Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Malaysia Airlines Plane

A Malaysia airlines plane has been reported shot down / crashed close to the Russia / Ukraine border. Any links possibly to the missing one or coincidence.

Comments

• That does not sound good.
  • BBC reporting Lost contact.
  • Ukraine claiming shot down by rebels (on Bloomberg TV)
  • Reuters and Bloomberg say it was shot down
  • MrOneLung said:

Ukraine claiming shot down by rebels (on Bloomberg TV)

Parden my ignorance but are the rebels Russian citizens or Ukranian?
  • Would they have the weapons to shoot down a commercial flight flying that high???
  • From the Telegraph's report:

16.36 Our Washington correspondent, Raf Sanchez, has the following observation:
    It's still not clear what happened to today's Malaysia Airlines flight but last night, as the US announced new sanctions on Russia, American officials suggested Russian weapons were behind the downing of a Ukrainian transport aircraft on Monday. Here's what they had to say:
    "On July 14th, Ukrainians lost an An-26 transport jet, which was shot down from an altitude of 21,000 feet, with eight crew on board. And only very sophisticated weapons systems would be able to reach this height."
  • MrOneLung said:

Ukraine claiming shot down by rebels (on Bloomberg TV)

Parden my ignorance but are the rebels Russian citizens or Ukranian?
    Believe they are Ukrainian but looking to do a Crimea an become part of Mother Russia
  • Sponsored links:

• Malaysian Airlines again. Conspiracy theorists awake!
  • Those poor people. I think Russia has a lot to answer for over this. RIP
  • Hmmm. Something stinks about all of this but too early to start judging.

Most importantly, looking like lots of innocent lives lost. RIP all of them.
  • RIP to all those poor lost souls. Absolutely shocking news.

And i am guessing goodbye to Malaysian airlines.

• Surface-to-air missile apparently.
  • It sounds like something out of a computer game plot, hard to believe what I'm hearing.

Thoughts go to the family of those innocent people caught up in the middle of this mess.
  • Horrific news. Why would commercial flights be near the area? It seems that you would avoid an active war zone surely?
  • So, should Russia be banned from world sport....
  • Absolutely awful.

There's going to be a lot of Dutch onboard.
  • MrOneLung said:

So, should Russia be banned from world sport....

They might as well have not been at the World Cup anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• A shared flight with KLM, apparently, so likely Dutch nationals on board. Awful, awful news. The whole world is going bloody mad.
  • edited July 2014
    Addicted said:

Horrific news. Why would commercial flights be near the area? It seems that you would avoid an active war zone surely?

Technically it's not a "warzone" and so a no fly zone hasn't been enacted.

A shared flight with KLM, apparently, so likely Dutch nationals on board. Awful, awful news. The whole world is going bloody mad.

I imagine it will be more than just Dutch and Malaysian citizens onboard as well, which will escalate tensions.
  • As mistrollingin rightly said, the whole world is going bloody mad.

There are an increasing number of countries I wouldn't choose to visit even if I had the cash .....what will it be like for our children & grandchildren ?

Rest in peace all those innocent people involved in this latest tragedy.
  • Think that it's pretty unlikely that it's shot down as it's over 30k feet high up and isn't a threat to the rebels...
  • As mistrollingin rightly said, the whole world is going bloody mad.

There are an increasing number of countries I wouldn't choose to visit even if I had the cash .....what will it be like for our children & grandchildren ?

Rest in peace all those innocent people involved in this latest tragedy.

Thankfully at the moment Fanny, my three beautiful grandchildren are being bought up in a safe, loving environment in deepest Kent.

As you say, the big fear is when they eventually go out into the big wide world and start traveling on their own and begin to see a very different and darker world to the one they are so happy in at the moment.

• MrLargo said:

From the Telegraph's report:

16.36 Our Washington correspondent, Raf Sanchez, has the following observation:
    It's still not clear what happened to today's Malaysia Airlines flight but last night, as the US announced new sanctions on Russia, American officials suggested Russian weapons were behind the downing of a Ukrainian transport aircraft on Monday. Here's what they had to say:
    "On July 14th, Ukrainians lost an An-26 transport jet, which was shot down from an altitude of 21,000 feet, with eight crew on board. And only very sophisticated weapons systems would be able to reach this height."

This
    I don't think one can use the term rebels and imagine someone in a bandanna pointing an RPG up in the sky at a plane flying at 30,000 feet. Perhaps some clowns have got hold of some high tech weaponry but I would assume today's surveillance will be able to tell key governments what happened. I really hope that US and European diplomats engage Putin at the highest level to manage this situation.
  • Got a call from my travel agent to change my flights in Sept to KL from Malaysian airlines to Singapore. I tjought nriliamt idea cancek and rebook as noone will wanna fly them and be some great deals!! He said no, there won't be a Malaysian airlines by then!!!