Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Silence is deafening today, nothing except Saturdays valley pass ??
    I was thinking that too. The clubs social media channels are very quiet today 
    Plus Muttley went for a suit fitting this morning...
    I turned it down. I'm waiting for a Premier League job.

That's what Curbs said when he turned down the Wolves job when they were in the Championship (Decade ago)
  • Options
    Owner/CEO staying loyal to his manager when 99% of the fan base are baying for his blood.

That really would be unique.
    Not really. There's Steve Bruce for starters.
  • Options
    Recruitment has been awful in the past 18 months.

Who was pulling the strings under Roland? Everyone seemed to claim it was Gallen when it was a good transfer and RD driven when it was a bad signing.

I think the last 18 months have shown that it wasn't just Gallen that made it work.

When was we ever under a transfer embargo with Roland? When did we have owner and friends of owner finding illegal ways to take money from the club with Roland? A lot of last year was a complete write off in terms of recruitment and that had nothing to do with how good Gallen is at his job. 
    In hindsight, maybe the embargo was excellent because it stopped Southall from doing some really awful deals. So yeah I shouldn't have included that. Not much you can do to replace Gallagher and even Leko in January at relatively short notice.

I maintain the last two windows have been disappointing, but sure there's been mitigating circumstances. I think we have had an above-average league one side, but y'know it's not a very talented side in comparison to last time we were down here.

Anyway, we'll see going forward.  o:)
  • Options
    I have a lot of sympathy for what he's ensured. Even since Sandgaard has come in building a promotion winning side is never easy, and when you consider the time left in the 'summer' window and the cap it's not easy. I don't have any issues with us not going up this season, would have been a fantastic achievement if it were to happen. But to get to this stage not knowing his best side, formation or tactics isn't progress, it's the complete opposite. For that reason I've lost faith not only in his ability to winning football matches but transfers in general. He always had the Roland excuse (which wasn't unwarranted) but he's still struggling to build his squad. It's why I haven't agreed with those saying he should be given the summer. I'd genuinely be concerned with what we were left with if he was to stay on and got sacked next September/October. 
  • Options
    Could it also be that there were characters in the dressing room over the past couple of seasons who masked some of Bowyer's frailties in terms of man management? 

Solly, Phillips, Cullen, Sarr, Taylor & Williams were all big hits in the dressing room and clearly had a great spirit which carried them through in lots of ways.

We have a couple of honest Pro's in Pratley in Pearce.... but you need way more than that. 
    I think that’s a very good point
  • Options
    Nearly 24 hours since yesterday's shitshow and I've come on CL for the first time today surprised that he hasn't been sacked yet.

Despite having bought an annual pass I'm not watching on Saturday. I'll have far more fun cutting the grass.
    You could probably cut the grass at The Valley on Saturday between 3 - 5 and be in no danger of being hit by the ball in the half that we are attacking. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Regarding tactics and sets ups, formations etc.

Bowyer was the sort of player that if the manager said your playing right back today, he would go and do it.  Even if he had never played there before.  His basic skill set and knowledge of the game we see him able to "do a job".  But he was a top top player, no one in our current squad is close in terms of that.  Not even Pratley, Watson Gunter etc even when they were 10 years younger.

Millar, in 6 weeks, has played in 5 different positions for us!  That's not normal. 

Roy Keane had similar problems when he was a manager. 

A good manager at this level is able to negate the weakness in his players.

Is the fact the best players under Bowyer are all now playing at a higher level cause or effect?

I don't see any improvement in players with a lower level of potential like JFC, Morgan, Oshilaja. 
     Osilaja has done well most of the given how others around him have played .
    He has but is he a better player than the day he walked in "the building"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Regarding tactics and sets ups, formations etc.

Bowyer was the sort of player that if the manager said your playing right back today, he would go and do it.  Even if he had never played there before.  His basic skill set and knowledge of the game we see him able to "do a job".  But he was a top top player, no one in our current squad is close in terms of that.  Not even Pratley, Watson Gunter etc even when they were 10 years younger.

Millar, in 6 weeks, has played in 5 different positions for us!  That's not normal. 

Roy Keane had similar problems when he was a manager. 

A good manager at this level is able to negate the weakness in his players.

Is the fact the best players under Bowyer are all now playing at a higher level cause or effect?

I don't see any improvement in players with a lower level of potential like JFC, Morgan, Oshilaja. 
     Osilaja has done well most of the given how others around him have played .
    He has but is he a better player than the day he walked in "the building"?
    I think so, we immediately started him at RB where he was fine. We haven't seen him there for a while but at LCB he has looked really decent.

Never alongside Pearce though.
  • Options
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need a clear out from top to bottom tbh. That includes Bowyer, Gallen etc. Now we have an owner with ambition and drive to succeed I'm hopeful that we will do this. We won't be achieving anything under the current set up.

It's a shame but it's not working and it is getting worse by the week. We are in danger of finishing in our lowest ever position and I can only see it getting worse once playoffs are 100% out of reach. The players heads will drop even more playing out dead rubbers till the end of the season. 

If/when Bowyer goes I will thank him for what he's done and had to endure during the other ownerships and wish him well but the time is NOW to pull the trigger Sandgaard, even if it is to get some momentum going into next season.
  • Options
    Anyone that watched the last couple of post match interviews with LB can see he is at the end of his tether. I feel so sorry for him as he obviously isnt thinking straight. When the team was announced yesterday most people looked at it and the general opinion was WTF is he doing ! 5 at the back vrs the team bottom.of the league ? A midfield so immobile I would fancy my chances in a foot race with them ( and I'm knackered ) if most people could see that what an earth was he thinking ? Then to turn around and say publically that he doesnt expect to win against Blackpool ! Is just incredible.

As others gave said he needs a break and in most occupations he would be taken aside and told to take a holiday to recharge his batteries, unfortunately I dont think that can happen in the case of a football manager. 

I also find it sad that many fans are calling him names and being very disrespectful imo he has stuck by us through a nightmare period and deserves our respect for that. But that doesnt change the fact that I honestly cant see him snapping out of his current mindset and that mindset is obviously not working. I would rather end it now before things get worse and he suffers more than he is already. Just sad to watch imo
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    AndyG said:
    When the team was announced yesterday most people looked at it and the general opinion was WTF is he doing ! 5 at the back vrs the team bottom.of the league ? A midfield so immobile I would fancy my chances in a foot race with them ( and I'm knackered ) if most people could see that what an earth was he thinking? 
    Ah so you didn't see the actual team. We all assumed incorrectly that Pratley would be alongside Watson (a pairing that has been part of a team that took 10 points from 12)

We actually had a pretty mobile midfield and Watson looked very decent first half.

Second half we came out looking dejected and broken.

We played 3-4-3

Amos
    Pratley Pearce Oshilaja
    Matthews Shinnie Watson Purrington
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Millar

• Options
    His touch seemed better than I thought he was capable of yesterday. There is a decent player in there.
  • Options
    I think it’s fairly clear he’s here for the rest of the season now so I will be fully behind Bowyer for the remaining third of the season.
    If that’s true, I’m glad I cashed out my bet on finishing in the top half of the league!
  • Options
    Imagine how bad we might have been if there were crowds in the stand with plenty of boooooooing going on cos that would have put the players off and made them worse 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine how bad we might have been if there were crowds in the stand with plenty of boooooooing going on cos that would have put the players off and made them worse 🤷‍♂️
    Don’t think it would have been that bad, it’s hardly likely the ground would be full. Not after so many weeks of poor, poor performances.

I also think that LB, JJ, and the players know they have now dipped to their lowest point in the fans eyes. Which is why I’m looking forward to Saturday, because if they don’t put in a performance, and can’t motivate themselves, then the LB era must be over. And that means a clear out of quite a lot, so none of them are safe. I really hope this is as low as it gets performance wise and we do turn it around, LB, JJ, on paper are the ideal Charlton fit, too good to be true, or just another pipe dream. We shall see!
  • Options
    I think it’s fairly clear he’s here for the rest of the season now so I will be fully behind Bowyer for the remaining third of the season.
    I'll 100% be behind him to turn things around and for us to go on a run.

But until I see evidence of that happening in results and feedback on here I won't be watching another minute on Valley Pass. The football is just awful to watch currently. 

I preferred it last season when we had a bunch of kids, fighting against quality teams like Leeds - then watching us get torn apart by a sloppy team like Burton. 
  • Options
    Crafty57 said:
    Don’t think it would have been that bad, it’s hardly likely the ground would be full. Not after so many weeks of poor, poor performances.

I also think that LB, JJ, and the players know they have now dipped to their lowest point in the fans eyes. Which is why I’m looking forward to Saturday, because if they don’t put in a performance, and can’t motivate themselves, then the LB era must be over. And that means a clear out of quite a lot, so none of them are safe. I really hope this is as low as it gets performance wise and we do turn it around, LB, JJ, on paper are the ideal Charlton fit, too good to be true, or just another pipe dream. We shall see!
    If that's true, that would tell its own story.  I suspect the ground would have been full earlier in the season. 
  • Options
    Would booooooing this team make them worse or better 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I don't see how it could make them worse at the moment.  I suspect the second halves against Wimbledon and Rochdale might have been very different though. 
  • Options
    I can't imagine it would make them better. Has it ever improved a team? (serious question)
  • Options
    If Bowyer stays, I won't be buying anymore games. Can't bare to watch this rudderless team drift into mid table any longer. 
  • Options
    Genuinely can’t believe he’s still in charge. What on earth is going on?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!