Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Cardiff | Sat 23 Nov | 12:30 KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Decent game would have loved us to have scored the winner late on.
    Really impressed by Alfie Doughty and I have always rated Albie.
    Think both are good enough for Championship but realise Bow knows
    they can't be overplayed.
    Have thought with all our injuries cannot Naby be made into
    a make shift striker with his height and build. Would love to
    see him tried upfront maybe as late sub. But suppose at
    the moment with all the injuries expect him to be on the pitch at Luton.
    Bow need minimum three year contract, are you listening Roland!
    Because if Leeds come in for him next season we would get compensation.
    No brainer!
  • Options
    Out of interest when was the last time we dropped points from being 2-0 up. I've been wracking my brain but can't think of a recent game - certainly not with Bows in charge.

Anyone....??
    The only one I can think of was in Dec 2015 v Bolton. Lookman scored 2 and it ended 2-2. There may well have been others between then and yesterday but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. 
  • Options
    One thing that niggled me a bit was Leko. He scored a decent goal but it feels he gets it wrong more than right and it frustrates me because he has a lot of ability. I was a big supporter of Carl Leaburn, and it frustrated me that a number of fans couldn't see what he brought to the team. But he had a flaw that held him back from a higher level. That is the instinct that the defender might miss it. Of course nine times out of ten they don't, but you miss out on goals if you assume that ball isn't going to run through. Leko was guilty of it today and it needs drumming into him as an improvement required in his game. 
    Carlo played in the Prem for Wimbledon. To be fair, he was never England class. 
  • Options
    From that still Osilaja Pearce and Lockyer are not only marking nobody, but they have their backs to attackers who are yards away. 
  • Options

I wonder how Hull would be doing if Jared Bowen had been out for the past 10 games.....scored both for Hull today. And Asombalonga & Randolph for 'Boro.
  • Options
    Decent game would have loved us to have scored the winner late on.
    Really impressed by Alfie Doughty and I have always rated Albie.
    Think both are good enough for Championship but realise Bow knows
    they can't be overplayed.
    Have thought with all our injuries cannot Naby be made into
    a make shift striker with his height and build. Would love to
    see him tried upfront maybe as late sub. But suppose at
    the moment with all the injuries expect him to be on the pitch at Luton.
    Bow need minimum three year contract, are you listening Roland!
    Because if Leeds come in for him next season we would get compensation.
    No brainer!
    For most sane people yes. Unfortunately the fuckwit that owns the club is insane. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Back into the mix?! The literal sole objective is survival
    Back in the mix I looking at 3rd at least even if top 2 is just slightly out of reach due to our very mini wobble
  • Options
    Out of interest when was the last time we dropped points from being 2-0 up. I've been wracking my brain but can't think of a recent game - certainly not with Bows in charge.

Anyone....??
    The only one I can think of was in Dec 2015 v Bolton. Lookman scored 2 and it ended 2-2. There may well have been others between then and yesterday but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. 
    Brighton away in the relegation season, lost 3-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Some people assuming that the squad we have now is all we'll have for the season.
    We've got more injuries than anybody could imagine - but players will return and the squad will become stronger.

The window opens in 5 weeks time; there will be wheeling and dealing ....... Steve Gallen hinted recently that we're looking to strengthen in January - and gave the impression that he believes some funding will be available.

Of course, we're still shopping in the bargain basement - but then Gallen & Co do have a good eye for the right sort of player at the right price.

You dont have to spend a ton of money in Football to find the right players...

Absolute myth that you've got to spend millions to be successful

Provided you've got the right scouting system (which we do, in a way) then you'll find the right players at a cheaper price than others just because they're a well known name
    I'm sorry mate, but it is not a myth at all. I don't like the bloke much, but Stefan Szymanski has pretty much proved it. Good management improves things a bit, Chris Powell's Champions were not the biggest spenders that season; but we were up there. Most of the league saw us as a Big Club. If you have the lowest wage bill in the league, Szymanski's work suggests you will finish up relegated. 

And you'd think that RD would understand that, fucking maths genius that he (thinks he) is.
    That's the thing with Roland though isn't it; you tell him something can't be done, he'll see that as a perfect opportunity to prove to everyone that he's always the genius in the room. If he can get what he wants, great. If he can get what he wants using a method everyone else said wouldn't work, even better. If his way fails he'll just keep doing it his way until he dies, and he'll never admit he was wrong right up to the end.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Back into the mix?! The literal sole objective is survival
    Back in the mix I looking at 3rd at least even if top 2 is just slightly out of reach due to our very mini wobble
    We're lucky if we end up in the top half. Genuinely. 
  • Options
    Impressed with doughty. Looked very dangerous when he came on. Little oz was brilliant and bonnes hold up play and knock ons were very well executed.

Knew we wouldn't win as soon as we started singing Harris what's the score.
    Why is it when the cardiff fans have been quiet for about 15 minutes or so some muppet in the upper north starts a chant ‘your support is fcking ahit’ And other muppets up there join in and wake up the away fans and encourage them to get behind their team ?
    Exactly, we're dominating, so some think "let's see how we can get the Cardiff supporters to back their team, in order to encourage a come back".
    It worked 2-0 back to 2-2.
    You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not even half way through the season and people are writing off our season! 

Once the injured players start coming back we'll be fine. 

We are mid table quality when we have no depth. 

Just imagine where we'd be if we had some depth.
    Who’s writing off the season , staying up is our only realistic ambition , promotion thoughts are for the delusional .

9 points from 11 games are the harsh reality of where we’re at as the season takes it toll with our paper thin squad .
    of course In fantasy land our first eleven never get injured and we’re knocking on the play off door but this isn’t fantasy football , this is a tough league and 4th bottom is the aim for us this season with our lame owner .
    No 4th bottom is not our aim. It's our first goal to be safe from relegation, but even Bowyer has said, we achieve that then re-evaluate.

Our goal will change as the season goes on, but if 4th bottom is your goal when we've already proven ourselves to be as good as any of the 3 relegated from the premier league last season and better than half the teams we've played, you keep that goal. 

Personally I think it's realistic for us to finish anywhere from 12th to 18th but we'll have to see.
    We are 9 points above the relegation zone.
    If the 9 point gap remains the same, we won't be safe until the end of April, with 2/3 games remaining.
    If we are safe with 5 games to go that will be some achievement. 

The only re-evaluating we may be doing is whether to go for broke in the last couple of games or rest up a couple of players to give the younger lads another game.

Personally, I think it's realistic for us to finish anywhere from 12th to 23rd.
  • Options
    Thought LB's interview was a cry for help!

Can CARD come up with some sort of idea how to support Lee but heap pressure on the Douch????

It's clear Lee wants to stay which is a minor miracle considering our recent history!

We will lose him and the backroom staff especially once we get safe (being positive)
    if nothing is forthcoming from Belgium. 
    Read what Gallen said about it:

https://www.castrust.org/2019/11/gallen-lee-is-desperate-to-stay/

Surely the Covered End could at least get a chant going?
    Really please that you picked up on this & have mentioned it here @Weegie Addick.

I only read the notes from the meeting yesterday & wondered why there had been no reference to it following their publication. 

I'm assuming that finding the fine line between criticising RD & finding the right words to let him know our feelings about Bow's contract situation et al is a difficult one .....

...and possibly needs some creative input from others apart from the North Standers. 

Anyone ? 

Feckin quote thingy !!!!!
    Sign Lee up sign Lee up sign Lee up
    Sign Lee up sign Lee up sign Lee up

and carry on for a few minutes
  • Options
    Sorry to disagree, but I think Duchatelet is so thick skinned that he would totally ignore anything but the sound of money rattling in someone's pocket. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Lots of helmets about spouting absolute nonsence around me today. 

I don't mind swearing, shouting, at all but commentating all fucking game about how shit everyone is. 

The commentary through the game from some is fucking annoying and swear it'll end up in a row before the end of the season. 

Today weren't to be, bonne was great, looks a seasoned champ striker after 10 games or whatever. Loved seeing Albie back, kid is class, add a better Oztumer, seeing doughty get minutes, Gallagher being Gallagher and then watching a prem side last season nick a draw, time waste against a team with 10 injuries who've spent fck all money playing a team of youngsters I've walked away happy regardless. 

Great performance, marred by a couple of episodes of bad luck conceding. 

We had 10 similar chances that they scored two.
    Just one of them days

I could see our weak link today but not going to jump in two footed on him. 

COYR
    Totally agree. The helmets at our club are putting me off going more than Duchatelet. 
    I really hate that incestuous song that leaves the mouths of so many in the Covered end.  We are now it seems PC enough to have cut out racist and homophobic chants, but not so however, in accusing our visitors at the Valley of shagging sisters, mothers, brothers and sheep.  

Parents bringing young children to the Valley may well be prepared for a bit of colourful language, but not so much for the bestiality chanting. 
  • Options
    Morgan and Doughty both held their own. If either of them was starting on Tuesday I wouldn’t be worried. 

Really enjoyable match. Hopefully, Cullen won’t be out for too long. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Lots of helmets about spouting absolute nonsence around me today. 

I don't mind swearing, shouting, at all but commentating all fucking game about how shit everyone is. 

The commentary through the game from some is fucking annoying and swear it'll end up in a row before the end of the season. 

Today weren't to be, bonne was great, looks a seasoned champ striker after 10 games or whatever. Loved seeing Albie back, kid is class, add a better Oztumer, seeing doughty get minutes, Gallagher being Gallagher and then watching a prem side last season nick a draw, time waste against a team with 10 injuries who've spent fck all money playing a team of youngsters I've walked away happy regardless. 

Great performance, marred by a couple of episodes of bad luck conceding. 

We had 10 similar chances that they scored two.
    Just one of them days

I could see our weak link today but not going to jump in two footed on him. 

COYR
    Totally agree. The helmets at our club are putting me off going more than Duchatelet. 
    I really hate that incestuous song that leaves the mouths of so many in the Covered end.  We are now it seems PC enough to have cut out racist and homophobic chants, but not so however, in accusing our visitors at the Valley of shagging sisters, mothers, brothers and sheep.  

Parents bringing young children to the Valley may well be prepared for a bit of colourful language, but not so much for the bestiality chanting. 
    A few years ago following a home game against Cardiff I was walking back up Floyd Road when a group of Charlton were singing the sheep  shagging song.
    A Cardiff fan answered yes we shag them and then you eat them.
    A good reply I thought  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Good reads as always.  I would’ve taken a point prior to the game after 2 defeats in a row to stop the rot.  Being 2 up and finishing 2-2 is frustrating, but that team and our management are giving everything and then some at the moment.  I really cannot ask more of them and what they give us week in week out against the backdrop of injuries, the players available and the fact we were a League One team last season.

the good start was probably a bit of a false dawn when you look outside our first XI, but in the same way I see a lot of people talk about our form over the last 9 games, this dip is a bit of a false picture as to where will be as players come back.  

I was annoyed that we still look suspect on set pieces, their first coming from a corner.  Overall, with the players out there and the fact that after we got pegged back to 2-2, the way we didn’t fold and were still trying to find a winner, tells me all I need to know about this mob and reaffirms my belief in just how good it is under Bowyer.  Every single player pretty much gives 100% consistently.  Was really pleased with Oztumer and Oshilaja.  Both of them having been on the fringes, put a proper shift in.  

What I like about Oshilaja is his mobility.  He seems a lot more mobile than Pearce, Lockyer and Sarr, and I think he could be a good option ahead of Sarr when we play a back 3.  He also seemed to be able to come into midfield and break up play when Cullen went off.  

Cullen will be a huge loss.  Says it all about the make up of the squad when 2 of the best players recently have been a 19 and a 21 year old on loan.

we need bodies back now, because however good Morgan and Doughty’s cameos were, it’s not fair on them to start games on a regular basis.  We’ll have no choice at the moment, but one bad game and their heads could go down, plus they are still developing physically 

For me, I don’t think you can ask for anymore of this team and this management. They are making very proud to be a Charlton fan and how they are digging in and showing the sort of resolve they have 
    The back 5 only works when Pratley is the extra defender, thus allowing him to transition between midfield and the defence. Without Sam Field this isn’t possible. Thought Deji did well and is another option.

Pleased we tried something different than the 3-5-2.
  • Options
    Awful penalty. At that moment, I thought we were on the way to three points. 

Doughty and Morgan looked OK at this level.

With more composure BT both teams in front of goal that could have been 10-5 to us. 
  • Options
    Phillips  kicking was less erratic, saved what he had to save, decent overall
    Matthews  looked decent, fair turn of pace too
    Lockyer  decent
    Pearce  typically robust performance
    Purrington  familiarly reliable
    Oshilaja  passing early on was dreadful and dangerous, improved slightly, industrious, rusty perhaps?
    Cullen  losing him was predictably pivotal
    Gallagher  soldiered on masterfully with the accumulation of injuries assaulted upon him by the neanderthal cynicism of the knuckle dragging sheepshaggers
    Oztumer  same as for CG, eventually succumbed to the persecution
    Bonne  really good
    Leko  made 2 correct decisions, norsed up all the rest and faded from the game to such an extent that he didn't even recognise his own name and number when belatedly subbed off, apparently talented but has a crippling combination of fragile ego and thick as 2 short planks
    Morgan  looked like he'd never been away
    Doughty first contribution was tremendous, here's hoping that's him in a nutshell
    The ref sort of let the game flow but to the detriment of our midfielders' accumulated injuries meted out by the clogging ovis botherers and stood effetely by while the trogs wasted aeons of time after their equaliser.
  • Options
    Whilst Morgan and Doughty did well when they came on, we shouldn't get too excited. We need more evidence both are ready. let's hope we get it.
  • Options
    Watching Leko closely, it seems to be that he has a touch of the Franz Carr's about him - that is one for the old lifer's!

What I mean by that is that, is that his best asset is obviously his pace, but he seems so determined to show that he has more to offer that he seems reluctant to use it, so ends up making it more complicated than it needs to be.

This means that rather than running beyond the last man, as he did for his goal, he ends up coming short trying to link the play, and ends up making bad decisions, and costing us possession.

Definitely a player in there, but whether we get to see it in the year that we have him, I am not so sure.

• Options
    Watching Leko closely, it seems to be that he has a touch of the Franz Carr's about him - that is one for the old lifer's!

What I mean by that is that, is that his best asset is obviously his pace, but he seems so determined to show that he has more to offer that he seems reluctant to use it, so ends up making it more complicated than it needs to be.

This means that rather than running beyond the last man, as he did for his goal, he ends up coming short trying to link the play, and ends up making bad decisions, and costing us possession.

Definitely a player in there, but whether we get to see it in the year that we have him, I am not so sure.

I agree, and Bows has made him a better player - 4 goals in 15 for us. The rest of his career? 1 in the other 34. Total now is 5 in 49.

For me he is more winger than striker at the moment. He took his goal really well on Saturday and has the potential to be a good striker, but he needs to get on the shoulder more so he can use his pace, and move from the centre to the wing to receive the ball at pace.

Too often he is standing still to receive the ball. He has a lovely touch and a box of tricks, but need to use these skills with the pace. I am not sure if he will ever have a better chance to make that progression and being more focused on scoring would make him more direct and he could surprise himself.
  • Options
    When the season started,I looked at the squad and thought ,who is he going to leave out every week,no one could have foreseen this injury crisis.
    With regards Bowyers contract,the main fear for me is West Ham,Peligreni cant last much lomger,bowyer would not have to move house,and he would be a popular manager with the West Ham fans.

• Options
    The wait to see a victory goes on... The Friday the 13th annoyance for me will be a blessing for the rest of you. 
  • Options
    When the season started,I looked at the squad and thought ,who is he going to leave out every week,no one could have foreseen this injury crisis.
    With regards Bowyers contract,the main fear for me is West Ham,Peligreni cant last much lomger,bowyer would not have to move house,and he would be a popular manager with the West Ham fans.

Fortunately, West Ham will look abroad.