Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 22nd January 2022

Comments

• Options
    21,811? LOL
    What is the point of this nonsense?
    I know it's been years now, but when did we stop declaring the actual numbers through the turnstiles in favour of this fantasy shit.
    Hard to be accurate but my best guess at yesterday's actual attendance was 13,000
    As far as I'm aware, we've never declared actual numbers, only sales. So the answer to your question we have never stopped declaring actual numbers because we never started.
    The gap between the announced crowd and the actual has never been bigger that it is at presant in the time I have been supporting the club.

Its not just us but Arsenal have the same issue.
  • Options
    i think some of the criticism of Lee has been a bit unjustified but yesterday it was and i agree, he needs resting for a bit and gilbey reinstated - thought dj was poor again, cbt good, innis aerially brilliant as always and dobson my motm - albie non existent first half other than a couple of nice passes but there's a lot more required than that - we need stockley back asap and hopefully an attacking midfielder through the door next week coz that first half was utter pants  
  • Options
    21,811? LOL
    I know it's been years now, but when did we stop declaring the actual numbers through the turnstiles in favour of this fantasy shit.
    Hard to be accurate but my best guess at yesterday's actual attendance was 13,000
    As far as I'm aware, we've never declared actual numbers, only sales. So the answer to your question we have never stopped declaring actual numbers because we never started.
    Sorry mate but that's rubbish.
    In the old days there were no "sales" other than season tickets, as you basically paid by cash at the turnstiles.
    As far as I am aware each turnstile click registered a number which could be totalled with the others for an attendance figure.
    (Except when we chose to declare a false lower number for whatever nefarious reason, but that's another story)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    On that front, the three walkers who gave a fleetwood kid a kicking by the buses after the game until they got shouted off,, the video of you guys bragging about it on the walk up the road to the A102 roundabout is with the police. 

Not that anything will come of it but, if you are reading this, you’re a fucking disgrace. 
    If a group of Charlton fans attacked a young Fleetwood fan they are vile evil nasty bastards who bring shame on us.
    Glad to hear some Charlton fans intervened, wish I had been there.
    Would be great if those violent Charlton fans could be identified and banned with immediate effect.
    They could have been Cheltenham fans
  • Options
    Fleetwood only get about 3-4,000 at home, so no surprise they get so few away.
  • Options
    21,811? LOL
    Yes but it would be better if we did start reporting bodies through the gates. It is a way more meaningful number and could be reported alongside sales. If it were my business I would be looking to do that. 

I know that I have missed several home games, my son is with me half the time and so every other weekend, unfortunately that means he will miss most of the rest of the season off his season ticket. I also bought an under 11 ticket for one of my girlfriends grandkids who then moved to Lancaster, he has attended 0 games. 

Reporting only purchased numbers is a total fallacy and not representative of attendance. Attendance is important and so report that as well as those who have paid but cannot attend. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A poor first half, where we were continually exposed by Fleetwood on the counter attack, especially down our left flank. Their passing and movement was much better than ours, our approach being to fanny about passing the ball between the back three and then hoisting long, high diagonal balls towards Chuks, looking for flick ons. For all that, Fleetwood failed to test MacGillivray, with Andrew hitting one of his two free kicks just over the bar and their centre half heading a corner over when, completely unmarked, he really should have hit the target.

We came back into the game a bit towards half time, with Clare breaking through on the right a couple of times and Lee drawing a very good save from the goalie. We didn’t seem to make any real attempt to play through midfield, which I assume was tactical, although Fleetwood made it difficult by sitting deep and flooding that area.. A troublesome first half, during which Dobson really held us together whilst Fleetwood were in the ascendency.

A much better second period, with Mason Burstow capitalising upon a good delivery from Morgan’s corner and an excellent header across the goal from Ryan Inniss. If we can just deliver set-plays in the right area - and Albie was a big upgrade on Elliot Lee's recent efforts - the big man is, as we all know, a major weapon.

We played with a higher intensity in the second half and Fleetwood seemed to run out of ideas, only seriously threatening our goal once, with a dangerous cross which ran across the face of the six yard line. Albie finally put the game to bed at the death, to the enormous relief of both him and the home support. Undoubtedly the highlight of the afternoon, another being the ovation for Mason Burstow when he was substituted late on.

It was an ugly win in a low quality game but an absolutely vital 3 points, with a tough run of league games coming up.

After a difficult first half, we defended better in the second, with Inniss repeatedly heading away crosses in the six yard box - just as well, given MacGillivray's reluctance to come off his line, although he was a reassuring presence back in goal. Dobson was very good throughout and Morgan had a much better second half. Hopefully the late strike will help his confidence in front of goal, as a lack of goals is clearly a weakness in his game. Elliot Lee had another poor game and needs a rest. Gilbey was a marked improvement and laid on Albie’s goal after a trademark run. Blackett-Taylor also got forward well on the left and hopefully his problem was cramp, rather than with his hamstring.

Chuks and Mason worked hard up top, with little in the way of service. We lacked the combination play in midfield to work the ball into Chuks’ feet in the last third and, whilst Mason made some good runs across the line, the ball never reached him, as we persisted with the long high diagonals, save for when we were able to release Blackett-Taylor on the left.

A cracking turn out from the home support and the crowd really got behind the side in the second half once we got our noses in front. A shout out too for the unashamedly chubby referee - he kept up well with play, got every decision right and had a natural authority which the players respected (unlike the twerp in charge of the game at Crewe). The best ref I've seen down here for a while.

A big three points after our recent struggles, especially with Morecambe turning Over Wycombe. Looking forward to Tuesday’s encounter with the Monkey Hangers, as no doubt are they, given their poor league form - only one win in 12, although they've won 7 and lost only 2 at home, so it should be an interesting game.

Perfect summary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good assessment @Blucher, although for my part I wouldn't be quite so effusive about the ref
  • Options
    21,811? LOL
    In the old days there were no "sales" other than season tickets, as you basically paid by cash at the turnstiles.
    As far as I am aware each turnstile click registered a number which could be totalled with the others for an attendance figure.
    (Except when we chose to declare a false lower number for whatever nefarious reason, but that's another story)
    Ok, since we returned to the valley we've never given actual numbers through the turnstiles. I worked on the turnstiles in the 90s and we never took cash for any league, FA cup or League cup game, so those figures were always based on sales.

Now there may have been actual attendances given in the 70s and before, but never since the return*

*Apart from the odd reserve game or youth cup game played at the valley
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    One thing I strongly suspect to be the case is if we lose Dobson, it would be extremely difficult to replace him. He allows us to play two attacking midfielders without losing defensively. I have a feeling Gilbey may fall into that category too in a different way with his driving runs and energy and they are the way forwards for us. Innis gives us something in both boxes and if we can keep him fit I'd lob him in there as well. So you can see a pathway to success with a fair wind.
  • Options
    21,811? LOL
    Ok, since we returned to the valley we've never given actual numbers through the turnstiles. I worked on the turnstiles in the 90s and we never took cash for any league, FA cup or League cup game, so those figures were always based on sales.

Now there may have been actual attendances given in the 70s and before, but never since the return*

*Apart from the odd reserve game or youth cup game played at the valley
    So we stopped declaring actual numbers in the 90's? (Not never as you previously insisted).
    I suppose the club has it's reasons for declaring the 'tickets sold' figure, but I think the real through-the-turnstile numbers would be much more revealing. Those are the figures I'd rather know.
  • Options
    Good assessment @Blucher, although for my part I wouldn't be quite so effusive about the ref
    Maybe my expectations were lowered (and subsequently exceeded) when I caught sight of his girth !
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I'd treat Hartlepool like a league game tbh
    Getting ready for next year in league two ? :D
  • Options
    WSS said:
    What was that phone torch light nonsense all about? Anyone over the age of 12 doing that is not welcome back. 
    Anyone over 12 getting angry over it (or the fish) mustn’t have much else going on in their lives
    I'm not angry, its just weird
  • Options
    Clare was the wrong side of the attacker and many refs would have given a penalty in the first half. 

I thought it was a pen and do did a few around me; did they review the incident on Charlton TV ? 

We've had worse refs than this guy. His main problem is being a big guy, its hard for him not to be noticed !

Cheers @Blucher for your report.

• Options
    Ok it wasnt a free flowing attractive match but 3 pts is very welcome. After my eternal criticism of Albie I thought he did ok and deserves to keep his place after that. 
    POTS has to be Dobson for me if he keeps doing what he is doing, he is immense imo how he didnt het in the squad under Adkins is beyond me, although when you see him walking he looks nothing like a professional athlete does he lol but the guy is class in the role he has
  • Options
    One thing I strongly suspect to be the case is if we lose Dobson, it would be extremely difficult to replace him. He allows us to play two attacking midfielders without losing defensively. I have a feeling Gilbey may fall into that category too in a different way with his driving runs and energy and they are the way forwards for us. Innis gives us something in both boxes and if we can keep him fit I'd lob him in there as well. So you can see a pathway to success with a fair wind.
    Dobson is our most important player; Stockley is probably second, hence we’ve been pretty average since he hasn’t been there.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get Stockley back alongside a fit Inniss and we're suddenly a massive threat at set pieces (unless Lee takes them). 
  • Options
    Is there any news on Lavelle?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Feck me!  We were sitting in the Upper North…how long are your bloody arms to have filmed that mate????? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Is there any news on Lavelle?
    Slowly getting back to fitness, think he played 70mins for the U23s recently.

Potential to be involved against Hartlepool maybe?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    21,811? LOL
    The gap between the announced crowd and the actual has never been bigger that it is at presant in the time I have been supporting the club.

Its not just us but Arsenal have the same issue.
    Arsenal have started giving loyalty points for those season ticket holders attending home matches, and it’s made a difference apparently. Went to the Burnley game today with my Arsenal mate. First time since covid. Pretty awful game compared to the fare dished up at The Valley, but they have some promising players. Shame none of them can shoot straight. Burnley were full on League One shithouse, defended well, wasted time brilliantly.