Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nile John - progress for Spurs p9

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Loans, loans and more loans. What about building a team properly. 
    This.

More rebuilding in the summer. Just like last year. And the year before. I thought Gallen said that he'd had enough of churning 10-12 players every summer. 
    Hate to break this to you Golfie but we already had a big rebuild on with these 10 players out of contract in the summer apart from the loans 😉;

Players out of contract to expire at the end of 2021/2022 season. Gunter Purrington Pearce Forster-Caskey Washington Matthews Inniss Watson Henderson Davison
    The one good thing compared to other years is that it appears that our better (to an extent....) players are the ones under contract, and Gunter, Matthews, Watson etc won't take up a squad place anymore.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    This.

More rebuilding in the summer. Just like last year. And the year before. I thought Gallen said that he'd had enough of churning 10-12 players every summer. 
    Hate to break this to you Golfie but we already had a big rebuild on with these 10 players out of contract in the summer apart from the loans 😉;

Players out of contract to expire at the end of 2021/2022 season. Gunter Purrington Pearce Forster-Caskey Washington Matthews Inniss Watson Henderson Davison
    The one good thing compared to other years is that it appears that our better (to an extent....) players are the ones under contract, and Gunter, Matthews, Watson etc won't take up a squad place anymore.
    The advantage is only there if you replace them with better.  We got rid of a quite a lot of dead wood last summer and replaced it with deader wood.  No advantage what so ever in replacing those 3 with another lot of Arter, Souare and Castillo. 
  • Options
    When they sign John, they didn't know Fraser was going to become available a few days later.. But he clearly isn't doing in training! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    This.

The advantage is only there if you replace them with better.  We got rid of a quite a lot of dead wood last summer and replaced it with deader wood.  No advantage what so ever in replacing those 3 with another lot of Arter, Souare and Castillo. 
    This. Our recruitment has at times been baffling and it wasn’t just last summer. The loans of Castillo and John are beyond understanding. 
  • Options
    Thanks Mike that makes more sense now.
    Not saying its 100% accurate but when you look at the photos of JJ, CP and NJ at The Valley it certainly looks like CP wants him to experience life away from Spurs to further his development.
    Problem is/was he was named in an 18 man squad for a few games & therefore we had to leave Famewo out as it exceeded the maximum number of loans you could have on a matchday. 

That itself is bonkers. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedChaser said:
    This.

Yeah, couldn't agree more.

We need to be looking to sign first choices and have the likes of McG, Gilbey, Morgan, Clare, DJ, etc as the back-up.

If that pushes those players on to improve and get their place back, great, but we need to drastically improve on the performances from this season one way or another.
    Agreed.  Given the performances of a lot of our players this season. It would be remiss to say the majority will form the basis of a promotion winning team next year.  It’s more about which ones stay as back up to hopefully better players bought in over the summer 
  • Options
    Not saying its 100% accurate but when you look at the photos of JJ, CP and NJ at The Valley it certainly looks like CP wants him to experience life away from Spurs to further his development.
    Or it may have just been a typically kind CP indicating to NJ that League 1 is his level.
  • Options
    John, Castillo, Smith, Smith, Smyth, Davis and Levitt. Our recent use of the loan market has been terrible.
    Hard to argue with that, isn't it. Some monumental failures in there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nile John feels like Anil Koc all over again... Just without him coming in from a network club.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    John, Castillo, Smith, Smith, Smyth, Davis and Levitt. Our recent use of the loan market has been terrible.
    Hard to argue with that, isn't it. Some monumental failures in there. 
    Some successes too in Gallagher, Stockley, Famewo. Could include Lee and Leko too although I'm not a huge fan of keeping either at the moment.  Also some of those loans were under embargos and the crooks Amis and Southall so I feel we have to give Gallen and the managers a pass on them.

Castillo does play in a position where we need at least cover but he's not impressed.

Nile is just a weird one.
    Since Gallagher, our track record when it comes to young midfielder  loans from Big 6 clubs has been dreadful, even allowing for the issues with embargoes and the late business done before 2020/21. Rather than coming in and improving our side, they've ended up fringe players, barely getting a look in.

The likes of Levitt and Matt Smith 1 may get into the Wales team, but if they hadn't been at Big 6 teams, would that have been the case? 10 caps for Levitt, 15 caps for Smith, when both have been bang ordinary for their clubs. 

In terms of appearances for us
    Matt Smith 1 - 2
    Dylan Levitt - 5
    Matt Smith 2 - 8 
    Nile John - 0 so far
  • Options
    sm said:
    Or it may have just been a typically kind CP indicating to NJ that League 1 is his level.
    Great. So we are some sort of apprenticeship club where players who won't make the grade can see what their level really is.

Gee thanks.
  • Options
    all right John .. where ARE you ?
  • Options
    Perhaps if they tell the players out of contract that they do not want, now, they may improve, to persuade another club to take them on next season ............ then again, perhaps this is as good as they can play  :)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I still feel like John was a low risk, potential for high reward loan signing. He was the sixth loan when you can only have five in a matchday squad. Unlike someone like Levitt, who was seemingly signed to feature prominently and just didn't look ready for men's football in England, I don't think John is in that category. I think it's more like the Matt Smith 2.0 where he's brought in to provide cover in an area where we have some depth, if he excels, great, maybe he goes above Albie in the pecking order and maybe we look to get him back next season for the full season. If not, send him back and thank him for his time. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I still feel like John was a low risk, potential for high reward loan signing. He was the sixth loan when you can only have five in a matchday squad. Unlike someone like Levitt, who was seemingly signed to feature prominently and just didn't look ready for men's football in England, I don't think John is in that category. I think it's more like the Matt Smith 2.0 where he's brought in to provide cover in an area where we have some depth, if he excels, great, maybe he goes above Albie in the pecking order and maybe we look to get him back next season for the full season. If not, send him back and thank him for his time. 
    Agreed, don't really understand why people are saying what is the point.

It was a hiding to nothing, he could be great, he could be poor, but take a chance and see, I presume the fees were little to none, so nothing to lose really. Hasn't worked out so far, but sometimes people seem to want to be critical of recruitment as if there are so many better options out there that we could take, honestly it is not that easy!
  • Options
    Seems like he wasn’t good enough for Brum and they couldn’t end the loan, so they probably told us we had to take him if we wanted to buy Chucks. 
    I don’t think John is the answer to our current problems. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair he has impressed me far more than most of our first team squad.  
  • Options
    must be really shite...
  • Options
    clive said:
    So basically worse than what we have already, because surely losing 6 out of your last 7 would mean you try something different. And currently the something different cant be very good.
  • Options
    all right John .. where ARE you ?
    " ...... 'ere, John - got a new motor?"

• Options
    Nile John feels like Anil Koc all over again... Just without him coming in from a network club.
    Ah, you mean a Nile Koc?

• Options
    So Jacko has better options in front of both these lads? Well I'm struggling to see anyone stepping up over the last 8 or 9 games tbf! Castillo looked a bit shaky against MK Dons I think, but he must have something about him to be at Chelsea in the 1st place, surely? And LWB is his natural position we were told. It's odd. John is even stranger though. The fact he's not had a single chance is baffling considering we're so poor in midfield. Might as well chuck him in there and see what he can do now. At least 20mins off the bench, be can't be much worse than the "better" options in front of him.
  • Options
    John was a low risk loan space. When we signed him we probably wasn't expecting burstow to be the 5th loan meaning someone has to now miss out. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Surely when taking on players on relatively short loan terms, they should be good enough to feature within the first 3 months (or just over halfway through) the 5 month they signed for? 
  • Options
    sm said:
    Great. So we are some sort of apprenticeship club where players who won't make the grade can see what their level really is.

Gee thanks.
    We may not like it   - but that is probably how the Prem clubs see us, and I'm not sure we don't make some of our own loans on that basis.