Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Cheltenham 1 Everton (1st team) 4. Just saying.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just got back to Oggyland tonight from my little sojourn in SE7- haven't read all through the thread otherwise I would have lost the will to live.

I've had more fun in a mausoleum - mind you the team played like they were already dead.

Highlight: Danny deVito's air kick, clumsy panic and look of innocence as he couldn't believe he was redcarded. Is he really an experienced pro?

I suppose that was about it. Okay, Button showed he's a dependable keeper; Stephens stood out on occasion and put in a decent shift.

Pritch, Wilson and BWP worked hard - but lacked any guile or flair.

Cook - frightened rabbit caught in the glare of headlamps.
    He sure ain't a winger.

Azeez - at least he showed enthusiasm, rarely shown by many of his team mates.

Nothing for the crowd to be excited about, but then they couldn't be bothered either.

C'mon, Chrissy Powell - for Gawd's sake, put out a team with a bit of fire in it's belly and not so clueless.

Oggy I'm sorry that you travelled all that way for what, by all accounts, was a dire match.

I missed it as one of my daughters contacted me that morning wanting something urgently.

Hope to bump into you when you come up next.
  • Options
    Inboxed you, Len.
  • Options

Airman Brown said: soapy_jones said:
    At least slap 15 quid on each adult s/t and let them in free for the 1st home FA Cup tie. After all we never go further normally, you get more income and there will be a few more in the ground, although I feel this club have been hurt this year by that performance, cumulative apathy or otherwise, you'll be lucky yo get 5,000 in similar circumstances next year. The fans are fed up.

It wouldn't be free to the club and never can be, even if it's in the season ticket. The home club still has to compensate the other parties. You could do this and I accept some clubs must, but there are logistical issues. You would still need to issue match tickets to work out how much to pay the opposition and the FA; or pay them on the basis of vouchers taken at the turnstiles, which would be messy if you had a big draw, i.e. you couldn't resell unwanted seats without getting the voucher back in advance and that would probably require a buy-back scheme as an incentive, in which case you're back where you started.

The fundamental problem is that you are forcing up the season ticket price for a game that most don't want to buy and which may not take place at all, then splitting the extra revenue four ways. And it still won't stop the manager putting out a weaker team, which is actually the root of the problem.

Fair enough Airman but what we are doing regarding the F.A. Cup isn't working is it? So all we are saying is "Do something different to encourage people to come and maybe the club will treat the competition as something worth playing in" It's easy to come up with loads of reasons for not doing something maybe the enregy could be used to find a positive solution instead. By the way this is soemthing that has gone on for a long while and I don't particularly push any blame onto CP for this.

I don't have the answers, I'm afraid, and as I've been relieved of any responsibility for finding them I'm not going to worry too much about that. I've just tried to explain why the options are more limited than people may think. I'm also not blaming Chris Powell - it's a deeper problem than that. I'd be more concerned if we'd played our best team and still performed like that.
  • Options
    But, Airman Brown, we have played like that with our full team!!
  • Options

Airman Brown said: soapy_jones said:
    At least slap 15 quid on each adult s/t and let them in free for the 1st home FA Cup tie. After all we never go further normally, you get more income and there will be a few more in the ground, although I feel this club have been hurt this year by that performance, cumulative apathy or otherwise, you'll be lucky yo get 5,000 in similar circumstances next year. The fans are fed up.

It wouldn't be free to the club and never can be, even if it's in the season ticket. The home club still has to compensate the other parties. You could do this and I accept some clubs must, but there are logistical issues. You would still need to issue match tickets to work out how much to pay the opposition and the FA; or pay them on the basis of vouchers taken at the turnstiles, which would be messy if you had a big draw, i.e. you couldn't resell unwanted seats without getting the voucher back in advance and that would probably require a buy-back scheme as an incentive, in which case you're back where you started.

The fundamental problem is that you are forcing up the season ticket price for a game that most don't want to buy and which may not take place at all, then splitting the extra revenue four ways. And it still won't stop the manager putting out a weaker team, which is actually the root of the problem.

Fair enough Airman but what we are doing regarding the F.A. Cup isn't working is it? So all we are saying is "Do something different to encourage people to come and maybe the club will treat the competition as something worth playing in" It's easy to come up with loads of reasons for not doing something maybe the enregy could be used to find a positive solution instead. By the way this is soemthing that has gone on for a long while and I don't particularly push any blame onto CP for this.

I don't have the answers, I'm afraid, and as I've been relieved of any responsibility for finding them I'm not going to worry too much about that. I've just tried to explain why the options are more limited than people may think. I'm also not blaming Chris Powell - it's a deeper problem than that. I'd be more concerned if we'd played our best team and still performed like that.
    Did they ever get back to you on your appeal ... communicated by raven?
  • Options
    If CAFC continues to climb 5-10 places every year then a cup run might be worthwhile to the club but right now we have had injury problems in certain positions and have certain players who are sorely missed when suspended...
    And from the players perspective, well they either have 6 or 18 months to run on their contracts so do not want to screw up a renewal chance by getting injured in a game that the club don't care about -

It is all about the league because the prize of promotion gives us all 19 home cup finals and makes millions for the owners, (some) players, agents...

Put it another way, when people are asked about Charlton's biggest game in recent years it is either the return to the Valley (thank you Valley Party by the way!) or the Play off final
  • Options
    Fair enough but we don't exactly have so much as a cup semi final to compare. Nobody else has a Back to the Valley moment to cherish though.
  • Options
    bump - just thought this was worth revisiting with the benefit of Jan league results and the financials