Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    CAFCsayer said:

Haven't managed to follow this... Slipped off the radar. Who are the winners for the GN @PeanutsMolloy?

I'll do a summary (if you're interested) tomorrow but, in a nutshell, assuming that reserve #4 (Vintage Clouds) doesn't line up (unlikely), these are the 6 carrying my shillings (all each way 5 places 1/4 odds, though you can get 6 places 1/5 odds with some bookies if you prefer). I backed them all at 50~125/1 but I’m afraid prices have shortened massively for some. In race card order:

Raz De Maree (best price currently 33/1)
    I Just Know (25/1)
    Baie Des Iles (16/1)
    Houblon Des Obeaux (50/1)
    Milansbar (33/1)
    Final Nudge (66/1)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Time of Foxhunters 5m 49 secs - broadly consistent with official going of Soft. Going Stick reading today for the GN course at 10am was 4.3.
    Jockies reporting it heavy around the Canal Turn, as expected.
  • Options
    Aintree don't want the ground any faster for safety reasons.

I'm on the Peanuts 6, and I see there are a few "good causes" on the forum at the moment - so fingers crossed for the selections and a share of the loot.
  • Options
    len90 said:

Lucy Verasamy just predicted the going will be soft

• Options
    The going is never soft with Lucy Verasamy.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

Haven't managed to follow this... Slipped off the radar. Who are the winners for the GN @PeanutsMolloy?

I'll do a summary (if you're interested) tomorrow but, in a nutshell, assuming that reserve #4 (Vintage Clouds) doesn't line up (unlikely), these are the 6 carrying my shillings (all each way 5 places 1/4 odds, though you can get 6 places 1/5 odds with some bookies if you prefer). I backed them all at 50~125/1 but I’m afraid prices have shortened massively for some. In race card order:

I Just Know (25/1)
    Baie Des Iles (16/1)
    Milansbar (33/1)
    Final Nudge (66/1)
    We are on... Thanks in advance for winnings
  • Options
    @killer kish Congrats on that as a place! Great effort there!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I didn't see where he came, i was on in lucky 31 ew and possbly small single EW.

Well done @killer kish
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I didn't see where he came, i was on in lucky 31 ew and possbly small single EW.

Well done @killer kish
    Third, having made pretty much every stride until one and a half furlongs from the end, and wasn't quite able to prevent being headed.

If he's going to be better over jumps then he's definitely going on the horse tracker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only slightly up on lucky 31, 3 places out of 5. Shame
    Treble got 2 / 3 one running tomorrow Ms Parfois, EW but if they can win would be decent as got a single on it @ 7/1 and also treble would come in, 2 places with Doitforthevillage @11 & Clan Des Obeaux @ 16.
    Small return on Doit for single too so not a bad day overall but could be decent if Ms P can do a win tomorrow.
  • Options

Cheers guys,buzzing at the moment
    Trainer adamant she will be better over hurdles/fences,whatever she does in bumpers is a bonus!

Well done killer - you deserved that mate :smile:
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Well done @killer kish
    Third, having made pretty much every stride until one and a half furlongs from the end, and wasn't quite able to prevent being headed.

If he's going to be better over jumps then he's definitely going on the horse tracker!
    He,s been on my list since I discovered that he changed hands for a reputed 100,000 after winning a bumper at Tipp
  • Options
    Cheers Peanuts much appreciated
    And yes that price is correct Starinn
  • Options
    Must admit for one brief moment I dreamt she was going to win
  • Options
    Sorry, what is a bumper?
    Smaller than hurdles
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Sorry, what is a bumper?
    Smaller than hurdles

A national hunt flat race.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Sorry, what is a bumper?
    Smaller than hurdles

A national hunt flat race.
    So named for the often low quality, as horses tend to "bump" into each other
  • Options
    edited April 2018

len90 said:

As CE said above, the going is NEVER soft when "Juicy Lucy" is about!

Well chaps, thanks again. As with previous years, by reading this thread, I have managed to convince a number of unsuspecting fools that I know something about horse racing...

My picks are now on. Good luck to all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m on HDO and Final Nudge both at 50’s for top six.

Good luck all.

• Options
    edited April 2018

CAFCsayer said:

I Just Know (25/1)
    Baie Des Iles (16/1)
    Milansbar (33/1)
    Final Nudge (66/1)
    Thanks PM, fascinating thread again this year, and thanks to all the other significant posters. I got on HDO at 125’s and Final Nudge at 80’s. Kicking myself I did not go BDI earlier as it sounds very promising, it and the others above I got at at a fraction over the prices above.

On Bet365 half stake E/W offer am I correct in saying I can effectively double all their odds? Ie if I wanted to go £5 e/w on a horse and do that now, then what I actually do is go £10 e/w and when they refund me the £10 I can withdraw it straight away?
  • Options
    Better to take 6 places at 1/5 or 5 at 1/4?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    dmjn said:

Say the top six horses all come in with SP of 20/1 and you've staked 10 quid e/w on all six of them.

The bookie paying 5 places at 1/4 will pay out: £270 on the winner, £60, £60, £60, £60 for a total of £510 (minus six lots of £20 so +£390 net)

The bookie paying 6 places at 1/5 will pay out: £260 on the winner, £50, £50, £50, £50, £50 for a total of £510 (minus six lots of £20 so +£390 net)

You're getting a tenner less return per place at six places but all the money that's been saved is being paid out on sixth. I think it works out slightly differently at different odds. I used 20/1 because it divides nicely with 4 and 5. :-)
  • Options
    I see 188BET are going with 8 places at 1/5 but looks like the odds are bumped down a notch to make up for it.
  • Options

len90 said:

Phwoar.....Is that a 762 carriage I see on Blackfriars bridge?!
  • Options
    dmjn said:

It really depends on the win price. A lot will much shorter to compensate for offering extra places.

You can work out expected value from betfair win and place prices. But as a rough guide, use oddschecker and if place going extra place is top price it will be value
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    BBC weather website shows it pissing down at Aintree right now :smiley:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657621
  • Options
    got my 6 at the ready, cheers all for helping me with some of the selections, let hope come 5.30ish tomorrow they all come home safe and we've won some coin.

annibale fly ( doesnt tick many boxes but won me money on the gold cup ) win @ 11/1
    seeyouatmidnight ew @ 33/1
    houblon des obeux ew @ 100/1
    chase the spud ew @ 66/1
    regal encore ew @ 28/1
  • Options
    edited April 2018

got my 6 at the ready, cheers all for helping me with some of the selections, let hope come 5.30ish tomorrow they all come home safe and we've won some coin.

annibale fly ( doesnt tick many boxes but won me money on the gold cup ) win @ 11/1
    houblon des obeux ew @ 100/1
    chase the spud ew @ 66/1
    regal encore ew @ 28/1

Good team and best of luck. He's certainly a persuasive fella that @Addick Addict