Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nile John - progress for Spurs p9

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't even work out what the high of those highlights were.

But anyway, if he's good and his position is played well which stimulates the rest of our players to play well, then at least it's proof of concept for JJs system. Big if though.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we are signing an 18 year old on loan to make sure we don't get relegated heaven help us. 

If its with a view to getting him back next season brilliant. 

If its to do spurs a favour meh. 

Hopefully he pulls up a few trees and is a key part of our 22/23 promotion winning team, keeps us up in 23/24 after signing on a perm then flog him for £100 million to Real Madrid to fund our 24/25 promotion bid.

5 year plan, simples. 
    Realistically, its a bit of all three. He (hopefully) does well and helps us move up the table, enjoys/develops enough to return next season and Spurs see us as a good option for sending youth for experience.

This is a good point as the successful loan of a player must certainly help whenever we ask for a player from Chelsea as their loans almost always do well here.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    I mean I hate being negative towards any signing but come on am 18 year old with absolute no experience on loan in a position where we have our own young talent to develop in a season where we are going nowhere , why ? Just why?
    Glad I wasn't the first one to say this. I'd go even further to say that we could be in a relegation battle & we draft in an 18 year old with no experience. 

• Options
    I reckon we shouldn’t have signed Conor Gallagher because we had Albie Morgan in the academy.
    And..............

where is Gallagher now & where is Albie.

Albie is still here & Gallagher is long gone. 

So..........it means we still haven't replaced the midfielder that Gallagher replaced.

and as every year goes by we get worse. Ever decreasing circles. 
  • Options
    He has the same initials as Nicky Johns, lets hope he can kick straight 
  • Options
    Loans, loans and more loans. What about building a team properly. 
    This.

More rebuilding in the summer. Just like last year. And the year before. I thought Gallen said that he'd had enough of churning 10-12 players every summer. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    This.

More rebuilding in the summer. Just like last year. And the year before. I thought Gallen said that he'd had enough of churning 10-12 players every summer. 
    Hate to break this to you Golfie but we already had a big rebuild on with these 10 players out of contract in the summer apart from the loans 😉;

Players out of contract to expire at the end of 2021/2022 season. Gunter Purrington Pearce Forster-Caskey Washington Matthews Inniss Watson Henderson Davison
  • Options
    Even though it is highly likely we will finish lower mid-table this season and Tottenham will probably have him back in the summer, regardless of whether he shows some promise or not...

It is still good to know Chris Powell has been back at sparrows lane and maybe told our current squad that he thinks they are awful.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Even though it is highly likely we will finish lower mid-table this season and Tottenham will probably have him back in the summer, regardless of whether he shows some promise or not...

It is still good to know Chris Powell has been back at sparrows lane and maybe told our current squad that he thinks they are awful.

And there you have the mark of a gentleman.  I would of used "shit".
  • Options
    It is odd that we’re signing young players on loan when we’re clearly in a position to build for next season.
    That said; I suppose Spurs and Chelsea may have indicated that these lads are surplus to requirements so the goal might be to see how they do and if they’re a success they sign in the summer.
    That would look very different. Signing two quality players in June who can grow with the rebuild, Jacko’s style of play and who’ve already bedded into the club. 
  • Options
    Can we just call him John :wink: 

Looks a good prospect and lots of energy, hopefully him and Dobbo can can control the middle of the park and we can get a good run going. Playoffs isn't impossible at this stage, although highly unlikely. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Can we just call him John :wink: 

Looks a good prospect and lots of energy, hopefully him and Dobbo can can control the middle of the park and we can get a good run going. Playoffs isn't impossible at this stage, although highly unlikely. 
    Of course you can John, the thing is though has he got a new motor 😉.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    It is odd that we’re signing young players on loan when we’re clearly in a position to build for next season.
    That said; I suppose Spurs and Chelsea may have indicated that these lads are surplus to requirements so the goal might be to see how they do and if they’re a success they sign in the summer.
    That would look very different. Signing two quality players in June who can grow with the rebuild, Jacko’s style of play and who’ve already bedded into the club. 
    I don't think it's necessarily about this one player coming back next season (though he hopefully will) as much as establishing a good reputation for playing/developing youngsters with potential in order to move up the pecking order.

If John does not come back next season due to a move elsewhere or because they want him around their own first teamers but Spurs have other good prospects, we will be in a stronger, more appealing position. 
  • Options
    Would Ipswich, Rotherham, Wigan or Sunderland have signed him? No.
  • Options
    This.

Signing permanent players in January is generally very difficult, as prices are hiked up and there is little time to get the deal done. The rebuilding will continue, because you can't undo the short-termism of the Duchalet regime in one or two windows.

Overall the business since then has been more long term focused (DJ, Stockley, Kirk, MacG, Lavelle, and Aneke) all multi year deals. Kirk obviously hasn't worked out, but the point is they are trying to build for the future.

Loans are a part of life for all teams at this level, it is a lot cheaper to bring in a loan player for one season than a permanent player, and there is a lot less risk.
  • Options
    jakecafc said:
    We signed Gallagher at the beginning of the season when we had something to play for. We won't go down or up so it's pointless.
    BUT, if he does well perhaps we can keep him for next season.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Would Ipswich, Rotherham, Wigan or Sunderland have signed him? No.
    And you would know that how?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon we shouldn’t have signed Conor Gallagher because we had Albie Morgan in the academy.
    And..............

where is Gallagher now & where is Albie.

Albie is still here & Gallagher is long gone. 

So..........it means we still haven't replaced the midfielder that Gallagher replaced.

and as every year goes by we get worse. Ever decreasing circles. 
    I suppose a counter argument would be that Cullen and Beliek were loanees that got us promoted last time with the former hanging around the following year.

Would be interesting to know the balance of loanees the top clubs and promoted clubs of recent years. 

I expect many would likely have had key loan players instrumental to their promotions rather than all key players being perm.

May just be a necessary evil at this level when you cant get the requisite quality in on a perm basis.

Bit of a limbo league this league in that sense. Far away enough from the top flight to attract championship quality permanently but competitive enough to require that level of quality in part to get out of the league and not drop straight back down.

• Options
    Spurs mate at work rates him - says he played in a lot of first team pre season friendlies and a few Europeans - box to box - he’s only 18 so needs regular mens football to progress before he can get in the spurs side so I could easily see us having him for 18 months 
  • Options
    I used to work with a guy called Niall. Another staff member asked me "why do they call him Nile?" I just said "because that's his name".
  • Options
    Hope he’s ready to battle, because I fear it’s going to be a tough second half of the season. 
    Hard to tell what sort of player he is from that video. Keeping my fingers crossed he’s more Gallagher than Smith(s). 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    He’s been knocking around the fringes of the Spurs first team squad for a while and is well thought of. That strikes me as being a pretty good loan for a mid table third tier team. I think he’ll do well but quite honestly how could he possibly make us any worse. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    This.

Hate to break this to you Golfie but we already had a big rebuild on with these 10 players out of contract in the summer apart from the loans 😉;

Players out of contract to expire at the end of 2021/2022 season. Gunter Purrington Pearce Forster-Caskey Washington Matthews Inniss Watson Henderson Davison
    I know, so taking loan player after loan player just makes it worse.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I mean I hate being negative towards any signing but come on am 18 year old with absolute no experience on loan in a position where we have our own young talent to develop in a season where we are going nowhere , why ? Just why?
    I TOTALLY agree with this. 
    Even if the kid scores and makes assists every game, the likelihood of actually being promoted this year (or even making the playoffs) is so remote we will be at exactly the same point as we were post Bielik, Gallagher et al which is ... We have a glaring hole in our midfield because the brilliant midfielder we had on loan had gone. 

Then what? Start again... Ad nauseum.... 
  • Options
    This.

Signing permanent players in January is generally very difficult, as prices are hiked up and there is little time to get the deal done. The rebuilding will continue, because you can't undo the short-termism of the Duchalet regime in one or two windows.

Overall the business since then has been more long term focused (DJ, Stockley, Kirk, MacG, Lavelle, and Aneke) all multi year deals. Kirk obviously hasn't worked out, but the point is they are trying to build for the future.

Loans are a part of life for all teams at this level, it is a lot cheaper to bring in a loan player for one season than a permanent player, and there is a lot less risk.
    Loans may be part of life for teams at thus level but why do we have to be taking on 18 & 19 year old kids who've not got any league experience........especially against league 1 cloggers.

If we must bring players in on loan I'd much prefer someone of Stockley's age & experience who is out of favour at his parent club & want a move away. 

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Who?
    "Who?"~ we obviously have our own young talent to develop. That's what we need to focus on. Get to 50 points (or whatever is necessary to stay up) and play the rest of the season blooding our own young players. Some may then be ready and hungry for a promotion push next season along with our seasoned pros. 

Or are the U18 and U23 squads playing a 6-0-4 system (ie with NO midfield!)