Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 22nd January 2022

Comments

• Options
    Not keen on this formation, it'll be interesting to see how we look playing it with a proper wing back in the team. Typical Charlton, signing a player with covid.
  • Options
    We weren’t very good but thankfully Fleetwood were worse. Pleased for Albie, he wasn’t great but played a part in the first and scored so can’t complain. Dobson and Inniss were probably the only two who deserve praise for their performance. 
  • Options
    We were poor, inept even first half. 
    We got away with it because they look like relegation fodder on that showing. 
    But a win's a win. 
  • Options
    We won. That's about the only real positive. Was bored out of my brain for most of it.

IMO the 3-5-2 has been worked out by our opposition. Teams get in our faces and we just start humping it long into the channels.

No one particularly stood out.

Where is the energy from the Plymouth and Ipswich games? So many look like they are going through the motions.

Feel no affinity with this team at all.
    I was looking for the words Clem and this absolutely sums it up for me.  

I still don’t see anything in this group of players bar one or two to get excited about.  

Will be a mistake to keep the majority of them here next season 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    The words “he’ll never score for us” had barely left
    my lips when Morgan buried the second. 
    Most know he has the talent, but never been able to do it regularly let alone consistently … fingers crossed this gives him the confidence 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    A win's a win, but I can't get excited about this team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty awful game and we were dire in the first half. A bit better in the second and Morgan nearly scored twice.

Just pleased we won. Don't feel much towards this bunch of players.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I was under the impression it was a work function, not a party.
    😎
    One thing is for sure - enjoy watching this lad play while you can.

Sadly, with football being the way it is, if he carries on like this someone is going to come in with a cheeky little bid before long. In fact, if I was in charge of recruitment at a lower Premier League club I'd be keeping a very careful eye on him now with a view to trying to nick him sooner rather than later. And I doubt we'd be able to hold onto him should that happen.

It's so frustrating watching these young lads come through the ranks and burst into our first team only for them to be gone in less than 18 months (if we are lucky). 
  • Options
    Fragile first half followed by a superb upbeat second-half and great that two academy players scored (yes I know albie  has been a first teamer  for a long time but all the same). Akin looked bereft of confidence in the first half. Fleetwood looked very good in attack especially on the right wing. Lee I think is not strong enough to dominate the midfield and I thought we were much better when Alex came on. Overall we all go home happy but need to address the problem of midfield and defence. Chucks makes a big difference when he is on the pitch.
  • Options
    The bbc website records a 5 man midfield … what was the formation ?
  • Options
    Awful first half, much better second.

Thought CBT had his best game for us, Innes excellent as was Dobson. Lee needs a rest , better when Gilby came on.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I was under the impression it was a work function, not a party.
    😎
    I think you’ll find it was implicitly a work event…
  • Options
    The bbc website records a 5 man midfield … what was the formation ?
    I'd say it was the usual 3-1-4-2 with Dobson playing just behind the midfield 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Far from perfect but much better than last week. Good to see us finding a way to grind some points out without being at our best. Albie was excellent.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I hate to say it, but I hope we don't put out a full strength side for the PJT. It's not where our focus should be.
    Saddest comment of the year, in a way. 
  • Options
    I so wanted Morgan to finish that first chance just before he scored.

A couple of sublime touches, then he drives it wide.  Would have been great for his confidence - and my belief for that matter.
  • Options
    Really awful game. Two very poor teams.

Surrounded by clueless freebies/halfies.

Not the best day I've known at The Valley. 

Ryan Inniss the stand-out player. 
  • Options
    First half played out as if it were a game between two mid table teams who were both aware that the chances of a successful season were long gone. It felt very half hearted. I fear that we’ll get quite a few games like that between now and end of April.

However, a win is a win and we needed to stop the rot one way or another.

Lets go all out against Hartlepool and find a way to get to Wembley in the cup. 
  • Options
    a win is a win .. two teams looking for some real form .. pleased for Morgan whose goals are as rare as green horses
  • Options
    It’s always interesting to see how people interpret games as opposed to you.  I think we deserved to win and the second half was better than the first, but I can’t go along with much better second half.  A few more chances, definitely.  However, I don’t really think we kicked on after we scored.  The space opened up again for us right at the end, but I was surprised the goal didn’t lead to more of an onslaught 

Saw comments re: Lee needing a rest, which may be fair, but I’m starting to think he’s got very little end product.  It’s quite frustrating watching him pick the ball up on the edge of the area, twist and turn and run into the eventual cul-de-sac.  

I think Jackson will actually have more questions now off the back of today’s performance as to how to approach Pompey.  I would imagine Gilbey will be back in, you can’t drop Morgan after his goal, and does he stick with CBT ahead of Purrington are some that spring to mind.

DJ was pretty anonymous as the game went on.  
  • Options
    Sometimes you just need to pickup a win. I sat in the North upper today, after being on the front row of the West near the Manager/Coaches/Players most of the season. A few observations from the game and in general:

- There is definitely no sound coming out of the North stand speakers! In reality them, the stadium can hear the Covered end sing all day long.

- We might have nabbed some points from the past two games with Craig in goal - just a personal feeling

- DJ is a confused Wing back now, unlike the one who was moved from being a forward and played with those instincts. Personally I'd prefer CBT on the right and Purrington on the left. CBT is bigger and more physical than first appears.

- Aneke offers a threat even if on his game or not. The first goal showed this. 

- Is it time for Gilbey to take Lee's role, with Albie in the middle. Lee is kind of playing himself out of a contract - very surprised by his recent performances, especially with the crowd singing his name throughout. 

- We need to be cleverer than realise than our CBs are not being marked, so to keep passing between them. There's a reason for this. Teams know we generally fluff our attacks and will also make a mistake to gift possession a few times a game.

- Burstow being chosen over Davison and Leko! As an 18 year old, he can only repay in one form. Either an excellent performance or in goals. We have got the latter, so well done to him.

- Innis - always good to see him leading in both boxes. Some hugely underrated headers from him today. If we play a team who play 2 up front, I think we can play Famewo-Pearce-Innis in the back three, comfortably. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    A return to the Valley and to winning ways!

The first half was a chess match with Charlton leading the way with possession and Fleetwood making inroads on the counter. We gave them far to much space in behind our backline, but they weren’t ruthless enough to capitalise. They were comfortable enough with leaving the ball to our centre backs and packing the middle. Our midfield couldn’t shake free and our centre backs weren’t careful enough in possession. As the half wore on, we grew into it and made better use of our possession. We had a few opportunities of our own, but we also couldn’t capitalise.

In the second half we began to make headway. Young Mason imposed himself and came up with a goal to reward his efforts and open the scoring. 

Dobbo was immense throughout as always, breaking up play and turning defense into attack. He never hides and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I hope his confidence continues. Chuks played well again, imposing himself and giving their centrebacks something to think about. He banged about for 90 minutes, which should put to bed any health and fitness worries, for now. Alex Gilbey started on the bench again today, but made a big difference in attack when he came on deep in the second half. Perhaps it’s time to start him again, in place of Elliott Lee, who has also found it difficult to make his effort felt. Coming off the bench may suit him and help him find his form again. In terms of being out of the side for an extended period, and then coming back in, Albie Morgan had a good day and was rewarded with a goal to cap off a fine performance. Also, special mention to Innis, whose header put Mason in on goal, and marshaled the defense to limit an in-form Fleetwood. And Corey Blackett-Taylor’s blistering pace kept Fleetwood at bay in the first half, as a primary outlet on the left wing.

Charlton 2 Fleetwood 0

Over to you.
    Defense?  Defense?  What is this, the NFL?