Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

got my 6 at the ready, cheers all for helping me with some of the selections, let hope come 5.30ish tomorrow they all come home safe and we've won some coin.

annibale fly ( doesnt tick many boxes but won me money on the gold cup ) win @ 11/1
    seeyouatmidnight ew @ 33/1
    houblon des obeux ew @ 100/1
    chase the spud ew @ 66/1
    seeyouatmidnight ew @ 33/1
    regal encore ew @ 28/1

Good team and best of luck. He's certainly a persuasive fella that @Addick Addict
    So much so that poor @palareshater has ended up backing him twice!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

A polite request please....

There are hundreds of us on this site that love the Grand National and this thread. Every time someone replies to the ‘other thread’ it rises to the top of the forum.

If you have no interest in it, just don’t open it or reply. Let AK and any others just get on with it and it will barely feature. Nothing new will be said in the ‘debate’ that hasn’t been said on the other repeated threads that arise for major horse racing events.

It’s a massive couple of days on the sporting calendar. Those of us that enjoy it, let’s enjoy it!

The problem AFKA is that the petition is a "wolf in sheeps clothing" - as AK effectively admitted when using the same "Motherhood and Apple Pie" appeal, to which nobody would object, to promote it during Cheltenham.
    At least @PaddyP17 has pointed that out on the Aintree thread.
    Can I suggest you remove the link?
  • Options

A polite request please....

There are hundreds of us on this site that love the Grand National and this thread. Every time someone replies to the ‘other thread’ it rises to the top of the forum.

If you have no interest in it, just don’t open it or reply. Let AK and any others just get on with it and it will barely feature. Nothing new will be said in the ‘debate’ that hasn’t been said on the other repeated threads that arise for major horse racing events.

It’s a massive couple of days on the sporting calendar. Those of us that enjoy it, let’s enjoy it!

The problem AFKA is that the petition is a "wolf in sheeps clothing" - as AK effectively admitted when using the same "Motherhood and Apple Pie" tactic to promote it during Cheltenham.
    At least @PaddyP17 has pointed that out on the Aintree thread.
    Can I suggest you remove the link?
    Is it safe to google "Motherhood and Apple Pie" while at work?
  • Options
    I’ll be doing my annual horse racing bet, very technically decided by getting my daughters to choose a horse based on their like of the riders colours.

Here’s hoping for another 66-1 winner at £25 EW like a few years back!!
  • Options
    Have shamelessly followed peanuts and done all ew 5 places
    Final nudge @50
    Milansbar @33
    Bless the wings @50 (put on before the Irish gn)
    houblon des obeaux @125

Might have a bash on seeyouatmidnight as won money for me @100/1 in its first time over hurdles a number of years ago.
  • Options
    Minella Rocco withdrawn. Weights all go up 1lb. Thunder And Roses now last in
  • Options
    Delusionofgrandeur next in line.....then Walk In The Mill.

Think the cut off is 13.00 today.

It's the hope that gets you in the end....
  • Options

Vintage Clouds doesn't have much chance does he? lucky i got NRNB , when will they credit that after the race?
  • Options

Vintage Clouds doesn't have much chance does he? lucky i got NRNB , when will they credit that after the race?
    I would like to think that most firms would try to get it back to your account straightaway in the knowledge that people would then use that money to back another horse in the race.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Today at 1.00pm is the deadline for reserves to step up if there are any withdrawals from the 40 - you should get your stake refunded soon after then.

A point to note though - you would have got your money back even if you hadn't backed it NRNB - all stakes would be refunded if a horse is not allowed to take part because of a restriction on runners.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Today at 1.00pm is the deadline for reserves to step up if there are any withdrawals from the 40 - you should get your stake refunded soon after then.

A point to note though - you would have got your money back even if you hadn't backed it NRNB - all stakes would be refunded if a horse is not allowed to take part because of a restriction on runners.
    This is a key point Bob makes, and one of the reasons I've been lashing away at Walk In The Mill at wild prices on the exchanges. The intention has been for the horse to run so he's been declared, but he's been priced up on him not getting in.

The situation I'm in as a result is if he does get in I've got a great value bet, and if he doesn't then I get my money back. You can do plenty worse than backing horses deemed unlikely to get in to races at silly prices. You only need the odd one to get in that you fancy and you are in a great position.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Log on to my B365 account for first time since last year and they've put a £25 deposit limit on and it wont update until 24hrs after I've asked them to remove it! Bit ridiculous. Any thing I can do to get round it? Other than going to a betting shop?

EDIT - apparently there is not, so I've used my PP account instead.
  • Options

I would like to think that most firms would try to get it back to your account straightaway in the knowledge that people would then use that money to back another horse in the race.
    bobmunro said:

Thank you both , that was my thinking if it doesn't run i can put on another horse :)
  • Options
    Thunder of Roses was 80/1 gone into 66/1 - obviously as now running, much chance? Peanuts/Paddy
  • Options
    And Vicente goes..... Delusionofgrandeur now in!

One....more......pleeeeeease!
  • Options

I'm amazed it took Hemmings so long to agree with his trainer - maybe the rain this morning but also Minella Rocco coming out that made him think he might get Vintage Clouds in.
  • Options

I'm amazed it took Hemmings so long to agree with his trainer - maybe the rain this morning but also Minella Rocco coming out that made him think he might get Vintage Clouds in.
    fingers crossed Vintage Clouds is getting nearer :)
  • Options
    I used to think it was a ground thing with Vicente too. But he sluiced through it at Cheltenham in November.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018

Thunder of Roses was 80/1 gone into 66/1 - obviously as now running, much chance? Peanuts/Paddy

At that price worth a lash - I suggest 6 places if the prices are the same.
    Soft-ground 2015 Irish GN winner (beat later GN soft-ground winner Rule The World), made the frame in last Irish GN.
    Has had a pretty ordinary season P84PFF (F last time out not a good stat).
    Twice faced the GN fences. PUd in a Becher chase (not looked convincing) but started last GN nicely but was badly hampered and URd first circuit.
    On my possibly-prominent, no cigar list - but that's often included the winner :astonished:
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I used to think it was a ground thing with Vicente too. But he sluiced through it at Cheltenham in November.

You're absolutely right and he'd run creditably in a Soft ground Welsh GN. I was thinking of having a win saver on him if he lined up because I think Nicholls has used the ground as an excuse for some moderate efforts. His jumping is the issue for me and seems to have gone to pot but he has bottomless stamina.
    Relieved he's out to be honest !
  • Options
    Had backed him small, and largely given up on it. Was surprised he was declared tbh! Just want one more to pull out now, otherwise it is a cruel blow before the race even started!
  • Options
    https://maps.turftrax.co.uk/latestgoingreport.asp?course=aintree

It's a funny old going map that for the GN course.
    Heavy (Soft places) is the official ground but there is a decent patch of Good before the 2nd last!! No matter - testing it is :smiley:
    Going Stick 3.9
  • Options
    Beeves out.....which means!

THE MILL IS IN!!!!
  • Options

THE MILL IS IN!!!!

Reeves out. That's not unusual
  • Options

THE MILL IS IN!!!!

From your posts i have put £2.50 EW on this @ 66/1 thanks in advance :)
  • Options

Not for me. Hasn't won in three years; recent form is fairly terrible; low in the weights for a reason.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Ladies day at aintree today

Oi leave my mum out this :P