Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Cardiff | Sat 23 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Their first would have been ruled out with VAR 100%

Swings and roundabouts of course

• Options
    Some massively OTT reactions on here as usual. Not that many neutrals were watching, but they would have seen a cracking second half of end to end football. Our goals came from breakaways, as did their second. Yes bloody frustrating that we let slip a 2-0 lead, but 2-0 at half time flattered us a bit. Great to see Morgan and Doughty come on and do well, while much of our attacking play was excellent. I think we missed Pratley today, he does a lot of the dirty work shielding the defence.

We are a newly promoted side competing against some sides with massive budgets. Comparing us with the other promoted teams, we're 9 points ahead of Luton who've lost FIVE in a row and 14 ahead of Barnsley. We were always likely to have a dodgy run, when injuries and bad luck conspire against us, and this is it.

We don't have a "paper thin" squad, any team would struggle with the number of injuries we have, and while some of them are down to us signing "bargain basement" players, having 3 players out with knee injuries and Cullen stretchered off is bad luck, and not anybody's fault.
    This.

Also I don't get all this angst over Bows contract. I think Sky are stiring it all up. I mean, he does have one & it runs until June next year. Contracts mean nothing in football anyway. He could have a new 3 year one & get sacked the next week. 

Time to change the record.
    Bowyer and Gallen have mentioned it recently , job security, club stability etc 
    so that may be the reason or are they stirring it up as well

Except another club comes in with an offer of improved pay and 3 or 4 year contract and he goes.
    And we get compensation 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Their first would have been ruled out with VAR 100%

Swings and roundabouts of course

What are your grounds for disallowing? The 4 Charlton players didn't deal with the loose ball despite holding it in between the three of them. Then their player simply taps it through to their mountain of muscle. At which point everyone was back on side.
  • Options
    Poor defending cost us the goal.
  • Options
    The player who scored the goal is in an offside position the moment the player strikes the shot. 

Simples. 
  • Options
    Yeah but it wasn't criminal defneding
  • Options
    The player who scored the goal is in an offside position the moment the player strikes the shot. 

Simples. 
    Not that simple. The ball didn't go straight through to him, Charlton players messed around with it first before losing it by which time the scorer was back onside. Different phase of play than the initial shot.
  • Options
    Not simples. 

Being in an offside position is not an offence in itself, but a player so positioned when the ball is played by a teammate can be judged guilty of an offside offence if they become "involved in active play", "interfere with an opponent", or "gain an advantage" by being in that position. 

This was two phases, phase one, his position for the first shot... He was in an offside position, yet no advantage was gained.

In the second Charlton have the ball in possession and lost it, during this he is in an onside position and remains so when the ball is toe poked to him.

• Options
    It just shows how tight this division is that no game so far this weekend has had a winning margin above 1 goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah but it wasn't criminal defneding
    Really? You don't think that was criminally poor defending to have 4 players around the ball and lose it.
  • Options
    I did at the time. We can panic a bit in those situations.
  • Options
    Plenty of situations this seasons we have blocked shot after shot, that's harsh, it just got stuck under their feet. Can't compare it to switching off
  • Options
    In my honest opinion there is no second phase, it's all in the first phase of play. 
    The eventual scorer is bang in line with Phillips as the first strike comes in. 
  • Options
    I will wait for @PeterGage to clarify for everyone though. 
  • Options
    But without VAR you can't blame the officials for missing it and they missed a penalty for Cardiff that VAR may have given. As the OP said - it is swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    I'm not blaming anyone, as I said in first comment, swings and roundabouts but the argument was in the thread if it was offside or not, in my opinion 100%

Aint gonna change the result but I think it shows it was. 
  • Options
    Out of interest when was the last time we dropped points from being 2-0 up. I've been wracking my brain but can't think of a recent game - certainly not with Bows in charge.

Anyone....??
  • Options
    Out of interest when was the last time we dropped points from being 2-0 up. I've been wracking my brain but can't think of a recent game - certainly not with Bows in charge.

Anyone....??
    Evening home game to Bolton I think?

December 2015 when Karel was "interm head coach".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not simples. 

Being in an offside position is not an offence in itself, but a player so positioned when the ball is played by a teammate can be judged guilty of an offside offence if they become "involved in active play", "interfere with an opponent", or "gain an advantage" by being in that position. 

This was two phases, phase one, his position for the first shot... He was in an offside position, yet no advantage was gained.

In the second Charlton have the ball in possession and lost it, during this he is in an onside position and remains so when the ball is toe poked to him.

What second phase of play?

I must've been asleep then
  • Options
    Being proud etc doesn’t keep you in the league 
  • Options
    But without VAR you can't blame the officials for missing it and they missed a penalty for Cardiff that VAR may have given. As the OP said - it is swings and roundabouts.
    I thought there was a foul on us in the build up to the not given penalty

they could have had a player sent off for stamping 

more swings than roundabouts yesterday
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not simples. 

What second phase of play?

I must've been asleep then
    The second phase begins from the block in which we took control of the ball and pissed around with it. 

We then lost the ball to a toe poked pass by their player onto the muscle mountain who had retreated back onside before the pass is made, he then punts it into goal.
  • Options
    Mronelung.I think we vare all looking down the table not up.you are not alone.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LMFAO 

Viewfinder said:
    Phillips 6.5
    Matthews 6.5
    Lockyer 7
    Pearce 7
    Purrington 6.5
    Oshilaja 6.5
    Cullen 6.5
    Gallagher 7
    Oztumer 6.5
    Bonne 7.5
    Leko 6.5
    Morgan 5.5
    Doughty n/a
    The ref  7

• Options
    Beat luton and sheff weds in 7 days and start to eek our way back into this mix! Taylor back by then hopefully to smash the xmas period into pieces. 
    Hopefully doughty comes on will be like a new signing. Start  him v luton i reckon
  • Options
    great on the break poor in defence as we let yet another lead slip away .. when will we get a break from all these injuries .. on the bright side, Doughty (great name, persistent, tough, gritty) came on and looked good as did Morgan .. wonderful that the academy is still producing talented and 'oven ready' youngsters, err ready for action that is ((:>)
  • Options
    Let's be thankful for what we have in bowyer and the players and the fans who make the awsome atmosphere this season.
    Was at goodison yesterday in upper gladys street and the whole of the 1st half and most of the 2nd you could have heard a pin drop untill it turned toxic if you had been there and witnessed that than it puts our problems into perspective 
    After that I'm proud I'm behind bowyer and the team 
    Coyr roll on sat back at the valley
  • Options
    Disappointing after being 2-0 up.

I know he scored but Leko had a shocker constantly gave the ball away, half hearted challenges can see why WBA don’t rate him.

Bonne different class, never gave up and looked confident, really hope we can get him and Taylor on the pitch together.

Nice cameo from young Alfie.

we need to not lose at Luton whatever team we manage get out.
    I do not think he is not rated by WBA, just a work in progress, hence sending him to a manager who has form in developing players. Thought after he scored he stepped up and was no worse than others