Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Cardiff | Sat 23 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    At the match 
    Frustrating as fuck.
    Got to see games out when you are 2.0 up and then save a penalty. 
    Really disappointed we didn't hold on.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:
    As everyone says Leko can be a very frustrating player. If something goes wrong or doesn't come off he gets so dejected. I think he needs to see a psychologist. In saying that the movement for his goal was brilliant.  Sadly we need the quality of Williams and Taylor to win these games. Hopefully Pratley and Cullen aren't out too long.
    I think Pratley was only suspended. Unless I’ve missed something. 
    Just the 1 match suspension for 5 yellows.

Should be back Tuesday to add determination and bite to the midfield.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:
    As everyone says Leko can be a very frustrating player. If something goes wrong or doesn't come off he gets so dejected. I think he needs to see a psychologist. In saying that the movement for his goal was brilliant.  Sadly we need the quality of Williams and Taylor to win these games. Hopefully Pratley and Cullen aren't out too long.
    I think Pratley was only suspended. Unless I’ve missed something. 
    Yeah he is... Should be back Tuesday
  • Options
    Very happy Pratley's coming back. 
  • Options
    Aaaaagh no! ...... Millwall winning. They'll go above us.

For God's sake, don 't tell OoohAaaagh.

• Options
    Great game for a neutral fan, sadly I'm not. Morgan & Doughty look real prospects to me
  • Options
    Disappointing after being 2-0 up.

I know he scored but Leko had a shocker constantly gave the ball away, half hearted challenges can see why WBA don’t rate him.

Bonne different class, never gave up and looked confident, really hope we can get him and Taylor on the pitch together.

Nice cameo from young Alfie.

we need to not lose at Luton whatever team we manage get out.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Aaaaagh no! ...... Millwall winning. They'll go above us.

For God's sake, don 't tell OoohAaaagh.

Yep just seen it , scum above us 
    we are in bottom half of the table and heading for a relegation battle 
    sad times 
  • Options
    Way I see it is its similar to us being in the relegation zone under Powell when he got sacked

We were in a false position that season because so may games had been called off because of the dodgy pitch - When we eventually caught up we moved clear

Think the same will happen here with injuries

We look like we're struggling and it looks like teams have sussed us but for me thats because we've got 14-players injured

If anything it shows how well Bowyer etc. is doing (SO GIVE HIM A NEW CONTRACT) and makes you wonder how we'd be doing with a fully fit team
  • Options
    Not even half way through the season and people are writing off our season! 

Once the injured players start coming back we'll be fine. 

We are mid table quality when we have no depth. 

Just imagine where we'd be if we had some depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR and all that.

Feels like a loss having been 2-0 up but worse than that is Cullen being carried off on a stretcher. That could be the last we see of him in a Charlton shirt I fear either because of the severity of the injury, West Ham recalling him in January or both. A crucial player for us to the extent that this injury could be the difference between survival in this division and not in my opinion.

Cardiff started well and their number 19 in particular gave both our full backs problems. We hung in there though and Bonne did well to set up Gallagher for our first goal. That was pretty much our first attack from memory! The game was a bit more evenly balanced after that and it was a real bonus that Jonathan Leko managed to grab a second for us.

It all looked so good at half time but this is Charlton and we all know how vulnerable we are traditionally at 2-0 up. Baadiff came out with intent and Madine (I think) won them what looked a soft penalty from the distance of the Upper Covered End. Dillon did his stuff though and we breathed again. Not for long though as following a bit of goalmouth pinball Cardiff scored to make it 2-1. Then came Cullen's injury and we all knew it was only a matter of time before the inevitable equaliser. The only question  then was would Baadiff go on to get a winner?

However to give our lads credit they made a decent attempt to get the winner themselves and, although it certainly didn't feel like it as a Charlton fan, if anyone was going to get a third we were the more likely. Albie Morgan and Alfie Doughty both made an impact and showed encouraging signs. It wasn't to be though so one point closer to safety and let's hope we avoid defeat in the relegation six pointer at Luton in the week.

I do hope @Rossman92 enjoyed his first experience of The Valley. He managed to pick a match that epitomised all the agony and ecstasy of life as a Charlton fan in 90 (nearer 100 actually) minutes.

HO HUM. COYR
  • Options
    Just wish players were encouraged to shoot more. Lost count of the number of times in the last few games when a chance looks on, only for us to ponce about looking to walk the ball into the net. Bonne and Otzumer both guilty today.
     Remember Bobby Charlton saying he was always encouraged by Matt Busby to shoot as soon as he had a sight of goal and he didn't do badly with that approach. Not that I am comparing the likes of Bonne and Oz to Sir Bobby but it's so frustrating to see what looks like a chance go to waste.
     On a positive note, was impressed with Morgan (who was unlucky wit one long-range effort) and Doughty.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Refuse to criticise anyone. Doing well with the bodies we have. Annoyed that we have thrown away a 2-0 lead. Doughty was a huge bonus.
    I didn't think we threw anything away. A draw was a fair result between two teams prepared to have a go and entertain. Not many points but lots of positives (injuries aside). 

Football used to offer lots of games like this....really good to watch. 
  • Options
    Exciting but frustrating game after being two up.

Was surprised by how Cardiff didn't go for the win at the end.

Both sides looked better attacking then defending.

Lots of harsh marks for Philips. Saving a pen is like a striker scoring a brace.

Oji grew in to it but maybe at fault for 2nd goal. Uses his physic well.

We started poorly, unable to deal with their press, but once we started to get the ball to Oztumer we broke out and started to create.

Yes, not every thing Ozzie does comes off but a lot does including the assist for Leko.

More and more injuries, don't know how or why but we'll be bottom six if we can't get a few wins soon. 

Met @Rossman92 after the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The desperate thing is that most of these are medium to long term injuries...  Oh for the glow of those first 9 games!

We are going to struggle, not suprisingly of course, but we need some performance at the Hatters.
  • Options
    Some massively OTT reactions on here as usual. Not that many neutrals were watching, but they would have seen a cracking second half of end to end football. Our goals came from breakaways, as did their second. Yes bloody frustrating that we let slip a 2-0 lead, but 2-0 at half time flattered us a bit. Great to see Morgan and Doughty come on and do well, while much of our attacking play was excellent. I think we missed Pratley today, he does a lot of the dirty work shielding the defence.

We are a newly promoted side competing against some sides with massive budgets. Comparing us with the other promoted teams, we're 9 points ahead of Luton who've lost FIVE in a row and 14 ahead of Barnsley. We were always likely to have a dodgy run, when injuries and bad luck conspire against us, and this is it.

We don't have a "paper thin" squad, any team would struggle with the number of injuries we have, and while some of them are down to us signing "bargain basement" players, having 3 players out with knee injuries and Cullen stretchered off is bad luck, and not anybody's fault.
    The experts on Sky are wrong then?
  • Options
    Some massively OTT reactions on here as usual. Not that many neutrals were watching, but they would have seen a cracking second half of end to end football. Our goals came from breakaways, as did their second. Yes bloody frustrating that we let slip a 2-0 lead, but 2-0 at half time flattered us a bit. Great to see Morgan and Doughty come on and do well, while much of our attacking play was excellent. I think we missed Pratley today, he does a lot of the dirty work shielding the defence.

We are a newly promoted side competing against some sides with massive budgets. Comparing us with the other promoted teams, we're 9 points ahead of Luton who've lost FIVE in a row and 14 ahead of Barnsley. We were always likely to have a dodgy run, when injuries and bad luck conspire against us, and this is it.

We don't have a "paper thin" squad, any team would struggle with the number of injuries we have, and while some of them are down to us signing "bargain basement" players, having 3 players out with knee injuries and Cullen stretchered off is bad luck, and not anybody's fault.
    The experts on Sky are wrong then?
    I thought they more or less agreed with this post? 
  • Options
    We will be ok. We have some great players returning. What is a bit annoying is we defend ok then make stupid mistakes. 
  • Options

This.

Also I don't get all this angst over Bows contract. I think Sky are stiring it all up. I mean, he does have one & it runs until June next year. Contracts mean nothing in football anyway. He could have a new 3 year one & get sacked the next week. 

Time to change the record.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not even half way through the season and people are writing off our season! 

Once the injured players start coming back we'll be fine. 

We are mid table quality when we have no depth. 

Just imagine where we'd be if we had some depth.
    Who’s writing off the season , staying up is our only realistic ambition , promotion thoughts are for the delusional .

9 points from 11 games are the harsh reality of where we’re at as the season takes it toll with our paper thin squad .
    of course In fantasy land our first eleven never get injured and we’re knocking on the play off door but this isn’t fantasy football , this is a tough league and 4th bottom is the aim for us this season with our lame owner .
    No 4th bottom is not our aim. It's our first goal to be safe from relegation, but even Bowyer has said, we achieve that then re-evaluate.

Our goal will change as the season goes on, but if 4th bottom is your goal when we've already proven ourselves to be as good as any of the 3 relegated from the premier league last season and better than half the teams we've played, you keep that goal. 

Personally I think it's realistic for us to finish anywhere from 12th to 18th but we'll have to see.
  • Options
    4th bottom is the first and main aim , anything else is a bonus,  maybe we could finish in the heady heights of 16th to 12th with a bit of a following wind but the winds against us atm 
  • Options

Some people assuming that the squad we have now is all we'll have for the season.
    We've got more injuries than anybody could imagine - but players will return and the squad will become stronger.

The window opens in 5 weeks time; there will be wheeling and dealing ....... Steve Gallen hinted recently that we're looking to strengthen in January - and gave the impression that he believes some funding will be available.

Of course, we're still shopping in the bargain basement - but then Gallen & Co do have a good eye for the right sort of player at the right price.

• Options

Great to be out at the Valley again support was Deserved and should have had more from the game especially being 2 goals up but the boys gave everything and I thought excellent. Look forward to Tuesday now @… https://www.instagram.com/p/B5N8-7NBSd5/?igshid=19tb8y723aazs …