Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Cardiff | Sat 23 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Thought LB's interview was a cry for help!

Can CARD come up with some sort of idea how to support Lee but heap pressure on the Douch????

It's clear Lee wants to stay which is a minor miracle considering our recent history!

We will lose him and the backroom staff especially once we get safe (being positive)
    if nothing is forthcoming from Belgium. 
    Read what Gallen said about it:

https://www.castrust.org/2019/11/gallen-lee-is-desperate-to-stay/

Surely the Covered End could at least get a chant going?
    Really please that you picked up on this & have mentioned it here @Weegie Addick.

I only read the notes from the meeting yesterday & wondered why there had been no reference to it following their publication. 

I'm assuming that finding the fine line between criticising RD & finding the right words to let him know our feelings about Bow's contract situation et al is a difficult one .....

...and possibly needs some creative input from others apart from the North Standers. 

Anyone ? 

Feckin quote thingy !!!!!
  • Options
    Probably a fair result but always gutting to lose a 2 goal lead. A 2 goal lead which i think we were a bit fortunate to have.
    I watched Bonne a lot today off the ball and hes improved already from last time i seen him and cannot wait to see when/if Bowyer plays him and Taylor together up top.
    Thought Pearce was solid today.
    The no shooting from distance is obviously an instruction so i cant have a go at the players if the manager is instructing that, but today we had numerous shooting chances that we should have taken, their keeper is not all that.
    Missed their pen and 1st goal. 20 odd mins to queue up for some chips for the boy is a joke. To come back and see Cullen injured too pissed me off double. Hope its not a bad one but fear the worse.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Some people assuming that the squad we have now is all we'll have for the season.
    We've got more injuries than anybody could imagine - but players will return and the squad will become stronger.

The window opens in 5 weeks time; there will be wheeling and dealing ....... Steve Gallen hinted recently that we're looking to strengthen in January - and gave the impression that he believes some funding will be available.

Of course, we're still shopping in the bargain basement - but then Gallen & Co do have a good eye for the right sort of player at the right price.

You dont have to spend a ton of money in Football to find the right players...

Absolute myth that you've got to spend millions to be successful

Provided you've got the right scouting system (which we do, in a way) then you'll find the right players at a cheaper price than others just because they're a well known name
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Some people assuming that the squad we have now is all we'll have for the season.
    We've got more injuries than anybody could imagine - but players will return and the squad will become stronger.

The window opens in 5 weeks time; there will be wheeling and dealing ....... Steve Gallen hinted recently that we're looking to strengthen in January - and gave the impression that he believes some funding will be available.

Of course, we're still shopping in the bargain basement - but then Gallen & Co do have a good eye for the right sort of player at the right price.

Provided you've got the right scouting system (which we do, in a way) then you'll find the right players at a cheaper price than others just because they're a well known name
    But also ensure that the Medical /physio team are financed properly to deal with the inevitable injuries a squad like ours will pick up.

Think we've had strong hints that this isn't so. 

And we shouldn't be surprised IMO....
  • Options
    I'm honestly struggling to see the 'fair result' point of view?
    Not saying anyone is wrong but I felt we done more than enough to win that game. 
  • Options
    I'm honestly struggling to see the 'fair result' point of view?
    Not saying anyone is wrong but I felt we done more than enough to win that game. 
    If i was Cardiff and 2 down missed a pen id have given up. But fair play they didnt. We should of gone 3-1 up but didnt and i think the draw was fair. 
  • Options
    I 100% know you don't always get what you deserve, possession or not but in most games this season I think we have looked the better team for an hour of the match, whether it's the the first hour, middle hour or last hour. Only Brentford and Leeds have looked the better team than us for longer periods. IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly again I predicted the result right at 2-2. Was a fair result overall I think.

With the injuries we've had and the bench it wasn't a bad result at all, although leading 2-0 at halftime it feels like a loss.

We're coming up short in a few areas, missing Taylor, love to see him playing with Bonne who I think has really come in the past month.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Exciting game but that always counts for less when you fail to win. Would probably feel different if it had been 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, but to be 2-0 up and then end up drawing, especially at home, always feels a bit like defeat.

We were well on top for much of the first half but there were warning signs as we always looked vulnerable on the break. Mendez-Lang (sp?) was a handful all afternoon. Thought Deji did okay, he was better on the ball than I expected but he was conspicuously absent at times as a screen in front of the back four, he just didn’t seem to read the game as well as someone like Pratley does (to be somewhat expected in an unfamiliar position for him).

We did look dangerous in attack throughout though. Cardiff weren’t great defensively, which helped, but Ozzy was getting on the ball more than he has in some games and there were some lovely one touch moves that were maybe one last pass away from being a goal or denied by a last ditch block. 

Losing Cullen is a huge blow because he anchors the midfield and dictates play so well but both Albie and Alfie looked decent when coming on. Bonne continues to impress and was unlucky not to score. Leko great one minute, poor the next but stuff does tend to happen around him. 

Dropping Naby was not the cure-all for our defensive problems that some seemed to think it would be. 

Dillon very unlucky not to be in the winning side after some more big saves. 
  • Options
    You can try to find reasons for the injuries but bad luck does play a part. In terms of injuries, if we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all. We will start to get the players back and we can push on. COYRs.
  • Options
    We got lucky the ref didn’t give them the penalty at 1-0 that looked a lot  more of a penalty than the one given but we’re getting undone with that wrestling bollox and giving pens away 

will the league look at the kick out on bonnes head 

also what was bonne booked for was it for sneaking behind the keeper and trying to nod it out of his hands ? They brushed over it on the box 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    There was a kick out and if spotted he would have been off, but he didn't really contact much. Was very stupid though.
  • Options
    Ungentlemanly conduct I think that is now.

Absolute farce of a rule for already mollycoddled keepers. 

But I think it came in a couple years back. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I agree. The issue is, you keep losing them to clubs with more money unless you have some.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I 100% know you don't always get what you deserve, possession or not but in most games this season I think we have looked the better team for an hour of the match, whether it's the the first hour, middle hour or last hour. Only Brentford and Leeds have looked the better team than us for longer periods. IMO
    Fking hell, I'd erased the preston game from my mind so you can chuck that in there. 
  • Options
    I seriously thought we were home and dry, when Cardiff missed the penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I agree. The issue is, you keep losing them to clubs with more money unless you have some.
    I would have no problem losing players to bigger clubs and getting a fair price if that was the medium term plan. Ajax have done it for years and it works. 
    Problem is we dont sign players on good contracts and then we let them go for rubbish money 
  • Options
    Which is part of my point.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Danepak said:
    I seriously thought we were home and dry, when Cardiff missed the penalty.
    Just how long have you been supporting Charlton ??????

:smile:
    We looked good, Cardiff woeful. Thought the pen miss was going to kill Cardiff, but you’re right, I should’ve known better. And when Cullen went off, it was uphill. Still, we could’ve snatched it a couple of times at the end.
  • Options
    Really tough losing Cullen today.

Hope it is not a big injury. I think he's our most important player.
  • Options
    can’t afford to allow away teams have 23 shots at goal. 

Need to close out games like this. 

I’m looking down the table rather than looking up. 
  • Options
    Gallagher is our most important player this season. Cullen is right up there too mind
  • Options
    Whereas we seemed to be finding ways to win before the injuries, we seem to be finding ways not to since. It is a subtle change and hopefully will revert when the injuries start clearing up.
  • Options
    One thing that niggled me a bit was Leko. He scored a decent goal but it feels he gets it wrong more than right and it frustrates me because he has a lot of ability. I was a big supporter of Carl Leaburn, and it frustrated me that a number of fans couldn't see what he brought to the team. But he had a flaw that held him back from a higher level. That is the instinct that the defender might miss it. Of course nine times out of ten they don't, but you miss out on goals if you assume that ball isn't going to run through. Leko was guilty of it today and it needs drumming into him as an improvement required in his game. 
  • Options
    Some massively OTT reactions on here as usual. Not that many neutrals were watching, but they would have seen a cracking second half of end to end football. Our goals came from breakaways, as did their second. Yes bloody frustrating that we let slip a 2-0 lead, but 2-0 at half time flattered us a bit. Great to see Morgan and Doughty come on and do well, while much of our attacking play was excellent. I think we missed Pratley today, he does a lot of the dirty work shielding the defence.

We are a newly promoted side competing against some sides with massive budgets. Comparing us with the other promoted teams, we're 9 points ahead of Luton who've lost FIVE in a row and 14 ahead of Barnsley. We were always likely to have a dodgy run, when injuries and bad luck conspire against us, and this is it.

We don't have a "paper thin" squad, any team would struggle with the number of injuries we have, and while some of them are down to us signing "bargain basement" players, having 3 players out with knee injuries and Cullen stretchered off is bad luck, and not anybody's fault.
    This.

Also I don't get all this angst over Bows contract. I think Sky are stiring it all up. I mean, he does have one & it runs until June next year. Contracts mean nothing in football anyway. He could have a new 3 year one & get sacked the next week. 

Time to change the record.
    Bowyer and Gallen have mentioned it recently , job security, club stability etc 
    so that may be the reason or are they stirring it up as well

Except another club comes in with an offer of improved pay and 3 or 4 year contract and he goes.