Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo - sold to Sheff Wed by Norwich (p13)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Have to admit I didn't think we would be getting him back, so am very pleased with this. Considering how young he is, the option to buy, if he continues to improve - is fantastic. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I could see them bringing in one more CB at most, and that very much as a reserve. At this level, every team needs to manage their budget under FFP with great care and there is no benefit of overspending in one area only to be short in another. Pearce and Gunter are pretty good back-ups at this level, so I would be very happy with that.
    Interesting that the comment was made earlier that the club just needed to commit to one of the CBs they had in mind, well I suppose they did!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I can see one additional CB coming in, but not two. 

1 CB and any other CB has to be youth in Dobson, Barker, Mingi for me. Not a repeat of last season's approach.
    Either Mingi hasn’t signed the contract we’ve offered or the OS missed him off the list.
  • Options
    Quality CB
  • Options
    One more CB will do, Pearce is decent enough backup while Barker would be a useful 5th choice
  • Options
    2 players for every position - In terms of CBs we have Inniss, Famewo, and Pearce - I'd like one more first-team quality, then even if we get a couple of injuries to the first choice CBs we could step up one of the younger players like Barker or if necessary utilise someone like Gunter or Dobson at CB. That wouldn't be ideal ofc or be a long term fix but I think that would be plenty of CB cover. 

Part of the reason why having Pratley/Gunter as our CB pairing last year for an uncomfortable number of matches was we had Pearce sat on the bench at the same time. 
  • Options
    Whelmed.
  • Options
    I'm not that worried about signing another CB now Akin has signed. I would prefer Barker to be given some game time when cover is needed. I felt for him a bit after he went from the 1st team set up. He never put a foot wrong in the few games he played and infact looked really decent going forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely need another RCB. With a couple of knocks to Ryan and Akin, would we really be comfortable with a youth player/Gunter + Pearce combo?
    After last year, certainly not. 

If Famewo and Innis stay fit though...... I need to go lay down.
  • Options
    We’ll sign another right sides cb I’m sure. But I’d expect us to bring in other positions first.

wingers x 2
    Striker
    LB
    CM x 2 

should be prioritised first.
  • Options
    Definitely need another RCB. With a couple of knocks to Ryan and Akin, would we really be comfortable with a youth player/Gunter + Pearce combo?
    Plenty would it would seem. 
  • Options
    Absolutely not. I really hope Barker is ready as ideally if they’re both out we’ll have Barker + a new signing. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I’m sure we will be reinforcing all areas of the squad further but for me, centre mid still needs a significant boost - a powerhouse and a playmaker of the level of our 2 centre backs. Stickley and our keeper, then we have the spine in place 
    Our CM looks to be our weakest area on paper. Of course that will be a continued hangover from it being a weak area last season. I'm sure NA and Gallen will deliver here.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    how long left on his contract with Norwich?
    Thanks, lets hope they stay up and we buy him for Champ at end of season.
  • Options
    good news .. that's central defence sorted, though I'd prefer a permanent signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloomin’ chuffed with this bit of business.

Welcome home Akin!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Is Barker actually the "next cab on the rank"?

I would be supprised if he was in our 1st choice u23 team. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not that worried about signing another CB now Akin has signed. I would prefer Barker to be given some game time when cover is needed. I felt for him a bit after he went from the 1st team set up. He never put a foot wrong in the few games he played and infact looked really decent going forward.
    I think Barker is 5'9"
    A good prospect I'll agree. 
    But personally I don't think he will be tall enough to play centre half in men's football. 
    I see him more as a full back or holding midfielder. 
  • Options
    The don't panic until the 31st August was a total misnomer as we all know you need 95% of your squad in place by the first League game on the first Saturday in August if you are serious about going for the automatic promotion spots. No problem bring in a Yann outside the window if it gives you the X factor.

Ideally you want players to do the pre season together play the friendlies and bond. Easier with Famewo and Matthews.

Matthews had some good games in the Championship and some poor ones in League 1 which tells me the better the players around him, when he has reached optimum fitness, the better he will play for Cafc.

Famewo and Matthews are good signings.
    And i felt that while Thomas was here they wanted to make 3 or 4 signings so TS could photo bomb the shot.   Which considering he is the man with the dosh is fair enough.

• Options
    Great signing 
  • Options
    Lovely bit of business this, very impressive.
  • Options
    Great stuff. Top notch quality for this division - hope we buy him!

Makes it very likely that any talk of Tucker from the Gills is wide of the mark, although like others I would expect an understudy to come in at some point (barring anyone from the youth stepping up).

Things beginning to take shape now.
  • Options
    The loan in itself is very good news, but the option to buy is both a vote of confidence in Akin from our side, and equally shows that he's really happy to be with us. It may only be triggered by promotion, but it's still a really positive sign all round
    More often than not the option to buy will not be dependant on triggers. Effectively it means Norwich have to accept our bid for the player if it matches the amount set out in the contract. Whether the player then is happy to sign permanently and can agree terms is a completely different question and Akin himself may only be interested in signing permanently should we be promoted.