Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Queens Park Rangers v Charlton | Sat 21 Dec | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    As I said on the match thread, we were awful first 30 mins & should have been 3 down. Played a lot better once we went 5 at the back & Dougherty is a natural wingback.....so much better than Purrington as some of his forays in the 2nd half were excellent, esp the one that ended up with his shot narrowly missing the far post. I still think Oshilaja should be given a go at right wingback.....but Solly should never play in front of either him or Matthews.

Thought Gallagher needs a rest (obvs cant atm) and the front 2 see feeding off scraps. Lyle opportunistic for his goal but nothing falling for Bonne atm. Gutted about Leko.

As for our fans. Ones around me were constantly slagging off Taylor, saying he should go & he's not putting the effort in. I wonder if they'll change their tune now we've heard LB's update. Fans also very quiet 2nd half.....no singing at all. I know we are in ths middle of a slump but almost 2800 of us & you could hear a pin drop. More noise at the tube station afterwards......

MOTM.........Phillips. his saves kept us in it. Without him we would have lost by 4 or 5.
    What end were you in? We were loud up until our equaliser and deafening until they got their second. Atmosphere dipped after that but the scenes were unreal at the end. 
    That is certainly how it sounded on the stream, and Greg and his co-commentator praised them to the rafters.

Mind you Golfie has a point about muppets slagging off Lyle Taylor, you can find them on Twitter, but that's what they are, muppets.
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish first 30, could and should have been at least 3 down. Bowyer needs to learn that if you play a flat back 4 you must use your best defenders ie Pearce and Solly. Purrington not been the same since the injury. I feel Deji is being underused. Not won a game that Matthews gas played in. 

Morgan and Doughty outstanding. I dream of a Lockyer/Baeur pairing and Taylor Grant up front.  Oh well. 

The added time was confusing.  I went to loo after 4 added so missed the goal but not the celebrations. Ran past so many fans back to the station who had already left who wanted to know who scored.  Must have been at least 100 fans. Shit stadium but have to say thought QPR were impressive and if they could stiffen their defence are possible play off material. 
    Matthews has been decent to be fair, harsh on calling him out as being weak and saying the opposite on Pearce when he has been poor recently. 
    Ranges from 8 to 4 on the player marks. Funny how people see things so differently. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    As I said on the match thread, we were awful first 30 mins & should have been 3 down. Played a lot better once we went 5 at the back & Dougherty is a natural wingback.....so much better than Purrington as some of his forays in the 2nd half were excellent, esp the one that ended up with his shot narrowly missing the far post. I still think Oshilaja should be given a go at right wingback.....but Solly should never play in front of either him or Matthews.

Thought Gallagher needs a rest (obvs cant atm) and the front 2 see feeding off scraps. Lyle opportunistic for his goal but nothing falling for Bonne atm. Gutted about Leko.

As for our fans. Ones around me were constantly slagging off Taylor, saying he should go & he's not putting the effort in. I wonder if they'll change their tune now we've heard LB's update. Fans also very quiet 2nd half.....no singing at all. I know we are in ths middle of a slump but almost 2800 of us & you could hear a pin drop. More noise at the tube station afterwards......

MOTM.........Phillips. his saves kept us in it. Without him we would have lost by 4 or 5.
    What end were you in? We were loud up until our equaliser and deafening until they got their second. Atmosphere dipped after that but the scenes were unreal at the end. 
    Away end........far right above the corner flag. Very quite last 20 mins after they scored & certainly nowhere near the usual away games of recent years (Pompey, Wimbledon & then Reading this year)
  • Options
    redman said:
    Matthews: 4 - thought he was poor all round

Sarr: 5 - poor, at fault for the goal and almost another when they had a close call. Took his goal extremely well though

Pearce: 5.5 - run ragged for goal. His leadership helped us improve in 1st half after a dreadful start

• Options
    We had company this afternoon so I recorded the Valley Pass commentary and I've just finished listening to it.

Bugger me, what a finish - so much better than last week!

The way Nath was screaming in commentary I thought he was going to having a "Scanners" moment.

Time to read the match thread and then catch up with the comments on here ...
  • Options
    8 days ago it was heartbreak as we conceded with the last attack of the match to draw 2-2, today was a complete 360 and complete delirium. 

A strange match, as it went in phases. We were AWFUL at the start, and could have been 3-0 down after 25 minutes. The change of formation definitely improved things and we looked good before and after half time. 

NB Bowyer, that goal came from a Morgan shot, hard and low. Yes he isn't the finished article, but our record WITH him in the side in recent weeks is a lot better than the record without him.

Bright Samuel comes on and torments us, more crap defending and it was 2-1

After that we were rubbish, and QPR should have finished us off. Bowyer's final throw of the dice frankly looked desperate, as after being sent up front Naby didn't win a single header. But in a delicious repeat of last week, crap defending of a punt into the box saw the away team equalise, the sort of moments of joy that make the torture the rest of the time worthwhile! Good finish by Naby, and with his wrong foot as well.

Leko will be a big loss, but Doughty played well, Gallagher gave 100% as usual and Morgan showed class when he came on. Taylor was much better in the second half, he seemed to come alive. Sadly the defensive woes are making it really hard for us to win matches. 
  • Options
    One thing I like about Matthews is his ability to pick out a player in space from a throw in. So often we seem to waste out throw ins and he can actually use them effectively - although, saying that, it hasn't come to anything as of yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    It is a pity that Pratley was booked for dissent, such an experienced player should know better
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish first 30, could and should have been at least 3 down. Bowyer needs to learn that if you play a flat back 4 you must use your best defenders ie Pearce and Solly. Purrington not been the same since the injury. I feel Deji is being underused. Not won a game that Matthews gas played in. 

Morgan and Doughty outstanding. I dream of a Lockyer/Baeur pairing and Taylor Grant up front.  Oh well. 

The added time was confusing.  I went to loo after 4 added so missed the goal but not the celebrations. Ran past so many fans back to the station who had already left who wanted to know who scored.  Must have been at least 100 fans. Shit stadium but have to say thought QPR were impressive and if they could stiffen their defence are possible play off material. 
    Matthews has been decent to be fair, harsh on calling him out as being weak and saying the opposite on Pearce when he has been poor recently. 
    Solly is a better defender but Matthews offers a more attacking option.  When you regularly ship 2 goals a game me you tighten up. bowyer has chosen not to. Pearce is far more reliable than Sarr but hopefully both will be gone next year as both not Championship standard.
    Don’t think Matthews has been particularly decent tbh. Gets forward a little bit better than Solly but he’s not particularly any quicker, doesn’t have a trick and isn’t exactly swinging in a relentless supply of dangerous crosses. He’s no better defensively either. He’s okay, I guess, but I think he’s getting credit he doesn’t deserve because he’s new, whereas Solly is pretty much his equal but draws much more criticism because he’s been around for years. 

Deji gives us more than both of them at the moment, I think. At least at wing back. Send much more athletic getting up and down the touch line. Not sure why he seems to be stuck on the bench. Perhaps Bowyer worried about injuries and having all four of his centre back options playing at once 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a gig last night, cane back for 2nd half, fell asleep at 2:1, got up to follow the end of the thread for it's all so familiar conclusion until our own Judah the Maccabian gave us a Hanuka Miracle.
    Sarr you Santa sweetie !!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Can’t beat a last minute goal for a loop and injured shins etc i bet in that away end .

I thought all the refs were against us with their time keeping ,  no bleating today about the time keeping .

A good point but the run of 11 points from 17 games has seen the bunch behind tighten up
    7 points from bottom,  we are in 18th place
    6 points from a relegation spot
    4 teams from the relegation spot
    7 points from 14th place QPR 

we need a miracle (takeover being that miracle ) or we’ll need a different one to stay up .
    this team will miss one of its most inventive players in Leko , Bonne magnificent in first half dozen or so games but the reality is he’s been a passenger in recent times and is beginning to look out of his depth , as with others a rest is required .
    injury after injury is making it more impossible , their all giving their all but that’s not gonna be good enough , the results are there .

Every team we play looks better than us , we have to get a win , I don’t know how and don’t know where but I know we’ll win again some sunny day .....shit it’s winter and no sun for ages ...

0.5%    7th-12th ............................ 74.5%   13th-21st ..........................25%  Relegation
  • Options
    Naby is the most technically gifted player in our squad. Fact.
    I’m just off to fact-check that. 
    Didn’t take long @cantersaddick
    Resounding no! 😉
    I don't know how you fact-checked that, FactCheckUK seems to have disappeared.
  • Options
    We had company this afternoon so I recorded the Valley Pass commentary and I've just finished listening to it.

Bugger me, what a finish - so much better than last week!

The way Nath was screaming in commentary I thought he was going to having a "Scanners" moment.

Time to read the match thread and then catch up with the comments on here ...
    That's a great moment in Scanners, but I thought it was the highlight of a film that petered out.
  • Options
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate just how good Dillon Phillips is? Have to say when he first came into the side last year he looked shaky and I was worried. How wrong I was, will be the next of our players plying his trade in the PL. Still only 24 as well. Keep it up Dill, total class.
    His kicking can be woeful at times and he doesn't come to claim crosses anything like as much as he said, witness the first goal yesterday.  I'm pleased we have him but he's not PL class so I'm pleased we'll be having him for a long time yet.
  • Options
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate just how good Dillon Phillips is? Have to say when he first came into the side last year he looked shaky and I was worried. How wrong I was, will be the next of our players plying his trade in the PL. Still only 24 as well. Keep it up Dill, total class.
    His kicking can be woeful at times and he doesn't come to claim crosses anything like as much as he said, witness the first goal yesterday.  I'm pleased we have him but he's not PL class so I'm pleased we'll be having him for a long time yet.
    You could be describing Dean Kiely there... one if the best keepers we’ve ever had. 
  • Options
    That ball for the first goal yesterday wasn't his to claim. Goalkeepers that come for balls that far from their line will, probably 8 times out of 10, be made to look silly.
    Sometimes you just have to rely on your defenders to defend. It's a percentage call and his call yesterday was correct.