Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ohhhhh Jeremy Corrrrrrbyn

Comments

• Options
    '
    thenewbie said:

You want my honest assessment of Corbyn and Labour right now?

1. I like him, I don’t think he has a bad bone in his body. I think he makes a lot of innocent mistakes and on days like today, the reality that someone who makes so many consistent mistakes will never be trusted by enough of the electorate hits me hard.

2. The reason I defend him and have voted with him three times: I love his policies and the most recent manifesto. It’s more than a breath of fresh air.

3. I’m scared that once Corbyn is ousted, the policies won’t be seen again from a mainstream party for at least a generation. I see him as our chance for a genuine shift back towards the left after many successive governments have dragged political debate to the right.

If JC goes in the next couple of years and some centrist with Tory-lite policies is installed, my membership of the Labour Party will be short lived indeed.

If Corbyn goes (more likely when) it won't be to do with his policies or even his personal beliefs, but due to his utter inability to manage any sort of crisis effectively. Throw the man a hot potato and he'll stuff it with ghost chillies, set it alight then try and swallow it.

The politics aside, hes just not leadership material at all as the fact that Labour are somehow contriving to lose ground proves.
    The reality is that chilli stuffed potato would probably poll better than Corbyn.
  • Options

'

thenewbie said:

1. I like him, I don’t think he has a bad bone in his body. I think he makes a lot of innocent mistakes and on days like today, the reality that someone who makes so many consistent mistakes will never be trusted by enough of the electorate hits me hard.

2. The reason I defend him and have voted with him three times: I love his policies and the most recent manifesto. It’s more than a breath of fresh air.

3. I’m scared that once Corbyn is ousted, the policies won’t be seen again from a mainstream party for at least a generation. I see him as our chance for a genuine shift back towards the left after many successive governments have dragged political debate to the right.

If JC goes in the next couple of years and some centrist with Tory-lite policies is installed, my membership of the Labour Party will be short lived indeed.

If Corbyn goes (more likely when) it won't be to do with his policies or even his personal beliefs, but due to his utter inability to manage any sort of crisis effectively. Throw the man a hot potato and he'll stuff it with ghost chillies, set it alight then try and swallow it.

The politics aside, hes just not leadership material at all as the fact that Labour are somehow contriving to lose ground proves.
    The reality is that chilli stuffed potato would probably poll better than Corbyn.
    you joke but "Don't know" polls significantly better than either may or corbyn in "who would make a better PM" polls.
  • Options

'

thenewbie said:

you joke but "Don't know" polls significantly better than either may or corbyn in "who would make a better PM" polls.
    The fact that those two clowns are the best our two main parties can currently offer up shows what a shocking state British politics is in.

I find it hard to imagine a time when I'd want to move back home and that makes me really sad.
  • Options

People are worrying about someone muttering 'stupid woman'? This country has lost its mind.

Be interesting to see the posts on here following the calm down dear remark.
  • Options

People are worrying about someone muttering 'stupid woman'? This country has lost its mind.

Be interesting to see the posts on here following the calm down dear remark.
    Quite.

Seems like our politics is in a race to the bottom. Tories screwing up brexit, Corbyn supposedly “not interrupting your opponent when they’re making a mistake”.

Now it’s okay for open misogyny because the other party partook in it 2 years ago.

The absolute state of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    se9addick said:

What’s the point in these policies if they aren’t enough to defeat quite the worst government in my lifetime? Look at the polls - Labour are still behind by some distance and actually losing ground according to the latest numbers.

If you want to see real change from this terrible government then Labour have to get rid of Corbyn.
    Manifesto vs manifesto, Labour absolutely hammered the Tories last time out.

If the leader changes and the policies change with it, for all the centrist voters gained (and I don’t think it’d be as many as people think) there would be an equal amount like myself who would be lost to parties who stick by their progressive principles. Or you’d have people so disengaged that they will refuse to vote.

Maybe the time is coming where the mantle should be passed along but going back to the weak Labour Party of 2010-15 hands the Tories the next election in my eyes.
  • Options

se9addick said:

What’s the point in these policies if they aren’t enough to defeat quite the worst government in my lifetime? Look at the polls - Labour are still behind by some distance and actually losing ground according to the latest numbers.

If you want to see real change from this terrible government then Labour have to get rid of Corbyn.

If the leader changes and the policies change with it, for all the centrist voters gained (and I don’t think it’d be as many as people think) there would be an equal amount like myself who would be lost to parties who stick by their progressive principles.

Maybe the time is coming where the mantle should be passed along but going back to the weak Labour Party of 2010-15 hands the Tories the next election in my eyes.
    i'm not understanding where this "right wing" ed miliband has come from. His policies were deemed by many critics as "too left wing" at the time.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

se9addick said:

And how did that work out for them?

It's entirely possible for Labour to have a left leaning leader who does not have all of Corbyn's baggage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Agree but Labour still lost. That wasn't because May was brilliant.

If the leader changes and the policies change with it, for all the centrist voters gained (and I don’t think it’d be as many as people think) there would be an equal amount like myself who would be lost to parties who stick by their progressive principles. Or you’d have people so disengaged that they will refuse to vote.

What if the policies, which Leuth and other labour supporters claim are social democratic/centre left anyway, stay the same and leader changes?
    Aren't the policies more important that the personality? If a different leader used the same manifesto and actually won isn't that more important?

It handed the Tories the last election and polls suggest it will hand then the next, Brexit mess and all. And they won't have the "stupid woman" leading them then.

• Options
    seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

nothing like a bit of misogyny by the leader of the opposition at PMQ's

seth plum said:

Calling somebody stupid is one thing. Does ca!long somebody a stupid woman make you an eternal card carrying misogynist?
    For the absence of doubt he definitely said it.
    Personally I wouldn't have used the word stupid or woman when describing her.
    There are other words.

Bloody hell Seth. I wonder what this bloke would have to do to lose your favour.
    Where have I said I favour him?
    Your defence of him in the face of mounting evidence against him, including misogynistic comments made by him just moments ago, suggests that you do.

Is calling the Prime Minister of this country a “stupid woman” abhorrent and unfitting of a person who wants to lead the Opposition (and one day the country)?
    I am not defending him. I am engaging with the evidence presented which I see as a different thing.
    Seth, that is a CL all time classic.

I'm not defending him I am engaging with the evidence presented.

Simply brilliant.
  • Options

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

Calling somebody stupid is one thing. Does ca!long somebody a stupid woman make you an eternal card carrying misogynist?
    There are other words.

Bloody hell Seth. I wonder what this bloke would have to do to lose your favour.
    Your defence of him in the face of mounting evidence against him, including misogynistic comments made by him just moments ago, suggests that you do.

Is calling the Prime Minister of this country a “stupid woman” abhorrent and unfitting of a person who wants to lead the Opposition (and one day the country)?
    I am not defending him. I am engaging with the evidence presented which I see as a different thing.

I'm not defending him I am engaging with the evidence presented which I see as a different thing.

Simply brilliant.
    Fixed that for you.

Sometimes truth does have a simple beauty.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh my god how have my words been twisted so many times already? Lol sigh.

If the leader was different but the policies remained, I would vote for them. I don’t think that is realistic though: if the leader were to change, I expect the policies to change with them and we’re back to square one.

The manifesto is the leading reason Labour reached 40% of the vote share - and before anyone jumps to point out: I know that wasn’t enough to win, that was never my point.

This was (sadly) in spite of Corbyn. Someone with a squeaky clean reputation and the same policies would have won, I have no doubts about that.

If Corbyn had no decent policy to stand behind, I suspect Labour would’ve been in the 20s in vote share, instead they got 40.
  • Options
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

There are other words.

I'm not defending him I am engaging with the evidence presented which I see as a different thing.

Simply brilliant.
    Fixed that for you.

Yet you choose to ignore it?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

If the leader was different but the policies remained, I would vote for them. I don’t think that is realistic. If the leader changes, I expect the policies to change.

The manifesto is the leading reason Labour reached 40% of the vote share - and before anyone jumps to point out: I know that wasn’t enough to win, that was never my point.

This was (sadly) in spite of Corbyn. Someone with a squeaky clean reputation and the same policies would have won, I have no doubts about that.

If Corbyn had no decent policy to stand behind, I suspect Labour would’ve been in the 20s in vote share, instead they got 40.

Right, so Corbyn is the problem?

Edit - that’s not a dig - just trying to clarify that we’re on the same page.
  • Options

Although I'm personally not bothered about Corbyn calling May a stupid woman, I can absolutely guarantee if a Tory MP had said it about a female Labour MP, there would be outrage.

Double standards

There’s quite a lot of outrage TBF!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

If the leader was different but the policies remained, I would vote for them. I don’t think that is realistic. If the leader changes, I expect the policies to change.

Yes. I’m personally ok with him but I understand the public are not and will likely never be.

I just am worried about him being replaced because the policies I suspect will disappear with him.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Yes. I’m personally ok with him but I understand the public are not and will likely never be.

I just am worried about him being replaced because the policies I suspect will disappear with him.
    Do you think the hundreds of thousands of labour members will suddenly do a 180 on their political beliefs?
  • Options

If the leader was different but the policies remained, I would vote for them. I don’t think that is realistic though: if the leader were to change, I expect the policies to change with them and we’re back to square one.

Why would the members who elected Corbyn suddenly opt for a centrist? Any future leader will be as left-wing as Corbyn.
  • Options

Why would the members who elected Corbyn suddenly opt for a centrist? Any future leader will be as left-wing as Corbyn.
    I wouldn’t put it past them to fudge it somehow. Corbyn only got on the ballot last time because no one took him seriously. They wouldn’t make the same mistake again.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Do you think the hundreds of thousands of labour members will suddenly do a 180 on their political beliefs?
    See my response to Stu above. I suspect we wouldn’t get anyone like Corbyn on the ballot at a future leadership election.
  • Options

se9addick said:

See my response to Stu above. I suspect we wouldn’t get anyone like Corbyn on the ballot at a future leadership election.
    will the new pro corbyn MP's suddenly do a 180 on their political views?
  • Options

I wouldn’t put it past them to fudge it somehow. Corbyn only got on the ballot last time because no one took him seriously. They wouldn’t make the same mistake again.
    If someone cannot get the support of 15% of MPs/MEPs in order to get on the ballot, are They really in any position to lead?

Corbyn's faction also controls The NEC now, so I can't see the left losing their grip on Labour anytime soon!
  • Options

Corbyn's faction also controls The NEC now, so I can't see the left losing their grip on Labour anytime soon!
    Deep joy.

How's Vince Cable getting on?

• Options
    edited December 2018

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

There are other words.

Simply brilliant.
    Fixed that for you.

Yet you choose to ignore it?
    In answer to your question. No, I do not choose to ignore it, however I often choose to seek it.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Deep joy.

How's Sir Vince Cable getting on?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!