielded a weaker team which then proceeded to play like they had never seen one another before. As someone else here said we didn't have a shot on goal for 62 minutes which really says everything about the match. Few of the players acquited themselves to any acceptable standard it was appalling.

Now what really gets in my throat is that for this cup tie, which it appears the club wasn't taking too seriously, the club decides to do two things. Firstly they close large chunks of the ground and then charge £15 for a ticket! If this is so insignificant in terms of Football why not say to season ticket holders that they can come to the match for a nominal charge lets say £5 at least the ground would have had atmosphere and we could more readily accept that we would be watching a second string team.

lasty I wonder who the finacial genius is behind out club. Boxing Day they charged £30 for s ticket and the place was pretty empty I wonder how many they would have got in if they had charged a lower amount? I suspect they could have attracted another 3-4000 if they had charged £15 but who knows. This debacle has really tainted this season for me a little and I for one will not be attending any future cup matches.

As I've said before, there is a minimum charge of £10 for adults in the third round written into the competition rules. The club is not allowed to charge £5 (neither would it make any business sense to do so, given the revenue split and the appeal of the game).

The home support in the Ipswich crowd was pretty good by comparison with other recent matches based on the likelihood few comps were issued for a Boxing Day fixture. You are probably right that a much lower price would have attracted more, but then that is generally true. If the club charged £15 for all games it would get bigger crowds. However, it would have to reduce the price of season tickets to compensate and would get less revenue overall, which is why it offers reduced prices for selected games. That isn't going to include Boxing Day, when more people are inclined to attend anyway.

Whether or not it was right to charge £30 for top price seats, there were plenty of £22 and £25 tickets available for Ipswich, by the way.
  • Options
    Are you sure about the Ipswitch match prices? I sit lower north which is one of the cheaper parts of the ground and I had to pay £30 for my two mates tickets.
  • Options
    In defence of Chris Powell:
    Button: the decision to play him didn't affect the outcome.
    Wilson : it Solly is sold (and as our best player we should accept the possibility) he will be first choice RB so game time in the position is a good call. He was bought as RB cover and is a regular first team player
    Taylor : will be playing on Saturday so very sensible to give him game time. Had done nothing to suggest he's not up to this level.
    Dervite : Cort is injured. Dervite was in the previous winning league side.
    Evina : is the best left back we have who is fit.
    Cook : with Wilson otherwise engaged at RB this tells you how Chris rates Green and I am not saying I agree but I guess there are things I don't know!
    Pritchard : who, seriously, wouldn't have picked him?
    Stephens : as Pritchard - we would have been weaker without and if he is potentially for sale could easily have been omitted.
    Kerkar : has been a first team player, rightly or wrongly. The alternative was Jacko who I personally think is too slow to give width, or who else wide left? If Harriott the "disrespect" argument is stronger.
    Kermorgant: many fans rate him. Fuller is only just back from injury so I can understand resting him.
    BWP : with Haynes and Fuller injury prone (think Haynes is still out) and Hulse gone, if not BWP, who? many called for him to start after Derby.

I don't think on a rational analysis that was a disrespectful team to put out. The performance was doubtless disappointing (I wasn't there) but does it really reflect a lack of interest in the cup? Giving games to the young players who are nowhere near the first team would be disrespectful - if (and only if) they failed to deliver on the first team stage. Everyone must make a debut sometime.

No, that team ought to have been able to compete with Huddersfield and ought to rise above the inevitable lack of atmosphere. What bothers me greatly is after nearly two years in charge and a completely new set of players apart from Solly and Jacko, we are still hearing reports of "hoof ball". None of Saturdays players learned that from Parky! If we are going to be a side that plays smartly to feet we should be seeing that now as a habit throughout the squad. Plenty of mid table teams do it at this level (Derby, Brighton, Watford minus the cheating, as examples). I think the conclusion is not that the fans were ripped off but rather that the quality of the squad is still work in progress.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My absence on Saturday was nothing to do with the pricing, they could have charged a fiver and I wouldn't have been bothered, I am part of the generation of supporters disallusioned with our cup form. Indeed, the only matches I'll bother with are those where we ought to lose, as the players (of course) are up for matches against the big boys...
  • Options

next season maybe the club will put a team out but I think they were right not to so this time - and it was flagged well in advance...
    CAFC must move up in the league over the next 12-18 months in order to attract fans, players and maybe new finance...
    one bad run and we are scrapping with the bottom clubs (again) one good run and we are edging towards the play offs... key players like Solly, Hamer and the forwards MAY be in the shop window but it's just as likely that they are wrapped up in cotton wool ready for next Saturday...
    Of course if we fail to win on a Saturday (again!) with all these players rested then that will add to the anxiety...

In a nutshell, seriously_red.

I'm refusing to attend another Cup match this season.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Are you sure about the Ipswitch match prices? I sit lower north which is one of the cheaper parts of the ground and I had to pay £30 for my two mates tickets.

The lower north isn't one of the cheaper areas for match by match tickets, because It has to be the same price as the away end. That doesn't apply for STs, which I accept causes confusion. The £22 tickets were in the north west quadrant and upper north, with £25 in the east and upper west wings. There will also have been £17 adult tickets in the family stand, for those accompanied by an U18.
  • Options
    Surely the club can charge what they like to season ticket holders, hence the likes of Arsenal and Spurs have 6 cup games included within the season ticket cost.

Whether it makes 'business sense' is arguable as with 15,000 in the ground it might have made a difference to the end result and with it the lucrative reward of prize money and potential gate money in round 4.

Im not ashamed to admit I didnt bother on Saturday because of the cost, the fact it was Huddersfield and our dreadful record in the cup. I would rather use the money for a Palace ticket.
  • Options
    Its a good point SouthendAddick I don't see why the club cannot charge what they like but if it is the case there is absolutely nothing to stop them letting in season ticket holders free of charage at least the game would have had a crowd and a bit of atmosphere as it was the whole thing was a complete disaster.
  • Options

Wilson : it Solly is sold (and as our best player we should accept the possibility) he will be first choice RB so game time in the position is a good call. He was bought as RB cover and is a regular first team player
    Taylor : will be playing on Saturday so very sensible to give him game time. Had done nothing to suggest he's not up to this level.
    Cook : with Wilson otherwise engaged at RB this tells you how Chris rates Green and I am not saying I agree but I guess there are things I don't know!
    Stephens : as Pritchard - we would have been weaker without and if he is potentially for sale could easily have been omitted.
    Kerkar : has been a first team player, rightly or wrongly. The alternative was Jacko who I personally think is too slow to give width, or who else wide left? If Harriott the "disrespect" argument is stronger.
    Kermorgant: many fans rate him. Fuller is only just back from injury so I can understand resting him.
    BWP : with Haynes and Fuller injury prone (think Haynes is still out) and Hulse gone, if not BWP, who? many called for him to start after Derby.

I don't think on a rational analysis that was a disrespectful team to put out. The performance was doubtless disappointing (I wasn't there) but does it really reflect a lack of interest in the cup? Giving games to the young players who are nowhere near the first team would be disrespectful - if (and only if) they failed to deliver on the first team stage. Everyone must make a debut sometime.

No, that team ought to have been able to compete with Huddersfield and ought to rise above the inevitable lack of atmosphere. What bothers me greatly is after nearly two years in charge and a completely new set of players apart from Solly and Jacko, we are still hearing reports of "hoof ball". None of Saturdays players learned that from Parky! If we are going to be a side that plays smartly to feet we should be seeing that now as a habit throughout the squad. Plenty of mid table teams do it at this level (Derby, Brighton, Watford minus the cheating, as examples). I think the conclusion is not that the fans were ripped off but rather that the quality of the squad is still work in progress.

First class post Bryan, if I may say so.
    Your point about the hoof ball is particularly pertinent; given CP's stated intention from day one to get away from that style.
    It's increasingly depressing to see others teams regularly come to the Valley and out pass us; even teams below us or struggling.

As for the Cup - I think maybe our collective anger and frustration is a cumulative thing - SCP is feeling the wrath borne of years of underachievement, not just from this game. Let's face it, we were almost expecting it
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Its a good point SouthendAddick I don't see why the club cannot charge what they like but if it is the case there is absolutely nothing to stop them letting in season ticket holders free of charage at least the game would have had a crowd and a bit of atmosphere as it was the whole thing was a complete disaster.

Whether you accept it or not, the club cannot charge £5 and it cannot let people in free of charge, because it is against the competition rules - the same as it cannot field 12 players or two goalkeepers! It would have to pay the opposition and the FA, as it does already in respect of comp tickets issued to staff, etc. it's not even allowed to let people in for nothing to the FA Youth Cup, because the FA want their cut.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    At least slap 15 quid on each adult s/t and let them in free for the 1st home FA Cup tie. After all we never go further normally, you get more income and there will be a few more in the ground, although I feel this club have been hurt this year by that performance, cumulative apathy or otherwise, you'll be lucky to get 5,000 in similar circumstances next year. The fans are fed up.
  • Options

Whether you accept it or not, the club cannot charge £5 and it cannot let people in free of charge, because it is against the competition rules - the same as it cannot field 12 players or two goalkeepers! It would have to pay the opposition and the FA, as it does already in respect of comp tickets issued to staff, etc. it's not even allowed to let people in for nothing to the FA Youth Cup, because the FA want their cut.
    Could the club not include 2 or 3 cup games as part of a season ticket? Might help boost the gates in the early rounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At least slap 15 quid on each adult s/t and let them in free for the 1st home FA Cup tie. After all we never go further normally, you get more income and there will be a few more in the ground, although I feel this club have been hurt this year by that performance, cumulative apathy or otherwise, you'll be lucky yo get 5,000 in similar circumstances next year. The fans are fed up.

It wouldn't be free to the club and never can be, even if it's in the season ticket. The home club still has to compensate the other parties. You could do this and I accept some clubs must, but there are logistical issues. You would still need to issue match tickets to work out how much to pay the opposition and the FA; or pay them on the basis of vouchers taken at the turnstiles, which would be messy if you had a big draw, i.e. you couldn't resell unwanted seats without getting the voucher back in advance and that would probably require a buy-back scheme as an incentive, in which case you're back where you started.

The fundamental problem is that you are forcing up the season ticket price for a game that most don't want to buy and which may not take place at all, then splitting the extra revenue four ways. And it still won't stop the manager putting out a weaker team, which is actually the root of the problem.
  • Options
    The team put out on Saturday was the boards doing in many ways. There is too much to lose and little to gain by a match the board did not really want. If slater et al want promotion next season then this, as last season, is about the league and only the league. For them there is no money in the FA cup compared to stability and the potential for promotion in the next few seasons. Its purely about money and no surprises there. That being said it could have been a much more enjoyable day had the 'choir' kept in the north stand (albeit on the lower tier and not gone down to the south side of the east stand to taunt the away fans and didn't they have the last laugh. Singing and supporting(lack of) the team was why Saturday was a damp squib and yes I was on my own singing in the East Stand looking for some leadership from the north. This was why Saturday was such a washout (apart from the under strength team. The team will always play better if well supported and the 200 Huddersfield fans outsang us no problem and I salute them for that. In future I suggest that if the drummer doesn't fancy it then get someone else to take his place and keep all you great singers in the north. If that were the case next year then I would go again. If not then it will like watching paint dry.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Just got back to Oggyland tonight from my little sojourn in SE7- haven't read all through the thread otherwise I would have lost the will to live.

I've had more fun in a mausoleum - mind you the team played like they were already dead.

Highlight: Danny deVito's air kick, clumsy panic and look of innocence as he couldn't believe he was redcarded. Is he really an experienced pro?

I suppose that was about it. Okay, Button showed he's a dependable keeper; Stephens stood out on occasion and put in a decent shift.

Pritch, Wilson and BWP worked hard - but lacked any guile or flair.

Cook - frightened rabbit caught in the glare of headlamps.
    He sure ain't a winger.

Azeez - at least he showed enthusiasm, rarely shown by many of his team mates.

Nothing for the crowd to be excited about, but then they couldn't be bothered either.

C'mon, Chrissy Powell - for Gawd's sake, put out a team with a bit of fire in it's belly and not so clueless.

• Options

Very good post.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Highlight: Danny deVito's air kick, clumsy panic and look of innocence as he couldn't believe he was redcarded. Is he really an experienced pro?

I googled this myself when I was unsure of his age. Turns out he's only 24.
  • Options

Actually thought Kerkar had a good game compared to others.

Were u really there? He was crud.
    Yes I was really there. It's my opinion and if you don't like it then leave it.
  • Options
    #leaveityeah
  • Options
    Airman Brown said: soapy_jones said:
    At least slap 15 quid on each adult s/t and let them in free for the 1st home FA Cup tie. After all we never go further normally, you get more income and there will be a few more in the ground, although I feel this club have been hurt this year by that performance, cumulative apathy or otherwise, you'll be lucky yo get 5,000 in similar circumstances next year. The fans are fed up.

It wouldn't be free to the club and never can be, even if it's in the season ticket. The home club still has to compensate the other parties. You could do this and I accept some clubs must, but there are logistical issues. You would still need to issue match tickets to work out how much to pay the opposition and the FA; or pay them on the basis of vouchers taken at the turnstiles, which would be messy if you had a big draw, i.e. you couldn't resell unwanted seats without getting the voucher back in advance and that would probably require a buy-back scheme as an incentive, in which case you're back where you started.

The fundamental problem is that you are forcing up the season ticket price for a game that most don't want to buy and which may not take place at all, then splitting the extra revenue four ways. And it still won't stop the manager putting out a weaker team, which is actually the root of the problem.

Fair enough Airman but what we are doing regarding the F.A. Cup isn't working is it? So all we are saying is "Do something different to encourage people to come and maybe the club will treat the competition as something worth playing in" It's easy to come up with loads of reasons for not doing something maybe the enregy could be used to find a positive solution instead. By the way this is soemthing that has gone on for a long while and I don't particularly push any blame onto CP for this.
  • Options
    If a full strength Charlton had beaten Huddersfield 3-0, playing excellent football, and Powell had come out afterwards saying that he was going for it, and really fancied a long cup run this year, the crowds would start shooting up.

As it is, the players and management aren't bothered, so why should we be?
  • Options
    I didn't go- having read all the above, I'm pleased I didn't!