Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 22nd January 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Just got back home, after another bloody long day.. thanks to the traffic..again.
    First half was pretty poor, but the last 10 minutes or so we came into it a bit more.
    Second half was much better, but that wasn't difficult.
    Dobson was excellent again, and I thought CBT had a good 2nd half, Washington made a difference when he came on as did Gilbey.
    It's 3 points,  we've stopped the losing run and hopefully one or two new players will come in this week
    Weekend not ruined and that's better than the last few to be honest.

• Options
    Does anyone know the gate today.. Fotmob haven't published it as they usually do. 
    Reading's Gate was a tad over 10,000 so Thomas's plan seems to be working  to get people in. May they eventually decide to pay.
    https://twitter.com/cafcfacts/status/1484921855622492163?s=21
  • Options
    Does anyone know the gate today.. Fotmob haven't published it as they usually do. 
    Reading's Gate was a tad over 10,000 so Thomas's plan seems to be working  to get people in. May they eventually decide to pay.
    21,811 per the official site 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Not keen on this formation, it'll be interesting to see how we look playing it with a proper wing back in the team. Typical Charlton, signing a player with covid.
    Who has Covid and how can we sign a player in isolation ?
    Seeing we've only signed one player who didn't feature today, I think the answer is self explanatory 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really pleased for the much needed win... we needed it. The relegation zone is only 6 points below where we are

Following Charlton is frustrating because after the Plymouth and Ipswich games there was such a buzz but when we struggle to beat Fleetwood... well      but a win is a win

We have a spine of a good team.. Mac Goalie, Clare, Innis , Lavell, Dobson, Gilbey, Stockley , Chuks and now Mason. . A little bit more quality in the right positions and who knows !!........ Happy for the win 

Ps... what would the crowd for Fleetwood have been with out promotions and isn't it better with a bigger crowd?
  • Options
    We were awful in the first half, once we got to grips with the game after the first 10 minutes a few things stood out why it was so awful.

I noticed that Fleetwood were pressing us when we had the ball, like many other teams do which forced us to play sideways and backwards ultimately with the ball ending up with Famewo or Innis. Even Clare was being pressed but I noted Fleetwood didn't press Famewo or Innis when they received the ball. Other teams have done this too.

Famewo or Innis would then end up pumping the ball into a channel for Fleetwood to deal with then the press would begin again and the ball would end up with Famewo or Innis again, rinse wash and repeat.

It took us until about 40 mins for Famewo or Innis to bring the ball forward and draw the press out of the Fleetwood players which then opened up space for us to play a few quick passes out wide but then once DJ got the ball instead of taking on the full back he ultimately ended up going sideways or backwards and then all the way back to Famewo or Innis once again. Rinse wash and repeat.

It looked like Jacko gave them a rocket at half time because when we did get the ball out wide in the end both CBT and DJ actually took on the full backs and note DJ drew the free kick which led to the goal. CBT had also drawn a foul on the right side before then too. From here on it always looked quite comfortable from then on but it's quite alarming how this first half keeps on repeating itself even from when Adkins was in charge.

From then on it was a much improved second half which we deservedly won.
    Nail on the head. Excellent post. 
  • Options
    It is pretty amazing to me how we have a tendency to overrate our own.  Albie has been horrible all year.  He was dire in the first half and showed no effort.  There was one point Clare received the ball when switched with only one Fleetwood player in front of him.  DJ made a run up line looking for the long ball. Clare pointed for Albie to fill the space out wide or Albie could have cut back in the space in the middle for a short pass.  What did Albie do, he literally stood right behind the defender and didn’t run or even jog anywhere to try to receive the ball.  There were multiple instances of lack of effort in the first half.  He definitely played well in the second half but one floated set piece to the tallest player on the pitch and a goal which should have been saved is not like he bossed the midfield.  One half of good play and our fans are now saying he is undroppable.  It makes no sense.  Lee is absolutely in a funk but we are at our best this year when Gilbey brought that energy to the box to box midfield role. Albie second half performance was probably enough to retain his spot for the next match but the number of people on here thinking he has turned the corner is crazy.  God I just realized that sound like Golfie.
    Not knocking other fans' views as you are but I do wonder if the issue with Albie was lack of confidence as opposed to lack of effort, which you felt was the case.

Fair enough,  you are only posting what you felt but I do wonder if a player shows no effort on the park, whether Jacko would rip them a new one...?
  • Options
    Does make me laugh that those in the Norf Upper getting aggy and angry about young kids doing torches on their phones then start singing the that spine-chilling, intimidating football anthem “you really got me going now, shake it on baby now, twist and shout…”  
    Are you digging me out, Barters?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Did we lose?
    Good question, You'd bloody well think so with some of Les Miserables on here.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Does make me laugh that those in the Norf Upper getting aggy and angry about young kids doing torches on their phones then start singing the that spine-chilling, intimidating football anthem “you really got me going now, shake it on baby now, twist and shout…”  
    Are you digging me out, Barters?
    If the cap fits mate just wear 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Charlton 33 points and 14th just behind Accrington Stanley, Wycombe 52 points and 4th. Ffs
  • Options
    Firstly, apologies to anyone I irritated with comments on the match thread. It was late here, the football was shocking and I had been drinking.

Secondly , delighted to win and for Burstow and Morgan to get on the score sheet

Thirdly, that was utter garbage. We were very poor and actually managed to get worse after the undeserved goal. Anyone who did not see it all, please don't be deceived by the extremely flattering score line. 
  • Options
    I'm probably in a minority, but I really don't understand all the excitment and singing songs for Elliott Lee. Personally, I think he's bang average, with no end product and I'd be disappointed if we were to sign him permanently

To be fair, he is able to receive and turn with the ball in tight spaces to get past his man, which is very useful for a midfielder, but we certainly haven't seen enough from him recently.

I'm wondering if he is less effective in a more advanced role.
  • Options
    I do question how I’ve become such a miserable person, but here it goes…

first half was very worrying. We could have been 4 down, the shape just didn’t fit or click and if they had anything about them they would have killed the game. You know there’s no confidence when you get repeated plays of centre halves / defensive midfielder triangles and all we were doing was Inniss to Famewo, to Dobson, to Clare, to Dobson, to Inniss etc.

We scored at a good time, but Fleetwood then had another decent period of play. The late goal killed it and meant crucially everyone went home on a high. If it had stayed 1-0 then that would have been the biggest ‘non plus’ win I could ever remember.

Famewo and Clare had poor games, really struggled with players running at them. CBT was completely lost for the first half hour, Dobson largely carrying the midfield with Lee / Morgan doing nowhere near enough until Albie’s strong finish. 

I’d forget just how many needless, completely unnecessary cards Chuks picks up.

Plusses, we won. It was desperately needed. Great the two homegrown got on the scoresheet, hope it gives both a lift. The keeper looked very steady, Dobson continues to impress, Gilbey made a positive difference when he come on. 

Shame because Thomas is in town we have to bang our his shit song at the final whistle. Really triggers me, even if they can’t hear it in the North Upper, the rest of us certainly can.

instant high of late goal + winning now faded off. I’m no football snob but I’m starting to get really fed up us looking no better than some tiny clubs with minuscule budgets, whose hundred fans are just happy to be playing with a 50p bag of multicoloured balloons and a toilet roll. 

Roll on next season. 
    Stroppy of Sidcup 
    I don’t want to imagine what they’re doing with the 50p bag of balloons and a toilet roll.
  • Options
    A split group of newbies were sitting near me. 

One lot returned just after Burstow scored and a young lady from the other group shouted out, "You've just missed a goal, Charlton are 1 0 up!" 

A girl from the returning group said, "Yeh, but you've missed out from getting a burger".

The saddest thing of all was me as I spent fully five minutes trying to work out the winners and losers  :/  
    Loser?  The second young lady’s English teacher. 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just leaving the pub, awful first half, purposeful second. 

Really happy for Albie Morgan today, I thought he played ok last week and did well today, to miss a chance, that he made for himself and then covert one moments later was important. 

A good day overall and onto  Hartlepool Tuesday
    Thought this was critique on Sandgaard's guitar playing at first  :)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The bbc website records a 5 man midfield … what was the formation ?
     Same as usual.

3-5-2 with Dobson in the holding role.

MacGillivray
    Clare Dobson Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Morgan Dobson Lee B.Taylor
    Burstow Aneke

If we’re cloning Dobson, let’s have a couple more. 
  • Options
    Actually did not think the game was too bad,Fleetwood had a couple of very quick players who caused us problems,yes a dodgy first 30 minutes,but we got better and deserved the win.Word on the ref,looked a bit porky,but thought he was one of the best this year.Oh and yes,the poxy journey home to medway,dear oh dear,I thought the roadworks around Bluewater had ended.
  • Options
    I do question how I’ve become such a miserable person, but here it goes…

first half was very worrying. We could have been 4 down, the shape just didn’t fit or click and if they had anything about them they would have killed the game. You know there’s no confidence when you get repeated plays of centre halves / defensive midfielder triangles and all we were doing was Inniss to Famewo, to Dobson, to Clare, to Dobson, to Inniss etc.

We scored at a good time, but Fleetwood then had another decent period of play. The late goal killed it and meant crucially everyone went home on a high. If it had stayed 1-0 then that would have been the biggest ‘non plus’ win I could ever remember.

Famewo and Clare had poor games, really struggled with players running at them. CBT was completely lost for the first half hour, Dobson largely carrying the midfield with Lee / Morgan doing nowhere near enough until Albie’s strong finish. 

I’d forget just how many needless, completely unnecessary cards Chuks picks up.

Plusses, we won. It was desperately needed. Great the two homegrown got on the scoresheet, hope it gives both a lift. The keeper looked very steady, Dobson continues to impress, Gilbey made a positive difference when he come on. 

Shame because Thomas is in town we have to bang our his shit song at the final whistle. Really triggers me, even if they can’t hear it in the North Upper, the rest of us certainly can.

instant high of late goal + winning now faded off. I’m no football snob but I’m starting to get really fed up us looking no better than some tiny clubs with minuscule budgets, whose hundred fans are just happy to be playing with a 50p bag of multicoloured balloons and a toilet roll. 

Roll on next season. 
    Stroppy of Sidcup 
     Couldn’t have put it better myself , except I am a football snob and I’m sick of this rank shitness and mediocrity 1976/7 I started going 1 season in 30 odd of third tier football followed by 8 in 13 fuck off …

Also my anxiety levels rose at the abuse that toilet roll received being thrown about with no feelings whatsoever amongst the partying Fleetwood crowd . I reported it immediately and hope those culpable are brought to task .