Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Queens Park Rangers v Charlton | Sat 21 Dec | 3pm KO | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate just how good Dillon Phillips is? Have to say when he first came into the side last year he looked shaky and I was worried. How wrong I was, will be the next of our players plying his trade in the PL. Still only 24 as well. Keep it up Dill, total class.
    His kicking can be woeful at times and he doesn't come to claim crosses anything like as much as he said, witness the first goal yesterday.  I'm pleased we have him but he's not PL class so I'm pleased we'll be having him for a long time yet.
    That ball for the first goal yesterday wasn't his to claim. Goalkeepers that come for balls that far from their line will, probably 8 times out of 10, be made to look silly.
    Sometimes you just have to rely on your defenders to defend. It's a percentage call and his call yesterday was correct. 
    Agreed - the defenders should have dealt with it.
  • Options
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate just how good Dillon Phillips is? Have to say when he first came into the side last year he looked shaky and I was worried. How wrong I was, will be the next of our players plying his trade in the PL. Still only 24 as well. Keep it up Dill, total class.
    He wont get near the premiership unless he starts coming out to claim balls and sorts his kicking out.
  • Options
    rina said:
    I'm not sure Naby deserves all the blame for the opener. Yes he should've done better with it but he had every right to expect Dillon to have come out and taken the ball rather than backing away onto his line as it came in

And I feel a little sorry for Pearce as he got made to look a fool for their 2nd but Osayi-Samuel did that to our entire defence on numerous occasions, he was a class above everyone else on the pitch once he came on

Doughty was superb, never stopped trying and their right back must've been glad when the final whistle went
    100% this! Dills is obviously under strict instruction to stay rooted and not to come out and claim the ball but there have been a few times now where he probably should have come out and met the ball (yesterday, Hulls 1st and 2nd, Doncaster’s late leveller in the playoffs). 

Don’t get me wrong, he is a brilliant keeper but I can’t help but think that if he did come off his line for crosses he would make our defence immediately less suspect.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    What does Morgan have to do to start ?
    If Morgan is fit on boxing Day he will start.
    No Leko, Williams, Oztumer, surely he must start. In Bowyer we trust but Vennings getting the nod over Albie the other week to come on as sub still baffles me.
    Quite rightly Alfie gets praise from Lee, but Albie needs the boost from the manager as well.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    No Leko, Williams, Oztumer, surely he must start. In Bowyer we trust but Vennings getting the nod over Albie the other week to come on as sub still baffles me.
    Quite rightly Alfie gets praise from Lee, but Albie needs the boost from the manager as well.
    Blooding Vennings as we might be needing him if things carry on like this?
  • Options
    Different venue, different competition but some comparisons with our Wembley triumph last May albeit the last gasp goals, the abiding memory on both occasions.

7 months ago our Nabster played his part in the nightmeire start to the match.

Today, despite a less than 100% performance in defence, that same player turned from zero to hero. Bless his cotton socks ! 

Ben " Mr Reliable" Purrington took the deserved plaudits for bringing us back into the Play Off Final. 

Today, sadly he looked a shadow of the player we saw that day. We can only hope he is able to get back on track.

3 lads whose performances in both games were consistent - Darren Pratley , Dillon Phillips and, despite a long lay off, our returning Main Man up front. All continuing to do what they do best, giving everything for the team. 

2 young players on the cusp of advancement in their football careers - Joe Aribo & Anfernee Dijksteel played important roles in the Wembley win but now playing their trades north of Watford.

Today, 2 younger but very exciting young men were possibly the outstanding performers for the Addicks - Albie Morgan & Alfie Doughty. Long may their exciting contributions & development continue in our first team squad. 

The rigours of the Championship are inevitably taking their toll on certain members of the squad, whilst the injury list grows longer every week, increasing the pressure on those fit enough to  make it onto the pitch and becoming a major factor for ongoing changes in the matchday personnel. 

Through it all, one man & his management team continue to work their miracles with the meagre resources they have & despite the current struggle to add much needed points to our total, ingrain in their players a never say die attitude & the fight to the "death" mentality. And continue to engender the pride in wearing THE shirt. NO-ONE can argue with that, surely ?

THIS is the main reason why we are not down & out despite all the cruel setbacks since this difficult season began. The spirit, the energy and the desire to put exhausted bodies on the line time & time again stems from what happens at Sparrows Lane and from the touchline every matchday. We are truly blessed to have Bow & JJ at the hem of our ship.

Naby's equaliser sent us all home far happier than we would have believed when the board showing 5 minutes was lifted up and the lads will go again in 5 days' time. Let's raise the roof on Boxing Day & get "revenge " for that desperately late winning goal in Bristol.

Top of my Christmas list is to wish the announcement we're all hoping for comes very soon and that we are then gradually able to stabilise & cement our place in this challenging league. Everyone concerned with/about our famous football club deserves this for sure.

And finally, the Fanackapans would like to wish all you lovely Lifers a Very Happy Christmas & a special 2020. 

We love you All ! 
    x

A Fanny tour de force after midnight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Blooding Vennings as we might be needing him if things carry on like this?
    You could argue that it cost us 1, maybe 3 points.  Vennings really isn't ready, and as something like 15th choice, shouldn't be expected to be. That isn't his, or anyone else's fault.  Morgan on the other hand splits opinion, most it would seem on here, think he is ready and that he adds a lot.  Bowyer on the other hand doesn't agree, for what ever reason.

Bowyer, in all honesty, is probably right.  If we hadn't gone up last season he probably would have get pelters over not playing Fosu. I trust Bowyer 100% but this does puzzle me. 
  • Options
    It is a pity that Pratley was booked for dissent, such an experienced player should know better
    I think he used all his experience about 5 minutes later when he refrained from smearing his nose across his face the prefect looking little cn.... 
  • Options
    His kicking can be woeful at times and he doesn't come to claim crosses anything like as much as he said, witness the first goal yesterday.  I'm pleased we have him but he's not PL class so I'm pleased we'll be having him for a long time yet.
    That ball for the first goal yesterday wasn't his to claim. Goalkeepers that come for balls that far from their line will, probably 8 times out of 10, be made to look silly.
    Sometimes you just have to rely on your defenders to defend. It's a percentage call and his call yesterday was correct. 
    Probably agree with that, just... 
    However this is a massive threat to us every week as he doesn't come to claim or punch enough, when he does he does it well which makes it more annoying when he doesn't. 
  • Options
    Simmo's very moderate looking away record at Loftus Road...

P15 W4 D3 L8  - For 15 Against 24 

Yesterday was more fun than a couple of the wins! 
  • Options
    However this is a massive threat to us every week as he doesn't come to claim or punch enough, when he does he does it well which makes it more annoying when he doesn't. 
    It's hardly a massive threat - I'd be more inclined to look at the rest of the defence. Phillips is a very good keeper and can improve but some of the criticism of him seems OTT - we'd be a lot worse off without him.

I've yet to see the perfect keeper.
  • Options
    Other than the last minute goal conceded to Hull, Dillion have made a myriad of  goal line clearances including about 3 in that Hull game. If Dillion could come off his line and punch well, he wouldn't still be at Charlton.
    David de Gea Is a great goal line stopper but on many occasions looks weak in the air including last week against Everton.
  • Options
    If the defence and midfield stopped some of the crosses coming in in the first place then there wouldn't be as much debate about to punch or not to punch.
  • Options
    It's hardly a massive threat - I'd be more inclined to look at the rest of the defence. Phillips is a very good keeper and can improve but some of the criticism of him seems OTT - we'd be a lot worse off without him.

I've yet to see the perfect keeper.
    Ah mate, I'm honestly not digging him out and wouldn't, even after the howler at Wembley. 

He's so young still as well, I think he could go very far with this added to his game. 

He's 2nd choice in my POTY at the moment. 

He does save us big time every game. 
  • Options
    Other than the last minute goal conceded to Hull, Dillion have made a myriad of  goal line clearances including about 3 in that Hull game. If Dillion could come off his line and punch well, he wouldn't still be at Charlton.
    David de Gea Is a great goal line stopper but on many occasions looks weak in the air including last week against Everton.
    Again, as per my reply above, I agree with everything you have said. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I see Premiership keepers make mistakes every week - a good keeper keeps mistakes to a minimum.

Sometimes we spend too much time focussing on weaknesses and not enough on strengths. It's been a hard season so far for Dillon and he's done really well. I don't think distribution will ever be his strong point but as a shot stopper he's excellent and as for crosses I'm unclear as to how LB tells the defence to deal with them.

One of the better Championship keepers for me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that was the most porous our defence has been all season. You could have driven a coach and horses through them.

Lockyer & Phillips are the only 2 defenders playing at Championship level.

Purrington is getting worse by the week. It may be to do with having to play him when injured some weeks back. 

Doughty, Morgan, Gallagher & Pratley all played well.

Taylor was good & Bonne showed very little again. He appears to have gone into his shell/lost confidence since Taylor returned.

We never looked like grabbing an equaliser, so Sarr's goal was a great Xmas present. 
  • Options
    I see Premiership keepers make mistakes every week - a good keeper keeps mistakes to a minimum.

Sometimes we spend too much time focussing on weaknesses and not enough on strengths. It's been a hard season so far for Dillon and he's done really well. I don't think distribution will ever be his strong point but as a shot stopper he's excellent and as for crosses I'm unclear as to how LB tells the defence to deal with them.

One of the better Champuonship keepers for me.

Funnily enough I think his distribution is great when he throws it and a lot of his shit distribution or mistakes  is trying things a little bit 'out there'
    It's the decision making with the choice of distribution sometimes, slowing the game down, looking at the pitcure up the other end of the field when he does a quick one. That will come with age, he's very very young for a 1st choice keeper in the champ
  • Options
    I think that was the most porous our defence has been all season. You could have driven a coach and horses through them.

Lockyer & Phillips are the only 2 defenders playing at Championship level.

Purrington is getting worse by the week. It may be to do with having to play him when injured some weeks back. 

Doughty, Morgan, Gallagher & Pratley all played well.

Taylor was good & Bonne showed very little again. He appears to have gone into his shell/lost confidence since Taylor returned.

We never looked like grabbing an equaliser, so Sarr's goal was a great Xmas present. 
    I think if the takeover goes through then the defence will be strengthened. I think we've been helped out by poor finishing from our opponents in some of the games 

I think Solly can still play at this level but not so much in the wing back role.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Starting an unfit Ledley at Boro instead of Morgan was even more baffling, especially as he hasn't played since!