Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

...so, Walk In The Mill has little chance then, you think?

I wouldn't say that @meldrew66
    The fact is a horse (like WITM), never tried at the trip (not beyond 25.5f in his case), could spring a massive surprise in these conditions, because the oppo will be thinned-out. Maybe he's made for it.
    Gilgamboa had never run beyond 25f but saw out the trip with 11.01 to finish a fine 4th on Soft in 2016.
    Never say never but, for me, it's all about "percentages". If there are enough in the race with proven form over 3.5m+ on testing ground and all-round good stat-profiles and (at least formerly) available at value-prices, I'd rather be with them in these conditions.
    He's by Walk In the Park (sire of Douvan and others who goes on all manner of ground) so you'd like to think a soft surface wouldn't disadvantage him. You can forgive him the PU on "Haydock Heavy" behind The Dutchman - that's unique ground that plenty of decent stayers don't go on. He's won at 3m and ran well behind Gold Present and will have a lovely weight. If you have him at a big price enjoy the ride!
  • Options

I don’t want to sound too confident as poor bobmunro lost his years bonus on one of my other horses Oxford Blu at Cheltenham.....................
    I just hope we get more luck in running after Oxford Blu nearly getting brought down at Cheltenham and having to be pulled up not lying after.
    To be honest this really is living the dream having runners at both the Cheltenham and Aintree Festivals

Blimey - fancy losing a million quid on one horse!
    That guy who lost £500k on Douvan last year sticks long, LONG in the memory!
  • Options

Off to Aintree tomorrow as one of my horses runs in the mares bumper
    Duhallow Gesture

All the best.
  • Options
    Yes addick current stable form a worry especially with Duhallow,Ms Parfous and Regal Encore all hopeful of big runs
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Just looking at it from a current value perspective, it seems bonkers to me that if you're going to ignore the age stat (and it is easier on paper to ignore it at the upper end), Raz De Maree (33/1) is twice the price of Baie Des Iles (16/1).
    Both with similar gap since (very good) last run but RDM did put in a sprint finish in both Welsh GNs, the second on testing ground, the first on Soft but in which BDI was >20L behind. True BDI gave him 7lbs that day and receives 1lb on Saturday and true that the race could show BDI at her best but the way he finished RDM could have gone around Chepstow again both times.
    I like them both (a lot) but, at current prices and assuming the ground stays predominantly Soft, RDM is the pick of the two for me and still great e/w value. He has completed a GN before (very respectably given the ground).
    Then again it is the "Year of the Woman",...... as Mrs M keeps reminding me.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Of course, the irony of the Red Marauder GN, run on virtually unraceable ground, is that Red Marauder had never won a chase beyond 2 miles 5 furlongs and no race at 3m+. He'd failed 4 times in 3m+ chases and fallen at Bechers first-circuit in the previous GN.
    Pre-model days but I was on Smarty (and others) that day and I remember thinking when it was just the pair of them left standing that all he has to do is get round (he only had 10.00 to carry - no way Red Marauder was going to outstay him) ....... what do I know? Nonetheless, it was a farce of a race.
    So, what about 2018?
    Cardinal rule for using trends in the GN: NEVER eliminate a runner purely on 1 stat.
    They said Mon Mome couldn't win because he was French-bred. No French-bred winner to date - yes but there had been several who had come mighty close, e.g. close 2nds (

This is astonishing research. Of course, it helps that Peanuts probably wasn't seven years old like I was for Red Marauder, but this is absolutely phenomenal work.
    You're too kind @PaddyP17
    The proof of the pudding ........ as they say.
  • Options

Just looking at it from a current value perspective, it seems bonkers to me that if you're going to ignore the age stat (and it is easier on paper to ignore it at the upper end), Raz De Maree (33/1) is twice the price of Baie Des Iles (16/1).
    Both with similar gap since (very good) last run but RDM did put in a sprint finish in both Welsh GNs, the second on testing ground, the first on Soft but in which BDI was >20L behind. True BDI gave him 7lbs that day and receives 1lb on Saturday and true that the race could show BDI at her best but the way he finished RDM could have gone around Chepstow again both times.
    I like them both (a lot) but, at current prices and assuming the ground stays predominantly Soft, RDM is the pick of the two for me and still great e/w value. He has completed a GN before (very respectably given the ground).
    Then again it is the "Year of the Woman",...... as Mrs M keeps reminding me.

agreed, I got Raz at 40/1 which I thought was very nice EW value.
  • Options
    I have already backed Milansbar but the heavier/softer the ground is the more my confidence grows.
  • Options
    I still come on here just to catch up with this thread. Fantastic insight thank you! I've backed a few of the horses mentioned (Houblon Des Obeaux, Milansbar, Baie Des Iles and Raz De Maree). Hopefully we are all happy come 18:30 Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I have a few bets for the lead up, 2 from a tipster on twitter who smashed cheltenham and other week won me a hundred quid, mate won £500 and he doesn't often do short odds.
    His tips: Doitforthevillage tomorrow @ 12/1 16:40
    & Ms Parfois 8/1 Friday 14:50

Anyone want to follow at your own risk but has a great recent record since i have been following on twiiter: profprofitable.

I have bet one one more as a random one i just picked out myself
    Clan Des Obeaux @ 16/1 - Runs tomorrow @ 14:50

3rd one avoid as i haven't really looked into it just a small bet as name jumped out to me :) normally my best hope rather than looking at form etc.
  • Options

I have a few bets for the lead up, 2 from a tipster on twitter who smashed cheltenham and other week won me a hundred quid, mate won £500 and he doesn't often do short odds.

Anyone want to follow at your own risk but has a great recent record since i have been following on twiiter: profprofitable.

3rd one avoid as i haven't really looked into it just a small bet as name jumped out to me :) normally my best hope rather than looking at form etc.

Profprofitable, isn't it? Good mate of mine, don't know why he doesn't act as himself and goes by the name "Charles Valentine" hahahaha
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Of course, the irony of the Red Marauder GN, run on virtually unraceable ground, is that Red Marauder had never won a chase beyond 2 miles 5 furlongs and no race at 3m+. He'd failed 4 times in 3m+ chases and fallen at Bechers first-circuit in the previous GN.
    Pre-model days but I was on Smarty (and others) that day and I remember thinking when it was just the pair of them left standing that all he has to do is get round (he only had 10.00 to carry - no way Red Marauder was going to outstay him) ....... what do I know? Nonetheless, it was a farce of a race.
    So, what about 2018?
    Cardinal rule for using trends in the GN: NEVER eliminate a runner purely on 1 stat.
    They said Mon Mome couldn't win because he was French-bred. No French-bred winner to date - yes but there had been several who had come mighty close, e.g. close 2nds (

This is astonishing research. Of course, it helps that Peanuts probably wasn't seven years old like I was for Red Marauder, but this is absolutely phenomenal work.
    And if we go back over the GN threads over the years, your model clearly works. Keep printing money please!

The tipster I referred to above, by the way, did in fact say the following:

"One of the best racing things I have ever been sent mate! That’s fantastic! What commitment!"
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Profprofitable, isn't it? Good mate of mine, don't know why he doesn't act as himself and goes by the name "Charles Valentine" hahahaha
    Thats one one, yep his name is on there just thats his twitter alias. Started following around Cheltenham and followed up with another good result which i followed.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I don’t want to sound too confident as poor bobmunro lost his years bonus on one of my other horses Oxford Blu at Cheltenham.....................
    I just hope we get more luck in running after Oxford Blu nearly getting brought down at Cheltenham and having to be pulled up not lying after.
    To be honest this really is living the dream having runners at both the Cheltenham and Aintree Festivals

Easy come, easy go ;-)
    BOB MUNRO NO! We will not let you go (Let him go!)
    365! We will not let you go (Let him go!)

Cos Bob Munro, has an offshore Cayman Islands bank account set aside for my winnings...

---------------------

Hm. It's a slow day at work.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

So, what about 2018?

And if we go back over the GN threads over the years, your model clearly works. Keep printing money please!

The tipster I referred to above, by the way, did in fact say the following:

"One of the best racing things I have ever been sent mate! That’s fantastic! What commitment!"
    Cheers Chief.
    My model's had its moments but this could be the year it careers off the road and ends up a smoldering wreck. Sincere apologies in advance to everyone who's followed it if so.
  • Options
    Pafc said:

I still come on here just to catch up with this thread. Fantastic insight thank you! I've backed a few of the horses mentioned (Houblon Des Obeaux, Milansbar, Baie Des Iles and Raz De Maree). Hopefully we are all happy come 18:30 Saturday!

I know the going is soft-ish and more rain forecast, but I hope to be happy by 17:30
  • Options
    I'm on 5 each ways thanks to all the good advice on this thread, and if just one is placed I'm guaranteed to break even.
    Even if nothing is, it's a fascinating thread, and the enjoyment of following it will be worth the small loss*. Thanks to all contributors.

* I may not feel like that at six o clock on Saturday
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

bobmunro said:

Easy come, easy go ;-)
    BOB MUNRO NO! We will not let you go (Let him go!)
    365! We will not let you go (Let him go!)

Cos Bob Munro, has an offshore Cayman Islands bank account set aside for my winnings his retirement...

---------------------

Hm. It's a slow day at work.
    Very good - although one small correction!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Peanuts - any thoughts on the chances of Alpha Des Obeaux...?

Sorry I missed this earlier Chief.
    Bit short of time but in a nutshell, I have to say I'm always reluctant to back a horse in any chase, let alone a GN on soft, that is prone to bleed.
    I could be proven wrong but that is one stat that for me is virtually a red line. For the same reason, I can't have Gold Present or The Dutchman either.
    Leaving that aside, though he was unlucky in the Irish GN last year (badly hampered early, finished 8th 32L), his general 3m+ chase stats don't make compelling reading. Yet to win (or near-miss by my definition = <4L) and only once made the frame in 9 attempts - though that was a good 2nd to Total Recall in the Munster National (giving TR 16lbs for a 7L defeat - gets 1lb from TR on Saturday).
    He just doesn't tick any of my boxes to be honest and, though well treated with Total Recall, neither are exactly carrying a light weight - but please don't let me put you off if you fancy him. I know it's difficult to imagine but I could be wrong :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like only Gold Present not declared
  • Options
    Road To Riches #40
  • Options
    Bet 365 half stake back. Lovely.
  • Options
    Minella Rocco
    Blaklion
    Anibale Fly
    The Last Samuri
    Valseur Lido
    Total Recall
    Alpha Des Obeaux
    Perfect Candidate
    Shantou Flyer
    Tenor Nivernais
    Carlingford Lough
    Vicente
    Tiger Roll
    Regal Encore
    Vieux Lion Rouge
    Chase The Spud
    Warriors Take
    Seeyouatmidnight
    Gas Line Boy
    The Dutchman
    Pleasant Company
    Ucello Conti
    Saint Are
    Beeves
    Raz De Maree
    I Just Know
    Virgilio
    Baie Des Iles
    Maggio
    Pendra
    Buywise
    Childrens List
    Lord Windermere
    Captain Redbeard
    Houblon Des Obeaux
    Bless The Wings
    Milansbar
    Final Nudge
    Double Ross
    Road To Riches

Reserves: Thunder And Roses, Delusionofgrandeur, Walk In The Mill and Vintage Clouds.
  • Options
    Walk In The Mill set to miss out by 3! Sigh!
  • Options

Surely total recall is going to win , i loved that film!

Long time since I've seen it.
    What happened at the end?

• Options
    CHG said:

Bet 365 half stake back. Lovely.

Cracking offer again.
  • Options
    Haven't managed to follow this... Slipped off the radar. Who are the winners for the GN @PeanutsMolloy?
  • Options
    going does not look too bad based on first two races
  • Options
    Lucy Verasamy just predicted the going will be soft