Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Malaysia Airlines Plane

Comments

• Options
    I've just clicked lol by accident , how can you delete it ?
  • Options

Just been told that some family were booked onto the Flight yet there had been a mistake and there weren't enough seats so they had to be put on to a later one...

There's another story about an unfortunate steward who died because he swapped shifts onto the flight - but in a bizarre twist, his wife is only alive because she swapped shifts OFF of the previous Malaysian airlines disaster 4 months ago.
    @charltonaddictedmatt

Lol... Really ?

Sorry, I don't get why this is a 'Lol'.
    Apart from this not being a 'Lol' topic, the story came from bbc news feed, so I have no reason to doubt it. Also what's charltonaddictedmatt got to do with it?
    Am I missing something?
    charltonaddictedmatt "lol"ed your comment.

Others found that inappropriate.

I assumed it was a mistake but if not it can be filed along with the other classless, crass, irrelevant, agenda driven comments that some of our posters feel are appropriate in the wake of such an awful situation.
  • Options
    Shag said:

I've just clicked lol by accident , how can you delete it ?

Just click it again @Shag.
  • Options
    Thanks mate , done
  • Options
    Just seen another story that a family who lost relatives on the missing plane have also lost family on this one. Awful.
  • Options
    A terrifying way to die. How can we (the human race) be so cruel to each other?
  • Options
    Not to lessen the horrific event in any way, but it may be that the missile was fired towards what they thought was a military transport plane.
    The intent therefore may have been against what the shooters thought was a justifiable military target.

I am very suprised that a 'rebel' unit would have access to weaponry capable of reaching targets at 30,000 feet.

I am also bitterly disappointed that Malaysian Airlines fly over this area. I used this route scores of times a decade ago - a look at the excellent FlightRadar24 website, which tracks every airbourne commercial flight shows for example that many of the flights out of KL are going much much further north.

It's a slight positive, but it's very fortunate the debris did not land on the nearby settlements
  • Options

Not to lessen the horrific event in any way, but it may be that the missile was fired towards what they thought was a military transport plane.
    The intent therefore may have been against what the shooters thought was a justifiable military target.

I am very suprised that a 'rebel' unit would have access to weaponry capable of reaching targets at 30,000 feet.

I am also bitterly disappointed that Malaysian Airlines fly over this area. I used this route scores of times a decade ago - a look at the excellent FlightRadar24 website, which tracks every airbourne commercial flight shows for example that many of the flights out of KL are going much much further north.

It's a slight positive, but it's very fortunate the debris did not land on the nearby settlements

It seems that it is a case of mistaken identity. Does FlightRadar24 include previous flights? Most have been diverted away from the area now.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Not sure if mentioned but two Newcastle United fans, following the team on tour, have been confirmed as on the flight

Just seen this on Facebook as an ex boss of mine knew them.RIP.

• Options

Just been told that some family were booked onto the Flight yet there had been a mistake and there weren't enough seats so they had to be put on to a later one...

There's another story about an unfortunate steward who died because he swapped shifts onto the flight - but in a bizarre twist, his wife is only alive because she swapped shifts OFF of the previous Malaysian airlines disaster 4 months ago.
    @charltonaddictedmatt

Lol... Really ?

Sorry, I don't get why this is a 'Lol'.
    Apart from this not being a 'Lol' topic, the story came from bbc news feed, so I have no reason to doubt it. Also what's charltonaddictedmatt got to do with it?
    Am I missing something?
    charltonaddictedmatt "lol"ed your comment.

Others found that inappropriate.

Ah, I see.
    I thought SHG was lolling it.
    Apologies SHG.
    None needed.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 Newcastle fans on board travelling to New Zealand to watch them play. So sad.
    Terrible news for all the families who have lost loved ones.
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    Was the plane where it should be ?--------YES
    Were they any restrictions on flying across that area ?____________ NO
    Did the so called separatists gloat that they had brought down another "bird" ?------------YES
    Did the above gloat about how good the new rockets supplied by Russia were ?-------YES

what can we do about it ? ---------------------naff all although something should

Israel invade gaza hours after the above.A coincidence ?----------------NEVER

RIP to the dead

• Options
    I guess he's trying to say that Israel used a bad news day to invade Gaza knowing it would barely get a mention anywhere.
  • Options
    He has worded that terribly. Making it all sound planned which is mental. Israel may well have done as Large has said but very much doubt they had a hand in shooting this plane down.
  • Options
    Every right minded civilised country should cease all trade with Russia ..I
  • Options
    Iran has been sanctioned for much less

• Options
    lolwray said:

And do without all the oil that they rely on from there too I suppose?
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Sadly a lot of countries will not be able to do that.
    They export 150 billion cubic metres of gas to Europe.
    It's fairly clear that Europe would be facing a major energy crisis if trade ceased.
    ....and we all know who would be worst affected - the poorest.

This creates discontent....and who wins that game?
    Putin - just look at the Ukraine for the model of this.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

The problem doing that - any kind of public sanctions- is that it stirs up the natural chippyness of ordinary Russians, who don't benefit from a free press. However if HMRC right now, but quietly, open an investigation into Abramovics tax status and liabilities, that would hit Putin right in the balls. And he cannot say anything because ordinary Russians despise oligarchs like RA as much as I do.

Writing to ones MP suggesting such an action would not do any harm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont think Israel is too bothered about bad PR.
  • Options
    I was about to board a flight from dalaman to gatwick when I we'd the news. Which wasn't brilliant.

It's madness and can only see worse happening.

Words can't described how gutted I felt when I saw this picture.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I dont think Israel is too bothered about bad PR.

This.
    Doesnt concern Israel whatsoever. They will still have their financial backing, ie USA.
  • Options
    I see The Metro has discovered my favourite 'slack moment' website.

• Options
    "what the actual fuck" Leroy OK i`ll spell it out.

Israel was THINKING of going into Gaza --they had pulled up the troups /tanks etc--- when the tragic news came through about the air plane being blown out the sky its " lets go and NOW"----why ? because the news from around the World will focus is on the plane and who did it not what Israel is doing in Gaza--------Thats the UN-----the USA and the whole of the EU.
    Do they give a fuck ? maybe not---but always better to deflect the attention , its hiding bad news under worse news.
  • Options
    Finally the sad confirmation we expected.

US President Barack Obama has said a surface-to-air missile fired from a rebel-held area in east Ukraine brought down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.

The plane crashed on Thursday, killing all 298 people on board.

Mr Obama called the attack "an outrage of unspeakable proportions", saying he would ensure "the truth is out".

The US and Russia clashed at the UN Security Council, with Russia's envoy putting the blame on Ukraine for its army's attacks on eastern areas.

Some 30 international investigators from the Organization for the Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) reached the crash scene near the village of Grabovo on Friday.

However, Swiss Ambassador to the OSCE Thomas Greminger said the team did not get full access and were stopped by "local illegal armed groups".

• Options
    All of which says a great deal. The world is watching, but this all looks like the muddying of the waters has begun.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see if Putin will admit, and take responsibility for, the actions of the Russian Separatists. Or whether he will continue to blame Ukraine. His actions will speak a 1000 words and will show what his intentions really are. Scary/interesting times, depending on your disposition.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Rob said:

It'll be interesting to see if Putin will admit, and take responsibility for, the actions of the Russian Separatists. Or whether he will continue to blame Ukraine. His actions will speak a 1000 words and will show what his intentions really are. Scary/interesting times, depending on your disposition.

I can't see Putin taking any form of responsibility.

The state run TV out there (Russia Today / RT) has had two high profile journalists/presenters leave due to the "lies" and feeling as though they work for Putin. One went on a tirade on twitter, I hope she's OK to be honest.

No, for all the macho bullshit associated with Putin he won't have the balls to do the honourable thing. He has his back well and truly covered.

It would be interesting if only to demonstrate how powerless we (Europe) are at the hands of Russia. He could say and do as he pleases but we still need them unfortunately.