Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nile John - progress for Spurs p9

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Lee Bowyer on Castillo:

When he (Castillo) first came he was overweight, couldn’t run, broke down in the first week or two of pre-season because he was out of shape.”

• Options
    Castillo & John were padding for the squad and to appease us, the fans. They were never going to feature. 
    Either that or those 2 were never Jacko's choices & so he didnt pick them. 

Either scenario is not very palatable & if continued into the summer will leave this season looking like a success.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    "Also have to keep in mind our relationship with Spurs and how it looks to other big clubs wanting to loan players out" - @Scoham

Too true and have been saying this for some time. People don't quite realise the impact of this alongside some loanees getting serious injuries/overuse with us. Not a great advert. Bow played up our attraction, nobody is doing so now.
    Bowyer used to say that we attracted youngsters because of him. Because of his "stature" in the game & that we all know he "improves players". 

Unfortunately Jackson hasn't got the same standing in the game. 
    The Bowyer point may carry some weight, but also unfortunately these days i see the 'size of the loan fee you're prepared to pay' as being more significant.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Castillo & John were padding for the squad and to appease us, the fans. They were never going to feature. 
    Either that or those 2 were never Jacko's choices & so he didnt pick them. 

Either scenario is not very palatable & if continued into the summer will leave this season looking like a success.
    If the stories of TS not wanting to pay any loan fees hold, I think it’s probably evidence of these are the best candidates available for free. Nothing more or less than that.

Before anyone runs with that theory, I don’t believe that is evidence of TS being skint or not willing to put money in - he’s happy to dip into his pockets for permanent transfers. I think it’s more likely an issue of stubbornness.
  • Options
    I think we didn’t think we were going to get Fraser so we signed John - then got Fraser which effectively made him redundant.
    Fraser's hardly played since he joined us though (Covid, then an injury)

RC_CAFC said:
    Can honestly say I only saw him once in an u23 game. And he was comfortably the worst starter on the pitch in a Charlton shirt. Now, like any player, one game is never enough time to form a full judgement and it was only u23’s football but I wouldn’t have picked him based on that performance. I think sometimes people forget how good our academy is and assume that because he’s come from Tottenham he’ll definitely be better.

That’s not how it works in Youth football.

a) would SCP really send to us (of all clubs) someone that he didn't think could do a job for us?
    b) if he is genuinely hopeless, why did we sign him? Surely we would have scouted him playing for the Spurs U23 first
  • Options
    I think we didn’t think we were going to get Fraser so we signed John - then got Fraser which effectively made him redundant.
    Doesn't really add up though as Fraser has barely featured.
  • Options
    1) maybe he help us stay up

2) being an attacking midfielder maybe he just brings some entertainment

3) maybe we have an option to buy (seems unlikely)

4) maybe he likes it and stays next season

5) maybe he is simply average but we look after him ok and it strengthens a loan bond with Spurs.

Welcome. Good luck. 
    From this January Post not many have been born out sadly. I doubt he'll be seeking a permanent move here. 
  • Options

RC_CAFC said:
    Can honestly say I only saw him once in an u23 game. And he was comfortably the worst starter on the pitch in a Charlton shirt. Now, like any player, one game is never enough time to form a full judgement and it was only u23’s football but I wouldn’t have picked him based on that performance. I think sometimes people forget how good our academy is and assume that because he’s come from Tottenham he’ll definitely be better.

a) would SCP really send to us (of all clubs) someone that he didn't think could do a job for us?
    b) if he is genuinely hopeless, why did we sign him? Surely we would have scouted him playing for the Spurs U23 first
    Perhaps a and b answer each other?

maybe we didn’t really scout him but went off the trusted word of SCP who rates him highly. But when he arrived, he didn’t live up to the standard we were expecting?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:

RC_CAFC said:

Perhaps a and b answer each other?

maybe we didn’t really scout him but went off the trusted word of SCP who rates him highly. But when he arrived, he didn’t live up to the standard we were expecting?
    At this moment, I'd trust Powell's judgement more than Jacko's...
  • Options
    Attitude and performance in training are the key elements here and none of us are in any position to comment on that. From what I have heard, he has not justified a place in the team. He is young and maybe a negative loan like this will provide the wake-up call that he needs.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    RC_CAFC said:

Spot on RC.
    Just to qualify, you can judge on one game if someone is very good but if some one is mediocre or poor you may want to see them again if you had good scouting reports.

To give you just one example: Nico Lawrence, just 19,  CB in the lowly depth of the Kent League managed to get a trial at Southampton in early February 2022 and he played an U23 match against Bournemouth where he marked a forward that was in the England youth squad. The Saints won 1-0 the forward was marked out the game and Nico Lawrence gets a professional contract at Southampton. They didn't wait as another Premier club wanted him on trial.  

Nico was at Fulham at the same time as Harvey Elliott, but got released despite being in their elite 14 year old team along with a kid called Garcia who haven't broken through yet. ( Moved on from Fulham)

Every "A Trialist" has had a different journey and story to relate; Just ask Corey Blackett-Taylor who wouldn't give up his dream of playing at least in the third tier. Hopefully he stays another season with Cafc.
  • Options
    Sent off tonight in the Pizza Cup for 2 yellows as Spurs U21s lose to Stevenage
  • Options
     Anyone still think he was good enough for us?
  • Options
    Gilbey asserts dominance AGAIN
  • Options
    What was the name of the chelsea wing back
    that we also had on loan
  • Options
    that we also had on loan
    Juan Castilo I think? Maybe spelt with two ls. Not as good as other Chelsea left-backs we've had 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Maatsen or Castillo.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Maatsen or Castillo.
    Castillo, thanks for the answers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    that we also had on loan
    Juan Cornetto.