Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Lewis Fiorini signs on loan from Man City++

Comments

• Options
    msomerton said:
    People seem to miss the point. We need players who can start in the first team straight away. Not spend a month or more getting March fit.
    We need players than will help us now to get wins as we are in a relegation battle and with a run of tough games comming up 
    But no Charlton owners have togo if I jury hit players.
    Why can't we do that and ALSO take punts on players like Fiorini?

As mentioned above by @FishCostaFortune , we wouldn't have CBT at the club right now if we weren't willing to take punts on players.

Punts instead of fit and ready players, obviously no.

Punts on low risk short term contract in addition to fit and ready players, why on earth not?

We’re all waiting for the fit and ready players. Finding the positive angle in a signing like Fiorini isn’t saying we don’t need anyone else.
    We weren't up shit creek without a striker in the building when we signed CBT

We need fit and able bodies and sharpish

I know I know
    It's only the 8th January but our permanents seem to be turning us down or failing medicals   .......
  • Options
    At this stage of the season I can't see the point of bringing in a loan player that isn't match fit.
    We need them to make an immediate impact. 
    To hit the ground running, rather than hit the ground and be injured for three months.
  • Options
    We have had so many talented loan players over the years that I hoped we would sign on permanent deals, we never seem to actually make that a reality, they end up at other clubs. 

So even if this kid does really well why should we see it as anything long term especially since the current owners are already building up a reputation for making good offers...........that get turned down. 
  • Options
    edited January 9
    ValleyBen said:
    We have had so many talented loan players over the years that I hoped we would sign on permanent deals, we never seem to actually make that a reality, they end up at other clubs. 

So even if this kid does really well why should we see it as anything long term especially since the current owners are already building up a reputation for making good offers...........that get turned down. 
    Trying to think of the loans we've had that we made permanent. Gower, Stockley and Shinnie are the first that come to mind which is...not great. John Sullivan? Actually Leon Cort was a good one, and Johnnie Jackson! Ben Amos and Purrington weren't bad permanent signings either. 

Though actually you maybe have to disqualify Amos as he spent a year at Millwall in-between his loan and his permanent signing, which we were very understanding about I think
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    msomerton said:
    People seem to miss the point. We need players who can start in the first team straight away. Not spend a month or more getting March fit.
    We need players than will help us now to get wins as we are in a relegation battle and with a run of tough games comming up 

As mentioned above by @FishCostaFortune , we wouldn't have CBT at the club right now if we weren't willing to take punts on players.

Punts on low risk short term contract in addition to fit and ready players, why on earth not?

We’re all waiting for the fit and ready players. Finding the positive angle in a signing like Fiorini isn’t saying we don’t need anyone else.

I know I know
    It's only the 8th January but our permanents seem to be turning us down or failing medicals   .......
    Our strikers on 2nd September 2021:

Stockley, Washington, Davison, Schwartz (contract mutually terminated just over a month later).

We needed a striker back then, first two were decent but not great, latter two weren’t up to it.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:

Trying to think of the loans we've had that we made permanent. Gower, Stockley and Shinnie are the first that come to mind which is...not great. John Sullivan? Actually Leon Cort was a good one, and Johnnie Jackson! Ben Amos and Purrington weren't bad permanent signings either. 

Though actually you maybe have to disqualify Amos as he spent a year at Millwall in-between his loan and his permanent signing, which we were very understanding about I think
    Going back a bit, Bartlett and Pringle. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    msomerton said:

I know I know

Stockley, Washington, Davison, Schwartz (contract mutually terminated just over a month later).

We needed a striker back then, first two were decent but not great, latter two weren’t up to it.
    Still better than right now when we have, um, Kanu

• Options

Couldn't we get any footage of either of them scoring in that drill?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    ValleyBen said:

And Zheng Zhi! I feel like we went through a phase under Parky of getting absolute jank loans in and making them permanent (kind of like we did with Parky's caretaker stint to be honest). I think we signed Kyel Reid and both Sodjes after loans. Did we do the same with Sorondo and Bart-Williams? mostly terrible, but maybe alongside Bartlett the king of loan to permanent would be Chris Perry
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ValleyBen said:

And Zheng Zhi! I feel like we went through a phase under Parky of getting absolute jank loans in and making them permanent (kind of like we did with Parky's caretaker stint to be honest). I think we signed Kyel Reid and both Sodjes after loans. Did we do the same with Sorondo and Bart-Williams? mostly terrible, but maybe alongside Bartlett the king of loan to permanent would be Chris Perry
    Kyle Reid was good on loan!
  • Options
    I guess my point is, if we do feel this kid is talented, is obviously not wanted by Man City, Appleton rates him and we would like him as part of the long term set up so we see this as more of a trial like loan then I would hope we have done what other clubs sometimes do. 

Negotiated a fee already for if it does go as well as we hope in the next few months. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    msomerton said:

I know I know

Still better than right now when we have, um, Kanu

Even injured, Alfie May is more useful than all of those players put together. No way are we in a worse situation now than in 2021
  • Options
    Minimal game time but hopefully as he builds his fitness up I think he’ll be a positive influence for us 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ValleyBen said:

Kyle Reid was good on loan!
    So was Scott Carson.
  • Options
    Hard to judge when he came on late against a tiring opposition.
  • Options
    Was the only loanee who didn't immediately add something. Hopefully it's just rustinesss 
  • Options
    He looked ragged to me. Way too early to tell how he will turn out though.
  • Options
    Harsh to judge so early but hasn't exactly looked like what we need to progress in his two cameos. Seems like a downgrade on Louis Watson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    He looks like he's going to take a good long while to get fit and knock the rust off, which as we said, is the exact opposite of what we need at the moment. 
    Won’t get long as we’ve got Mcgrandles & Taylor back in training and Camera back very shortly. Can’t see how he gets many minutes ahead of those three. 
  • Options
    looks a good little player .. not sure where he fits 352 … more his formation 433 
  • Options
    So much wrong at the moment with Charlton,unfit loan players doesn’t help the situation.
  • Options
    I've not idea where or why he fits in?
  • Options
    Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - How was anyone supposed to come on as a sub, with just 15mins left and make an impact on the game at 2-0 down?

The players didn't do much wrong in the First Half, so was no need to change it.

They should have had 15mins max after the second goal, to show they could get us back into the game, but instead it clearly finished off any confidence in themselves, and Appleton it seems... I wouldn't even be surprised if Appleton made the subs, purely with a midweek game in mind, rather than having any thought of rescuing the match.
  • Options
    Done nothing both times he's come on as a sub but give the ball away maybe he's not fit but not looking good atm.
  • Options
    From his two cameos so far haven’t see anything to get excited about. I know he’s had injury issues and been on Citeh’s books since a kid so there must be something there. Hope it’s visible sooner rather than later.