Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• TEL said:
    clive said:
    @castrust it’s very important that amongst the noise formal avenues are maintained and pursued, with dialogue recorded and reported.

Amongst the non-football operations question can you please ascertain the position of Raelynn Maloney, who it appeared for months to everyone  was pretty much running the day to day aspects. What is the impact of it being highlighted she has no work permit and who is replacing the workload she was previously carrying out?

Can you also stress that it is not normal for so many people to be activity seeking to leave an organisation as we have seen over the last 12 months along with enforced sackings. Morale must be rock bottom, not sure how any business owner can be proud of that, personally I’d be ashamed.

So what has been done to investigate the cause of these departures, and what steps have been introduced to improvise the organisational culture (outside of a free pizza slice)?
    Precisely what we want to know... however, I can't see him answering that. 
    Staff can once again eat crisps at their desks.
  • The reported £600k for the womens team made me think he was flush because that’s the last thing to spunk dough on if you were on a budget 
    I’ve no idea at all but I do wonder whether the driver with that one was it was going to be something for Raelynn to run going forward 
  • I'm repeating a question I asked on the 6th October as everyone ignored it. Any takers this time? A simple, "go back to the shadows" would tell me it's been seen this time.

"On the 23 March 2022 the repayment terms of £10,500k loan between the Company and T Sandgaard entered into on the 28 September 2020 and the additional loans provided by T Sandgaard of £5,450k were amended to be repayable on demand at any time by the Lender. The loan remains interest free and unsecured."

Can someone remind me why this change in loan repayment terms was made and is it known if any part repayments have subsequently been made?
  • edited October 2022
    I think it’s the separation of the club from the freeholds that is at the heart of our long term problems. 
    Roland is sitting there in Belgium feeling secure in the knowledge that he owns a lump of London real estate that’s earning him a cool half a million quid a year, while leaving Charlton Athletic FC weakened and hamstrung.
    It’s pretty clear that his ownership of the freeholds is going to decrease the likelihood of serious new owners appearing on the horizon any time soon. Sure, there are probably people sniffing around, but how serious can they be when a cursory look at the books make our short and medium prospect pretty bleak for any investor. 
    So is there anything we can do to encourage Duchâtelet to let go of the freeholds? 
    Protests were successful in altering the way he ran the club, but they weren’t successful in making him fully let go, and I can’t really imagine there would be any support for more trips to Belgium to embarrass the man.
    It still really bothers me that he’s so comfortable right now, but I’m wondering whether it’s worth @castrust approaching him with a request that he considers reasonable offers for the freeholds from potential owners who have the best interests of the club at heart. Perhaps Heather and Lauren might be able to persuade him to reconsider his position? Ok, it’s pretty unlikely, but isn’t it worth trying?
    If/when they were unsuccessful then we might consider coming up with a plan B. 
  • I said it at the time and have repeated it plenty.  When TS bought us he was interviewed saying promotion that year was a bonus, but promotion the following year was the expectation.  It was and remains my strong belief he never even considered a third year in L1.  As Airman says, he had a set amount of money put aside for his project and thought (and said) it would be easy.

He was wrong. It was clear when he bought us he didn't have the unlimited wealth to keep us going for a long period of time.

He talked about how he liked taking high risks and saw it as a badge of honour that his diligence was not as thorough as others.

He was badly mistaken and compounded it by making daft decisions from the very start (£300K on Schwartz the start).

Now his Charlton pot is empty and he is slashing and burning and I would imagine trying to find a way out.  The question is can he hold on to Jan and then sell Leaburn to keep it all going to the end of the season or until someone else comes along.

He is not as calculating as RD was/is and RD is still the reason we remain a basket case but TS has managed to take us even further backwards than we were in RDs time.
     I would also say he had an over inflated understanding of how many fans would walk through the door week after week. I think he assumed that getting Roland away from the place as well as attending plenty of games himself would see many thousands flocking back despite the dirge on the pitch.
    Absolutely, but all comes back to his insufficient diligence which he proudly told us about when acquiring.  
  • swordfish said:
    The Red Robin said:
    What is any buyer actually getting for £25m from Sandgaard?! Absolutely sod all. Anything of value is owned by Roland. 
    They may not be tearing up any trees, but that's a bit harsh on the players, to write off any value in them.
    Are they worth £25m?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Would this all be happening if we were top two or three?
    Isn’t that the point? We’re never going to be top two or three under Sandgaard. 
    Yeah, it’s like a Catch-22. 
    It’s not.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s not.
    Well he's withdrawing finances because he's losing money and promotion looks extremely unlikely, but the more he withdraws financially (eg not investing in the squad) the less likely we are to get promoted. Which is why 'We’re never going to be top two or three under Sandgaard'. Bit of a feedback loop.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I think it’s the separation of the club from the freeholds that is at the heart of our long term problems. 
    Roland is sitting there in Belgium feeling secure in the knowledge that he owns a lump of London real estate that’s earning him a cool half a million quid a year, while leaving Charlton Athletic FC weakened and hamstrung.
    It’s pretty clear that his ownership of the freeholds is going to decrease the likelihood of serious new owners appearing on the horizon any time soon. Sure, there are probably people sniffing around, but how serious can they be when a cursory look at the books make our short and medium prospect pretty bleak for any investor. 
    So is there anything we can do to encourage Duchâtelet to let go of the freeholds? 
    Protests were successful in altering the way he ran the club, but they weren’t successful in making him fully let go, and I can’t really imagine there would be any support for more trips to Belgium to embarrass the man.
    It still really bothers me that he’s so comfortable right now, but I’m wondering whether it’s worth @castrust approaching him with a request that he considers reasonable offers for the freeholds from potential owners who have the best interests of the club at heart. Perhaps Heather and Lauren might be able to persuade him to reconsider his position? Ok, it’s pretty unlikely, but isn’t it worth trying?
    If they were unsuccessful then we might consider coming up with a plan B. 

In the long term, the future ownership of the Valley will become a pressing concern, but we appear to be in the middle on a short term crisis and I'd rather we had an owner invested in making us successful than one looking for the additional security of owning real estate as we aren't under imminent threat of being ousted from the Valley, so Roland is the least of our worries just now provided we keep paying the rent.

The leasing of stadia hasn't always proved a barrier to success for other Clubs and can work well. I think TS had the right idea, but he's messed up and isn't best placed to see it through now. Someone with a similar plan, backed by more money with some footballing nous thrown in, would fit the bill nicely for the next little while.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s not.
    Well he's withdrawing finances because he's losing money and promotion looks extremely unlikely, but the more he withdraws financially (eg not investing in the squad) the less likely we are to get promoted. Which is why 'We’re never going to be top two or three under Sandgaard'. Bit of a feedback loop.
    And why is he losing money?
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s not.
    And why is he losing money?
    It’s not Sandgaards fault we lose money, always going to be the case in league 1 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Surely if he is slashing any costs he can,he should be axing the womens / ladies team before touching the academy ?
    I’m still gobsmacked he paid half a million to acquire them.
    Really? He has already shown he has zero knowledge to own a run a football team so paying such a sum is no surprise at all. Probably a gift for his wife.   
  • The reported £600k for the womens team made me think he was flush because that’s the last thing to spunk dough on if you were on a budget 
    Exactly totally does my head in. I'd far rather see the women's team shut down then cost cutting of the academy and first team coaches etc. 
    I’m not sure I’d want them shut down but I really can’t see what he got for his 500k? Do they have their own stadium? Their own training ground? How much is their squad worth? 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    Surely if he is slashing any costs he can,he should be axing the womens / ladies team before touching the academy ?

• shirty5 said:
    DOUCHER said:

Am I right in seeing that the Women's team made a profit of £318k? 

I'm sure something is incorrect about that. 
  • Well, well! I've just received an email from the club, thanking me for my attendance at the Exeter game and hoping I enjoyed it as much as they did.....I DIDN'T GO!! I was at home not willing to travel down on a Tuesday to watch what had been, up until Tuesday, a pile of crap.
    Yes I'm a ST holder, but have been ti just 3 games this season, due to poor performances. 
    Yet this is the first time they've thanked me for going!! Oh and then asked if I want to buy a ticket for next Monday? I'm a ST holder why would I want to buy a ticket!
    Fuck me they can't even get that right....unbelievable!
    We're Charlton not Real Madrid. If poor performances are going to stop you going then you follow the club. You might as well have saved your money, we've been poor for years!

Although having said that we're actually unbeaten at home.
    Let me add to my comment above. I've supported this club for 62 years, I was there at Upton Park and Shithurst Park....I now live in the East Midlands, and some Saturdays a trip to watch a home game can take a round trip of over 8 hours! I bought a ST knowing, yes knowing, I will never be able to make any mid-week games due to work and not finishing in time to get down to The Valley. However I wanted to help support the club and bought a ST to hopefully help build the 'coffers'. 
    After the recent away performances, I had to weigh up if I was going to go to the game against Oxford on Saturday 1st Oct...I decided against it.....that is MY choice. I've supported the club by paying up-front its MY right to choose which games I go to. To say I'm supporting the wrong club (I guess that's what you were trying to say despite missing out the word wrong!) is offensive to me!
    Im going to consider which games Im going to for the rest of the season!!

Relax, i wasn't having a go at you.
  • To1SCP said:
    Is it just me or are the majority moaning about the attendances the ones that aren't attending?
    i don’t blame him for wanting out, if he does. 
    All the crap he gets on here, i’m surprised he’s still around.
    How many more owners are we going to hound out?
    Agreed not sure he wants out , think people are very blind when it comes to football and owners , just because you get a new owner don’t mean your suddenly going to spend 10 mill on new players ( to be fair to TS not many other league one clubs have spent as much as us since COVID only Ipswich ? ) … who do you want someone like TS who running it like a business which will mean the club will still be a club in 10 years time might not spectacular but there will be good times and bad times or do you want someone who comes in like a bull in a China shop might buy success for 12 months but then puts the club whole existence in doubt because they run out of money …

personally after the last 8 years of neglect and assist stripping .. we need the calm business approach it’s the fans who need to adjust their expectations 
    You're absolutely right. We should indeed be extremely happy with now being an average league one team.
  • To1SCP said:
    Is it just me or are the majority moaning about the attendances the ones that aren't attending?
    Agreed not sure he wants out , think people are very blind when it comes to football and owners , just because you get a new owner don’t mean your suddenly going to spend 10 mill on new players ( to be fair to TS not many other league one clubs have spent as much as us since COVID only Ipswich ? ) … who do you want someone like TS who running it like a business which will mean the club will still be a club in 10 years time might not spectacular but there will be good times and bad times or do you want someone who comes in like a bull in a China shop might buy success for 12 months but then puts the club whole existence in doubt because they run out of money …

personally after the last 8 years of neglect and assist stripping .. we need the calm business approach it’s the fans who need to adjust their expectations 
    Just when I think you have reached the bottom of stupidity you go and surpass yourself. 
    Either that or you really are a wum. 
    Of course he’s a wind up! Don’t know why so many bite, just treat it as a bit of fun 
  • To1SCP said:

Just when I think you have reached the bottom of stupidity you go and surpass yourself. 
    Of course he’s a wind up! Don’t know why so many bite, just treat it as a bit of fun 
    Will do 👍👍
  • To1SCP said:

I know people who know him. He is not a wum. He is a crackpot who believes everything he types. Love is blind and his love for CAFC is a clear case in point.

He was attempting to show off by pretending he deeply cares about women's football and he has lots of money.

Its a way of getting brownie points...even though he's old, married, none of them would be interested in him and no one cares.

Still, I hope it at least helped them out and they used the money to invest in their squad.

Take advantage of it