Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2018 Thread

Comments

• Options
    PolzeathNick... Where do you get the required info? I fancy picking a race with just a few runners and trying to price it.
  • Options
    Racing Post website gives you all information. Can take some familiarity to get a handle on things though!
  • Options
    Yes i noticed it is a bit confusing
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    bobmunro said:

Ultimately, price should be the main driver of your bet. It takes A LOT of discipline to let a horse you like go unbacked because you deem the price to be too short.

Just punting on horses regardless of price, will lead to ruin in the long run. Anything before that is just noise.

The hardest thing trying to explain to people about betting, is not to bet on the likeliest outcome, but on the one you deem likelier to happen than the odds suggest.

Now, value can mean different things to some people than others. There are plenty who argue, and indeed make good money, backing short priced horses...for instance if you think a horse is an even money shot and you can back it at 11/10 then it is a value bet. However, I find that playing at those sort of prices puts a hell of a lot of pressure on one to be right a lot of the time!

Perhaps you are better at this game than me and can make things pay at short prices. From a personal note I just looked at the average price I've bet over the last few years and it comes out at a shade over 12/1. I'll get more things wrong at those sort of prices, but I have to be right a lot less to make it pay!!!

And over time, you'll find you hone your judgement more and more and find bets that suit your mentality. I can quite happily go on a long losing run (well not that happily maybe!) as I'm confident that my methods work in the LONG-TERM. I personally don't garner much enjoyment from backing a horse at short odds, and then watch nervously to see how it goes. And equally I don't get much envy when seeing people celebrating as if they've won the lottery as Altior goes in at even money! But again, that is down to each individual.

If you need to feel the feeling of winning more often then obviously you need to be playing at shorter odds. But in my view you'll find it a lot harder to make the game pay.

Absolutely spot on. The principles of bookmaking - lay under the odds - the principles of punting - back over the odds.

Some things are easier to spot than others though. If you offer me 11/10 on heads for the toss of a coin I will back it as I know for a fact I'm backing over the true odds (Evens). If there are 23 random people in a room and someone offers me evens that two or more share the same birthday (anniversary, not year) then I'll back it because I know the true odds are slightly odds-on. That's true odds, absolute probability.

On sporting events the prices on offer are not true odds, they are a combination of odds-compiler expert opinion, likely weight of money, and a theoretical margin built in. No absolute probabilities in sight. Of all sporting events, horse racing in my opinion is the hardest to compile. To be able to confidently identify those runners where the bookmaker is offering prices 'over the odds' the punter needs to be able to effectively price the race. Very few punters know whether or not a price on offer is under or over the 'odds' - most just make a selection and then back that selection. Some, like for example PolzeathNick and Peanuts, are able to effectively price a race so can pick value - but they are the exception.
    I'm very flattered @bobmunro but I ain’t in @PolzeathNick 's league (or that of other luminaries of the CL racing threads) when it comes to pricing a race. From what I can see, @PolzeathNick ‘s ratings are so astute he should be the next handicapper.
    I'm simply a one-trick pony and am essentially a trend-following GN anorak. My data sample is a tad unconventional as it considers near-misses and not just winners and this means that I may back horses that appear to buck the trend (e.g. Mon Mome [French-bred], Don't Push It [unloved at 80s before AP got on board 11 days before the race and thought by trend-followers at the time to have too much weight with 11.05] and Vic Canvas [too old at 13]).
    That may have further inflated their odds but, fundamentally, what really makes for value opportunities in the GN, as has been said, is the volume of money behind many of the higher-profile horses, simply because many seasoned punters can't seem to imagine classier, Grade 1 horses ever being beaten by dour sub-150 handicappers, especially when Phil hands them an advantage. Even great trainers (great at their thing for 364 other days in the year) simply don’t get what makes for a GN contender. Nicky Henderson's asserted for years that it’s a good 2.5 miler - and how's that worked for you then Nicky?
    A bit of a simplistic explanation but you get my drift.
    Anyway, just dodging the well-fancied no-hopers is one thing – making a return from the others still takes a little doing. Back to work and more anon.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Cause of Causes unlikely to run, according to JP's racing manager.
    Blaklion's had a small wind op, post-Haydock. ....clutching at straws Nigel.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Cause of Causes unlikely to run, according to JP's racing manager.
    Blaklion's had a small wind op, post-Haydock. ....clutching at straws Nigel.

Interesting news. Backed Cause Of Causes last year, and was reluctantly planning on backing him again this year despite his Cheltenham run. Presumably, something has come to light from that run.

More importantly though, he's one more out of the way for Walk In The Mill to get in the race. Interestingly, been matched on a load of lays on him down to 220 on Betfair the other day, so nearly in for a free shot at c.10k!

With you and can't have Blaklion on my mind. That last run will have bottomed him, and no wind op is going to fix that!

Chipping away at Vieux Lion Rouge is my current project. Though the Lincoln tomorrow has been a bit of a distraction!
  • Options
    Nice enough spin for Seeyouatmidnight in the 2.5m chase at Newbury. Understandably keen at the start and set a decent pace, jumped Newbury's stiff fences nicely, done by a couple of lighter-weighted rivals staying on from the rear. Held on gamely for 3rd.
  • Options
    Peanuts is Bless the Wings a confirmed runner yef? Odds?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Peanuts is Bless the Wings a confirmed runner yef? Odds?

50/1 NRNB 5 places 1/4 odds with Bet365 or SkyBet.

Racing Post reported last Tuesday:

"Gordon Elliott, fresh from being crowned top trainer at the Cheltenham Festival for the second year in a row, aims to have four runners in a race he won with Silver Birch in 2007.

Cross Country Chase winner Tiger Roll and last year's Grand National runner-up Cause Of Causes – pulled up behind Tiger Roll last week at Cheltenham – are to be joined by Bless The Wings and Ucello Conti.

Elliott said: "A lack of concentration caused Bless The Wings to fall at Cheltenham last week and he's in great form, while Ucello Conti was travelling very well when he came down in the National last year."

The Sportsman reported last Wednesday:

"Gordon Elliott has reported Bless The Wings to be in "great form" following his fall in the Cross Country Chase at the Cheltenham Festival last week, and the 13-year-old is all set for his first tilt at the Randox Health Grand National at Aintree on April 14.
    A prominent figure through the early stages of the Cross Country, Elliott's veteran stumbled and sent Davy Russell out the side door at the Cheese Wedges, but Elliott, who saddled eight winners at last week's Cheltenham Festival, has said that it was just a lack of concentration from his stable stalwart that forced him to take a dodgy step, and that there's not a bother him as the Irish handler looks to get him ready for a tilt at the Merseyside marathon next month."

• Options
    The one i have been looking at is the Dutchman. He has a good weight, likely to stay the distance, can run on any ground and won the Peter Marsh by 13 lengths.
  • Options
    Cause Of Causes definitely out of GN, done for the season, The Irish Times reports:
    “The intention was to go to Liverpool but he won’t be going. He got jarred up (at Cheltenham). He’s not too bad but he won’t be right for this season,” said McManus’s racing manager, Frank Berry, on Monday.
  • Options

One thing that struck me when looking at the market this year was whether everyone seems to have forgotten that this is still a handicap?!

A bloody difficult one too given that it is 10/1 the field and 20/1 bar two!
    First angle that struck me was how highly rated those at the front of the market are - 161,156,159,153,165,155,162. You've obviously got to assess each horse on their merits in relation to their mark but only Many Clouds and Neptune Collonges have won off those sort of marks and not sure Blaklion, Definitly Red and The Last Samuri are in that bracket.

Got to be looking at finding something below 150, that's 8-11yo and stays. From looks of it they will be overpriced!!!

I am a big fan of Seeyouatmidnight and have backed it at 33/1 (NRNB).

Seeyouatmidnight - rated 149 currently on 10-8, 3rd in the Scottish National and a 10 year old. Beat Bristol De Mai off level weights by 12l and also has defeated Blaklion in receipt of 3lbs by more than 3 lengths.

It won't be 33/1 come the day if it runs and if it doesn't then NRNB applies.
    Whilst the price hasn't exactly collapsed yet (best price 25/1) the horse has come out of its run well, trainer is very bullish about its chances and it definitely runs - unless it does something silly liking stepping on a stone!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

One thing that struck me when looking at the market this year was whether everyone seems to have forgotten that this is still a handicap?!

First angle that struck me was how highly rated those at the front of the market are - 161,156,159,153,165,155,162. You've obviously got to assess each horse on their merits in relation to their mark but only Many Clouds and Neptune Collonges have won off those sort of marks and not sure Blaklion, Definitly Red and The Last Samuri are in that bracket.

Got to be looking at finding something below 150, that's 8-11yo and stays. From looks of it they will be overpriced!!!

Seeyouatmidnight - rated 149 currently on 10-8, 3rd in the Scottish National and a 10 year old. Beat Bristol De Mai off level weights by 12l and also has defeated Blaklion in receipt of 3lbs by more than 3 lengths.

Whilst the price hasn't exactly collapsed yet (best price 25/1) the horse has come out of its run well, trainer is very bullish about its chances and it definitely runs - unless it does something silly liking stepping on a stone!
    Trainer is bullish @Addick Addict but he did say after Newbury that SYAM wasn't as far along as he'd thought. Despite travelling and jumping nicely, he clearly needed the run.
    That's totally understandable of course but I fear it may prove to be that the weather-enforced 3 week delay in his return to the track could be costly on 14 April.
    With a run in early March, he could have brought him on meaningfully with serious work at home and a racecourse gallop or two. By the time he's OK to work after Saturday, I'm not sure fitness will quite be there for the test of a GN.
    On paper he's definitely got what it takes and has a very winnable-with weight but I must confess I'm mulling over cashing-out.
  • Options
    As regards Regal Encore I fully agree with you polzeathnick when trying to read and work out his form
    But from having horses in the stable this horses aim has been this years National since it finished last years and they also have the jockey they have wanted on him too now
  • Options
    Thanks killerkish, interesting. Will probably have him covered on the day as he does fit profile nicely, just find him frustrating to understand!!!
  • Options
    Love this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Trainer is bullish @Addick Addict but he did say after Newbury that SYAM wasn't as far along as he'd thought. Despite travelling and jumping nicely, he clearly needed the run.
    That's totally understandable of course but I fear it may prove to be that the weather-enforced 3 week delay in his return to the track could be costly on 14 April.
    With a run in early March, he could have brought him on meaningfully with serious work at home and a racecourse gallop or two. By the time he's OK to work after Saturday, I'm not sure fitness will quite be there for the test of a GN.
    On paper he's definitely got what it takes and has a very winnable-with weight but I must confess I'm mulling over cashing-out.
    Excellent points PM but I would hope that these stats and the trainers comments, so far as the need for a run is concerned, will allay those fears:

After 227 days break - 1/11
    After 53 days break - 1/5
    After 316 days break - 2/6
    After 242 days break - 3/6
    After 57 days break - 1/3
    After 197 days break - 1/2 (Beat Bristol De Mai)
    After 126 days break - 2/8
    After 364 days break - 3/7

In yesterday's RP Thompson said:

"While the first two horses went away from him, Danny said the fourth was never going to get past him. He came back and had a good blow, but wasn't legless, which is what we wanted..........There is a real possibility he goes there with a great chance."

I'm also not a great believer in Mordin's "bounce factor" mainly because I think that it is used as the obvious excuse for a horse's poor run second time after a break.

• Options
    I have been trying to find on Coral the list and cant, dont know if i am being stupid as surely it should be on there by now? Or shall i just bet some on skybet
  • Options
    Johnny click on ante post then National Hunt then the Grand National comes up
  • Options

I have been trying to find on Coral the list and cant, dont know if i am being stupid as surely it should be on there by now? Or shall i just bet some on skybet

You can also use this to compare the odds and then click on the bookmaker of your choice:

https://oddschecker.com/grand-national/winner
  • Options

Johnny click on ante post then National Hunt then the Grand National comes up

Thanks, did half look on ante post. But will find later now thanks @killer kish

You can also use this to compare the odds and then click on the bookmaker of your choice:

https://oddschecker.com/grand-national/winner
    Cheers, i dont really bother have a few accounts already so will just look on ones i have already: Coral/Bet365/Skybet.
  • Options

Excellent points PM but I would hope that these stats and the trainers comments, so far as the need for a run is concerned, will allay those fears:

After 227 days break - 1/11
    After 53 days break - 1/5
    After 316 days break - 2/6
    After 242 days break - 3/6
    After 57 days break - 1/3
    After 197 days break - 1/2 (Beat Bristol De Mai)
    After 126 days break - 2/8
    After 364 days break - 3/7

In yesterday's RP Thompson said:

"While the first two horses went away from him, Danny said the fourth was never going to get past him. He came back and had a good blow, but wasn't legless, which is what we wanted..........There is a real possibility he goes there with a great chance."

I'm also not a great believer in Mordin's "bounce factor" mainly because I think that it is used as the obvious excuse for a horse's poor run second time after a break.

Yeap, agreed. Just mulling at the mo.
    Just to point out, however, his next run after bashing Bristol De Mai after that 197 day break was 20 days later and he PUd 5 out in the Betfair Chase :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just a little stat-lette to chew on, which I think I trotted out before the 2016 GN, run on testing ground.
    In the 6 GNs since 1989 to be run on Soft or worse (or on materially rain-softened ground, i.e. 2009), all 6 winners and 11 of the 12 finishing 2nd or 3rd had won or made the frame in a Class 1 (or then equivalent) chase at 29f+.
    Only The Last Samuri hadn't and he had never raced beyond 26f but had exceptional consistency at 3m+ (winning or placed in 7 of his 8 chases - the only "miss" being when hampered and unseating when going well late on).

EDIT - that excludes the Red Marauder farce in 2001, of course, when 4 finished but only 2 without having fallen and been remounted.
  • Options
    The more i look at it the more the case for Tiger Roll looks rock solid.
  • Options
    oldbloke said:

The more i look at it the more i dont have a clue.

So many good tipsters here, hard to decide at present who i'm backing. Also not sure if better just to do on the day as normal, but seems i might miss out on some value.
  • Options
    ok done a couple small ones EW :
    VIEUX LION ROUGE
    Seeyouatmidnight

Will probably do a couple more on the day