Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Ipswich post match views 2015/16

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    DRAddick said:

So according to the FL highlights, our "highlight" or the first half was a long range shot that hit our own player who then fell over to a round of cheers. Brilliant.

That did hit him hard in fairness but the shot looked like it was going out for a throw.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Welly said:

60years of watching Charlton one of the most abject centre forward displays
    I can remember,for a big fella powder puff.

He is a clown. His one discernible attribute is his aerial ability and you know what? He's not even that good in the air. Saturday was embarrassing, although admittedly not just him.

However I remember a few on here who shot down those who suggested he wouldn't get double figures - I personally don't think he'll even get five.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Can't remember who said it but a few weeks ago when Big Mak was getting the plaudits, someone on here went against the grain and claimed he was actually very poor, especially in regard to his positioning as a centre forward. The poster got pelters but having watched him closely today I think we can all agree that he had/has a point. FFS attack the ball, jump, anticipate where the ball is coming in etc

Awful performance!!

Don't think it was me but I've always thought he was criminally overrated to be honest. Decent second half against Hull aside. He has his uses but Christ, what a limited footballer.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

So according to the FL highlights, our "highlight" or the first half was a long range shot that hit our own player who then fell over to a round of cheers. Brilliant.

Ha, forgot about that. Was funny though!
  • Options
    Will leave non football stuff to other threads but...

KF showed his lack of experience today. We cant set up like that. Very poorly thought out overall tactically - though slightly better in the second half. This is not a manager who will save us as he doesn't have the knowledge or ability.

Yes Lookman and THD looked decent prospects compared to the rest of the team but didn't really think anyone stood out. The fact they were probably our best 2 solely because they put effort in is sad.

Sarr, Solly and Big Mak were particularly shite. Every time I talk a player up in the week they end up playing poorly.

We should start Vaz Te in the middle of a front 3, sit back with 2 defensive mids and play with pace along the floor on the counter.
  • Options
    Have said it a number of times, we should play a back 5 with wingbacks. Holmes-Dennis and Solly bombing down getting crosses in and 3 centre-backs to stop us getting slaughtered like we have been.

-----------Hendo
    ------Sarr - Bauer - Diarra
    Solly-------------------THD
    -------Cousins - Jacko
    -------------JBG
    -------Vaz-Te - Lookman

For me in the next game
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Will leave non football stuff to other threads but...

KF showed his lack of experience today. We cant set up like that. Very poorly thought out overall tactically - though slightly better in the second half. This is not a manager who will save us as he doesn't have the knowledge or ability.

Yes Lookman and THD looked decent prospects compared to the rest of the team but didn't really think anyone stood out. The fact they were probably our best 2 solely because they put effort in is sad.

Sarr, Solly and Big Mak were particularly shite. Every time I talk a player up in the week they end up playing poorly.

We should start Vaz Te in the middle of a front 3, sit back with 2 defensive mids and play with pace along the floor on the counter.

Agree that Vaz Te probably has the attributes to be the lone strike but what do we do after 40 mins when he blows out?
  • Options
    Having just watched the highlights I didn't realise how bad the foul was on Solly for their first. Their second was down to a deflection and the third purely down to bad defending but only just crept in after Henderson got a hand on it.
    3-0 did flatter Ipswich however badly we played. VazTe has to start instead of Mak if fit - looks a better all round player
    Ipswich played to their strengths however limited their style is
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Yes, Saturday was a real disappointment, but on the Richter scale of bad performances it didn't even feature in my 52 years of watching Charlton. In fact at 2-0 down I was convinced, on the balance of play, that had we just pulled one back I thought the game was still there for the taking. Obviously the third goal extinguished all hope. What I didn't see were heads dropping. Charlton continued to take the game to Ipswich and, but for their keeper making some excellent saves, we could easily had one or two consolation goals. I've seen some shockers over the years and I instinctively know when a team is heading for relegation (I've never been wrong on that one) - they always have a kiss of death about them. This side doesn't - it created a hatful of chances and enjoyed large passages of the play. Even Mick McCarthy admitted the scoreline flattered Ipswich and who am I to disagree with him. Unlike many of you I am more than convinced the team will turn this round.

What a pleasure to hear some positive feedback - my ITFC colleagues here reckon we looked reasonable, really like Lookman and commented that JJ getting clattered clearly changed the game.
    They refuse to accept that Tommy Smith's forearm smash on Solly for the first goal was a foul - put it down to strong play by the Town player - lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Awful performance. We were outplayed and completely outmuscled. The way Solly was handed off for the first goal was embarrassing.

The way he was handed off in the face was a foul but the rules of the game weren't considered to be applicable by the ref or east stand lino for the first half.
    Didn't effect the outcome however, Ipswich's victory was practically assured by the lightweight squad from which Carol gets to pick, his inexplicable selections from that squad and the withdrawal of labour by one of the 11, G*dm*nss*n for those of you in doubt.
  • Options

I would find it hard to say who was the worst player. There were no best. I dont give a toss who the manager is. At this level players should not need extra coaching to motivate them to play better than that.

Presumably, you didn't watch the game then ?

Lookman was clearly best & worst was a close fought contest between Fox, Sarr & Makienok.
    this
  • Options

Yes, Saturday was a real disappointment, but on the Richter scale of bad performances it didn't even feature in my 52 years of watching Charlton. In fact at 2-0 down I was convinced, on the balance of play, that had we just pulled one back I thought the game was still there for the taking. Obviously the third goal extinguished all hope. What I didn't see were heads dropping. Charlton continued to take the game to Ipswich and, but for their keeper making some excellent saves, we could easily had one or two consolation goals. I've seen some shockers over the years and I instinctively know when a team is heading for relegation (I've never been wrong on that one) - they always have a kiss of death about them. This side doesn't - it created a hatful of chances and enjoyed large passages of the play. Even Mick McCarthy admitted the scoreline flattered Ipswich and who am I to disagree with him. Unlike many of you I am more than convinced the team will turn this round.

If we'd started with Reza and Vaz Te up front, the scoreline would have been a lot closer as with their pace and movement they cause the Ipswich defence far more problems than Mak did.
  • Options

If we'd started with Reza and Vaz Te up front, the scoreline would have been a lot closer as with their pace and movement they cause the Ipswich defence far more problems than Mak did.
    You may well be right. Reza, Vaz Te and Lookman should start on Saturday.
  • Options

As we stand I expect us to be relegated. This group of players are not equipped for a relegation scrap and nor is the manager.

Is there any hope ? Only if we appoint an experienced manager and sign four decent championship hardened players in January.

I'm not expecting either to happen.

In league one our crowds will be down to 7000. It's a tough division to get out of and nigh on impossible with Roland persisting in his lunatic experiment.

Not sure where we go from here.

Duchatelet will make short term adjustments to his core approach, as he has in the past. That might even include an experienced manager until the end of the season, depending on the next few results. The question is whether it will be too little too late this time. But even if we survive he'll revert to the same nonsense again afterwards, I would think, because that's the only interest he has in owning the club.
    Looking at the table, it's unlikely we will be stranded at Christmas, but in the bottom 3 or at best the bottom 6. Bolton have no win in 11, Huddersfield no win in 6, while the other teams around us have the same number of wins in the last 10 matches as we have.

The 2 home games vs Leeds and Bolton in 4 days are crucial though. Our midweek form is shocking though...
    Our Saturday results are not much better either.
    All 4 of our wins have been Saturday 3pm kickoffs.

On Tuesday after our draw with Forest, we've lost at home to Huddersfield and Preston, and away to MKD! That's 3 very winnable games against "relegation rivals" from which we've taken nothing.
  • Options
    The difference for me was an experienced championship manager with a well drilled team of experienced championship players.
    Charlton a manager with little championship experience and a team with little championship experience with and no leadership,guile,passion and rudderless.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Well, in fact I do have something more to say. My father watched the second half with me and after the final whistle he asked 'Why do you support this team? How did you become a fan? They looked so so poor and showed no will to fight. ' My answer: 'We certainly weren't like this when Curbs was here! I would never have become a fan if the team had been playing like this back then!'

Wait, Charlton aren't your local team ?
    Sorry I didn't mention I'm Chinese! I live in a city called Wuxi which is near Shanghai. I have never been to England. There's no local football club here in my city and Charlton is the one and only club I've been supporting since 2004.
    So ever since you joined it's been going downhill?? It's your fault! We've found the curse! #JessieOut

Kidding! :)
  • Options

It's hard to call that - the performance of fresh strikers towards the end of the game isn't an indication of how they would have played from the off (at 0-0).

I said at the time though and I stand by it; they weren't that much better than us, certainly not 3 goals better.

Mak was cack though.

I just wish his name was Mash.
  • Options
    what has happened to solly got pushed of the ball for the first goal mind you could not watch how they play every week they should move the goals into sky even in the pre warm up they were seeing how high they could kick it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree. Not the worst I've seen by any means and actually a good illustration of how frightening slim the margins are between getting a result (of any kind) and defeat in the Championship today. We started ok, went flat when Jackson went off and then conceded twice - both defensive blunders, but in very windy conditions. In the second half we were actually quite good for long stretches, particularly after Reza came on. 55 points will definitely keep us up, so we need 39 from 28 games (slightly less than half the maximum). In other words: if we can manage average form we will easily stay up. We might even do it with less as Rotherham survived last season with 46.

The problem we have is that no one can be certain Fraeye is good enough to deliver this. And.....we need 2/3 extra defenders of a standard compatible with a good Championship side.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

It's hard to call that - the performance of fresh strikers towards the end of the game isn't an indication of how they would have played from the off (at 0-0).

I said at the time though and I stand by it; they weren't that much better than us, certainly not 3 goals better.

Mak was cack though.

I just wish his name was Mash.
    After 5 minutes of the Wednesday game, you could see they were weak in the air and we would profit that way.

After 5 minutes of the Ipswich game, you could see they were dominant in the air at both ends and that their defence could cope with high balls all day long. And then Jackson went off, reducing out aerial threat even more. They had typical British style CBs, dominant in the air, but far more vulnerable against pace and movement which is what Vaz Te, along with Lookman and Reza provided
  • Options

Our defending is atrocious. Many of us have long said that Fox is way out of his depth, even at this mediocre level. Our centre-backs go AWOL; they stood gawping in the box while the Ipswich player fluffed his first attempt, retrieved the ball, and set up goal number one. The second goal resulted from Diarra's unchallenged twelve-yard 'clearance' - straight to the opposition. For Ipswich's third, there was an ocean of vacant space in our right-back position.

The fact that Ipswich aren't a tremendously impressive team makes our heavy defeat even worse. Not one of our midfielders has the strength or ability to secure a place in a team challenging for the play-offs. Gudmundsson? Has scored a few direct free-kicks, but not much else. Cousins? No.

Ricardo Vaz Te was more of a threat in 45 minutes than Makienok has been all season. Vaz Te got into position to challenge for crosses and unleashed a dangerous shot. It's comical that a man of 6ft 7ins can't win a ball in the air, let alone make a simple lay-off accurately. Lookman is lively, but will fizzle out after a few games; like many of our young players, he is too small, too slight.

I was impressed by the poster protest: hope it was shown on the box. The half-time entertainment was provided by Mr Jonathon Acworth, who visited us in the Lower North, bearing good news. He and Darren Pitcher are "meeting in a restaurant" this week to finalise their plans for buying the club.

All those years ago when we used to laugh at his bonkers suggestions in VOTV, turns out we'd probably all be better off now if he was in charge. At least there's a high chance we'd have wound up with Vardy up front....

Not Pitcher though, he can nob off....
  • Options
    http://www.twtd.co.uk/match-ratings/rating/match:14654/
    Interesting view from the Ipswich end.
    We really weren't that bad!